Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans @ Patriots Thursday Night Football Game Thread

LucasOilStadium

55 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

If you are in the trade Brady before the end of his career camp, I would not do so until after the 2017 season.   Keep Brady on this team for this year and next and you still got two years left on his contract after 2017 season (tradeable asset).  Plus Jimmy G is still under contract till the end of 2017 and he ain't going nowhere.  You can resign him after the 2017 season.   

I doubt Brady leaves New England ever.  They'll just mutually decide he retires when they want to go with one of the young kids.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

If you are in the trade Brady before the end of his career camp, I would not do so until after the 2017 season.   Keep Brady on this team for this year and next and you still got two years left on his contract after 2017 season (tradeable asset).  Plus Jimmy G is still under contract till the end of 2017 and he ain't going nowhere.  You can resign him after the 2017 season.   

The whole point is his value is high right now. Peyton went from MVP to dog crap in 3 years. Brady is 38 and would have to go to a new team. BB won't get a lot trading a 40 year old to a crappy team.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

If we don't play them this year, its a bad year for us.  (Playoffs)

i know the playoffs look a lil bleak right now , but a guy can dream can't he?  And if you're gonna dream, why make it a nightmare. haha

my dream is gonna involve us at 17-2 with a trophy at season's end.

and maybe a couple blondes and a brunette mowing my lawn, bringing me drinks, "and stuff."  Maybe even a redhead or two thrown in for "special team" plays.  Do i have to wake up?

If we play the Pats in the playoffs, it's gonna be at Foxborough. That's never really been a "dreamy" situation for this regime.

1 hour ago, Yehoodi said:

Yes it is always tough to separate great players from great coaches and try to fine tune how much does one gets from the other and vice versa.  I have always maintain it is a little bit of both. 

And to be accurate . . . BB is 19-17 (0.527) as the Pats coach without Brady and 171-52 (0.767) with Brady.  So a full 200 percentage points higher on the win scale with Brady under center.  As a note these records do not include week 2 in 2001 (loss) and week 1 in 2008 (win) when Bledsoe and Brady were injured and only played part of the game, but does include some week 17 games the Pats lost and were resting starters.  

True but you take out that full year with Bledsoe and he's been completely dominate since then even with different quarterbacks.  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly seeing what I did of the game it makes me wonder if Brady is really that good or if he just happened to land on the team coached by Belichek.  

Seems like he can send anyone out there at QB and come out a winner.  

Well, Jimmy G and J. Brissett aren't no names.  Jacoby was taken in round 3 (with Brady still on the team!) this past draft.  Jimmy Garoppolo was taken in round 2 in 2014!  Folks here would have a coronary if we took a QB in round 2 or round 3. But to get a goo backup that has starter abilities when groomed takes such a choice.

Brissett had a great game against the Defending National champion Florida State Seminoles and Jameis Winston.

Brissett is 6'4" and 235 lbs. with strong NFL caliber arm and can beat you with his feet if necessary.

I like him over my other fav's Mike Glennon, and Sean Mannion (who I'm beginning to sour on a little). I wish we had him, or Glennon.  Oh well...

13 hours ago, esmort said:

Yes, I was responding to you; I know what you said, but your answer had nothing to do with what I stated or the question I posed; because in an earlier post I specifically said "shutting out" an average team with a very good defense while starting a 3rd string QB .... and posed the question what other team could do this?  And you replied "numerous teams could've beaten NE tonight" which in no way is the same thing as how many teams could have shut out the Texans with their 3rd string QB.  

Of course there are teams that could have beaten NE tonight ... but that wasn't the point. 

I don't know if you are always so hostile over a non-Colts game, but you need to relax.

You responded to me first in this thread, junior.  Look back and reread carefully.  I originally stated this, as a response to nobody:

"Why are you people acting like NE just took out the 1985 Bears?  It is impressive that they won tonite with a 3rd string qb, but they hardly just beat a great squad:  Houston is a spectacularly average football team."

You see?  My commentary pertained to how bad the Texans are, not how good NE is.  

If you wanted to go off on a tangent and discuss "how many teams could have shut out the Texans with their 3rd string QB?", you needed not to respond to me, as it had zero to do with my original comment.

Reading comprehension, son.....learn it.

6 hours ago, 12to13 said:

... are you serious? Everyone that just read your post probably lost like 7 and a half brain cells.

Yes i'm serious.  If the Colts losing to the Lions or the Broncos had any impact on your life whatsoever, you are a loser. 

Sounds like you need a life just like "Q" does.....lol.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I think somehow they called themselves trying to mimick whatever that game plan was the Broncos used when Osweiler beat the Pats last year, but clearly it just didn't work the way the thought it would.  The game plan was indeed bad.

The running play on 3rd and 8 in the first quarter was stupendous.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, that is the first goal and it is on the agenda to beat the Texans twice this year, as well as the Titans and Jaguars if possible.  It is not a given, so if those teams lose outside the division, all the better.  I had a feeling BB would scheme well (for Brissett and vs. Osweiler)  and that Jimmy G. would suit up but not play unless forced.  So I expected a NE win.

I see some hole (or more for many) of some type for every contending team, except maybe the Pats.  Even under an early season suspension/injury session as well. The Bills game is one I'm more concerned about, but is very winnable for Pats as well.

I hear yah.  I too do worry about about the division first but there are times when I will cheer for division rival when they are playing a division leader, or potential leader, from another AFC division.  For instance, I cheered for the Jets and Buffalo last year when they were playing Indy as I figure Indy at 0-2 and single wins for the Buffalo and Jets would help the Pats as opposed to a 2-0 Indy and single losses to the Bills and Jets.  Of coarse a 1-0 Bills team coming into Foxboro week two with a chance to beat the Pats and got 2-0 for the season was a concern.

Depending on the time in the season,  teams records, I can go back and forth between cheering for a division rival against a AFC division leader and vice versa. 

It was a good win for the Pats last night and Houston did kind of go into its "we do not win much under the lights" mode.  

As for this years Pats team, i do like it.  We have been rebuilding our D since like 2009 and we finally have a solid D.  And perhaps with an exception of 2014 and 2007, i think this is our best team since 2004, maybe our best since then.  

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I doubt Brady leaves New England ever.  They'll just mutually decide he retires when they want to go with one of the young kids.

I hope not, i hope Brady ends his career in NE.  The dicey part might be when that time comes and contracts do not line up.  If for instance the Pats really want to keep Jimmy G (or another young guy) and Brady has say one more year left in the tank (assuming folks can quantify this), and the young QB is in a contract year, the Pats might want to jettison Brady's last year and sign the young QB long term.

I do hope that Brady stays in NE as long as he is playing well, be it 2, 3, or 4 years, or more, and at the same time are able to keep a good young QB in the wings, we will see.

I do agree with you point that the Pats could throw caution to the wind, turn away from their policy of get rid of a guy one year too early as opposed to too late, and let Brady ride out his career in NE.   I would be happy.   

3 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

I hope not, i hope Brady ends his career in NE.  The dicey part might be when that time comes and contracts do not line up.  If for instance the Pats really want to keep Jimmy G (or another young guy) and Brady has say one more year left in the tank (assuming folks can quantify this), and the young QB is in a contract year, the Pats might want to jettison Brady's last year and sign the young QB long term.

I do hope that Brady stays in NE as long as he is playing well, be it 2, 3, or 4 years, or more, and at the same time are able to keep a good young QB in the wings, we will see.

I do agree with you point that the Pats could throw caution to the wind, turn away from their policy of get rid of a guy one year too early as opposed to too late, and let Brady ride out his career in NE.   I would be happy.   

They call the man "Our Son".  Knowing Kraft he is going to want to send Brady out better than Peyton Manning.  I'm sure they have a full plan in place to make sure Brady walks out a Pat for life.  They've probably already discussed everything with Brady in regards to the timing and what they need to do to keep him around.  I think he'll retire before he goes anywhere else.  His situation isn't like Mannings where Manning had only won one Super Bowl before he left.  Brady has already won plenty and there might even be another one on the Horizon before he would even look at leaving.   I don't see much motivation to go play for another team.

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

The whole point is his value is high right now. Peyton went from MVP to dog crap in 3 years. Brady is 38 and would have to go to a new team. BB won't get a lot trading a 40 year old to a crappy team.

Short answer:

Brady may have high value now, but one needs to balance any reduction in value by waiting to trade Brady against what additions he brings by keeping him on the team.  I feel any loss in trade value by waiting will be outweighed by his contribution.  my two cents.   

Long answer: :)

I understand where you are coming from Babs.  This discussion is a deep and long discussion that I am not sure if I want to get too deep into it right now.  But suffice it to say there are a lot of options for a team at this point in a players career.   And it will probably be a case when there will be an overlap of players.  Some bullet points thoughts are as follows:

What is Brady's value now

How will he help out over the next few, or more years,

What is Jimmy G's value now, at the end of this season

What is Jimmy G's long term projection

Is Brissett the answer in 4 years after Brady plays out his contact

Do we draft a QB in the next year or two to be the heir

Is Brady to Brissett a better overall than a Brady to Jimmy G. 

Etc.

So depending on how one answer the above, or what the answer are, it could range from Brady being traded this season to retiring a Pat, to Jimmy being trading to Brissett being the heir.  Etc.

If one is of the mindset to trade Brady to make room for Jimmy G.  One will have to look at it from the stand point of how much more will one get with trade of Brady in Oct. 2016 as opposed to March 2018 versus the what one feels Brady will add in additional value to the team in years 2016 and 2017 while playing QB for the Pats as opposed to Jimmy G. 

55 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Brisset tore a ligament in his thumb in the second half of last night, get ready for Edelman. Seriously, 2 QBs injured in 3 games and only one guy has been able to injure Brady for a decade and a half.

31 minutes ago, snkdy said:

Brissett is injured too wow. QBs dropping like flies.

And what is more important is, that is the worst injury a QB could have. Especially an up and coming talent like Jacoby.  Jay Cutler was getting roasted by folks for 'tapping out' on a thumb injury.  If I may, let me enlighten people on this litlle 'ole thumb sprain stuff. 

We have some baseball fans on here, I know.  Well, they should be aware of the baseball pitchers worst nightmare, Tommy John surgery on their elbow.  For a Quarterback, the thumb sprain can be just as bad- the Tommy John of the QB hand.  And guess what?  The ligament for each has the exact same name- Ulnar Collateral Ligament.  Quite ironic one may speculate.

There's 3 grades, 1 the lowest, grade 2 (I think what Jay has) is moderate tearing and requires immobilization and between 3 - 6 weeks recovery, and finally grade 3, completely torn.  I am not sure what Brissett has yet.  But if it is completely torn, he will need surgery and will be out at least 2 - 3 months or so  - the QB equivalent of Tommy John surgery, but in the hand.  If it is only a moderate sprain, he will get the Jay Cutler treatment, cast and time/rest. Too bad for the kid.

Seems to be a lot of injuries this year. Super Bowl winner may well be the healthiest team that collected the most regular season wins.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

True but you take out that full year with Bledsoe and he's been completely dominate since then even with different quarterbacks.  

True the Pats have won games with different QBs.   In 2008 we did go 11-5, but were 2-4 against winning teams, one of wins was against AZ who had clinched their division at the time they played us.   This year good to get 3 wins so far as many did not expect 3 wins.  I think time will tell how good either Jimmy G and Brissett will be and will bring more context these first three games.  

Pats have always value back-up QB position and a few of our back ups are still in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

get ready for Edelman.

Since the Pats didn't sign a QB, and JG was Brissett's backup, I have the feeling the AC sprain is low grade enough (Grade 1, or minimal grade 2), the Pats may well send him out one last time and then let Brady take over game 5.  

If Edleman plays, all others are incapacitated.  And BB woun't take one of his biggest receiver threats out and put him under center unless there are no more options.  BB will have options before this game.

49 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

The fact that you stand alone in your opinion says it all.

Who on earth says I stand alone?  Venture outside of a message board once and a while and see if any successful, well adjusted individual in the general public thinks it is healthy to cry about your football team losing and actually letting it affect your day to day life?

3 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Who on earth says I stand alone?  Venture outside of a message board once and a while and see if any successful, well adjusted individual in the general public thinks it is healthy to cry about your football team losing and actually letting it affect your day to day life?

Hey buddy,

You sure seem to think you are successful and well adjusted, but you are having a hard time grasping the idea of a forum dedicated to fan's of the Indianapolis Colts.

People let stupid stuff effect their life all the time, like politics, or the number of fries in their McDonalds meal, who are you to judge people and what they do?

BTW, Fan is short for Fanatic.

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
noun: fanatic; plural noun: fanatics
  1. 1.
    a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

1 hour ago, snkdy said:

I'm sure Belichek and company will find a way to win regardless.

Thanks, hopefully.  I heard he might not need surgery, so that is good.  Worst case scenario is that we loose and go 3-1 with Brady coming back and Jimmy G being back on his feet in a few weeks too.  

2 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Short answer:

Brady may have high value now, but one needs to balance any reduction in value by waiting to trade Brady against what additions he brings by keeping him on the team.  I feel any loss in trade value by waiting will be outweighed by his contribution.  my two cents.   

Long answer: :)

I understand where you are coming from Babs.  This discussion is a deep and long discussion that I am not sure if I want to get too deep into it right now.  But suffice it to say there are a lot of options for a team at this point in a players career.   And it will probably be a case when there will be an overlap of players.  Some bullet points thoughts are as follows:

What is Brady's value now

How will he help out over the next few, or more years,

What is Jimmy G's value now, at the end of this season

What is Jimmy G's long term projection

Is Brissett the answer in 4 years after Brady plays out his contact

Do we draft a QB in the next year or two to be the heir

Is Brady to Brissett a better overall than a Brady to Jimmy G. 

Etc.

So depending on how one answer the above, or what the answer are, it could range from Brady being traded this season to retiring a Pat, to Jimmy being trading to Brissett being the heir.  Etc.

If one is of the mindset to trade Brady to make room for Jimmy G.  One will have to look at it from the stand point of how much more will one get with trade of Brady in Oct. 2016 as opposed to March 2018 versus the what one feels Brady will add in additional value to the team in years 2016 and 2017 while playing QB for the Pats as opposed to Jimmy G. 

this doesn't even take into account that Brady is willing to play under a cap friendly deal while Jimmy will understandably want to max out. That's a HUGE piece of it.

37 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

I have heard mixed results, may not need surgery.  But we got 3 wins behind us, so that helps.  We got Brady coming back after game 4 and Jimmy G should be back soon too.  

Only grade 1 UCL injury will Brissett play over Jimmy.  I would bet Garoppolo would play with a Grade 2 AC separation on week 2 after injury before Jacoby with a grade 2 thumb ulnar collateral ligament sprain with no time off. {only grade 3 UCL needs surgery}  But we may never know the degree of injury for either... so...  I'll just leave it at that.

3 W's at this point is fantastic, I agree.  How are the Pat's planning for 4?

2 hours ago, Bad Morty said:

this doesn't even take into account that Brady is willing to play under a cap friendly deal while Jimmy will understandably want to max out. That's a HUGE piece of it.

Yes brady is willing to adjust his contract, I do not the numbers handy, on my phone, but brady is signed for 4, it depends on the structure of year 3 n 4 to see if it can be adjusted. Maybe an extension or cut and resign or something.  

I would not mind seeing brady taking a cut and giving Jimmy G starting money if he is with sit for another year, it would be insurance money for pats

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Only grade 1 UCL injury will Brissett play over Jimmy.  I would bet Garoppolo would play with a Grade 2 AC separation on week 2 after injury before Jacoby with a grade 2 thumb ulnar collateral ligament sprain with no time off. {only grade 3 UCL needs surgery}  But we may never know the degree of injury for either... so...  I'll just leave it at that.

3 W's at this point is fantastic, I agree.  How are the Pat's planning for 4?

Thxs for injury info.

Not sure what the pats are going to do , although it is a division game it is not the end of the world if we loose, maybe a patch work of Jimmy, Bridgett n edelman 

I would not want to cut a player to bring in a qb for one week 

23 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Thxs for injury info.

Not sure what the pats are going to do , although it is a division game it is not the end of the world if we loose, maybe a patch work of Jimmy, Bridgett n edelman 

I would not want to cut a player to bring in a qb for one week 

Belichick could probably play Edleman at QB and they would beat the Bills. I am not even being sarcastic. I don't see the Bills scoring much. If the Pats can hold the Bills to less than 17 which I think is very possible, Edleman could probably manage the game on Offense and just have guys like Blount run the ball all game.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Belichick could probably play Edleman at QB and they would beat the Bills. I am not even being sarcastic. I don't see the Bills scoring much. If the Pats can hold the Bills to less than 17 which I think is very possible, Edleman could probably manage the game on Offense and just have guys like Blount run the ball all game.

I could see them winning with a limit playbook n edelman.  Also one would guess there is an edelman package in the playbook that is likely similar to a wildcat type set, which could keep the bills honest.  The bills may not be able to adjust in time 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

18 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

I could see them winning with a limit playbook n edelman.  Also one would guess there is an edelman package in the playbook that is likely similar to a wildcat type set, which could keep the bills honest.  The bills may not be able to adjust in time 

I would give J.G. the start, and adapt the scheme to run first, heavy/jumbo run sets, and mix in some throws J.G. can make with less pain and more accuracy than others (determined in practice) to keep the Bills honest. Especially to Julian Edelman, who now doesn't lose himself as a target because he had to QB. Chew clock, shorten the game, let the D eat, take advantage of mistakes, no turnovers style.

Let's see how BB  handles it.

5 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I just want to publicly thank the Patriots for exposing the Texans. :)

Did the Jaguars expose the Colts when they slaughtered them right before the Colts went on to win the SB? You guys are reading a little bit too much into one loss. 

17 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I would give J.G. the start, and adapt the scheme to run first, heavy/jumbo run sets, and mix in some throws J.G. can make with less pain and more accuracy than others (determined in practice) to keep the Bills honest. Especially to Julian Edelman, who now doesn't lose himself as a target because he had to QB. Chew clock, shorten the game, let the D eat, take advantage of mistakes, no turnovers style.

Let's see how BB  handles it.

I like your thoughts.  It will be interesting to see what bb does.  I think bb loves this kind of stuff, trying to use your parts , making a new game plan, watching your players play that do not normally, and see ones players play different roles

3 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Did the Jaguars expose the Colts when they slaughtered them right before the Colts went on to win the SB? You guys are reading a little bit too much into one loss. 

It's just 1 loss so you have a point. If the Colts win on Sunday they are just 1 game behind so really starting 0-2 wont hurt much heading into Week 4. The Lions loss wasn't good but they do have the type of QB that can put up a lot of points so it wasn't an embarrassing loss either. I only had us beating the Lions by 4 and surprised the Titans beat them actually but that is the NFL for you = unpredictable.

3 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah most people were writing us off after the Jags beat us 44-17. We did have an ace in the hole though and that was Bob Sanders. I think we couldve went 15-1 had Bob played all season. He missed most of that season and didnt play in that game.

9 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Look around and you'll find people who kick dogs too