Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Speculation] Jack Doyle to test free agency (Merged)

TigerColt

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think he was a good pick. But his health issues should have been enough for us to let him walk. It sucks though because Coby wasn't good enough for a 2nd contract either..

The health issues are exactly the reason they should not have signed him 

Keep in mind, everyone, that Doyle isn't Ballard's guy. (I know, I know, none of them are). But the point is: in negotiations, Ballard won't have the same attachment as an old GM (don't wanna say his name) would. Obviously the coaching staff and film will show Ballard that Doyle is an above-average TE who did WORK last year but you can bet on the fact that Ballard will easily NOT overpay Doyle cause he doesn't have any attachment to him. 

That being said, I want Doyle back if at a reasonable price. 4 million a year for a couple years is a decent and fair deal for both sides. 5 million and more? Not so much. Doyle can probably easily find a team that is willing to give him 5 million a year but I think he would prefer to stay in Indy so we'll see what happens. Either way, its not the end of the world. I trust Ballard because he will stick to his guns and approach everything consistently. Overpaying in free-agency is not how a new GM who praises building through the draft is gonna operate. 

People on this website are consistently wrong about money.     More times than not,  they are way too low in the offers they think the Colts should make.

And, then from time to time,   they offer way too much to get the player they have a crush on.

You can often visit Spotrac to give you an idea of what the market looks like for a free agent target.

The market for Doyle is roughly 5.5--6 mill per year over 4 years. 

We can afford it if we want to.....     we have the money.

26 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Cutting Gore would be dumb at this point. Not required. 

Why?  He will be 34 when the season starts and wants to win a Super Bowl.  Gore only has a few years left and Indy likely won't be a Super Bowl competitor in the next couple of years.  Cutting him is a win for everyone.  He can sign with a contender to make a run at a Super Bowl in these last few years (Packers?), the Colts get more cap space, and we can bring in younger talent to our roster.

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Tell us why we can't afford him again please? If he is a player the Colts think makes us better, I can see no financial reason not to, unless he is being ridiculously greedy.

it's the balance of finances spent towards proportion of resources. fiscally just not responsible 

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Tell us why we can't afford him again please? If he is a player the Colts think makes us better, I can see no financial reason not to, unless he is being ridiculously greedy.

If he is coming at the rumored 5+ m a year we have to let him walk. We need to use all our resources to improve def and oline. Let's not be greedy and spend starting te money for a luxury position. Unless we cut Allen we have to roll with what we have. I like Doyle but if he is asking for what I think he deserves we have to let him walk. That being said I would love to have him back at 3.5m a season but let's be honest might take closer to 6m no thanks 

1 hour ago, masnerj said:

Keep in mind, everyone, that Doyle isn't Ballard's guy. (I know, I know, none of them are). But the point is: in negotiations, Ballard won't have the same attachment as an old GM (don't wanna say his name) would. Obviously the coaching staff and film will show Ballard that Doyle is an above-average TE who did WORK last year but you can bet on the fact that Ballard will easily NOT overpay Doyle cause he doesn't have any attachment to him. 

That being said, I want Doyle back if at a reasonable price. 4 million a year for a couple years is a decent and fair deal for both sides. 5 million and more? Not so much. Doyle can probably easily find a team that is willing to give him 5 million a year but I think he would prefer to stay in Indy so we'll see what happens. Either way, its not the end of the world. I trust Ballard because he will stick to his guns and approach everything consistently. Overpaying in free-agency is not how a new GM who praises building through the draft is gonna operate. 

I know he isn't a Ballard pick. But I have a feeling Doyle is going to be a top 5 TE next year if he leaves. He has some of the best hands I have ever seen for a TE. As good as Dallas Clark's hands or better. Not as athletic though. He is improving as a blocker as well. But Swoope has potential to be really good as well IMO. Wouldn't be opposed to signing one and trading them later to get a 3rd or 4th for one of our TE's. 

7 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

If he is coming at the rumored 5+ m a year we have to let him walk. We need to use all our resources to improve def and oline. Let's not be greedy and spend starting te money for a luxury position. Unless we cut Allen we have to roll with what we have. I like Doyle but if he is asking for what I think he deserves we have to let him walk. That being said I would love to have him back at 3.5m a season but let's be honest might take closer to 6m no thanks 

Really. That extra 1 mill per year will turn around our crumbling D? It won't make a scratch.....

3 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Really. That extra 1 mill per year will turn around our crumbling D? It won't make a scratch.....

I understand your logic , I'm just under the impression that if Ballard is as good as they we need to get deep on def work with what we have on off luck gonna have to just elevate guys like we have seen great qbs do over the years 

20 hours ago, MPStack said:

I think someone will pay him D. Allen type money. If that does end up being the case, the Colts should let him walk. I can`t see two TE`s with contracts like Allen`s on the same team. 

I agree with this. Jack Doyle is good, but he is not special imo. Also with Swoope emerging as the down the field threat and Allen playing such an important role in blocking schemes as well as receiving, I don't think you have a choice. Plus if someone pays him D.Allen type of money which I would not doubt since the FA class is so poor this year with a dearth of WR's and TE's, he will get more money in FA because of the cap cash out there. The one good thing, and I think we need to think like Baltimore at times. If someone pays him D. Allen type money, we will get around a 5th or 4th round comp. pick for him depending on money. I can see him being paid easily what Fleener got in this market. He is multi-skilled which makes is skill set more appealing, in a league shifting to more TE looks!

Just now, braveheartcolt said:

Smoke and mirrors. Stop trying to be uber smart. We can afford him easily. Nice try.

roster structure is why you're not running the team. 12mil plus invested en 2avg TEs w 1 often injured is stupid

17 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

What is your off season plan if you don't mind me asking, resign Doyle ,Butler, Adams etc...? 

Yes. Keep or resign our 'average' players, because we do not have a magic wand, and we cannot draft or FA the majority of the D in one year. Every team, including the Pats have average players starting. It's the nature of the NFL.

Just now, braveheartcolt said:

More smoke and mirrors. Ps - none of us are running this team. We are all just fans. 

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

More smoke and mirrors. Ps - none of us are running this team. We are all just fans. 

yu want to avg players I understand 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Why?  He will be 34 when the season starts and wants to win a Super Bowl.  Gore only has a few years left and Indy likely won't be a Super Bowl competitor in the next couple of years.  Cutting him is a win for everyone.  He can sign with a contender to make a run at a Super Bowl in these last few years (Packers?), the Colts get more cap space, and we can bring in younger talent to our roster.

I cannot believe you wrote that. You want to lose the best rusher we've had since Edge, so he can have a go at winning a SB somewhere else. And you know as well as I do, having extra cash does not guarantee we find a better running back. Sure, his days are numbered, but he can still help this club.

18 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

. The one good thing, and I think we need to think like Baltimore at times. If someone pays him D. Allen type money, we will get around a 5th or 4th round comp. pick for him depending on money. I can see him being paid easily what Fleener got in this market. He is multi-skilled which makes is skill set more appealing, in a league shifting to more TE looks!

Well, saying we "will get" is a bit premature because that also depends on who we sign.  It would give us some leverage though and I agree with the principle idea :)

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

If average players are the worst we have, in amongst our too players, we will be in the AFCCG next season. I can see you think we can have 25 Pro bowlers......and that extra million we save on Doyle will get us that. 

bruh shutup yu wanna keep Adams and Doyle lol dnt assume what I want bc at this point your banning tops that list w your mediocre mindstate 

14 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I cannot believe you wrote that. You want to lose the best rusher we've had since Edge, so he can have a go at winning a SB somewhere else. And you know as well as I do, having extra cash does not guarantee we find a better running back. Sure, his days are numbered, but he can still help this club.

Yeah.... it makes no sense at all to cut Gore.  On top of the on field he is a force in the locker room and veteran glue for the team.

25 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

bruh shutup yu wanna keep Adams and Doyle lol dnt assume what I want bc at this point your banning tops that list w your mediocre mindstate 

Shutup. LOL. 'w'. Are you thirteen?

I guess you think Ballard went to Hogwarts. 'Spelliamos' and whoosh. Top 5 Defense here you are. Grow up.

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

This team cannot compete with Pittsburgh and New England.  We need to get younger and bring in new talent to set the foundation of what will hopefully be continued strong play and contending for a championship.  Frank Gore is going to retire within 3 years whereas the Colts will be rebuilding for the next year or two.  Cut him so he can pursue a championship with a contender while the Colts rebuild.  The Colts can acquire a young and cheap running back from the draft since the class is loaded at running back.  Gore gets a chance to win a Super Bowl, Indy saves money and can bring in a young and talented running back in the draft.

40 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Shutup. LOL. 'w'. Are you thirteen?

I guess you think Ballard went to Hogwarts. 'Spelliamos' and whoosh. Top 5 Defense here you are. Grow up.

im human boi, I express myself how I feel like it ... doesn't take away frm you're idiocy. all though your rhetoric shows your true colors. 

14 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This team cannot compete with Pittsburgh and New England.  We need to get younger and bring in new talent to set the foundation of what will hopefully be continued strong play and contending for a championship.  Frank Gore is going to retire within 3 years whereas the Colts will be rebuilding for the next year or two.  Cut him so he can pursue a championship with a contender while the Colts rebuild.  The Colts can acquire a young and cheap running back from the draft since the class is loaded at running back.  Gore gets a chance to win a Super Bowl, Indy saves money and can bring in a young and talented running back in the draft.

bruh really doesn't get it lol 

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

We agree on a lot. But not this time. We need a big rebuild for sure, but we can bring in a young RB along side Frankie, no need to let him go this year.

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Yes. Keep or resign our 'average' players, because we do not have a magic wand, and we cannot draft or FA the majority of the D in one year. Every team, including the Pats have average players starting. It's the nature of the NFL.

I agree with your comments but the colts stink at all three drafting, fa, and resigning guys 

2 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I guess you won me over hey if Doyle works out we maybe able to get out Allen's big contract a little early 

No winning or losing JB, just a good debate. Never been a big Allen fan, so unless he has a stellar 2017, I think the dead money may be palatable next year......

22 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I don't think he's a must keep.  He is an above average TE, but it's not like he is a superstar that would break our team apart if he left.

Yes, exactly.  He's a good player, but he's not a great player worth overpaying for.  He should obviously get a raise, but he doesn't need to break our bank.  He isn't irreplacable.

Not really.  Swoope showed signs of improvement as a receiver last year, but not enough to be confident he's going to be the answer, plus he isn't the blocker Doyle is.  Allen has struggled with health issues most of his career, as well.  If Doyle leaves, we have Swoope and Allen as the only 2 TEs on the roster -- which to me is not 'deep' by any means.

I'd like to see Doyle brought back, but only if it's at a reasonable price.  There is no reason we need to be breaking the bank for him.  I am sure we can draft or find a FA at TE that isn't going to be a major drop off from Doyle.  That said, if he leaves, we definitely have a need for TE.

You mean like Grigson did for Allen last year? I didn't agree with that move when it happened. Doyle, IMO, is a better player than Allen especially when you consider that he stays healthy. I think Doyle is also a great influence to have on the team and in the locker room. To me, that adds to his value. But that's just me. Doyle is worth keeping at the price Allen got last year. JMO