Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Defense

csmopar

All this talk with the draft coming up and whether or not we should trade up/down etc, got me to researching some stuff, kind of stumbled on some numbers I thought were very interesting regarding our D.

for 2016, our Defense was ranked 6th in the league in red zone stops. We allowed fewer TDs in the redzone than teams like Denver, Houston etc.  It was the long plays that burnt us.

But I also noticed something telling about when we allowed scores.

We were ranked 10th in the league in fewest points allowed in the 1st Quarter of games and 11th in in the 3rd quarter.  However, we ranked 24th in the 2nd quarter of games and 28th in the 4th quarter.  What this confirms to me anyway is the lack of quality depth on Defense and while I know this is nothing most of us didn't know already, I was surprised at how well our D did when fresh.  This also shows me that it is very likely with some smart pieces, we can be a much better D this coming year and we're not as far away Defensively as I initially thought.

Just some food for thought

5 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I havent been impressed by the Colts defense in the first half of any game the last couple of years. Seems to me the offense is in constant catch up mode.

yeah.... but guess what..... the offense starts EXTREMELY slow.  Guess where they rank in terms of 3 and out drives in the first half. 24th in terms of the number of 3 and outs in the first half...... the 2nd half..... we rank 12th.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

for 2016, our Defense was ranked 6th in the league in red zone stops. We allowed fewer TDs in the redzone than teams like Denver, Houston etc.  It was the long plays that burnt us.

When you can score in 3 plays, who needs the red zone?

1 hour ago, jet1968 said:

I havent been impressed by the Colts defense in the first half of any game the last couple of years. Seems to me the offense is in constant catch up mode.

You must of forgot about when we played The Bengals. Completely shut them out all four quarters. About the only highlight of our defense actually playing top notch.

8 minutes ago, Beizy317 said:

You must of forgot about when we played The Bengals. Completely shut them out all four quarters. About the only highlight of our defense actually playing top notch.

The Colt defense is like leap year.  They show up once every four years.

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

yeah.... but guess what..... the offense starts EXTREMELY slow.  Guess where they rank in terms of 3 and out drives in the first half. 24th in terms of the number of 3 and outs in the first half...... the 2nd half..... we rank 12th.

Yes, this has caused us at least a few losses in and of itself.  It's almost like our offense is only good when the defense is tired or in prevent.  We need to be able to take the ball down the field on opening drives and impose our will against a fresh defense.  This means consistent blocking up front and genuine mismatches that favor us.  By the way, Ballard actually mentioned that he thought Swoope was a mismatch player and wanted to see his ceiling.  

8 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Defense duh

The dude is a complete bust. Hasn't played in over two years, is coming off a huge suspension for PEDs, he sucked before the suspension. 

But again, what's he got to do with our defense 

46 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The dude is a complete bust. Hasn't played in over two years, is coming off a huge suspension for PEDs, he sucked before the suspension. 

But again, what's he got to do with our defense 

He didn't fit into MIA system. We need edge rusher who can play out in space which he does well. 

5 minutes ago, a06cc said:

He didn't fit into MIA system. We need edge rusher who can play out in space which he does well. 

Since we already signed mingo, why not grab jordan? It would have to be for vet. min. + minimal incentives. 

Just now, life long said:

Since we already signed mingo, why not grab jordan? It would have to be for vet. min. + minimal incentives. 

I was think the same. I remember a few years ago the forum wanted him. He does fit what we're asking from our defense. Although we're simplifying the defense so guys read and react quicker. 

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

I was think the same. I remember a few years ago the forum wanted him. He does fit what we're asking from our defense. Although we're simplifying the defense so guys read and react quicker. 

Because he's one steroid shot from a indefinite suspension and hasn't played in 2 years and he is way out of shape by all reports

21 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

There's even a lot of stuff the offense can clean up, many of the drives were killed by dropped passes, bad penalties and other stuff.  There's still room for a ton of improvement on both ends.

Dropped passes are drive killers and need to be cleaned up. Maybe that is why Aiken was brought in. 

IMOP their was a lot of mistakes on offense last year that needs to be cleaned up this year, The o-line will at least be in in its second year together. Luck had a shoulder injury so his throwing accuracy and strength was not their why was he even playing do not know should of pulled him when season was lost to have surgery to repair shoulder. I think Turbin and Gore can handle the running duties for now or up or until  a new RB the colts choose to select in the 3rd or 4th can get up to speed. The Defense is where the problem is, FA helped so far the LB core which will help for now if the Colts are able to have a good draft and bring in a couple more FA they can start building a good defense to a least compete next year.  If correct they still 33 million in free money so lets see what happens. 

If you look over the roster right now, we don't have any pro-bowl, or "impact" players on the defense at all --- with the possible exception of Vontae Davis. 

We don't have any singular run stopper, pass rusher, linebacker --- anything. We have gotten younger and maybe some of our younger guys, the safeties in particular, will rise up.

But it looks bleak. 

we got rid of all the guys who were ONCE "star" players, Adams, Jones, DQ, Mathis, etc. 

Not saying we shouldn't have, but the roster is bleak

Let's hope we get a defender or two with potential in the draft.

On 3/31/2017 at 3:01 PM, Beizy317 said:

That was like the only year our D was playing really solid down the stretch until we played the Patriots in the playoffs.