Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson E:60

Pacergeek

I joined this after it started.....     but from what I saw of it,  I thought Trent came across as a decent guy....

But somewhat naive and overly trusting.....      like many professional athletes,  he doesn't know how to say "sorry,  no" to either family or friends.      It's a pretty common story.

So,  now Trent is both unemployed AND financially broke.        Bad combination.

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I joined this after it started.....     but from what I saw of it,  I thought Trent came across as a decent guy....

But somewhat naive and overly trusting.....      like many professional athletes,  he doesn't know how to say "sorry,  no" to either family or friends.      It's a pretty common story.

So,  now Trent is both unemployed AND financially broke.        Bad combination.

I thought when we got him we would roll actually! I just thought playing with Andrew and TY he would excel.

I've now seen the entire piece.    Trent is mostly sympathetic.      He's very mature and very naive.

Fortunately,  he's not broke.    At least,  not completely.      But he and his kid are now living in the home he bought for his grandmother.        He says he has enough money for him and his daughter....    but perhaps not for the rest of his family and clearly not for the rest of his friends.

His days at being an ATM are over.

That said......   if he wants another shot at the NFL,  he's got to get into NFL shape.     I'm not sure he's ever done that.       He needs to be sub-220.    Somewhere between 213 and 219.

The video of him as a freshman and sophomore when he was about 205 and 215, he had speed and acceleration.      That said,  Banner of Cleveland said Trent lacked vision and instincts to hit the hole.     Yeah,  we saw that....       I hope he gets another shot,  and I hope he finally makes the most of it.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've now seen the entire piece.    Trent is mostly sympathetic.      He's very mature and very naive.

Fortunately,  he's not broke.    At least,  not completely.      But he and his kid are now living in the home he bought for his grandmother.        He says he has enough money for him and his daughter....    but perhaps not for the rest of his family and clearly not for the rest of his friends.

His days at being an ATM are over.

That said......   if he wants another shot at the NFL,  he's got to get into NFL shape.     I'm not sure he's ever done that.       He needs to be sub-220.    Somewhere between 213 and 219.

The video of him as a freshman and sophomore when he was about 205 and 215, he had speed and acceleration.      That said,  Banner of Cleveland said Trent lacked vision and instincts to hit the hole.     Yeah,  we saw that....       I hope he gets another shot,  and I hope he finally makes the most of it.

That's all well and good but I missed the part in there where he apologized for blaming the Colts for his bad play in Indy. I do have sympathy for his family/money/assertiveness though so hopefully if he's in a good place now or in the near future, he can maybe someday get another shot somewhere.

No matter what you think of Richardson, he didn't screw the Colts.  He was traded, and it wasn't by his hand.  You can scold him for not living up to his draft status, you can say he was this or that, but it's not HIS fault the Colts made the trade for him.

I don't feel sorry for him.  He barely played and made more money than I might see in my lifetime.  If he is broke it's his fault and nobody else's.  He got to live a life and do things the vast majority of us don't.  Even if that part of his life is now over at least he had the opportunity.  Again, I don't feel sorry for him.  But I don't blame him for the Colts' failures (OR Grigs') either.

I hope he has a nice life.

23 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

No matter what you think of Richardson, he didn't screw the Colts.  He was traded, and it wasn't by his hand.  You can scold him for not living up to his draft status, you can say he was this or that, but it's not HIS fault the Colts made the trade for him.

I don't feel sorry for him.  He barely played and made more money than I might see in my lifetime.  If he is broke it's his fault and nobody else's.  He got to live a life and do things the vast majority of us don't.  Even if that part of his life is now over at least he had the opportunity.  Again, I don't feel sorry for him.  But I don't blame him for the Colts' failures (OR Grigs') either.

I hope he has a nice life.

I fully agree

After watching the video, one thing that stuck out to me is he didn't criticize his performance or being overweight. Instead, he criticized everyone but himself -- his extended family's financial burdens, being traded, and how he would adapt to the transition of a new city.

Don't get me wrong, this video was edited together nicely, and there were some tearful moments with great ambient music, but let's not allow it to distract us from the real issue -- Richardson stubbornly believes he has talent when he doesn't. He doesn't respond well to coaching, lacks vision, is hesitant, and publicly attacked the Colts front office. It will take a lot more than leg rehab and weight conditioning to fix his issues.

3 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

After watching the video, one thing that stuck out to me is he didn't criticize his performance or being overweight. Instead, he criticized everyone but himself -- his extended family's financial burdens, being traded, and how he would adapt to the transition of a new city.

Don't get me wrong, this video was edited together nicely, and there were some tearful moments with great ambient music, but let's not allow it to distract us from the real issue -- Richardson stubbornly believes he has talent when he doesn't. He doesn't respond well to coaching, lacks vision, is hesitant, and publicly attacked the Colts front office. It will take a lot more than leg rehab and weight conditioning to fix his issues.

If they strung him up would that make you happy? How about burning him a the stake? It was the Colts who traded for him, not the other way around. He was doing fine with the Browns. His problem is he got lazy and lost the will to compete. I agree that's on him but get over it. The Colts have three years ago and we have had enough hate to last those three years. Grigson has taken the heat, the Colts have taken the heat, maybe it's time for us to get over the heat? I assume he knows how to read and has read what is said about him. If he went on air and stated all those things then what? If he does the work it takes to get back into the NFL I would still not have the hate and say the hateful things we have been reading for three long years. The trade didn't work out, it happens in the NFL and Richardson is not the first and sure wont be the last. Every player signed, drafted or traded for is a gamble. We lost the gamble. It's not the end of the world. With him we still won 11 games and even though he didn't help much he didn't hurt us either. A late first round pick does not guarantee anything.

In explaining why the Browns traded Richardson 17 games into his NFL career, Banner said team officials thought he lacked a key quality needed to become a great pro running back.

"I think the really smart general managers focus on a couple of qualities at certain positions that if you don't have, you won't succeed," Banner said. "We traded Trent because we didn't think he had great vision. If you don't have great vision, a kind of feel for where the hole is going to be, you can have all the strength, the power, the measurables, all the things he did in college and you're going to struggle. It's just they're too fast, they're too big, they're too good at that level to have that weakness.

"I think if you look at the really good running backs, they have a really good feel, a really good vision, whatever word you want to use for it, and at least at the time he was there, we didn't think he had that to be a really elite running back. So we thought we could get the pick, get a guy that maybe had that a little bit later and fill a different need. That was the thinking. It turned out to be right in that case."

Grigson traded for him thinking he was getting a player that could help the Colts win . We all saw he could'nt we all saw that he had no vision it was painfully obvious that the trade was a bust he had every opportunity to prove himself & he did just that " BUST "  I do feel for the guy but his lack of vision carried over to his off the field life & thats a shame , I really hoped he would do great as a Colt but he failed miserably . I wish him the best & I hope he learns from his experience & makes better choices in the future as far as finances go .

On 8/8/2016 at 4:25 AM, crazycolt1 said:

If they strung him up would that make you happy? How about burning him a the stake? It was the Colts who traded for him, not the other way around. He was doing fine with the Browns. His problem is he got lazy and lost the will to compete. I agree that's on him but get over it. The Colts have three years ago and we have had enough hate to last those three years. Grigson has taken the heat, the Colts have taken the heat, maybe it's time for us to get over the heat? I assume he knows how to read and has read what is said about him. If he went on air and stated all those things then what? If he does the work it takes to get back into the NFL I would still not have the hate and say the hateful things we have been reading for three long years. The trade didn't work out, it happens in the NFL and Richardson is not the first and sure wont be the last. Every player signed, drafted or traded for is a gamble. We lost the gamble. It's not the end of the world. With him we still won 11 games and even though he didn't help much he didn't hurt us either. A late first round pick does not guarantee anything.

Let me challenge you on one thing.  He wasn't really doing fine with the Browns.  He was still under 4 YPC.  

Also if a team trading you away makes you lose the will to compete then there is something wrong with you.  That should only motivate you more to prove to them that they made the wrong decision.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Trent and I'm not blaming this on Trent.  Our GM IMO didn't do his homework before triggering that trade.  That's on our GM.

But he wasn't doing fine with the Browns and the Browns in a rare moment of clarity got rid of him while his college performances and his draft status where still making him into a star that he really wasn't.  

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Let me challenge you on one thing.  He wasn't really doing fine with the Browns.  He was still under 4 YPC.  

Also if a team trading you away makes you lose the will to compete then there is something wrong with you.  That should only motivate you more to prove to them that they made the wrong decision.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Trent and I'm not blaming this on Trent.  Our GM IMO didn't do his homework before triggering that trade.  That's on our GM.

But he wasn't doing fine with the Browns and the Browns in a rare moment of clarity got rid of him while his college performances and his draft status where still making him into a star that he really wasn't.  

Trent's rookie season he ran for 950 yards and 11 TDs, He also caught 51 catches for 367 yards with 1 TD. He only played 2 games for the Browns the next year before being traded to the Colts. A RB does not have to average over 4 yards a carry to be considered good. Every indication was that Trent was going to be a good pick up at the time the trade was made. I know of no GM, coach or fan who thought this was not going to be a good trade for the Colts with a late first round pick. You are using hindsight to judge what happened. He was a good RB with the Browns regardless of you saying other wise. There was even talk of how the Colts got over on the stupid Browns right here in this forum. Why is that? Because he did look good when he played for the Browns. He brought his problems on himself but calling out Grigson for not doing his homework is wrong because  the numbers say a different thing.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Trent's rookie season he ran for 950 yards and 11 TDs, He also caught 51 catches for 367 yards with 1 TD. He only played 2 games for the Browns the next year before being traded to the Colts. A RB does not have to average over 4 yards a carry to be considered good. Every indication was that Trent was going to be a good pick up at the time the trade was made. I know of no GM, coach or fan who thought this was not going to be a good trade for the Colts with a late first round pick. You are using hindsight to judge what happened. He was a good RB with the Browns regardless of you saying other wise. There was even talk of how the Colts got over on the stupid Browns right here in this forum. Why is that? Because he did look good when he played for the Browns. He brought his problems on himself but calling out Grigson for not doing his homework is wrong because  the numbers say a different thing.

Most decent RB's need to put up 4 YPC.  The only way to avoid it is if you are a 3rd down back and are essentially a receiver who lines up in the backfield.  

Sorry I don't agree, 4 YPC is the minimum a decent RB should be doing in this league.  

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There's a lot of truth to that,  But there were people in Cleveland who didn't think he was worth the pick for them after they saw him play - Jim Brown included.  I think he said Trent was nothing special at the time.  So there's the old 'no RB is worth a first round pick' argument twice with him.

I probably saw every game he played at Bama and thought he was as good or better than Ingram, who won the Heisman. 

Also, you can't really use YPC to say what a RB is worth.  Gore averaged less than 4 YPC last season and there was no doubt that he was a very good RB. 

As you said, it's easy when you have 20/20 hindsight.  If I'm going to fault Grigson for anything, it's waiting this long to focus on the O line.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Most decent RB's need to put up 4 YPC.  The only way to avoid it is if you are a 3rd down back and are essentially a receiver who lines up in the backfield.  

Sorry I don't agree, 4 YPC is the minimum a decent RB should be doing in this league.  

So Gore, Freeman, Lynch, Hill and Murray were all no good last season?  Oh, by the way Trent was not bad catching passes out of the back field. One thing you are failing to take into consideration is the lack of blocking that Trent faced and how many time he was hit in the backfield before getting close to the line of scrimmage. I am sure that is the excuse you will use for Gore. Freeman was one of the best RBs in the league last season and he averaged under 4 yards per carry.

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Gore, Freeman, Lynch, Hill and Murray were all no good last season?  Oh, by the way Trent was not bad catching passes out of the back field. One thing you are failing to take into consideration is the lack of blocking that Trent faced and how many time he was hit in the backfield before getting close to the line of scrimmage. I am sure that is the excuse you will use for Gore. Freeman was one of the best RBs in the league last season and he averaged under 4 yards per carry.

The only people who think Gore was good last season are Colt's fans.  I don't think Gore was good last season.

Lynch was horrible last season when he was playing.  Why do you think he retired?? 

Demarco Murray was bad along with the rest of the eagles. 

Freeman started out well but faded down the stretch.  I will note that he did have 4 YPC.

And yes Hill was bad last season.  

Trent always was bad even in Cleveland.  People where just blinded to it because of his college career and draft status.  

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

There's a lot of truth to that,  But there were people in Cleveland who didn't think he was worth the pick for them after they saw him play - Jim Brown included.  I think he said Trent was nothing special at the time.  So there's the old 'no RB is worth a first round pick' argument twice with him.

I probably saw every game he played at Bama and thought he was as good or better than Ingram, who won the Heisman. 

Also, you can't really use YPC to say what a RB is worth.  Gore averaged less than 4 YPC last season and there was no doubt that he was a very good RB. 

As you said, it's easy when you have 20/20 hindsight.  If I'm going to fault Grigson for anything, it's waiting this long to focus on the O line.

The only people who thought Gore was good last season where Colt's fans.  

Gore's had a great career but he didn't run that great with the Colts.  Maybe he will this year.  

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The only people who thought Gore was good last season where Colt's fans.  

Gore's had a great career but he didn't run that great with the Colts.  Maybe he will this year.  

Did you actually see him play or just read his stats?  He was still one of the hardest running RBs in the league last season.  The way the line played it's a miracle he even average 3.7 ypc.

19 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Did you actually see him play or just read his stats?  He was still one of the hardest running RBs in the league last season.  The way the line played it's a miracle he even average 3.7 ypc.

He had some good gains. . . he also had a lot of stops at the line.  

We remember the good gains a lot because those nearly never happened with Trent.

On 8/8/2016 at 1:10 AM, ReMeDy said:

The truth hurts, but this post here is a dose of it. 

After he left here he tried to spin it that we were the problem during his time here. Now that he's been jettisoned from both the Raiders and Ravens, it's something else. 

Trent Richardson's problem is Trent Richardson. He can talk about going into the Hall of Fame, and who all is responsible for his struggles, but he can't actually, you know, get over his struggles.

I watch the video and have a hard time feeling sorry for him even still because he let those people take advantage of him. We're seeing a recurring theme here: Trent Richardson's problem is Trent Richardson.

We more than likely have seen the last of him in the NFL. 

Lets face it, the kid has issue, His emphatic personally got him in serious financial trouble and boat load of worry. I will concede that was a bit of the problem he has but to be honest, He wasnt in NFL shape and he was said to be "lazy" by some teammates. 

Once he lets go of the ego, he will be better but it may be in Canada or the Arena League