Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game Ball....Chud

ztboiler

For whatever nits I could pick about the second half rhythm....can't overlook that Chud put together an amazing plan to get this team out of the blocks fast, and it was the difference in the game. 

He got us as much "easy offense" against a good defense as I can remember since the Manning years.

We don't have a cruise control gear, we might need one if we do get ahead on the Steelers to convert 3rd downs and stay on the field, even if it results in just FG additions to the lead.

I was saying the same thing watching the game with my friends at BW3, that this reminded me of the Peyton years when we would put up 21 or 28 by half time.

Just now, Jdubu said:

Then after he got that lead, he pulled off and the offense looked like poop. 

That isn't true. The O was constantly looking for big gains. It came down to execution. Two big drops from TY and Allen deflated the offense. In fact, you might blame Chud for being too aggressive, calling slow developing plays with Luck keeping the ball in his hands longer.

Just wished that when Colts drew the offside penalty late in the 1st half and went from 4th and 6 to 4th and 1 that they would have gone for the kill and went for it... instead they go for the FG and with the miss the momentum seemed to change big time....  I know AV is money, but we had the foot on their throat and the offense was pretty much unstoppable.  A first down and if nothing else we control the clock and don't give them 2 mins to get back into the game.  Being aggressive seemed to be a theme right up till that point, just would have liked to see it go the entire game.  20/20 hindsight though....  W is a W... on to the next must win game...

GO RAIDERS

15 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

That isn't true. The O was constantly looking for big gains. It came down to execution. Two big drops from TY and Allen deflated the offense. In fact, you might blame Chud for being too aggressive, calling slow developing plays with Luck keeping the ball in his hands longer.

If your point is looked at, that falls on the head coach to make the offense start again. Slow developing plays, aggressive down the field throws, making Luck hold the ball longer with a non existent run game. These are all things the OC should have readjusted in game to call quick throws and higher % routes instead of lower % deep routes. Press the gas pedal back down, give luck some throws to get his rhythm back down and the team some confidence and wear down the opposing defense. It's like the OC says well, this was the plan we drew up in the halftime session, have to stay with it, even as we aren't being successful with it because the opposing defense is doing well defending it. Drops happen in a game. The TY ball was a tough catch but great receivers make those. Allen is just not a reliable option to throw to and if he catches something, it's just gravy in the scheme. Throw more to Doyle, he is pretty good. I don't blame this offense flaming out because we had these 2 drops, I blame the OC for not readjustment to the second half game plan. 

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If your point is looked at, that falls on the head coach to make the offense start again. Slow developing plays, aggressive down the field throws, making Luck hold the ball longer with a non existent run game. These are all things the OC should have readjusted in game to call quick throws and higher % routes instead of lower % deep routes. Press the gas pedal back down, give luck some throws to get his rhythm back down and the team some confidence and wear down the opposing defense. It's like the OC says well, this was the plan we drew up in the halftime session, have to stay with it, even as we aren't being successful with it because the opposing defense is doing well defending it. Drops happen in a game. The TY ball was a tough catch but great receivers make those. Allen is just not a reliable option to throw to and if he catches something, it's just gravy in the scheme. Throw more to Doyle, he is pretty good. I don't blame this offense flaming out because we had these 2 drops, I blame the OC for not readjustment to the second half game plan. 

You are literally talking out of both sides of your mouth.  

Your original post "he backed off and the offense looked like poop."  

Response to your post "Actually, one could say his playcalling was aggressive."  

Your response to that "It's still on the head coach to make the offense start by not letting off the gas pedal, but letting off a little bit, but still pressing the gas pedal down." 

Yeah...oooookay....

4 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

That seems to be a problem with the offense in general.  While they can put up points and quickly they just don't seem to use quick passing routes very much.  

You almost never see Luck take a 3 step or 5 step drop and throw a timing route for 5 to 8 yards.  He takes 7 step drops, looks deep and then maybe if he doesn't have anything deep he dumps it off.  

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You are literally talking out of both sides of your mouth.  

Your original post "he backed off and the offense looked like poop."  

Response to your post "Actually, one could say his playcalling was aggressive."  

Your response to that "It's still on the head coach to make the offense start by not letting off the gas pedal, but letting off a little bit, but still pressing the gas pedal down." 

Yeah...oooookay....

I'll say it slowly for you so you can understand better. The OC has to understand the flow of the game and adjust his hard gas pedal (deep attack) with his feathering the gas pedal ( quicker passes in short distances). So he doesn't adjust that well enough to my liking and it appears many other fans as well. His approach of gas pedal down all game is ludicrous and gets you too many 3 and outs. I'd rather see the death by a thousand cuts than going for the knockout swing every series. Once you get up and they show they are tired, then you start throwing your deep shots while still mixing in some sure throws and let the receivers get yac. We keep the opposing defenses fresher by going 3 and out to often. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

That seems to be a problem with the offense in general.  While they can put up points and quickly they just don't seem to use quick passing routes very much.  

You almost never see Luck take a 3 step or 5 step drop and throw a timing route for 5 to 8 yards.  He takes 7 step drops, looks deep and then maybe if he doesn't have anything deep he dumps it off.  

Which is why, IMO, why teams rush us so effectively. They know the odds are it's going to take 4-5 seconds for Luck to get his first read open so let's send the blitz and overwhelm the oline because the risk of 3 step quick hits are low % risk. 

id give the defense the game ball they gave us a chance to potato or go up 28+ -0 until the offense started dropping balls  and keeping them on the damn field..plus chud didn't think to adjust second half at all we played 1 half of football as usual so why give him praise and also he continue to call long passes when luck was being spanked and harassed so yeah game ball chud You did great lol not 

43 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I'll say it slowly for you so you can understand better. The OC has to understand the flow of the game and adjust his hard gas pedal (deep attack) with his feathering the gas pedal ( quicker passes in short distances). So he doesn't adjust that well enough to my liking and it appears many other fans as well. His approach of gas pedal down all game is ludicrous and gets you too many 3 and outs. I'd rather see the death by a thousand cuts than going for the knockout swing every series. Once you get up and they show they are tired, then you start throwing your deep shots while still mixing in some sure throws and let the receivers get yac. We keep the opposing defenses fresher by going 3 and out to often. 

Yeah, death by a thousand cuts. We tiptoe up the field for 10 minutes then we blow it all due to Mr Butterfingers and gang. No thanks. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Lol, look dude, I didn't say it needs to be just right like we're talking about the 3 bears and their friggin porridge.  You did.  To the bolded, and what you are asking for is kind of silly.  Do this, but not to much of that, but do it more than you could, without going overboard.  It's silly and really not much of a criticism except for the sole purpose of complaining.  It's laughable.

It'd be one thing if you said, well, we should have thrown more intermediate routes, or perhaps run the ball more.  But all you keep talking about is gas pedal this and that.  The fact of the matter is, 236 of his 347 pass attempts (doesn't include this past sunday because it hasn't been scored yet), are less than 10 yards.  That's almost 70% of your passes.  That's about normal.

7 hours ago, ztboiler said:

For whatever nits I could pick about the second half rhythm....can't overlook that Chud put together an amazing plan to get this team out of the blocks fast, and it was the difference in the game. 

He got us as much "easy offense" against a good defense as I can remember since the Manning years.

Without that fast start, it's hard to see how they win yesterday.

I am going to nitpick about the second half rhythm, though, because when you're talented QB goes 0/8 over three possessions and you don't call a single screen pass or don't scheme a single slant, then your play calling is problematic. And these are the same nitpicks as always, so I don't know if we can call them nitpicks, tbh. I've been saying this stuff since Arians, said it about Pep, and now I'm saying it weekly about Chud. 

Credit where due, but if Chud adds these dimensions to his play calling with any kind of consistency, I can't see this offense not becoming significantly more efficient.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I am going to nitpick about the second half rhythm, though, because when you're talented QB goes 0/8 over three possessions and you don't call a single screen pass or don't scheme a single slant, then your play calling is problematic. And these are the same nitpicks as always, so I don't know if we can call them nitpicks, tbh. I've been saying this stuff since Arians, said it about Pep, and now I'm saying it weekly about Chud. 

Credit where due, but if Chud adds these dimensions to his play calling with any kind of consistency, I can't see this offense not becoming significantly more efficient.

which could make this offense go from very good to scary good.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Ya, we're definitely picking at the same things...and it confounds me how such a good offensive mind seems committed to such inflexible patterns.

He showed us the 3 step game with Hasselbeck...it's not like he doesn't know those plays.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Well you said what I wanted to say but got dogged by a few others who just wanted to pound the chest. This is a great assessment of the problem. 

I seriously can't give him that much credit on most of his play designs it's luck improvising or throwing the ball with someone hanging on him for a completion...it makes no sense how you can have 3 step stops for Mh last year but then you get luck back and revert to 5-7 step drops knowing this line is atrocious 85% of the time..so technically he'd rather help the bench player not be hit  than is starter but he's getting praise pshhh 

I'm not sure what game some of you are watching.

Chud did NOT take his foot off the gas.

When the offense stalled out,  the o-line was horrible.    I'd say the 2nd half was one of the worst efforts the line has given this season.  

The line is better than last year's,   but certainly not by much and clearly not by what was expected in improvement.       The line was terrible Sunday.

6 hours ago, will426 said:

I seriously can't give him that much credit on most of his play designs it's luck improvising or throwing the ball with someone hanging on him for a completion...it makes no sense how you can have 3 step stops for Mh last year but then you get luck back and revert to 5-7 step drops knowing this line is atrocious 85% of the time..so technically he'd rather help the bench player not be hit  than is starter but he's getting praise pshhh 

I used to think that at first it was Arians' offensive philosophy that led Luck to drop back and look to take deep shots down the field. However, Arians left and in walked in Pep Hamilton. Even with Pep, Luck took 5-7 step drops and took shots deep down the field on a consistent basis. Pep was relieved of his duties and in walked in Chud. Luck is still taking 5-7 step drops and taking deep shots down the field.

At first I blamed the OCs, but now the only common denominator is Luck. I think two things factor into this:

1. The OCs see this as Luck's strength, and as a good coach, you play to your QBs strengths.

2. Luck prefers to play this style of football. He likes to utilize the speed of the receivers and trusts that he can make the necessary throws.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I used to think that at first it was Arians' offensive philosophy that led Luck to drop back and look to take deep shots down the field. However, Arians left and in walked in Pep Hamilton. Even with Pep, Luck took 5-7 step drops and took shots deep down the field on a consistent basis. Pep was relieved of his duties and in walked in Chud. Luck is still taking 5-7 step drops and taking deep shots down the field.

At first I blamed the OCs, but now the only common denominator is Luck. I think two things factor into this:

1. The OCs see this as Luck's strength, and as a good coach, you play to your QBs strengths.

2. Luck prefers to play this style of football. He likes to utilize the speed of the receivers and trusts that he can make the necessary throws.

The short passing for him is not a weakness it's also a strength  I'd be all for throwing the ball deep if we had the line to block that long but we don't...and luck prefers to play how he's told to play he is a yes man if they tell him to stop running because of his health he'll stop running which he has done and when they tell him to run for the easy first instead of passing he's also done that..they preach they want him to release the ball faster but if you're waiting on the intermediate routes to be complete while your check down is fully covered you aren't helping him 3/4 receivers we usually have on a play are going deep with one staying  short  it's the play calls that are hurting him to me mainly..look what he was doing with mh there weren't that much intermediate routes run..85% were short and mh still couldn't hit  anyone but the point is he changed it because he knew Mh couldn't throw deep..so why must he force these intermediate  routes on luck when we don't have a line to play to that kind of strength instead of making it simple like he did for Mh I understand playing to the strength of your qb but you have to play to the strength of your line as well and he's not doing that half of lucks amazing plays are with someone hanging off of him and him powering through for the big play.. We've seen luck run the 2min offense throwing short and he's damn near impossible to stop in hurry up but we constantly revert to the long ball can't blame luck for throwing deep when majority of the routes run are 20yards out but I feel where you're coming from @Flash

25 minutes ago, life long said:

@Flash agreed on your post, but I definetly believe it's a combination of 1 & 2. Luck desperately needs a great mind as qb coach/OC/HC as he had with harbaugh, peyton had with moore, brady has with belichek, to utilize lucks physical and mental talents on the field.

Our oc needs to play to our lines strength which isn't blocking thier man for more than 5 seconds for a play to open up if he can dumb it down for Mh he can do it to prevent luck from being smashed 9/10 games 

6 hours ago, Flash said:

Careful.    Everyone thought I was crazy when I said the same.  Everyone blamed Pep.   Now we can see the truth