Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The injury bug this season

Lucky Colts Fan

We all know that injuries happen every season, but this is a tense time of year hoping that you don't lose any starters for the season.  We currently have injury concerns with Luck, both starting safeties, and a handful of guys from the trenches.  http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Training-Camp-Injuries-To-Watch/3c9acdf0-fcab-4328-bfdb-51b4e66e6fb5

Hopefully we can go the next six weeks without any major injuries, because a guy having his season end in the preseason is just the worst.  I was really hoping to see all the starters play in the week 3 preseason game in Pittsburgh.  The Colts starters against the Steelers starters would have been a good test for our team before the regular season starts.

The injury bug might cause another slow start this season, but luckily we play the Browns and our only four NFC opponents, including the Rams and 49ers, in the first five weeks.  It looks like it will be possible to have everyone healthy and clicking for a playoff push the 2nd half of the season.  Our last 11 games are all against AFC opponents, including all six division games and a showdown with the Steelers before our bye week.

:clover:

14 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

It's unbelievable that these modern day players are so fragile. I sure don't remember these hamstring and the like injuries in the 70's and 80's.

Just like all youth today, these guys are softer, are coddled more,  and because of the money they make , they can "afford" to sit.

also, because of the investment mad in these guys, i think teams are more cautious.  The union also makes it difficult now to cut players for injuries. Can u imagine if us in the "real world" tried that crap?

i also think athletes of today have their bodies tweaked as high as they will go. Think of a ferrari vs a toyota camry.  Which is gonna have more problems?  Add in off-season training which doesn't allow the body to rest and heal like it needs.  Then soft camps with less hitting and tackling:

i think there are lots of reasons for this.

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Just like all youth today, these guys are softer, are coddled more,  and because of the money they make , they can "afford" to sit.

also, because of the investment mad in these guys, i think teams are more cautious.  The union also makes it difficult now to cut players for injuries. Can u imagine if us in the "real world" tried that crap?

i also think athletes of today have their bodies tweaked as high as they will go. Think of a ferrari vs a toyota camry.  Which is gonna have more problems?  Add in off-season training which doesn't allow the body to rest and heal like it needs.  Then soft camps with less hitting and tackling:

i think there are lots of reasons for this.

sports nutrition and conditioning has advanced, and players are on average bigger and stronger.

More muscle mass --> easier to tear soft tissue. Especially when players bulk up quickly and their supporting structures can't adapt fast enough. 

27 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

It's unbelievable that these modern day players are so fragile. I sure don't remember these hamstring and the like injuries in the 70's and 80's.

Not to say there isn't some truth to the "soft and coddled" narrative, but the NFL didn't have the type of injury disclosure and transparency rules that they do now either, and with the access that social media gives everyone, we usually know the severity of injuries within 12 hours.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We all know that injuries happen every season, but this is a tense time of year hoping that you don't lose any starters for the season.  We currently have injury concerns with Luck, both starting safeties, and a handful of guys from the trenches.  http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Training-Camp-Injuries-To-Watch/3c9acdf0-fcab-4328-bfdb-51b4e66e6fb5

Hopefully we can go the next six weeks without any major injuries, because a guy having his season end in the preseason is just the worst.  I was really hoping to see all the starters play in the week 3 preseason game in Pittsburgh.  The Colts starters against the Steelers starters would have been a good test for our team before the regular season starts.

The injury bug might cause another slow start this season, but luckily we play the Browns and our only four NFC opponents, including the Rams and 49ers, in the first five weeks.  It looks like it will be possible to have everyone healthy and clicking for a playoff push the 2nd half of the season.  Our last 11 games are all against AFC opponents, including all six division games and a showdown with the Steelers before our bye week.

I wouldn't call it a bug. The only starter that's scheduled to miss any regular season games as of right now is Geathers. Aside from Luck and Hooker being on precautionary preseason PUP, we're in pretty decent shape heading into camp.

The only thing PUP means at this point is that the players aren't ready to practice fully yet. We know Luck is going to be awhile, since he just started throwing. The others shouldn't be delayed significantly, based on what little we know so far. Ballard was optimistic about Langford and Schwenke yesterday, and the reports say Hooker 'tweaked' his hamstring, which is a 1-2 week issue, usually.

34 minutes ago, BPindy said:

sports nutrition and conditioning has advanced, and players are on average bigger and stronger.

More muscle mass --> easier to tear soft tissue. Especially when players bulk up quickly and their supporting structures can adapt fast enough. 

U said it better than my attempt.

and i'm sure hgh type meds are much more prevalent than we think.

for the potential payoff, its no wonder many will risk a few games of suspension.

14 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not to say there isn't some truth to the "soft and coddled" narrative, but the NFL didn't have the type of injury disclosure and transparency rules that they do now either, and with the access that social media gives everyone, we usually know the severity of injuries within 12 hours.

This is true about the disclosure, but back then the players were available and played on Sunday. Today they sit on the sideline and collect a check for somewhat minor injuries they played with in the past.

Just the hangover from last season. 

Geathers was always going to take a while. Neck's can't be rushed.

Luck is on track to be back for the season. Definitely don't want him to be trying to do too much too soon.

Langford is rehabbing from the home stretch of last season.

Hooker just tweaked his hamstring. He'll be practicing in 2 weeks probably.

No need to panic.

14 hours ago, will426 said:

Lol oh it's premature on the actual BUG  this is just the small egg of the bug the actual bug will hit in a couple days and we'll lose the entire defense somehow liked it's always been unfortunately..

Hooker could be back on the active roster in a matter of days or a week or two depending on how bad that Hamstring is they said minor so I figure a week now the others who knows.

Who remembers growing up and playing little league and having the coach say "ahh......just rub some dirt on it .......you'll be fine!"?  Those were the days.  Of course nobody was getting hit like they do in the pros.

all three of those starting players were injured before this off season. They're also out of football shape because of it. Hooker will heal up quickly. And I don't anticipate Andrew being anything but healthy. Unfortunately things aren't looking the best for Geathers. But with Butler there I'm not worried about safety, game 1. 

17 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Every generation thinks the next is "soft and coddled"

Socrates said "“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”"

A reporter for Times magazine at the start of the US involvement in WW2 wrote essentially that the generation of soldiers we where sending to fight the war was too soft and coddled to win it.  Remember that. . . the silent generation called the greatest generation "soft and coddled".  

There is very little truth to it.  The truth is that athletes are bigger and faster and they hit harder.  

We can actually see into people and see the soft tissue injuries.  They are real, they arn't just some kid complaining about an owie.  And being soft and coddled doesn't make one's ACL more likely to tear.  

If there is any truth to it then it's the result of teams being more careful with injuries especially in camp.  That's not cause the kids are soft and coddled but because starter level talent is harder to replace.  But make no mistake if these kids can physically play when it's the regular season or the playoffs, they do.  

18 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

This may be true but the larger majority of those older player have a lot of life long injuries they are dealing with today. We have some who have lost their life due to brain injuries and also the use of steroids that were not banned back then.

We have old players who cant walk without limps because of knee and hip replacements.

The new stats just put out said that 90% of all the brains that have been donated had CTE.

I understand some feel these players are paid enough but how much pay is worth the issues the majority of ex players have to deal with after football?

Another thing injuries were not reported back then. The fear of losing their jobs kept a lot of players from even reporting injuries. That's not as prevalent as in the past because the named starters are the best of the best.

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This may be true but the larger majority of those older player have a lot of life long injuries they are dealing with today. We have some who have lost their life due to brain injuries and also the use of steroids that were not banned back then.

We have old players who cant walk without limps because of knee and hip replacements.

The new stats just put out said that 90% of all the brains that have been donated had CTE.

I understand some feel these players are paid enough but how much pay is worth the issues the majority of ex players have to deal with after football?

Another thing injuries were not reported back then. The fear of losing their jobs kept a lot of players from even reporting injuries. That's not as prevalent as in the past because the named starters are the best of the best.

I thought it was 99% CTE, no? Either way, that's a lot.

4 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

This is true about the disclosure, but back then the players were available and played on Sunday. Today they sit on the sideline and collect a check for somewhat minor injuries they played with in the past.

You're gonna have to provide some examples, because I just flat out don't buy that line of thinking at all.

19 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Don't believe the 3rd game really matters. I get its the dress rehearsal but still a vanilla game

Now, we play Pittsburgh this year in the regular season. A team along with New England that we've yet to beat in the Andrew Luck era.

That's when you'll find out if we belong in the playoffs or not. 

7 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Don't believe the 3rd game really matters. I get its the dress rehearsal but still a vanilla game

Now, we play Pittsburgh this year in the regular season. A team along with New England that we've yet to beat in the Andrew Luck era.

That's when you'll find out if we belong in the playoffs or not. 

I agree. The 3rd game may have a few starters playing maybe a half or more but we will not see anything close to a full game plan.

20 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You're gonna have to provide some examples, because I just flat out don't buy that line of thinking at all.

Jack Youngblood played with a broken leg. Players didn't miss multiple games with turf toes and hamstring injuries. The availability of modern day players is almost laughable in all sports.