Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck on Pace to be Sacked 60 Times

ColtsFanMikeC

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/18299/colts-andrew-luck-is-on-pace-to-be-sacked-an-eye-popping-60-times-this-season

Thru 4 games, he's been sacked 15 times and hit 32 times.

I know some of it is on Luck for holding the ball too long, and some of it is on injuries along the OL -- but come on, we just gave the guy $140 million -- we need to do something to keep his jersey clean.

For the most part, defenses do not fear the Colt's run game. They know that the best way to a victory is to get to Luck by going through the Colts horrible O-line. Luck is the most pressured and most blitzed QB. Everyone knows that the Colts O-line cannot withstand the constant pressure and will give up sacks and hurries. This is a proven formula and used by every defense we have faced, and will face, until the O-line proves consistently that it's up to the task.

Luck holds on to the ball, but not that long. It's the lack of depth on the O-line and substandard right side in pass protection (so far). Also, if we had a stronger running game and got to play with a lead, defenses wouldn't be able to bring quite as much heat pass rushing. When we're down by 2 or 3 scores and our running game is just blah, defenses already know we're going to throw. 

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Growing pains.  When you have 3 rookies starting you will see this.

There is an argument that this could be Grigs' effort to give him a better line... it is still year 5 though, he just missed >1/2 a season due to injury from abuse from his first 3+ years.... like @Btown_Colt said... if the line is this bad, he should be in a system where he can get it out quicker.

In case of some sacks lately I had a feeling that Luck has deliberately tucked the ball and surrendered himself to the sack instead of trying the old crazy escape stuff. It could be a good thing for his health, while these QB hits are still concerning though.

17 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

In case of some sacks lately I had a feeling that Luck has deliberately tucked the ball and surrendered himself to the sack instead of trying the old crazy escape stuff. It could be a good thing for his health, while these QB hits are still concerning though.

I think FO was hammering in his head during this last off-season to avoid risks, like rushing yards, or trying to escape sacks.

Besides the half of the forum was calling Andrew  rather taking a sack than risking a fumble. We got it...

On 10/3/2016 at 7:16 PM, Btown_Colt said:

Luck is holding onto the ball so long because he is waiting for receivers to run their routes. If you want him to get the ball out quickly, the receivers need to be running shorter, quicker developing routes. 

Completely agree. I paid close attention to the first 4 or 5 sacks and there was plenty of time for short passes. Remember Marvin Harrison and the quick slant? It was a sure 4 yards, and sometimes much more.I don't think an inside slant is in this team's playbook. Their passing game for all sixty minutes is swing for a home run at every at bat. 

Some people care too much about the sacks.  Luck steps up in the pocket and takes a 3-yd sack.  Whoop-dee-doo.  If it enables him to hit ones like that 3rd and long to TY on his Jim Zorn/Fran Tarkenton scramble, it's worth it (even if it convinces some of you that our OL is crap)...

4 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Luck holds the ball to long oline ain't good no bad bit luck holds the ball to long 

The short passing game is not prioritized in this system nor with the play calling. Putting more focus on the three step passing game would at least keep DC's & DB's guessing a little more, hence not allowing them to play intermediate to long routes all the time. 

I wasn't able to watch the game today so I wanted to ask...Why was Luck again sacked another 5 times today? Chicago is not known for having a good pass rush. Is the system Chud is running making Luck hold on the ball too long still?

And speaking of sacks, it's pretty sad when Chicago, who is a very bad team, gets 5 sacks on us, while Indy can't get a single sack on them.

20 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I wasn't able to watch the game today so I wanted to ask...Why was Luck again sacked another 5 times today? Chicago is not known for having a good pass rush. Is the system Chud is running making Luck hold on the ball too long still?

And speaking of sacks, it's pretty sad when Chicago, who is a very bad team, gets 5 sacks on us, while Indy can't get a single sack on them.

As always, Luck is willing to take occasional sacks in order to have another split second to find a receiver.  Someone can chart it...I'm sure they'd find that he had a chance to throw the balls away, but chose not to.  Chicago seemed to blitz a lot too, which Luck has generally not been able to make teams pay for doing this year.  He gaining steam on that area, though...

The amount of young guys on the OL will do this but it doesn't seem like Chud is doing them any favors by getting more quick routes called.  Luck is having to wait too long for routes to develop, which is trouble for these young guys.  I was very excited to see Chud calling plays this season but so far I'm a little bit disappointed.  Yes, they are scoring well BUT I feel like they could be doing even better if the play calling were more favorable to our personnel.

To quote Griggson," Its' tough to man an offensive line after you pay Luck what he makes". Note, all channels are bringing up that sad state of the Colts personnel staffing and what a crappy job they have done. Even Howie Long said straight out Griggson was wrong to shoot his mouth of about what Luck makes. It acts as a divider among the team.  

18 hours ago, 19colt said:

The short passing game is not prioritized in this system nor with the play calling. Putting more focus on the three step passing game would at least keep DC's & DB's guessing a little more, hence not allowing them to play intermediate to long routes all the time. 

I know like it seems every team in the NFL finds ways to complete 2 yards slants and gain 7 yards etc...  But we never use quick drops and let the wrs make plays. if you take 5 steps drop and hold the ball for another 3-4 secs its gonna lead to alot of sacks and hits 

21 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I know like it seems every team in the NFL finds ways to complete 2 yards slants and gain 7 yards etc...  But we never use quick drops and let the wrs make plays. if you take 5 steps drop and hold the ball for another 3-4 secs its gonna lead to alot of sacks and hits 

and this is where this question lies.....is it Chud's playcalling or is it Luck changing the plays to the longer routes? Especially since Luck seems to be having a bigger control of the offense.