Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

There will be a lot more over the next few years.....  but as of right now?  Kyle Long and David DeCastro make 10M per, Osemele 11.7 per, and Zeitler 12 per.  Bar's been set.  Not sure why anyone of their caliber going forward would be paid any less?  Hell, Leary just got signed for 8.7 per, and that was after a year of being a backup... albeit on a stacked line.

Zack Martin will likely elevate those numbers further when he signs an extension with Dallas, likely next year. 

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think the guys who study this team far more regularly than we do can better make that judgement.   I mean we're like one day into this thing so slow ya roll bro.

As of right now, GB is better than us. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. Their overall team is better, and they will get more compensatory picks then us. Maybe it will change in a year or two, but it's a fact of now. Has nothing to do with the Colts FO judging it better than us.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How many of the playoff teams from last year have made big splashes in FA thus far?

How many are getting multiple compensatory picks? How many have more complete teams than us? They are also playoff teams, we aren't. We need the extra boost.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How many of the playoff teams from last year have made big splashes in FA thus far?

I would've liked to see us go the NE route. Sign one high level guy to a high priced, but necessary, deal and then duck out to see what else happens. They got an amazing CB... I feel like that's the way we need to play free agency. Not to say that everything won't be fine but I'm just giving my preference 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

How many are getting multiple compensatory picks? How many have more complete teams than us? They are also playoff teams, we aren't. We need the extra boost.

No.  We need to sign good players.   You don't have to sign guys who are being severely over paid.   Bad teams do it every year,  then they are cap strapped a few seasons later.   Big time free agent signings are rarely worth the cap space they eat.     The smart GMs know that

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

so far the majority teams making the biggest splashes, ahem, suck

Exactly my point. They suck, so they need the help. We suck as an overall team, yet we aren't filling any holes or getting any top tier FA's. This is why it's all screwed up.

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I would've liked to see us go the NE route. Sign one high level guy to a high priced, but necessary, deal and then duck out to see what else happens. They got an amazing CB... I feel like that's the way we need to play free agency. Not to say that everything won't be fine but I'm just giving my preference 

There are still quality players available that fill holes we have

Just now, jvan1973 said:

No.  We need to sign good players.   You don't have to sign guys who are being severely over paid.   Bad teams do it every year,  then they are cap strapped a few seasons later.   Big time free agent signings are rarely worth the cap space they eat.     The smart GMs know that

What makes you think Ballard will do any better than Grigson in FA besides blind hope? He's doing what Grigson did and it seems he will get middle of the road guys to fill in holes. This didn't work for 5 years with Grigson. Doubt it will work now. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Exactly my point. They suck, so they need the help. We suck as an overall team, yet we aren't filling any holes or getting any top tier FA's. This is why it's all screwed up.

And way too many times, the sucky teams signing the big dollar FA still suck.  You can't build a team through FA.  

What makes you think Ballard will do any better than Grigson in FA besides blind hope? He's doing what Grigson did and it seems he will get middle of the road guys to fill in holes. This didn't work for 5 years with Grigson. Doubt it will work now. 

how about, instead of getting all worked up barely an hour and a half into free agency, we wait a day or two and see what has happens? 

THIS IS HOW CONSISTENTLY GOOD TEAMS ARE BUILT!!!

You bring in mid-level FA's that are solid fixtures to plug holes, then go BPA in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

have you happened to notice that most of those teams tend to suck...year after year after year and never really get much better?

what makes you think he wont do better? Lots of teams run their organizations the same way and have success. It all comes down to how good you are at evaluating talent. Grigson was terrible, and as of right now we dont know how good Ballard is. Give the guy more than 2 hrs before you crown him a failure. 

Just now, Shive said:

THIS IS HOW CONSISTENTLY GOOD TEAMS ARE BUILT!!!

You bring in mid-level FA's that are solid fixtures to plug holes, then go BPA in the draft.

yup...get your role players and depth in FA and your playmakers in the draft.  that's not to say you can't splurge on a FA playmaker here and there, and there are still some available we could still get this year (that may come as a surprise considering how doomed we already are).

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

And way too many times, the sucky teams signing the big dollar FA still suck.  You can't build a team through FA.  

There's one big difference between us and them, we have a franchise QB in a weak division. So a couple top FA signings along with a great draft would make us playoff contenders. The other sucky teams can't say that unless they get a Dak Prescott in the draft this year.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The point that some of us are trying to make is this: the good teams do not go nuts in FA because they are built through the draft over a span of a few years and make smart money decisions in the open market.  Get good quality players in FA to supplement depth and get your play makers through the draft.  It is cheaper and more effective.  The Colts are taking the Green Bay model which is to build through the draft.  This rebuild of the defense might take longer than one year.  You cannot make the necessary moves to build the defense and do it correctly in one off-season.  I think that you can make enough improvements for the defense to compete but probably not have a great defense as that will take time.

It didn't work.because he signed mostly bad players.   There are plenty of good players left

Have you noticed that those teams that suck year after year don't have a QB? We do.

takes more than a QB.  you really shouldn't post when you're upset.  you get completely argumentative and won't listen to the slightest bit of reason.  take a break, take a breath, let's see how things play out in the next few hours/days before declaring ballard to be Grigson 2.0

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I just want one FA. Poe or Brandon Williams. I don't want to build through FA. 

I hear ya.  But one FA isn't going to make us a Superbowl team.  It would be nice to pick up a few proven players, or just one, but we need to let Ballard do his job.  I bet he and Irsay have had plenty of conversations about the approach.

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

what makes you think he wont do better? Lots of teams run their organizations the same way and have success. It all comes down to how good you are at evaluating talent. Grigson was terrible, and as of right now we dont know how good Ballard is. Give the guy more than 2 hrs before you crown him a failure. 

I'm fine with Ballard right now. Most people are giving him the benfit though out of blind faith and homerism just because he's the Colts GM and he's done nothing yet. All I see is a pattern of repeating Grigson's mistake in FA. You have to spend in FA, so might as well not spend it at the bargain bin.

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

yup...get your role players and depth in FA and your playmakers in the draft.  that's not to say you can't splurge on a FA playmaker here and there, and there are still some available we could still get this year (that may come as a surprise considering how doomed we already are).

Exactly!

There's one big difference between us and them, we have a franchise QB in a weak division. So a couple top FA signings along with a great draft would make us playoff contenders. The other sucky teams can't say that unless they get a Dak Prescott in the draft this year.

i concur