Indeee

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 weeks ago Irsay said "I anticipate making no changes at HC or GM." 

Why are people expecting Irsay to come out right now and either confirm or deny that?  Everyone should just assume right now that no changes will be made.  Is that so hard?  Yeah, I get things might change.  If something is going to change, Irsay will do like he always does and say "Hang tight, announcement coming soon."  And it's usually hours later until something is actually announced.  Everyone needs to just relax.  We aren't going to be caught off guard by any Irsay presser.  The contents of it may shock you, but everyone and their mother will be present because that's just how Irsay does his big announcements.  Always has.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Perhaps,  he doesn't see it as a problem.   No need to announce that guys that are under contract are coming back.

Sure but keeping your fan base in limbo is a great way to show you care about them after they buy all the tickets and gear every year and line his pockets.

What a joke of an owner Irsay has become if he is keeping his fans out of the loop and all along intended to bring these two back. He deserves another mediocre season if no changes are made. 

Keeping his fans out of the loop?

Were you on mars when he announced a couple weeks ago that he didn't anticipate any changes, or are you so dense that you don't understand what is going on?

Irsay isn't going to hold a press conference to repeat himself because a big bunch of you can't take a damn hint.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

The post I replied to implied to whichever coaches are better than Pagano. Clearly no HC is perfect, but there's plenty out there including assistants who if given the chance could do better than Pagano. What has Pagano done other than inherit a franchise QB that led them to an AFC title game, and then regressed every year since?

They've regressed every year since going to the AFC title game.  That is true.  So they've regressed for 2 years.  The first year of regression was due to Luck missing 9 games, or did you miss that?  And despite everyone and their brother claiming that the Colts were a 2 win team without Luck, they still managed to put together an 8-8 season without him.  If Luck missing 9 games wasn't justification for a bit of a regression then what planet are you from?

That makes this past season, 2016, the only time they actually regressed.  Guess what?  There are a number of factors that played into that as well.  I've stated them so many times on this board I should just put it in my sig, but here we go:

1. All new offensive coaching staff which means new schemes and terminology

2. New blocking scheme for the OL installed by new OL coach Philbin

3. Nearly half of the OL group were rookies

4. Recurring injuries, especially to that OL as well as the secondary.  Every team has injuries, but not every team has to shift their starting OL on a week to week basis and seldom do you see a team get hit with injuries to 4 of their top 5 defensive backs at the same time.

5. All new defensive coaching staff with possible scheme and terminology changes

Based solely on the new offensive coaching staff, new defensive coaching staff and scheme changes, if you didn't think that there could be some regression and struggles this year then you're living in the Madden world. 

Just now, Dustin said:

Imagine if we had a coach that people on here didn't have to make excuses for. 

Like who?  Many wanted Dungy fired because he "would never win a superbowl"  No fan base will ever be collectively happy.    I was fine if Pagano was fired,   but I also understand we could do far worse.

I don't understand why so many are upset with Irsay not calling a press conference or saying anything. 

Everybody knows that Grigson and Pagano are under contract through 2019, so unless he wanted to fire one of them, or both, he doesn't need to say anything right now. He has enough time between now and scouting combine to give interviews.

Pagano holding a press conference yesterday fulfilled all media obligations.

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I could name a good amount of coaches I'd rather have over Pagano. 

Belichick

Pete Carroll

Andy Reid

Mike Tomlin

Mike McCarthy

John Harbaugh

Sean Payton

Ron Rivera

Those are just a few who are MUCH better coaches over Pagano. At least those coaches have an identity with their team and have more consistent showings on Sunday's. Indy is an attractive job so I don't buy the argument that maybe Irsay can't get a home run or quality hire. 

I'm glad you posted this.  Like I said, I'll give you Belichick.  He and Tommy have clearly sold their souls.

I know you said these are the coaches you'd rather have.  I respect that, but how have they done?  Have they really been better than Chuck?

So, let's compare teams with franchise QBs and that have as least as much talent as ours since 2012.

McCarthy - has arguably the best QB in the league.  Hasn't been to a SB since 12, right?  Pack have been up and down since then.

Tomlin - 8-8 back to back records in that span

Rivera - wildly inconsistent records

Payton - come on man

Carroll - so much talent, but not running the ball at the one to win the SB? 

Reid - never really had a franchise QB, good coach, but hasn't taken a team as far as Chuck in the last 5 years.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Like who?  Many wanted Dungy fired because he "would never win a superbowl"  No fan base will ever be collectively happy.    I was fine if Pagano was fired,   but I also understand we could do far worse.

"Eh could be worse"

This is definitely the mentality of a team that should be competing for Super Bowls. 

13 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Keeping his fans out of the loop?

Were you on mars when he announced a couple weeks ago that he didn't anticipate any changes, or are you so dense that you don't understand what is going on?

Irsay isn't going to hold a press conference to repeat himself because a big bunch of you can't take a damn hint.

What was he gonna say then, that he was chucking both of them?  That interview was noncommittal at best, and his statement of not anticipating changes was immediately followed with the caveat that things are always subject to change......  he left it as open as he really could have.

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Imagine if we had a coach that people on here didn't have to make excuses for. 

I really don't think it matters who we hire if he doesn't get to the SB or wins a SB. Most people in here would bash him as well IMO. Chuck went 11-5 his first 3 seasons and got us to the Championship Game and now some in here think he is the worse Coach ever because of two 8-8 seasons.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't think it matters who we hire if he doesn't get to the SB or wins a SB. Most people in here would bash him as well IMO. Chuck went 11-5 his first 3 seasons and got us to the Championship Game and now some in here think he is the worse Coach ever because of two 8-8 seasons.

that's called spoiled fan base.

21 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why are people expecting Irsay to come out right now and either confirm or deny that?  Everyone should just assume right now that no changes will be made.  Is that so hard?  Yeah, I get things might change.  If something is going to change, Irsay will do like he always does and say "Hang tight, announcement coming soon."  And it's usually hours later until something is actually announced.  Everyone needs to just relax.  We aren't going to be caught off guard by any Irsay presser.  The contents of it may shock you, but everyone and their mother will be present because that's just how Irsay does his big announcements.  Always has.

There is a lot of speculation in the media that Grigson/Pagano might be gone. From what I understood reporters were at the Colts complex all day yesterday waiting for confirmation either way. I have a difficult time believing that Irsay isn't aware of the speculation.

If you are not considering a change then wouldn't you want to end the speculation?

There was speculation that Hugh Jackson might be fired but after the Browns game on Sunday Jimmy Haslem said he was staying. The Jets also announced they were keeping their GM/Coach after their game on Sunday.

Maybe local media in Cleveland/New York is handling their inquiries different compared to the local Indy media. It just doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the Colts to confirm they are keeping Grigson/Pagano when there are questions surrounding their job security. Perhaps what Cleveland/New York did isn't the normal thing to do if you are keeping your GM/coach. I don't know. It's Irsay's team so he can do whatever he wants.

18 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

They've regressed every year since going to the AFC title game.  That is true.  So they've regressed for 2 years.  The first year of regression was due to Luck missing 9 games, or did you miss that?  And despite everyone and their brother claiming that the Colts were a 2 win team without Luck, they still managed to put together an 8-8 season without him.  If Luck missing 9 games wasn't justification for a bit of a regression then what planet are you from?

That makes this past season, 2016, the only time they actually regressed.  Guess what?  There are a number of factors that played into that as well.  I've stated them so many times on this board I should just put it in my sig, but here we go:

1. All new offensive coaching staff which means new schemes and terminology

2. New blocking scheme for the OL installed by new OL coach Philbin

3. Nearly half of the OL group were rookies

4. Recurring injuries, especially to that OL as well as the secondary.  Every team has injuries, but not every team has to shift their starting OL on a week to week basis and seldom do you see a team get hit with injuries to 4 of their top 5 defensive backs at the same time.

5. All new defensive coaching staff with possible scheme and terminology changes

Based solely on the new offensive coaching staff, new defensive coaching staff and scheme changes, if you didn't think that there could be some regression and struggles this year then you're living in the Madden world. 

I understand injuries and having young players but why is having a new coaching staff an excuse? The team had an entirely new staff in 2012 and went from 2-14 to 11-5. Numerous other teams have also made the leap and won games after changing coaching personnel around.

23 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If I recall correctly, Irsay said something like "I don't anticipate making changes at this time, but that may change".  I think that's what gives people the idea that Pagano and/or Grigson might be fired

1 minute ago, Restored said:

I understand injuries and having young players but why is having a new coaching staff an excuse? The team had an entirely new staff in 2012 and went from 2-14 to 11-5. Numerous other teams have also made the leap and won games after changing coaching personnel around.

The key word in your post "excuse"

2 minutes ago, ar7 said:

There is a lot of speculation in the media that Grigson/Pagano might be gone. From what I understood reporters were at the Colts complex all day yesterday waiting for confirmation either way. I have a difficult time believing that Irsay isn't aware of the speculation.

If you are not considering a change then wouldn't you want to end the speculation?

There was speculation that Hugh Jackson might be fired but after the Browns game on Sunday Jimmy Haslem said he was staying. The Jets also announced they were keeping their GM/Coach after their game on Sunday.

Maybe local media in Cleveland/New York is handling their inquiries different compared to the local Indy media. It just doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the Colts to confirm they are keeping Grigson/Pagano when there are questions surrounding their job security. Perhaps what Cleveland/New York did isn't the normal thing to do if you are keeping your GM/coach. I don't know. It's Irsay's team so he can do whatever he wants.

Yeah, there's speculation from no one within the organization.  I don't care what reporters "speculate."  When the owner says "nothing's gonna happen."  That should be the end of it until he comes out and says he changes his mind.  The media speculates on everything and we get everything from non-stories, to fabrications, and whatever media nonsense.  

To the bolded - He said he's not considering a change, so I don't know why anyone thinks he is.  Why does he need to come out on Black Monday and say something he said 3 weeks ago?  And even then, people would speculate he would make changes because they want him to.  Media wants a story, fans want change.  So it doesn't matter if he says anything today, people who don't like his response are going to continue to "speculate" changes are coming.