Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Belichick: Joint practices can help cut down injury risk

krunk

I don't subscribe to the notion that joint practices can reduce injuries as Bill seems to think it does because blown knees, torn ACLs, & hamstring issues can happen anywhere anytime. 

It's fine to tackle somebody new & all, but cutting down on injury with a new tempo, just can't be proven IMO. 

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah but wouldn't players also go at it harder, now that they aren't playing against their own teammates? How many times in TC have we heard of somebody getting a 'would be' sack on Luck? If it was a guy on a different team, doubt he pulls up/eases up.

QBs are still red shirted in joint practices. At least they were when the Colts practiced against the Bears.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Bill's logic is somewhat flawed....

....hard to argue you would go all WWE on a guy you knew more so than a guy you didn't know.

I agree you play harder against strangers but that's not going to mean less injury risk, is it?

He just means in terms of number of players on the field.  If you're running a scrimmage and it's just you, you risk an injury on offense and defense.  But if you go against another team, you cut that risk in half.

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I don't subscribe to the notion that joint practices can reduce injuries as Bill seems to think it does because blown knees, torn ACLs, & hamstring issues can happen anywhere anytime. 

It's fine to tackle somebody new & all, but cutting down on injury with a new tempo, just can't be proven IMO. 

I agree with the first half,  the second half not so much.  You can test these things and prove either way.  

Colts used to scrimmage with the st louis rams at the university of illinois in the preseason.  This was early in Manning's career.

I think it had to do with relationships between the coaches and the u of i being a good half way point for both teams.

Anyway, anyway playing half the time will result in half the injuries. That's easy math

14 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah but wouldn't players also go at it harder, now that they aren't playing against their own teammates? How many times in TC have we heard of somebody getting a 'would be' sack on Luck? If it was a guy on a different team, doubt he pulls up/eases up.

I had the same thoughts. Throughout training camp, I have read tweets from reporters and bloggers at practice, saying "that would have been a sack". So, I have the same concerns you have  (the bolded).

Today and tomorrow, the Vikes will practice with/against the Bengals, then play a preseason game against them. I am concerned that someone like Vontaze Burfict will hurt one or more of our players. The guy has no self-control.

17 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Interesting/unfortunate how he says this, then Ninkovich tears his tricep as they're practicing against the Saints

Thank you 21. You just proved OUM's & my point that joint practices don't reduce NFL injuries on the field during training camp. 

It doesn't matter that the offense & defense aren't doing drills at the exact same time. Injuries still occur regardless. Ergo, joint practices don't lower player injuries at all IMO. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thank you 21. You just proved OUM's & my point that joint practices don't reduce NFL injuries on the field during training camp. 

It doesn't matter that the offense & defense aren't doing drills at the exact same time. Injuries still occur regardless. Ergo, joint practices don't lower player injuries at all IMO. 

I think it's hard to quantify.  Yes, you have fewer players on the field at any one time, but those players are probably going a bit harder since they're practicing against another team.  So fewer players, but more intense play.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think it's hard to quantify.  Yes, you have fewer players on the field at any one time, but those players are probably going a bit harder since they're practicing against another team.  So fewer players, but more intense play.

Yeah, I get what you're driving at 21. It's difficult to apply a scientific formula to joint practices on the injury meter with any concrete authority. I guess there is merit to the idea that 2 NFL coaching staffs can negotiate & lay out how intense scrimmages will be contact wise over 3-4 days. 

I just don't believe that joint practices are the answer to avoiding NFL injuries against say your own players in your own camp facilities. 

Hey you know what I just realized? For the first time in the 3 or 4 years I've been here, and apparently some more years before that, we haven't had a topic every week or so about how some spprtswriter ranked Brady the best quarterback. I thought the culprit made an alt after Peyton won the SB?

On August 9, 2016 at 11:56 PM, 21isSuperman said:

He just means in terms of number of players on the field.  If you're running a scrimmage and it's just you, you risk an injury on offense and defense.  But if you go against another team, you cut that risk in half.

If it's one team's offense against another's defense then they are only getting half the reps (give or take) as practicing against your own team.  To get the same amount of reps per team as before you'd have to practice twice as much (give or take) so you'd still have same risk (give or take) as before.

Or if my O is going against your D, and my D is going against your O (at same time), there would still be same risk (give or take).

i don't see the big decrease in injury risk. 

Sounds like nonsense to me.

On August 10, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Nadine said:

Anyway, anyway playing half the time will result in half the injuries. That's easy math

Playing half the time would make you half as prepared.

i realize it's not a direct 1:1 relationship, but that's easy math too.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:54 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Hey you know what I just realized? For the first time in the 3 or 4 years I've been here, and apparently some more years before that, we haven't had a topic every week or so about how some spprtswriter ranked Brady the best quarterback. I thought the culprit made an alt after Peyton won the SB?

This board will forever be obsessed with the Patriots though. The Colts do not even play them this year on their schedule (a blessing really, considering how bad Indy is bound to be with a tough schedule) yet we still have to hear Deflategate, Brady, "cheatin' Pats" and all the other cliche rhetoric. 

20 minutes ago, Bogie said:

This board will forever be obsessed with the Patriots though. The Colts do not even play them this year on their schedule (a blessing really, considering how bad Indy is bound to be with a tough schedule) yet we still have to hear Deflategate, Brady, "cheatin' Pats" and all the other cliche rhetoric. 

You don't have to come here.   No one will be upset with your departure I promise you

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:56 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I think that's flawed because players don't go as hard and fast against teammates as they do true opponents..

So even though twice as many players would be out there, many of them aren't in full 'world of hurt' mode.

When you face others...you have to hit and hurt to impress  I dont  know for sure obviously (and Bill B. knows what he sees) but I think you want to hurt (within the spectrum of the game) outsiders..

I surprised if most players drive their teammates into the ground the way they do true foes

17 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think that's flawed because players don't go as hard and fast against teammates as they do true opponents..

So even though twice as many players would be out there, many of them aren't in full 'world of hurt' mode.

When you face others...you have to hit and hurt to impress  I dont  know for sure obviously (and Bill B. knows what he sees) but I think you want to hurt (within the spectrum of the game) outsiders..

I surprised if most players drive their teammates into the ground the way they do true foes

They most certainly do go just as hard in padded practices against teammates.    The only one safe is the qb who no one is allowed to touch,   But those same rules apply in a scrimmage against another team.    If you aren't playing full on,  an UDFA is going to clean your clock.  

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Is that the same cliche rhetoric we hear from you on a daily bases about your ragging on the Colts? Your not even a Colts fan so what do mean 'we'?

5 hours ago, Bogie said:

Worry about how bad the Saints probably will be.