Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There is no more Roughing the Kicker in the NFL

ColtsBlueFL

Here's proof-

I'm sure Blandino will come out and say it was a missed call, and the league is sorry... etc. etc.

But there is now way a player that jumps the snap, ignores the (stupidly late refs!) whistle and plays hard unabated into a defenseless player deserves the 15 yard variety of the penalty, not the benign 5 yards offside unabated to the QB penalty..

Not only did they not get the 15 and a 1st (making the kick so much easier), they didn't get to kick!  Because Carpenter was hurt, Bills had no timeouts left, and he had medical team rush out on to the field, he has to come out 1 play!  Now Rex had to get creative and spike the ball at the snap, so they could try the kick again. so 3 seconds is now 1, plenty of time to kick.... but... Refs do not reset the Play clock, and they get delay of game on the kick (which was good).  So back them up 5 more, rekick the FG, and voila!  A missed field goal to end the half.  Refs seem to be really sloppy at times this year.

This whole incident was terrible.   I think it might of been a situation where they were in shock/or frazzile at what they saw in Sherman continuing the play and hitting the kicker and had a brain fart.  It was bad enough that they missed the unnecessary roughness call but they compounded it by standing over the ball till 5 seconds on the play clock, they might of still be in disbelief.   Either way it is just bad for missed two calls back to back.  

I felt so sorry for the Bills, they are fighting for a playoff spot/division title and this happens.  Just really sad.   

On 11/10/2016 at 5:57 PM, Gavin said:

Could be considered a dirty play but I think Sherman was just genuinely trying to make a football play. I don't consider it a Burfict situation at this time where Burfict legit tries to go out and injure people. Obviously a late hit

Not sure you saw the game but right after that Sherman just looks around and shrugs his shoulders....

It's nearly a week later.....

First,  Sherman put his hand on the ball, so it's impossible to have a roughing the kicker penalty when he touched the ball.

Second,  the whistle was way late and no way for Sherman to change much of anything.

Honestly, while the play looked ugly as can be,  I'm not sure Sherman did anything wrong.     And yet he was fined $9k for a personal foul.

OK,  whatever.     

The NFL is getting crushed for how they handled this,  and Sherman isn't taking much, if any heat from media or other (non-Buffalo) players.....

On 11/12/2016 at 3:35 PM, NewColtsFan said:

It's nearly a week later.....

First,  Sherman put his hand on the ball, so it's impossible to have a roughing the kicker penalty when he touched the ball.

Second,  the whistle was way late and no way for Sherman to change much of anything.

Honestly, while the play looked ugly as can be,  I'm not sure Sherman did anything wrong.     And yet he was fined $9k for a personal foul.

OK,  whatever.     

The NFL is getting crushed for how they handled this,  and Sherman isn't taking much, if any heat from media or other (non-Buffalo) players.....

It's not roughing the kicker, it is a personal foul for unnecessary roughness on a late hit.  Problem was, refs blew the whistle but it was certainly late.  NFL fines Sherman and makes it so he can't be appeal because they tell Sherman they have enhanced audio that demonstrates the whistle blew before contact with the ball or player (whether Sherman knew it was coming or not).  By letter of the law, still an infraction.

Refs did blow it with the late whistle... which is why unabated offsides is supposed to be an immediate dead ball. Prevent scenarios like the above.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's not roughing the kicker, it is a personal foul for unnecessary roughness on a late hit.  Problem was, refs blew the whistle but it was certainly late.  NFL fines Sherman and makes it so he can't be appeal because they tell Sherman they have enhanced audio that demonstrates the whistle blew before contact with the ball or player (whether Sherman knew it was coming or not).  By letter of the law, still an infraction.

Refs did blow it with the late whistle... which is why unabated offsides is supposed to be an immediate dead ball. Prevent scenarios like the above.

Actually, I think it could of been called roughing the kicker imo.  Although the Sherman did touch the ball, the ball was not in flight when he touched the ball.   The exception to the rule only refers to the ball being in "flight."

Although in the end it could go down as a 15 yard personal foul be it unnecessary roughness or roughing the kicker.    It comes out the same in the end with the former being the catch all when others do not fit the description. 

As for enforcing a personal foul as a dead ball foul I have seen that done before.  In the Denver-Cinn game the crowd was so loud that the players did not hear the whistle for a false start, thus killing the play.  A linebacker came throw the line and his face mask made contact with the Denver's QB face mask.  And even though the first penalty was the false start on Denver, it was a dead play, they enforced the roughing the passer penalty on the Cinn LB even though he did not hear the whistle.  

On November 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Flying Elvis said:

When you are offsides its easy to get to the ball before the kick. Sherman knew he was offsides.

You're taught to play to the whistle. The refs blew the whistle late.

Both are at fault. It still should have been a penalty in my opinion.

Hey Flying Elvis, 

I haven't seen you post on here in awhile. Welcome back man! Richard Sherman should have been flagged 15 yards for that contact with the Bills kicker. Watching Sherman act all innocent was such a load of elephant dung. A darn disgrace if you ask me.