Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Much Of Peyton's Injury Is Based On Mis-Management?

GoGoColts

I am thinking both in terms of poorly maintaining the offensive line and the organization being aware of the injury and not pulling the plug on him.

If I am not mistaken I have heard Dungy talk about the play where he "believes" Peyton's neck injury began. It was a regular season game against Washington in 2006 and Peyton ran a QB sneak and was completely ROCKED. Now we can't know for sure but I would assume Peyton called that play. I dont think any blame should be with the organization, unlike Adrian Petersons injury.....

If I am not mistaken I have heard Dungy talk about the play where he "believes" Peyton's neck injury began. It was a regular season game against Washington in 2006 and Peyton ran a QB sneak and was completely ROCKED. Now we can't know for sure but I would assume Peyton called that play. I dont think any blame should be with the organization, unlike Adrian Petersons injury.....

It was against the Redskins. I remember watching the play and thinking it looked painful.

It's wasn't a qb sneak it was a pass play and the protection broke down or the redskins coverage held up because peyton was actually hit by two different defenders and got twisted in a weird position as they were hitting him. One guy went low and the other went high twisting peyton's neck in the process. The play is on the superbowl dvd, and its a nasty hit the stadium went quiet and peyton was down for about a minute. He was angry when he got up, then he came back in the second half and threw three touchdowns.

I'm fairly certain it was against Washington, but it wasn't a QB sneak, it was on a pass where he was bent in a couple of different directions, and his helmet was knocked off...

pm01.jpg

Of course, he torched them in the 2nd half...

I think part of it is also what people are told who have that kind of injury. You are told that through conventional paths, you can fix the problem. But very rarely does that happen. Peyton took the non-surgical approach, when in 20/20 hindsight having the surgery from the get go would have helped him more.

I don't think that the Washington play was a sneak - it was a sack in which he was pulled in two directions. It looked like someone was trying to remove his head from his body. I was incredibly relieved to see him stay in the game as if nothing was wrong. It seemed too good to be true. Maybe it was.

I don't know that it's possible to determine exactly when the injury took place. If that play had ruptured a disk right then, he probably would have lost the use of some muscles immediately, and not been able to throw the ball. And don't forget that his first surgery was on a different disk (I believe) from the 2nd/3rd, which makes it even more confusing. The first surgery apparently solved whatever problem he was having at that time, and the second problem didn't become apparent until this past off-season.

But that brings me to a point where I do agree with you. I've been a big Polian supporter, but I did find it unacceptable that the line was allowed to deteriorate. When you have a Peyton Manning, priority number one is keeping him healthy. The season before last was just an enormous cringe-fest of watching him run for his life - and getting crunched repeatedly. I have to assume that whatever issue he had surgery for this past offseason was dropping hints during the season. He probably gutted it out, when immediate attention would have been far smarter in the long term.

I'm hoping even if his arm strength isn't back, that Peyton is pain free after the fusion. It seemed like he was hurt most of the last season he played.

He was IMO. Some of the picks were God awful and very unlike him and for his skills.

I am hoping it was not even going back to 2009 and 2008 too.

Yeah that one is a few posts up... I don't see how he got up.

Oops, sorry.

But even that one isn't the "worst" moment. That arm kept on moving and took his head with it. I'll never understand how that wasn't a penalty, fine and all that. The idea is to tackle someone, not kill him.

----

Couldn't have been all that much fun for his lower back either.

Edited by MAC

Oops, sorry.

But even that one isn't the "worst" moment. That arm kept on moving and took his head with it. I'll never understand how that wasn't a penalty, fine and all that. The idea is to tackle someone, not kill him.

----

Couldn't have been all that much fun for his lower back either.

No apologies needed... There aren't many images of that play, but you're right, that isn't the worst one, but it is still pretty bad.

That one was in slow motion from the start... Really scary moment.

I was happy and shocked that he came back in to play. I saw him smelling that "salt" thing on the sidelines. That play was in the Colts Championship DVD. I looked at that over and over again when I was watching...

He was IMO. Some of the picks were God awful and very unlike him and for his skills.

I am hoping it was not even going back to 2009 and 2008 too.

I do not remember it this way at all. At the begining of the year he was said to be having an MVP year. It was not till all of the injuries to the recievers and o line that he started to look human. The colts had 0 run game and the opposing d only had to defend the pass. He had to make incredible plays with no time in the pocket. He would have won the patriot game if his hand was not hit on the last pass that was int. When all practice squad players had time to work with 18 the colts won their way into the playoffs. I think he had a great year with what he had to work with

I'm fairly certain it was against Washington, but it wasn't a QB sneak, it was on a pass where he was bent in a couple of different directions, and his helmet was knocked off...

pm01.jpg

I remember that play pretty vividly. So did Peyton apparently because he came out in the second half and absolutely punished the Redskins.

pm01.jpg

If you look at this picture, #93 is hitting Manning exactly where he is supposed to if Manning is on his feet. If Manning is standing up, that is a solid hit square in the numbers. Pretty much the target zone for hitting a QB. The problem is that just before #93 got there, #99 brought Manning to his knees. That turned a textbook hit to the chest into a hit to the neck that bent Manning back in a very bad position. I've argued it many times, and I still maintain that this was not a dirty hit on the part of the Redskins. It was just a matter of two players getting to Manning at the same time and causing an awkward hit. I don't think there was any intent to injure. When you have 22 big, strong guys running at full speed hitting each other, sometimes you don't hit the target exactly where you were aiming......especially when it moves at the last second.