Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning, Reggie Miller A Thought I Had

Brett Snyder

Before Peyton, I didn't miss a Pacer game. Reggie Miller was the main man and I had received so much enjoyment watching the Pacers when he was on board. After Reggie retired, the Pacers started loosing. (Not saying it was connected, but it didn't hurt lol) I lost interest, fell behind on roster moves so on so fourth.

During the time frame of which I was loosing interest in the Pacers, my interest in the Colts grew and grew. I watched the Colts before, but not like I have in the last 5 or 6 seasons. In these past seasons, Peyton, like Reggie, is the main man and really makes it fun to watch our boys in blue. But with him possibly departing, could this be another Pacer situation for me? Will the Colts start constantly loosing? Will the player that makes them funnest to watch, with his future with the colts in jeopardy, be the beginning of the end, start the decline in the fan base?

I hope Peyton is retained, because I think with Peyton, next season will be a very, very fun season to tune in for, if not the funnest.

No player is bigger than the team, in my opinion. We all know there will be a day where Peyton a) stops playing for the Colts and b) stops playing football. I'm still going to be a Colts fan. Not only do I like Peyton and the Colts, but I like the game itself. I used to be huge into hockey, but then they hit their lockout and I lost interest. When that happened with the NFL, I kept telling myself I would probably lose interest, but I didn't. I love the game! Peyton will retire, Luck will come and go, tons of players and coaches will come and go as well. The game will always be there. Even if the Colts are consistent losers, I will still be cheering for them every Sunday and will be passionate and excited about the game of football itself.

So what essentially you are saying is that you're a fair weather fan?

If thats what its called, sure. If you've read any of my former posts, I think maybe you'd see that I'm not ingorant in schematics, or football overall. But obviously there is going to be some quiet times if we have a 2 or 3 season streak of staying under .500. Which was really the point I was trying to make.

To straightin things out though, I didn't miss a game this season and I watched every second of the game vs the Saints, I haven't missed a draft pick in 4 years. So please, try not to look down your nose at me for waying the options for the use of my time.

I too followed the Pacers back then with Reggie, but after the assault in Detroit and the numerous run in's with the law, people like myself who enjoy sports got turned off by the whole package and not because Reggie was gone. That being said other than the fact the Manning is probably gone, this is going to be an exciting time for Colts fans watching the transformation of the team.

I think what Luck is going to bring to the offense and a totally revamped defense, this upcoming year will be a fun one to watch.

BTW the Pacers are fun to watch again and all the trouble makers are gone!

I too followed the Pacers back then with Reggie, but after the assault in Detroit and the numerous run in's with the law, people like myself who enjoy sports got turned off by the whole package and not because Reggie was gone. That being said other than the fact the Manning is probably gone, this is going to be an exciting time for Colts fans watching the transformation of the team.

I think what Luck is going to bring to the offense and a totally revamped defense, this upcoming year will be a fun one to watch.

BTW the Pacers are fun to watch again and all the trouble makers are gone!

Wooooot yeah buddy

Before Peyton, I didn't miss a Pacer game. Reggie Miller was the main man and I had received so much enjoyment watching the Pacers when he was on board. After Reggie retired, the Pacers started loosing. (Not saying it was connected, but it didn't hurt lol) I lost interest, fell behind on roster moves so on so fourth.

During the time frame of which I was loosing interest in the Pacers, my interest in the Colts grew and grew. I watched the Colts before, but not like I have in the last 5 or 6 seasons. In these past seasons, Peyton, like Reggie, is the main man and really makes it fun to watch our boys in blue. But with him possibly departing, could this be another Pacer situation for me? Will the Colts start constantly loosing? Will the player that makes them funnest to watch, with his future with the colts in jeopardy, be the beginning of the end, start the decline in the fan base?

I hope Peyton is retained, because I think with Peyton, next season will be a very, very fun season to tune in for, if not the funnest.

I am soooooooooo on board with you!!

So what you're saying is that the Colts should try and clone Peyton forever so they won't lose the Manning fans. Im just not sure that kind of technology is to the point where thats possible. :rolleyes: What I do know is that when Manning is gone there will still be plenty of fans around and there will be new fans that latch on to new players and they will grieve and complain too when those players have to move on or retire.

So what you're saying is that the Colts should try and clone Peyton forever so they won't lose the Manning fans. Im just not sure that kind of technology is to the point where thats possible. :rolleyes: What I do know is that when Manning is gone there will still be plenty of fans around and there will be new fans that latch on to new players and they will grieve and complain too when those players have to move on or retire.

I think if Manning didn't go out this way, not saying he is done, it would be a lot easier for people.

I think if Manning didn't go out this way, not saying he is done, it would be a lot easier for people.

That may be true, but I learned a long time ago to not get attached to players on your favorite team. It don't mean that you can't be big fans of players but everybody should know that players careers have to come to an end sometime. The business aspect of the game can be ugly sometimes but its also something that has to be done. It will suck not seeing Manning in a Colt uniform no more(espesially if he plays for another team), but I will embrace the new QB(Luck) and cheer him on for the next 15 yrs. until its time for him to move on too.

The Reggie, Peyton connection is clear. Both guys literally save face on our whole state. It's important on more than a fan level that they continue to succeed. The success of the teams under both guys have made a nowhere town..somewhere.

You could argue that Marvin did more than Reg and Marvin's departure was pretty ugly

I still loved and watched the Pacers even after Reggie but they simply were not that good. I think the rumble in Detroit really took everything out of them, they weren't really the same (thanks Artest). However this team the Pacers have now is fun to watch, including last year. They are easily one of-if not toughest team in the NBA and have 0 superstars but yet tied in the league with the most all-star nominees. It's simple grit and hard work, they've beat the Bulls, Lakers, and Celtics all on the road, a very significant accomplishment already throughout a mere 18 games. In terms of the Colts, with all that's occuring within the organization, even with out Peyton, the upcoming season has me more interested than I have been in awhile. The only difficult part is the potential loss of some vets, including Peyton. It would be very hard to see him on another team if it comes down to that, but I will continue to show significant interest in the Colts and think the excitment would be there. The Pacers practically rebuilt themselves mid-season last year with a new coach, this year two new key players in West & Hill, also bringing in a new assistant coach in Brian Shaw (3x champion for the Lakers) and guaranteed another playoff appearance (yes, the Pacers WILL make the playoffs). I have faith the Colts will be solid regardless what they do.

I am a Colts fan way before Manning and will be after. I am a fan of the Indianapolis Colts not the Indianapolis Manning's. I am also a Pacers fans. The Brawl did take me out from watching the Pacers though for a couple of years. But I started up watching them again and they did really clean up their image! They got all the bad apples out of Indy. It took them awhile to rebuild their image. But I think the Pacers is slowly but surly bringing back old fans and much newer fans. I agree they are fun to watch this season and when Coach Vogel took over last season. I think the Pacers will only get better! With our new coach and if we can keep the bad apples out which they are doing pretty well of.

That is what is called band wagon, sorry.

That may be true, but I learned a long time ago to not get attached to players on your favorite team. It don't mean that you can't be big fans of players but everybody should know that players careers have to come to an end sometime. The business aspect of the game can be ugly sometimes but its also something that has to be done. It will suck not seeing Manning in a Colt uniform no more(espesially if he plays for another team), but I will embrace the new QB(Luck) and cheer him on for the next 15 yrs. until its time for him to move on too.

you are in the 7th stage of grief, acceptance & hope. good job man

for the record, here are all the stages. helps explain the bahaviors we are witnessing

1. shock & denial

2. pain & guilt

3. anger & bargaining

4. depresion, reflection, loneliness

5. the upward turn

6. reconstruction & working through

7. acceptance & hope

for the record, here are all the stages. helps explain the bahaviors we are witnessing

1. shock & denial

2. pain & guilt

3. anger & bargaining

5. the upward turn

7. acceptance & hope

Yep, I think I was able to accept it much quicker than a lot of people. That has enabled me to feel happy about the new direction of the Colts.

1. shock & denial

2. pain & guilt

3. anger & bargaining

5. the upward turn

7. acceptance & hope

I think I went through all 7 of those phases in the last 3 days or so. I am now ready for Andrew Luck.......and a 'hit you in the mouth' 3-4 defense.......and some coaches that do their job.

I was/am a HUGE Reggie Miller fan and he was one of the prime reasons that I started following the Pacers, just as Peyton was a prime reason that I became a Colts fan (OK, and also because in the days of Mike Davis, my IU HOOSIERS were starting to be pretty boring and the Colts were a fine fix for my sports appetitie. Since Reggie retired, I continued to watch (and follow and attend games, etc) the Pacers even if it took until the last half of last year for them to become truly watchable. This year they (Pacers) have finally become fun and so have my Hoosiers (finally). Those two teams have helped me get through our very sad situation with our Colts. If Peyton does retire, or even goes and plays elsewhere, I will still continue to follow my COLTS, attend their games, root for them, etc. though I am prepared that it might be the same "woeful watching" that I experienced with both the Pacers and Hoosiers. And I will also remember how much fun it will be when the COLTS once again return to their glory (which will happen, with or without Peyton). I'm still very much hoping, thought, that he is with us for at least another couple of years and retires as only a Colt.

The Reggie, Peyton connection is clear. Both guys literally save face on our whole state. It's important on more than a fan level that they continue to succeed. The success of the teams under both guys have made a nowhere town..somewhere.

Yep...the difference being the Pacres didn't dump Reggie for some kid.

Yep...the difference being the Pacres didn't dump Reggie for some kid.

Peyton's contract is just a bit prohibitive to the team considering he's not healthy enough to throw the dang ball...

Love Reggie and love Peyton..sorry its not a story book ending, but the notion Peyton is being dumped is pretty far off. How many guys in the history of all of Sports ever received a contract like Peyton got, not helaed. No one... I'd say that's about as much special treatment as you can give a guy that plays football, kinda risky game they play out there.. I have to beleve that Irsay was being honest about his intent to retain Peyton if he can go, but again looking at all situations you could make a case for moving Manning, as unpopular as that notion all ready is. Again just so I'm clear, it's not a matter of loyalty if the guy cant substantiate the cost of keeping him on the roster due to his health.

So what essentially you are saying is that you're a fair weather fan?

Call it what you want my man, but w/o #18 the Colts are small potatoes ... & I'd jump ship asap. I'm a football fan first and w/o #18 this team is not worth watching to the masses let alone myself. I love all the Colts Players over the last 15 years but the organization itself means little to me. The next guy may be good but to be what PMoney has been and to dominate his position like he has is unreasonable. Hard-pressed to see anything like it carrying an entire state on his back and help bring home a title to Indy. If Peyton gets ran out of town, imagine how many "turn-coats" you'll get until the Colts go deep into January again. #18- #32- #88 (add #87)

One other point, after Reg the Pacers went practically dark for a decade. I don't think the Colts would fair any better if they don't continue to be a fairly successful team. The future has to be given top consideration in this scenario because of the overall implications of having the rights to Luck and plenty of better picks on the back end.

Call it what you want my man, but w/o #18 the Colts are small potatoes ... & I'd jump ship asap. I'm a football fan first and w/o #18 this team is not worth watching to the masses let alone myself. I love all the Colts Players over the last 15 years but the organization itself means little to me. The next guy may be good but to be what PMoney has been and to dominate his position like he has is unreasonable. Hard-pressed to see anything like it carrying an entire state on his back and help bring home a title to Indy. If Peyton gets ran out of town, imagine how many "turn-coats" you'll get until the Colts go deep into January again. #18- #32- #88 (add #87)

Then jump! See ya later, I wish some of you people would just quit telling us you're going to jump ship if Manning is released and just go jump already. We don't need you and the Colts don't need you. Nobody cares if you jump ship or not. Just go jump on your next bandwagon and leave the real Colts fans to talk about Colts football.

Peace out, we don't want you. Your a disgrace to real Colts fans.

Then jump! See ya later, I wish some of you people would just quit telling us you're going to jump ship if Manning is released and just go jump already. We don't need you and the Colts don't need you. Nobody cares if you jump ship or not. Just go jump on your next bandwagon and leave the real Colts fans to talk about Colts football.

Lemme ask you this, what is the ultimate scenario the "atypical Colts fan" would prefer ? I respect your dedication to the Franchise btw. I just know if it came to a #18 v. Colts situation, the Colts would lose.

Peyton's contract is just a bit prohibitive to the team considering he's not healthy enough to throw the dang ball...

Love Reggie and love Peyton..sorry its not a story book ending, but the notion Peyton is being dumped is pretty far off. How many guys in the history of all of Sports ever received a contract like Peyton got, not helaed. No one... I'd say that's about as much special treatment as you can give a guy that plays football, kinda risky game they play out there.. I have to beleve that Irsay was being honest about his intent to retain Peyton if he can go, but again looking at all situations you could make a case for moving Manning, as unpopular as that notion all ready is. Again just so I'm clear, it's not a matter of loyalty if the guy cant substantiate the cost of keeping him on the roster due to his health.

I hear ya...but...

I think the question of his health, though shrouded in mystery, is kinda overblown. If Irsay can't "substantiate the cost" of Manning, why the heck did Irsay sign him to that contract in the first place? I'm just going through some things about the potential of letting Manning go. It's not born from blind fandom for Manning, rather, I don't want to watch the Horseshoe dissipate into irrelevance for the next decade. I believe they're laying the foundation for failure.

Color me as a pessimistic fan until Irsay prove he knows what he's doing without Manning. "No one man is bigger than the horseshoe".......pffft Manning IS the horseshoe.

Lemme ask you this, what is the ultimate scenario the "atypical Colts fan" would prefer ? I respect your dedication to the Franchise btw. I just know if it came to a #18 v. Colts situation, the Colts would lose.

You probably said the same about #4 vs Packers didn't you...

I can't answer for everybody else, but for myself, I would love to have Manning be completely healthy and have at least a yr. or 2 tutoring Luck for the future, but I realize that is a very unlikely scenario. Your right about this, My dedication is to the "team". I don't care who is under center, I will root for that guy simply because he is sporting a horseshoe on his helmet. I love the Colts, not any one single player. Im a fan of each player that wears the horseshoe, but when their time is up for wearing that horseshoe then my affiliations move on also.

The team hasn't been wrecked yet. Why should he jump?

The team hasn't been wrecked yet. Why should he jump?

Because if any fan is willing to jump just because of one player is no longer on the team then whats the point to begin with. If he roots for a player thats fine, I don't care, but they are not a fan of the team, and I am a fan of the team. I care about whats best for the future of the team not just a guy who plays for the team.

Irsay says "were not talking fantasy football".

I got pretty stoked when Edge, Marvin, Reggie, Frathis, Bob, Dallas, Bethea, Saturday ( he's great because I don't notice him so much) ect made plays. There has been some great players helping define the Horsehoe over Peyton's tenure.

I really think that doing this now is the only course of action. Sinking the team in to cap doomsday over Peyton's uncertain status really would make Irsay look bad for the foreseeable future. Not that he doesn't have plenty of detractors all ready.

Life will go on without 18. The sun will come up the next day. It will be okay, it really will!!!!! All sports teams goes through changes and no player can play forever! But its not the end of them!

I can't answer for everybody else, but for myself, I would love to have Manning be completely healthy and have at least a yr. or 2 tutoring Luck for the future, but I realize that is a very unlikely scenario. Your right about this, My dedication is to the "team". I don't care who is under center, I will root for that guy simply because he is sporting a horseshoe on his helmet. I love the Colts, not any one single player. Im a fan of each player that wears the horseshoe, but when their time is up for wearing that horseshoe then my affiliations move on also.

that's why jim irsay called out manning. you never hear colts' player say things like i would only play with peyton manning. if he leaves, i leave. it's because they know irsay would tear them a new [expletive], if not cut them. he pays them millions to do one thing, honor the shoe