Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2017 Cap Space and Free Agency

Hey everyone. I know this is looking so far ahead, but it is how I always am looking at things. The Colts have committed to building through the draft, which I like. As disastrous as the 2013 draft was, we finally have some key pieces who look like they are going to develop, especially from last years, and I like this years so far in the preseason. The DL looks deep, and I believe the OL will be good, but it will take time to grow. I can name several teams who finally went all in and drafted high for several seasons for the OL, but it takes time to develop. We are impatient, I am the worst. OL from college spread to Pro is the biggest adjustment now. Teaching is not there in College, since the blocking is so different, so give it time.

OK, so the point of this is the Cap next year. If you count the carry over from this year, we are going to have over 65M in cap space next year. We have 19M right now for the season left, and 49M for 2017, if my calculations are right (numbers are from OTC). On the other hand, we have no FA's I can argue we have to bring back, although I would like Walden, Kerr, Doyle, and possibly Moore back at the right prices. Mathis, I believe this will be his last year. Adams is up there in age, and I think Green and Geathers will be taking the place of our two starters there. So the FA's we have if we decide to sign are not going to be big money contracts. We have Andrew signed, and still have huge capspace. The only other contract which pops into my head is to extend Montcrief, which I will assume he will be our one priority.

So we are going to have a lot of cap space. We know pass rusher, LB, and CB are our areas of need. I am going to assume the OL line grows over the year, and we have a lot of depth for each of the positions. So what do we do with all the cap space?

I am not at this point going to look at the FA's who might be available next year. I just want to see what everyone thinks. Will we alter the draft only approach? I think we have to, but I don't want to spend on middling players. I would be more willing to do what the Giants did this year, to make the Defensive unit more nasty if we can get a true impact player or two. CB needs to be address also, since they take awhile to develop. So this is more of a primer. What are your thoughts on the Cap and how we handle it. It has to be looked at differently next year. 2011 (Polian) and 2013 were such bad drafts, it has left us with few FA's to resign. Love what we have done since though. So where do the dollars go. Do we spend some? I believe yes, but what strategy and where? Looking more at the where and the strategy instead of the players since we don't know who will be available, but if you have some ideas, please jump in. All answers and thoughts are welcome!

2 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Rumor is Le'Veon Bell is asking for 15mil a year. Don't know what the Steelers cap situation looks like, but with that much cap room, is the headache worth the price?

Not worth the headache...would rather draft a talented RB in this upcoming class.

One of the areas I should have put in as far as draft next year is RB. No way we pay for another RB. Next year's class is so deep. I would love to have Dalvin Cook, over Fournette. Why, because he was so smooth last night catching the ball. Not sure if Fournette will be smooth as a receiver. Regardless, I will be surprised if both of those do not go in top 10-15, so hopefully we won't get a chance to draft them. I am looking for someone like Gallman from Clemson in the 2nd. Deepest RB class in a long time!

If we did have a chance to pick a real impact RB like Cook or Fournette vs. pass rush, which way would you go?

I was hoping for Mo Wilkerson, and the Jets ruined that at the last minute...

Trumaine Johnson and Eric Berry will be available. Can't imagine Berry being on the Colts list, unless Geathers or Green are dead awful this season. Chandler Jones will probably be tagged. There are a few OL that should hit the market. Dontari Poe and Michael Brockers probably both get tagged.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2017/

I think we'll see more HUGE money given out next year. The Colts are in position to frontload a big contract, if they do get involved.

6 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

One of the areas I should have put in as far as draft next year is RB. No way we pay for another RB. Next year's class is so deep. I would love to have Dalvin Cook, over Fournette. Why, because he was so smooth last night catching the ball. Not sure if Fournette will be smooth as a receiver. Regardless, I will be surprised if both of those do not go in top 10-15, so hopefully we won't get a chance to draft them. I am looking for someone like Gallman from Clemson in the 2nd. Deepest RB class in a long time!

If we did have a chance to pick a real impact RB like Cook or Fournette vs. pass rush, which way would you go?

I have us taking a RB in the 2nd day.

I'd prefer a 2nd round back,  but if the 2nd round pick goes to defense,  then I'd settle for a 3rd round back.

I'd prefer a back taken around pick 55 to a back taken around pick 85 or so.     With this class especially.

And,  I think this class is so good,  and so deep,  that I expect good talent to fall...   so I'd like another bite at this running back class in R6.       Yes,  I want TWO backs from this class.      I want some serious talent and I'm willing to invest in it.   

Love this class.    This is where we fix the running game.

9 hours ago, BCoop said:

Rumor is Le'Veon Bell is asking for 15mil a year. Don't know what the Steelers cap situation looks like, but with that much cap room, is the headache worth the price?

Talent-wise?      Maybe.

But not with all his off the field baggage and marijuana busts that could have him out for more than 4 games if he can't beat this problem.

I wouldn't touch him at that price......      especially not with such a great RB class coming out.

I hate to say it, as bad as I want to go defense in the early rounds, I think we need to spend one more year addressing the offense in rounds 1 and 2.  We have neglected running back since Edge and it shows.  We finally have a young and promising offensive line that should be around for awhile.  The only question mark to me is still the RT position, but Haeg may shine before the season is over.  Get 2 top flight RB's in rounds 1 through 3 and spend the rest of draft on defense hoping we find a couple more hidden gems like Anderson and Parry.

As stated prior in this thread, some of that money may/should be earmarked to extend both Moncrief and Mewhort.  They will both be entering their "walk seasons" next year.  I would also think that if Moore continues to play as he has in the 1st game, Indy will want to work out a deal for him as he is a FA after this season?  And of course, Vontae will be in the final season of his contract next year..his health will determine if he is possibly extended as well? 

Overtheap is putting our current cap space at 9.2 Million not 19 million.

That puts us at 57.74 Million roughly in cap space.  

Possible Cuts: 

Frank Gore - 3.5 M in cap space savings - So that puts us at about 60M

Our free agents will be (excluding exclusive rights FA's)

McNary - RFA - Probably a low tender, decent backup LB

Harrison - RFA - Either low tender or walk.  He's just depth at this point.

Kerr - RFA - Probably want to 2nd round tender here.  Major rotational guy on D.

Cromartie - Depends on how he plays but a short extension may be in order

Butler - I think it's time for him to walk.  His play has declined and he's injured a lot more.

Turbin - Maybe for depth

Mathis - Walk/Retire

Walden - Walk or short extension

Moore - We may need to consider extending him.

Thornton - Walk

Doyle - Extend

Adams - Walk

Cole - Walk

Todman - Walk

Guy - Walk

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, BCoop said:

Is gambling that much money on a player who has durability issues worth it? Talent does no good being injured most of the time.

We have TONS of cap room. So we need to go all in IF we want to be a dominant team next year. We need to go into free agency guns blazing and come out with one of Chandler Jones or Melvin Ingram, Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson, and an ILB like Jelani Jenkins, Jamie Collins, Kiko Alonso (If he plays up to his potential this year) Maybe Zach Brown. That's 2-3 high priced FA's. Those guys along with a great draft, and progression of this years draft class could give us a top 10 defense or better. We need to draft ALL defense except for a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. But a LB corps of Chandler Jones - Sio Moore/Rookie - Jamie Collins/Jelani Jenkins/Kiko Alonso - Robert Mathis would be killer. Plus a high round EDGE rusher or 2 rotating in and out. Then a secondary of Vontae Davis, TJ Green, Clayton Geathers, and Stephon Gilmore would be close to tops in the league. Then throw in Patrick Robinson and probably a rookie as our 3rd and 4th CB's and we're loaded with tons of depth. Do we have Langford under contract next year? Langford's solid. Anderson will be an established star by this time next year. We need 1-2 or McGill, Parry, Kerr, or Ridgeway to break out and become really good starters. In the draft I'd love to see an EDGE rusher in the 1st, RB in the 2nd, EDGE rusher in the 3rd, then CB/DT/ILB in the 4th and after.

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We have TONS of cap room. So we need to go all in IF we want to be a dominant team next year. We need to go into free agency guns blazing and come out with one of Chandler Jones or Melvin Ingram, Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson, and an ILB like Jelani Jenkins, Jamie Collins, Kiko Alonso (If he plays up to his potential this year) Maybe Zach Brown. That's 2-3 high priced FA's. Those guys along with a great draft, and progression of this years draft class could give us a top 10 defense or better. We need to draft ALL defense except for a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. But a LB corps of Chandler Jones - Sio Moore/Rookie - Jamie Collins/Jelani Jenkins/Kiko Alonso - Robert Mathis would be killer. Plus a high round EDGE rusher or 2 rotating in and out. Then a secondary of Vontae Davis, TJ Green, Clayton Geathers, and Stephon Gilmore would be close to tops in the league. Then throw in Patrick Robinson and probably a rookie as our 3rd and 4th CB's and we're loaded with tons of depth.

1- Your wish list and reality are two different things.

2- Grigson is not going to go all in on free agents as you suggest.

3- Drafting all defense?  Wrong, drafting the best player available has proven to work over time.

A GM does not just snap his fingers and make a list of what you want happen.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We have TONS of cap room. So we need to go all in IF we want to be a dominant team next year. We need to go into free agency guns blazing and come out with one of Chandler Jones or Melvin Ingram, Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson, and an ILB like Jelani Jenkins, Jamie Collins, Kiko Alonso (If he plays up to his potential this year) Maybe Zach Brown. That's 2-3 high priced FA's. Those guys along with a great draft, and progression of this years draft class could give us a top 10 defense or better. We need to draft ALL defense except for a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. But a LB corps of Chandler Jones - Sio Moore/Rookie - Jamie Collins/Jelani Jenkins/Kiko Alonso - Robert Mathis would be killer. Plus a high round EDGE rusher or 2 rotating in and out. Then a secondary of Vontae Davis, TJ Green, Clayton Geathers, and Stephon Gilmore would be close to tops in the league. Then throw in Patrick Robinson and probably a rookie as our 3rd and 4th CB's and we're loaded with tons of depth. Do we have Langford under contract next year? Langford's solid. Anderson will be an established star by this time next year. We need 1-2 or McGill, Parry, Kerr, or Ridgeway to break out and become really good starters. In the draft I'd love to see an EDGE rusher in the 1st, RB in the 2nd, EDGE rusher in the 3rd, then CB/DT/ILB in the 4th and after.

We won't even sign 1 great player if Grigson is still here he wastes our cap on middle of the pack players and mediocre players has every year he has been here 

On 9/13/2016 at 9:52 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Overtheap is putting our current cap space at 9.2 Million not 19 million.

That puts us at 57.74 Million roughly in cap space.  

Possible Cuts: 

Frank Gore - 3.5 M in cap space savings - So that puts us at about 60M

Our free agents will be (excluding exclusive rights FA's)

McNary - RFA - Probably a low tender, decent backup LB

Harrison - RFA - Either low tender or walk.  He's just depth at this point.

Kerr - RFA - Probably want to 2nd round tender here.  Major rotational guy on D.

Cromartie - Depends on how he plays but a short extension may be in order

Butler - I think it's time for him to walk.  His play has declined and he's injured a lot more.

Turbin - Maybe for depth

Mathis - Walk/Retire

Walden - Walk or short extension

Moore - We may need to consider extending him.

Thornton - Walk

Doyle - Extend

Adams - Walk

Cole - Walk

Todman - Walk

Guy - Walk

By the end of the year, the rollover will probably be down to $5m...

In addition to Gore, Jackson and Jones are potential cuts. I'm projecting over $60m for the Colts, before extensions and FA retentions, and assuming they don't trade for someone during the season.

Set aside $5-8m for draft picks.

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

By the end of the year, the rollover will probably be down to $5m...

In addition to Gore, Jackson and Jones are potential cuts. I'm projecting over $60m for the Colts, before extensions and FA retentions, and assuming they don't trade for someone during the season.

Set aside $5-8m for draft picks.

I'll give you Jones as a potential cut, but I don't see us cutting Jackson.  

We're already going to have enough trouble replacing our linebacking corps anyways considering Walden, Cole, Mathis, and Moore are all on their final years.  While Moore I think is a guy we could extend, Mathis and Cole just need to go because of age and lack of production and Walden is only maybe good for the short term.  

That's a lot of starting LB's we might have to replace in 1 offseason.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'll give you Jones as a potential cut, but I don't see us cutting Jackson.  

We're already going to have enough trouble replacing our linebacking corps anyways considering Walden, Cole, Mathis, and Moore are all on their final years.  While Moore I think is a guy we could extend, Mathis and Cole just need to go because of age and lack of production and Walden is only maybe good for the short term.  

That's a lot of starting LB's we might have to replace in 1 offseason.  

The entire LB corps, save for Moore, needs to be replaced. I don't see any justification for keeping D'Qwell after this season. I know the staff loves him, but he's a liability, and is due $5.5m. To me, he definitely belongs on the potential cut list.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The entire LB corps, save for Moore, needs to be replaced. I don't see any justification for keeping D'Qwell after this season. I know the staff loves him, but he's a liability, and is due $5.5m. To me, he definitely belongs on the potential cut list.

Walden, Moore, and Morrison all need to be kept. The others are expendable as of now. Maggit and Ayers we will see on their potential. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Walden, Moore, and Morrison all need to be kept. The others are expendable as of now. Maggit and Ayers we will see on their potential. 

Morrison is under contract. Walden can't have a considerable market. Moore is going to be interesting, especially if he has a good season, but let's say he has a Freeman type of market, we should be able to keep him. Three years, $15m should definitely get it done.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

It's admittedly a tough week to be objective, but I'm still a bit surprised that DQ wasn't released this past offseason. It felt like the right move then, and it certainly does after 2016.

We simply need to move forward with players at ILB that can play in the open field. 

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

It's admittedly a tough week to be objective, but I'm still a bit surprised that DQ wasn't released this past offseason. It felt like the right move then, and it certainly does after 2016.

We simply need to move forward with players at ILB that can play in the open field. 

I wonder, if Freeman had accepted the Colts offer, would they have released Jackson?

Like you, I think releasing Jackson last offseason would have been a proactive move. I think I even made a thread about it. I know they all like Jackson, and he seems like a good, vocal leader, and a solid veteran presence. But it was pretty obvious that he was on the decline last year. Just one game so far this year, so maybe he'll stay at the same level, but usually, once it starts to go, it goes, and fast. And we're talking about a guy who has always been more of a phone booth kind of guy than an open field, good in space kind of guy.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I wonder, if Freeman had accepted the Colts offer, would they have released Jackson?

Like you, I think releasing Jackson last offseason would have been a proactive move. I think I even made a thread about it. I know they all like Jackson, and he seems like a good, vocal leader, and a solid veteran presence. But it was pretty obvious that he was on the decline last year. Just one game so far this year, so maybe he'll stay at the same level, but usually, once it starts to go, it goes, and fast. And we're talking about a guy who has always been more of a phone booth kind of guy than an open field, good in space kind of guy.

I remember the thread, and that you were ready to move on proactively....and you have certainly been consistent about players and space/coverage  ability  (Ragland, whom I liked - u not so much).

I wondered the same about Freeman and Jackson at the time.  Pure speculation, but it felt like a Pagano move to keep DQ and his character rather than face the uncertainty of replacing both.  Can't blame him honestly, from that angle - coaches need predictable play, even with short comings. Grigson, seems much more eager to move on and build the roster, also understandabe given his role.

We can probably blame Grigson for digging in with a take it or leave it posture with Freeman. Very Belichick of him. I really liked the sideline to sideline flashes that Moore showed on Sunday.  We'd probably be a much better unit with Moore and Freeman.  However, Freeman wasn't going to be tomorrow's answer anyway.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Morrison is under contract. Walden can't have a considerable market. Moore is going to be interesting, especially if he has a good season, but let's say he has a Freeman type of market, we should be able to keep him. Three years, $15m should definitely get it done.

You read my mind on that contract for Moore..lol!  Another "Super Power" :)

On Monday, September 05, 2016 at 3:29 PM, loudnproudcolt said:

Hey everyone. I know this is looking so far ahead, but it is how I always am looking at things. The Colts have committed to building through the draft, which I like. As disastrous as the 2013 draft was, we finally have some key pieces who look like they are going to develop, especially from last years, and I like this years so far in the preseason. The DL looks deep, and I believe the OL will be good, but it will take time to grow. I can name several teams who finally went all in and drafted high for several seasons for the OL, but it takes time to develop. We are impatient, I am the worst. OL from college spread to Pro is the biggest adjustment now. Teaching is not there in College, since the blocking is so different, so give it time.

OK, so the point of this is the Cap next year. If you count the carry over from this year, we are going to have over 65M in cap space next year. We have 19M right now for the season left, and 49M for 2017, if my calculations are right (numbers are from OTC). On the other hand, we have no FA's I can argue we have to bring back, although I would like Walden, Kerr, Doyle, and possibly Moore back at the right prices. Mathis, I believe this will be his last year. Adams is up there in age, and I think Green and Geathers will be taking the place of our two starters there. So the FA's we have if we decide to sign are not going to be big money contracts. We have Andrew signed, and still have huge capspace. The only other contract which pops into my head is to extend Montcrief, which I will assume he will be our one priority.

So we are going to have a lot of cap space. We know pass rusher, LB, and CB are our areas of need. I am going to assume the OL line grows over the year, and we have a lot of depth for each of the positions. So what do we do with all the cap space?

I am not at this point going to look at the FA's who might be available next year. I just want to see what everyone thinks. Will we alter the draft only approach? I think we have to, but I don't want to spend on middling players. I would be more willing to do what the Giants did this year, to make the Defensive unit more nasty if we can get a true impact player or two. CB needs to be address also, since they take awhile to develop. So this is more of a primer. What are your thoughts on the Cap and how we handle it. It has to be looked at differently next year. 2011 (Polian) and 2013 were such bad drafts, it has left us with few FA's to resign. Love what we have done since though. So where do the dollars go. Do we spend some? I believe yes, but what strategy and where? Looking more at the where and the strategy instead of the players since we don't know who will be available, but if you have some ideas, please jump in. All answers and thoughts are welcome!

If we can spend, but spend wisely in free agency on stud defensive players specifically pass rushers and have a hell of a draft (SPECIFICALLY DEFENSE-ALL POSITIONS), we will be a force next season! I do like Dalvin Cook a lot though. We need a running back. Every other pick needs to be on the defensive side of the ball. We committed to the offensive side this past draft and it may pan out...we'll see. But our defense is atrocious and needs rebuilding/depth.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Also, I'd add that I'm not enamored with Morrison.  Most of the time when I see him try to make an open field solo tackle he misses.  That was true in college and it was true in preseason.  

Coverage won't even matter if he can't tackle in space.  I get that he loves contact and is great at taking on blocks so that others can finish, but we need a lot more than that.

6 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Also, I'd add that I'm not enamored with Morrison.  Most of the time when I see him try to make an open field solo tackle he misses.  That was true in college and it was true in preseason.  

Coverage won't even matter if he can't tackle in space.  I get that he loves contact and is great at taking on blocks so that others can finish, but we need a lot more than that.

I'm not a fan of Morrison. I'm holding off on giving him a thumbs down because he's probably not fully healthy and needs time to get acclimated, but he certainly doesn't seem like a space player.

9 hours ago, ztboiler said:

I remember the thread, and that you were ready to move on proactively....and you have certainly been consistent about players and space/coverage  ability  (Ragland, whom I liked - u not so much).

I wondered the same about Freeman and Jackson at the time.  Pure speculation, but it felt like a Pagano move to keep DQ and his character rather than face the uncertainty of replacing both.  Can't blame him honestly, from that angle - coaches need predictable play, even with short comings. Grigson, seems much more eager to move on and build the roster, also understandabe given his role.

We can probably blame Grigson for digging in with a take it or leave it posture with Freeman. Very Belichick of him. I really liked the sideline to sideline flashes that Moore showed on Sunday.  We'd probably be a much better unit with Moore and Freeman.  However, Freeman wasn't going to be tomorrow's answer anyway.

To the last sentence, Freeman probably isn't tomorrow's answer (I wonder if people realize how old he is and how many miles he has on him), and I wonder if he'd actually make a big difference right now. We haven't been able to cover the middle, even with him, and we still don't have a pass rush. Yet, he probably would have made a play or two last Sunday, maybe even on that last drive... All things equal, I'd rather have Freeman/Moore than Jackson/Moore.

Even the cash isn't a big consideration. And the comp pick probably won't be a big deal either. I think he overestimated his market, then Grigson walked away. But that happens, especially with 30 year old free agents.

Moore is good in space, for sure, but probably not that good in man coverage. 

There's no way to argue this. With around 60 million in cap space before the cap goes up probably another 10 million we have plenty of room to extend Moncrief and Mewhort, and sign 2 big time players, and another reallt good one. Example being Chandler Jones/Melvin Ingram and Stephon Gilmore as the high dollar contracts, and then another really good, moderate contract like a Jelani Jenkins or Zach Brown. Or maybe Jones/Ingram, Gilmore, and Demarcus Ware. Then we could take care of ILB and RB, and whatever else in the top 3 rounds. Hopefully, and it looks this way. But hopefully the OL will be set and we wont need anything except maybe depth. A quality backup. And the D-Line should be pretty much set. If anything I could see us needing a NT. I don't know why people think Parry's such a gem. He balled out the first few games last year, then was kinda bad. Maybe he'll break out this year. Its only been one game, but between Kerr, McGill, Parry, and Ridgeway. A couple of those guys should really step up. The others are still most likely going to be really good rotational DT's.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not a fan of Morrison. I'm holding off on giving him a thumbs down because he's probably not fully healthy and needs time to get acclimated, but he certainly doesn't seem like a space player.

It does concern me a bit that we drafted this type of ILB at this juncture of a youth movement on defense.  It's a reflection on scheme plans and coaching preferences....potentially.

On 9/17/2016 at 8:45 PM, COLTS449 said:

There's no way to argue this. With around 60 million in cap space before the cap goes up probably another 10 million we have plenty of room to extend Moncrief and Mewhort, and sign 2 big time players, and another reallt good one. Example being Chandler Jones/Melvin Ingram and Stephon Gilmore as the high dollar contracts, and then another really good, moderate contract like a Jelani Jenkins or Zach Brown. Or maybe Jones/Ingram, Gilmore, and Demarcus Ware. Then we could take care of ILB and RB, and whatever else in the top 3 rounds. Hopefully, and it looks this way. But hopefully the OL will be set and we wont need anything except maybe depth. A quality backup. And the D-Line should be pretty much set. If anything I could see us needing a NT. I don't know why people think Parry's such a gem. He balled out the first few games last year, then was kinda bad. Maybe he'll break out this year. Its only been one game, but between Kerr, McGill, Parry, and Ridgeway. A couple of those guys should really step up. The others are still most likely going to be really good rotational DT's.

FYI overthecap is figuring the salary cap to be at 166 M for 2017 which is about a 6 M increase from this year and with that counted it puts us at 49.9M (Call it 50) in cap space.  

Now people have discussed cutting Art Jones, DQ Jackson, and Gore.  Art and DQ are worth about 5M in cap space each.  Gore is 3.5 M in cap space.

On September 14, 2016 at 0:51 AM, COLTS449 said:

I like your energy. Would be cool to get a couple of those guys. But you have to remember... Grigson is the guy looking to get a bargain, so he's picking players from the clearance rack. Usually doesn't work in our favor and we're another year down the drain. He just needs to be smart and address the holes we have and make sure it's a player that can do it every time. I'm sick of the project players.

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

FYI overthecap is figuring the salary cap to be at 166 M for 2017 which is about a 6 M increase from this year and with that counted it puts us at 49.9M (Call it 50) in cap space.  

Now people have discussed cutting Art Jones, DQ Jackson, and Gore.  Art and DQ are worth about 5M in cap space each.  Gore is 3.5 M in cap space.

This year's cap is $155.27m. OTC shows the Colts' cap space including 2015 rollover. The $166m projection reflects a 7% increase, which is reasonable. I could see it being 8%, which would make the cap nearly $168m. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 6:49 PM, Superman said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this. The guy looks like he's literally running in cement. I don't doubt he could be an above average run stopping ILB, but our system requires flexibility between both ILB's playing in space/coverage. His athleticism is his downfall. Even if he's not healthy, I don't think we are going to see some miraculous improvement when he is 100%.

33 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this. The guy looks like he's literally running in cement. I don't doubt he could be an above average run stopping ILB, but our system requires flexibility between both ILB's playing in space/coverage. His athleticism is his downfall. Even if he's not healthy, I don't think we are going to see some miraculous improvement when he is 100%.

Best case scenario for Morrison at this point is playing the D'Qwell Jackson role next season when Indy hopefully releases him in the offseason.

Indy desperately needs to add an impact coverage ILB next offseason though. Unless they're planning on employing the 3 safety scheme where Geathers plays LB on coverage downs.