Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post your "Way too Early " 2018 Mock's

On 10/28/2017 at 12:41 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

If no tackle is worth a high pick then we should go defense not wanting a guard if we end up with a top 5 pick and I sure don't wanna trade down to the middle of the round 

None of the defensive picks are worth it, unless you want to draft another safety(Derwin James). 

On 10/28/2017 at 11:16 AM, IndyScribe said:

Key has some red flags. We can get Bradley Chubb later in the draft who I think can be better than Key. I think SF only goes Barkley if they sign Cousins in the offseason. I can see Giants drafting him as well. 

There’s absolutely no chance Barkley makes it past the Giants. RB is their worst position group and Barkley is the best player in this draft regardless of position.

It's bad when it only week 8 and you're ready for the offseason... oh well.

This mock was done on fanspeak using their bigboard.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S - no trades allowed, but think it would be a good move for us to trade down and get this guy along with an extra pick(if we end up picking 4th, like this site projects). Could be a #1 corner as well as a fill in safety if a starter is injured.

2. Billy Price C - under the condition he or ryan kelly can transition to guard. Reinforce the line.

3. Alan Lazard WR - Big playmaker for the offense. Recently watched film and liked what I saw. 

4.Cameron Smith LB - both LB spots are a mess. Here's the first upgrade. Not the fastest, but is instinctual and a right-place-Right-time kind of guy.

5. Teagray Scales LB - second LB upgrade, but more of an athletic type to give the defense flexibility. Very intruiging film.

6. Tony Adams OL - I would use every pick on the o-line if we didn't have so many other needs. Here is a body to protect 12.

7 Rashaad Penny RB- Not sure how I managed to get this guy in the 7th. I absolutely love his film and wouldn't be surprised to see him go 2nd or 3rd round. Either way, here is a battering runner with a good all around game, good vision, and excellent balance to complement Mack's style. 

If we trade down in the first and select Minkah Fitzpatrick, maybe we can also get an OT or another WR With whatever pick we could get in addition to the lower first rounder. something to that effect. 

Feedback welcome.

So this Jimmy Garropolo trade makes it virtually impossible for the Colts to have any chance of getting Barkley. He’ll go to either The Giants or the 49ers before us. This is good because it means an extra QB will be available and we can explore trading down.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So this Jimmy Garropolo trade makes it virtually impossible for the Colts to have any chance of getting Barkley. He’ll go to either The Giants or the 49ers before us. This is good because it means an extra QB will be available and we can explore trading down.

I think the 49ers just did the same.  Secured a QB so they can get a haul for the 1 or 2 pick.  They have some needs and a lot of picks will help.  Lynch has looked good for a new GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I think the 49ers just did the same.  Secured a QB so they can get a haul for the 1 or 2 pick.  They have some needs and a lot of picks will help.  Lynch has looked good for a new GM.

Miami just traded Ajayi. They could look to move up for Barkley. Cardinals might also want to trade and get a QB.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Miami just traded Ajayi. They could look to move up for Barkley. Cardinals might also want to trade and get a QB.

I think the Cards finish below the Colts. If a good QB is there, I could see them moving up and trading with the Colts. I can see SF moving down. All that's left is the Giants. I can see them winning a few more games. If they don't, they could go O-Line instead of Barkley. 

On 10/28/2017 at 9:41 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

If no tackle is worth a high pick then we should go defense not wanting a guard if we end up with a top 5 pick and I sure don't wanna trade down to the middle of the round 

You don't want to drop back? I'd look for a team around the 8-13 looking for a QB. Hopefully we aren't in that situation ourselves. 

We need help all over the D still. LB's are the biggest problem We don't have a guy who should be a starter inside and still need that explosive edge. IMO Smith ILB from UGA is the safe pick. I think his teammate Carter might be a day 2 steal on the edge. 

I would try to add Norwell LG from Carolina and Zach Fulton RG/C from KC in FA. That should take care of the interior OL finally. Didn't Dumb and Dumber declare that their off season focus not so long ago?  

Then Jordan Mathews at WR. He should be a good value after being in Buffalo. We pair him with TY that should work. That will fill the biggest holes on O if Good can hold down RT. 

This draft is loaded at RB again we can get the thunder to Mack's lightening day 3. Then we focus on D and BPA. I really hope the interior OL is addressed in FA. Clark looks like a dog and Haeg is a back up. A 5th round multi positional back up isn't so bad but Clark not sure he wants to block. 

On 10/31/2017 at 11:39 AM, Defjamz26 said:

The season is only half over, we still have a very good shot of finishing worse than both of them lol

13 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The season is only half over, we still have a very good shot of finishing worse than both of them lol

This is a valid point.  Jimmy might get them some wins.  WE also might get a few more wins as well.  The Browns IMO are almost the lock for the 1st pick again.

23 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is a valid point.  Jimmy might get them some wins.  WE also might get a few more wins as well.  The Browns IMO are almost the lock for the 1st pick again.

Yep, NYG and SF play each other so somebody has to win that one. I actually think SF can get a win at home against AZ this weekend. Giants will win a few more before the season is over. Browns may not win a game at all this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yep, NYG and SF play each other so somebody has to win that one. I actually think SF can get a win at home against AZ this weekend. Giants will win a few more before the season is over. Browns may not win a game at all this year.

The 49ers might be able to but Beathard is not that good and Jimmy needs some time before he is thrown in.  They have the ability to be a little different than us and have Jimmy take a few weeks to learn the system.

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

You don't want to drop back? I'd look for a team around the 8-13 looking for a QB. Hopefully we aren't in that situation ourselves. 

We need help all over the D still. LB's are the biggest problem We don't have a guy who should be a starter inside and still need that explosive edge. IMO Smith ILB from UGA is the safe pick. I think his teammate Carter might be a day 2 steal on the edge. 

I would try to add Norwell LG from Carolina and Zach Fulton RG/C from KC in FA. That should take care of the interior OL finally. Didn't Dumb and Dumber declare that their off season focus not so long ago?  

Then Jordan Mathews at WR. He should be a good value after being in Buffalo. We pair him with TY that should work. That will fill the biggest holes on O if Good can hold down RT. 

This draft is loaded at RB again we can get the thunder to Mack's lightening day 3. Then we focus on D and BPA. I really hope the interior OL is addressed in FA. Clark looks like a dog and Haeg is a back up. A 5th round multi positional back up isn't so bad but Clark not sure he wants to block. 

I want to drop back no further then 9th 

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Jimmy is a piece for the future, not now. I’m not expecting him to start/play this year.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jimmy is a piece for the future, not now. I’m not expecting him to start/play this year.

You're NOT expecting him to play or start this year?!?

Goodness gracious!      

We started Brissett two weeks after we got him.   Why would SF NOT play Jimmy for EIGHT GAMES?!?

He will sit for a few weeks while he gets up to speed on the playbook.   Once he's ready,  Jimmy will play and start the rest of the season.

The 49ers gave up a top of the 2nd round pick to get him and see what he could do. They're not keeping him on the sidelines.

EDIT:    Having now read the story, I'll just say I'll believe it when I see it.    I think it would be nearly unprecedented and bordering on coaching malpractice. I think this is Shannahan trying to tamp down expectations.

6 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Bingo. Even Shanahan is tempering expectations of him playing this year. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870851/article/shanahan-49ers-might-not-play-garoppolo-this-year

I'd put the chances of Garropolo NOT playing the rest of this season at roughly.......     LESS than 1 percent.

They didn't trade what looks to be the 33rd or 34th overall pick in the draft to sit Garropolo on the bench for 8 games.

That is NOT happening.      As soon as he's up to speed on the playbook,  you'll see him play.      Likely in the week following the 49ers BYE week.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd put the chances of Garropolo NOT playing the rest of this season at roughly.......     LESS than 1 percent.

They didn't trade what looks to be the 33rd or 34th overall pick in the draft to sit Garropolo on the bench for 8 games.

That is NOT happening.      As soon as he's up to speed on the playbook,  you'll see him play.      Likely in the week following the 49ers BYE week.

I wont be surprised either way tbh. 

This is the same team that just sent out questionnaires asking fans if winning was important to their gameday experience. haha

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

This is the same team that just sent out questionnaires asking fans if winning was important to their gameday experience. haha

Did they REALLY?

Oh!     My!     GOD!!!

That is terrible.      They're sports fans.     What does the team think they want?!?

ALL sports fans want their team to win.     Of course it's important.     They don't show up just for the tailgating

Goodness gracious.....      shaking my damn head!     

This deserves a face palm!!          :facepalm:

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're NOT expecting him to play or start this year?!?

Goodness gracious!      

We started Brissett two weeks after we got him.   Why would SF NOT play Jimmy for EIGHT GAMES?!?

He will sit for a few weeks while he gets up to speed on the playbook.   Once he's ready,  Jimmy will play and start the rest of the season.

The 49ers gave up a top of the 2nd round pick to get him and see what he could do. They're not keeping him on the sidelines.

EDIT:    Having now read the story, I'll just say I'll believe it when I see it.    I think it would be nearly unprecedented and bordering on coaching malpractice. I think this is Shannahan trying to tamp down expectations.

Remember though that Shanahan’s system is said to be more complex than most. I don’t think it’s something you can run efficiently in just a few weeks. So that’s one reason.

I also think they’re protecting their investment. You don’t want to just thrust him into the starting role on a winless team, with little time with the playbook, and with no familiarity with the receivers. And they’re OL isn’t exactly stout either. You could ruin his confidence like that. That’s a lot to put on his plate right off the back.

Take a full offseason to teach him the playbook, surround him with talent via the draft and FA, and then let him start.

Jimmy will play this year imo.  They have 8 games to try and see what they have with him.  I would bet he plays the last 3 or 4 games.  See what you have with him and make sure you do not have the next Matt Cassel....lol!

I do not believe Jimmy and Matt are in the same class that was a joke, before anyone freaks out.

8 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

From what I have heard, many teams had the same type of questions as it was based on a league wide questionnaire.  They had some team specific questions but a lot of the questions were sent from the league marketing department.  Just from what I have heard though.

22 hours ago, akcolt said:

Nope. I'd rather have a generational talent than a few solid starters. If it's back one pick because someone want sto pick a QB, then sure. None of the defensive talent is worth a top 5 pick as of now. If Barkley is there, take him. Otherwise, look at trading down. Smith isn't worth a top 5 pick. The O-Line market sucks this year. The only good player is Pugh, from the Giants, who might not even be hitting FA. For WR, sign Watkins, Landry, or Robinson, not Matthews. 

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Nope. I'd rather have a generational talent than a few solid starters. If it's back one pick because someone want sto pick a QB, then sure. None of the defensive talent is worth a top 5 pick as of now. If Barkley is there, take him. Otherwise, look at trading down. Smith isn't worth a top 5 pick. The O-Line market sucks this year. The only good player is Pugh, from the Giants, who might not even be hitting FA. For WR, sign Watkins, Landry, or Robinson, not Matthews. 

I think it is too early to assess the draft class.  Once you start to see all the draft profiles and pro day plus the combine happens you always see different players move or this guy is better than expected.  I would happily trade back a few spots for some extra picks though.  If Barkley is available at our pick (maybe 3 or 4) I am looking to trade back in a heart beat.  He is a great RB but you can get some very good RB's in the later rounds.

Why not Matthews?  Usually if you go against someone you then explain why.... 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Remember though that Shanahan’s system is said to be more complex than most. I don’t think it’s something you can run efficiently in just a few weeks. So that’s one reason.

I also think they’re protecting their investment. You don’t want to just thrust him into the starting role on a winless team, with little time with the playbook, and with no familiarity with the receivers. And they’re OL isn’t exactly stout either. You could ruin his confidence like that. That’s a lot to put on his plate right off the back.

Take a full offseason to teach him the playbook, surround him with talent via the draft and FA, and then let him start.

Garropollo doesnt have a contract for 2018.     If JG doesn't play then the 49ers won't know what they have and will struggle trying to figure out what to pay him.

Garropolo HAS to play to see what they traded for.     Another poster already predicted...   Week 12, right after the 49ers BYE week.     JG will have had three weeks to learn the playbook.    It won't be perfect,  but it should be good enough.

• Like 1

Here's another draft I would love for the Colts...

-Indy trades 3rd overall pick to New York Jets for their 7th overall, 2nd, 4th round picks.

1st (via trade) - OT Connor Williams 

2nd - OG Quenten Nelson

2nd (via trade) - ILB Roquon Smith

3rd - CB Carlton Davis

4th - RB Royce Freeman

4th (via trade) - OLB Lorenzo Carter

5th - WR Quandree Henderson

6th - OT Tyrell Crosby

7th - Best S available 

Analysis - Instant upgrades on the OL. Finally a sideline to sideline playmaking ILB. Another lengthy corner to pair with Wilson as the starting CBs. A bruising RB to pair with Mack for the future. An added pass rusher. An underrated WR in the mold of Tyreek Hill. Depth at OT and S. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Here's another draft I would love for the Colts...

-Indy trades 3rd overall pick to New York Jets for their 7th overall, 2nd, 4th round picks.

1st (via trade) - OT Connor Williams 

2nd - OG Quenten Nelson

2nd (via trade) - ILB Roquon Smith

3rd - CB Carlton Davis

4th - RB Royce Freeman

4th (via trade) - OLB Lorenzo Carter

5th - WR Quandree Henderson

6th - OT Tyrell Crosby

7th - Best S available 

Analysis - Instant upgrades on the OL. Finally a sideline to sideline playmaking ILB. Another lengthy corner to pair with Wilson as the starting CBs. A bruising RB to pair with Mack for the future. An added pass rusher. An underrated WR in the mold of Tyreek Hill. Depth at OT and S. 

I will say it is still early but with a lot of buzz on some guys I do not see Nelson in the 2nd and definitely do not see Smith in the 2nd.  I could be wrong as it is still early though.  Nelson is the top guy at his spot and many, MANY teams see the importance of this position and the o-line altogether.  Smith is getting pushed up his position list each week.  He is solid and IMO will be a mid 1st rounder.  

Just trying to provide some discussion anyways...good draft and would absolutely LOVE for this to happen!

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Garropollo doesnt have a contract for 2018.     If JG doesn't play then the 49ers won't know what they have and will struggle trying to figure out what to pay him.

Garropolo HAS to play to see what they traded for.     Another poster already predicted...   Week 12, right after the 49ers BYE week.     JG will have had three weeks to learn the playbook.    It won't be perfect,  but it should be good enough.

I think it will be very interesting if he comes in and plays poorly or even average. At that point what do the 49ers do? 

Is it due to him not knowing the playbook enough? Lack of talent around him? Is he just bad/ not fit for the scheme? 

I think it leaves them just as confused as to how they should pay him. Other teams are going to pay a decent chunk of money to bring him in regardless, so it leaves SF in a tough position. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

True. We’ll see if they risk it. Maybe they’ll just bet on him like the Texans did with Osweiler. Didn’t work out for them but they don’t have to give him as much guaranteed money.

21 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think it will be very interesting if he comes in and plays poorly or even average. At that point what do the 49ers do? 

Is it due to him not knowing the playbook enough? Lack of talent around him? Is he just bad/ not fit for the scheme? 

I think it leaves them just as confused as to how they should pay him. Other teams are going to pay a decent chunk of money to bring him in regardless, so it leaves SF in a tough position. 

If the 49ers don't want to lose him,  then they can slap the tag on him and have him for another full year to see what he can do.

If the 49ers want to gamble,  they could let him hit the open market and see what kind of offers JG gets.    And then,  since they likely will have the most money,   they could offer more.     But then we're talking about a 4-5 or even 6 year deal with a big signing bonus that is market driven.      I wouldn't take that chance.      I'd use the tag,  but that would make JG a $20 Mill+ player.      Pricey for a guy that has never played a full season.      This is the mess that Washington got themselves into and they had him in their own building since drafting him.

Here's my "Save Luck" Mock draft:

4: R1P4

OT CONNOR WILLIAMS
TEXAS
36: R2P4

LB ROQUON SMITH
GEORGIA
68: R3P4

G WILL HERNANDEZ
UTEP
106: R4P4

RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO STATE
142: R5P4

CB DUKE DAWSON
FLORIDA
183: R6P4

WR DAESEAN HAMILTON
PENN STATE
226: R7P4

DL KENTAVIUS STREET
NORTH CAROLINA STATE
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the 49ers don't want to lose him,  then they can slap the tag on him and have him for another full year to see what he can do.

If the 49ers want to gamble,  they could let him hit the open market and see what kind of offers JG gets.    And then,  since they likely will have the most money,   they could offer more.     But then we're talking about a 4-5 or even 6 year deal with a big signing bonus that is market driven.      I wouldn't take that chance.      I'd use the tag,  but that would make JG a $20 Mill+ player.      Pricey for a guy that has never played a full season.      This is the mess that Washington got themselves into and they had him in their own building since drafting him.

Exactly. And once hes tagged he can use that amount as leverage for a high price contract going forward, much like Cousins has been attempting to do in WAS. 

Its a tough situation for SF any way you look at it. 

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's my "Save Luck" Mock draft:

4: R1P4

OT CONNOR WILLIAMS
TEXAS
36: R2P4

LB ROQUON SMITH
GEORGIA
68: R3P4

G WILL HERNANDEZ
UTEP
106: R4P4

RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO STATE
142: R5P4

CB DUKE DAWSON
FLORIDA
183: R6P4

WR DAESEAN HAMILTON
PENN STATE
226: R7P4

DL KENTAVIUS STREET
NORTH CAROLINA STATE

I’ve got a few mocks in my notes that look like that, but I have McGlinchey instead of Williams. 2nd round is either Smith or Victor for me at ILB. Don’t think you need a RB in the 4th though.

On 11/1/2017 at 2:55 PM, DaColts85 said:

The 49ers might be able to but Beathard is not that good and Jimmy needs some time before he is thrown in.  They have the ability to be a little different than us and have Jimmy take a few weeks to learn the system.

The 49ers are going to want to look at Garopolo for as many games as possible. They are by no means locked into him. They only gave up a 2nd, and although looked good for the Patriots, past history says he may not make the cut, and they decide to draft QB anyway. I am sure they hope he succeeds. I hope he does as well and wins some games, so we can move into a higher slot, but this move does not assure Jimmy G. is their QB next year. Likely yes, but they will want to see him get as many reps as possible before making a decision.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve got a few mocks in my notes that look like that, but I have McGlinchey instead of Williams. 2nd round is either Smith or Victor for me at ILB. Don’t think you need a RB in the 4th though.

I'll be stunned if we don't take a RB between R's 3-5.      

Otherwise,  Gore will be gone and we will have Mack, Turbin and Jones.    

And all we will have gotten out of back to back great classes of running backs is Mack,  who it's not clear is an every down back.

I'll be hugely disappointed if we don't take a back.      I just doubt that Penny will be available in R4.

11 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

The 49ers are going to want to look at Garopolo for as many games as possible. They are by no means locked into him. They only gave up a 2nd, and although looked good for the Patriots, past history says he may not make the cut, and they decide to draft QB anyway. I am sure they hope he succeeds. I hope he does as well and wins some games, so we can move into a higher slot, but this move does not assure Jimmy G. is their QB next year. Likely yes, but they will want to see him get as many reps as possible before making a decision.

No disagreement here.  They should want to play him at least 6 out of the 8 games remaining.  I will say that Shanahan can still be smart and make sure Jimmy G is setup right with a solid understanding of the playbook though.  He does not have to throw him to the wolves like we did with Brissett.  We hoped for something to start the season, and they already know there's is over.  To me that is a big difference.  Shanahan mentioned possibly not playing him this year and I think that is a load of crap.  Like you mentioned he has no contract next year so they will for sure want to see what they have.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'll be stunned if we don't take a RB between R's 3-5.      

Otherwise,  Gore will be gone and we will have Mack, Turbin and Jones.    

And all we will have gotten out of back to back great classes of running backs is Mack,  who it's not clear is an every down back.

I'll be hugely disappointed if we don't take a back.      I just doubt that Penny will be available in R4.

I was thinking LJ Scott in like Round 5. A bigger back to pair with Mack.

• Like 1