Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sb 46 Will Be A Lose-Lose For Peyton Manning Fans.

Cain Marko

I'm not saying that teams dont win Superbowls. Of course they do. Im just saying that Im not using that cliche to undermine what a quarterback is able to accomplish. When a team goes to the Superbowl, and the quarterback is the leader of that team, it goes on his resume and adds to his legacy. All Im saying is that many of you Colts fans tend to overemphasize the importance of categories and lists that Peyton leads, and you underemphasize ones where he doesnt...all because you're so worried about someone else getting recognition and you think it will be at the cost of Peyton's legacy.

This Superbowl has nothing to do with Peyton. It has nothing to do with the Colts. Give Eli credit. Give Brady credit. They are the only two still standing. For Eli, its his second in 5 years. For Brady, its his 5th in 11. Pretty darn impressive.

Funny I just did that for both and you still hit me with that sterotype...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that teams dont win Superbowls. Of course they do. Im just saying that Im not using that cliche to undermine what a quarterback is able to accomplish. When a team goes to the Superbowl, and the quarterback is the leader of that team, it goes on his resume and adds to his legacy. All Im saying is that many of you Colts fans tend to overemphasize the importance of categories and lists that Peyton leads, and you underemphasize ones where he doesnt...all because you're so worried about someone else getting recognition and you think it will be at the cost of Peyton's legacy.

This Superbowl has nothing to do with Peyton. It has nothing to do with the Colts. Give Eli credit. Give Brady credit. They are the only two still standing. For Eli, its his second in 5 years. For Brady, its his 5th in 11. Pretty darn impressive.

I absolutely give them both credit. Brady is a great QB, and Eli is a very good one and surprising a lot of people.

However, when it gets to discussing top 5 to ever play status let alone GOAT things become more complicated. Eli is out of the discussion at this point and that leaves you with the other Manning and Brady. As good as they both are, take their teams away and what do they become? What does their team become? How important/GOOD are they and how much of the work load do they really do? How would they fare on a terrible team? (One has done it for 11+ seasons, the other is conjecture)

But again, the Superbowl has nothing to do with Peyton. Congrats to the Patriots and Giants on the win. Should be a great game.

Funny I just did that for both and you still hit me with that sterotype...

I know and I apologize. Ive been reading a lot on the boards and just responded to your post about team accomplishments vs solo accomplishments and used it to call out the other things I had been reading. I didnt really mean YOU...I generalized and I shouldnt have.

Like I said earlier..homers will be homers as though Peyton always plays stellar in the playoffs and we lose for other reasons.

2002 - lose 41-0 manning 137 yrds passing

2003- lose 24-14 manning picked 4 times

2004 lose 20-3 greatest offense of the season puts up 3 points? I don't care how good the D is you gotta score.

2005 lose 21-18 if you watched the game the Steelers dominated. We needed a bad call on the Palomalu interception and a Bettis fumble from the colts 2 just to have the vandershank chance

2006 - yay

2007 -bolts just too much. Pats would have been way too much for our D anyway.

2008 - same - sproles!

2009 - New Orleans was just better all the way around - nothing to do with resting players

2010 - Maybe Manning makes one more 1st down at the end and we can run out the clock and kick the winner..or would've been nice for the special teams to show up on the last kickoff. Either way Caldwell's TO had little to do with it.

Like I said earlier..homers will be homers as though Peyton always plays stellar in the playoffs and we lose for other reasons.

2004 lose 20-3 greatest offense of the season puts up 3 points? I don't care how good the D is you gotta score.

2005 lose 21-18 if you watched the game the Steelers dominated. We needed a bad call on the Palomalu interception and a Bettis fumble from the colts 2 just to have the vandershank chance

2006 - yay

2008 - same - sproles!

2009 - New Orleans was just better all the way around - nothing to do with resting players

2010 - Maybe Manning makes one more 1st down at the end and we can run out the clock and kick the winner..or would've been nice for the special teams to show up on the last kickoff. Either way Caldwell's TO had little to do with it.

2002-Just putrid all around. Manning sucked, that doesn't mean the D (41) and special teams didn't as well.

2003- Again, Walt Coleman.

2004- Best D of the decade in a BLIZZARD with a passing game based on timing. We may as well have gone in blindfolded while we were at it.

2005- Polamalu's INT (which it was) was a gift. No doubt. Instead of capitalizing on it, as good teams to, we squandered that, a fumble and FG chance.

2006- As you said, YAY!

2007- No..just...no

2008- My eyes...the goggles..they do NOTHING! Punter of the millenium award.

2009 - No Freeney. If we don't rest, we don't play the Jets. Maybe we get pounded by the Chargers for the trifecta. Who knows? What little D we had died when Freeney got hurt. No team, or at least 2/3 of one = no Superbowl. Special teams also did their part...for the other team.

2010- Special teams. Coach.

2011- Worst team in the NFL.

2002-2006 without Peyton - Lucky to be 6-10 with most QB's in the league. 8-8 with some of the elite ones.

2007 onward - Lucky to win 4 games a season, if any. Regardless of who the QB is. Maybe 6ish with Brees. Good luck with that O-line and outstanding run game since they know you need to pass to move the ball. *Cue Tecmo Bowl injury music*

The Colts are just 2 years removed from the SB. They should not be in rebuilding mode already. Especially with the same scheme and essentially the same pieces in place. Yeah, we're spoiled as fans but we expected more. Even with Peyton hurt.

Its your title of the thread.........you say "Peyton Manning fans", as if that includes me in your thinking. It does not. Just like you said just above..."We expected more". Please make your own statements without including others that may not feel the way you do. Thank you.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I try to not include others in my statements, but I make mistakes too. I read my response and realized I should have said "some" when referring to spoiled fans. Peace.

Anyone who says Peyton is not the best of all time, has obviously missed a lot of Colts games. When watching how the Colts offense operates, you really get an appreciation for what good quarterbacking looks like. The reads that he makes before getting the snap is second to none. The way he makes his first and second read as the routes develop is second to none. I won't even say anything about his third read, because as we've seen the last few years, he doesn't have the time to make that read. He has to get rid of the ball in less than 1.5 seconds, so the third read is irrelavent. He has no running game to lean on, at least since the Edge days, and early Addai days. Our defense does not play comlimentary football. By that I mean they are undersized, and the scheme doesn't allow for smash mouth, stop the run, type defense. Teams love to milk that clock and keep Big P on the sideline. Yes, those other elements might show up for a game or two, but the general identity of the Colts has been to sit on the shoulders of Peyton Manning, and hope he can pull out a W.

If Eli wins then we all have to hear about Eli being the "better Manning."

If Brady wins, people will argue he is hands down the best because of the 4 rings.

What a horrible season this truly has been.

The talking heads have already began playing this angle for the last week or so. I heard that (C-word), Linda Kohn, talking on ESPN about how Eli was already better than Peyton because the Giants play outdoors and the Colts play in a dome, yet we heard nothing from them when the Saints won it all in 09', or even this year as Brees shattered Marino's record, all while playing in a dome. The built-in east coast bias of the media will always look to put a negative spin on Peyton because he is the face of midwest, small market football. As a fan of a small market team, you should be used to this by now, and just accept it. Manning would not be regarded as the greatest of all-time (whether it's true or not), regardless of the outcome of this season. I really don't care what ESPN and the like says anymore, because any football fan with at least half a brain knows you can't judge QB play on rings alone. Football, more than any other, is truly a TEAM sport. Neither Brady or Eli looked all that impressive yesterday, but when the dust settles, the media will spin it as 1 of those 2 single-handedly carrying their team to another superbowl bid. It's whatever......

Its your title of the thread.........you say "Peyton Manning fans", as if that includes me in your thinking. It does not. Just like you said just above..."We expected more". Please make your own statements without including others that may not feel the way you do. Thank you.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I try to not include others in my statements, but I make mistakes too. I read my response and realized I should have said "some" when referring to spoiled fans. Peace.

I will quote you as I see fit. Do not tell me how to post.

"we expected more." being Colts fans. I'll include you because I can.

Toodles.

If Eli wins then we all have to hear about Eli being the "better Manning."

If Brady wins, people will argue he is hands down the best because of the 4 rings.

What a horrible season this truly has been.

I have always looked at Eli as being part of the family. He roots us on when the Giants are out so I root him on when we are out.

I would much rather have Eli win a second than Brady win a fourth.

QBs do not win Rings - TEAMS win Rings!

Brady is a good QB and so are Peyton and Eli, but alone they have not and will not ever win a ring.

True.

If quarterbacks won rings all by themself then in my opinion, Marino would have 3 and Montana would only have 1.

Any dipstick knows Peyton is better than Eli, you can't use rings as the measuring stick for everything (as much as Pats fans try to)

IE: Bradshaw has 4 rings, Marino has none, was Bradshaw a better QB, HECK NO!

I think the argument that a QB's greatness is based on his Rings is just absurd. Yes, it is an important factor to consider, but its not everything. Is Brad Johnson who won 1 Superbowl with Tampa Bay a better QB than Marino? I think not.

The ability to win a Superbowl has much more to do with the team overall, than with the QB.

Do people use this argument when talking about running backs, for example? Edgerrin James has zero Superbowl rings; Joseph Addai has 1. Is/was Addai a better RB than James? I think not.

I dont even think Eli feels he's the better Manning...

I like Eli.. He threw something like 25 interceptions last season and he got bold and said he was elite...

But look at the season he's had...and the NYG's topped the so-called No.1 team and the so-called No.1 defense on the road

He's paid the dues to sing the blues....

He's paid the cost to be the boss...

I think the argument that a QB's greatness is based on his Rings is just absurd. Yes, it is an important factor to consider, but its not everything. Is Brad Johnson who won 1 Superbowl with Tampa Bay a better QB than Marino? I think not.

The ability to win a Superbowl has much more to do with the team overall, than with the QB.

Do people use this argument when talking about running backs, for example? Edgerrin James has zero Superbowl rings; Joseph Addai has 1. Is/was Addai a better RB than James? I think not.

Nobody says the rings argument is the sole decider...of course nobody thinks Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are better than Dan Marino. We arent dealing in absolutes...but it DOES matter and it DOES factor in to discussions when comparing the greats. Quarterback legacy grows exponentially when they win championships...

2006 - yay

2008 - same - sproles!

2003 and 2004 - lost to better Pats teams

2005 - underperformed to team that won super bowl, Best colts team, Manning was ok. Affected by layoff and Dungy's son's death. very similar to Pack this year

2007 - Harrison fumbles at 20. Kenton keith ball off hands for int. at 5 yrd. line. D can't stop Rivers or B. volek. Manning threw for 400 yards.

2008 - Declining colts team but the most emblematic game of Mannings last 5 years. Always at a tremendous disadvantage because of field position. In this case due to the single greatest punting display in the history of league. Manning threw for 310 yards.

2010 - not a very good team overall.

In summary. Colts and Manning have had a little bit of bad luck, underperformed a bit, and have been carried by Mannning a lot over recent years.

Nobody says the rings argument is the sole decider...of course nobody thinks Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are better than Dan Marino. We arent dealing in absolutes...but it DOES matter and it DOES factor in to discussions when comparing the greats. Quarterback legacy grows exponentially when they win championships...

With that kind of thinking, do you think Brady is better than Marino? He ain't.

I don't understand why hearing a lot of talk about Brady over the next couple of weeks would bother any of you. And if it does, then I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't simply tune out.

It's a completely pointless fool's errand anyway. You don't get a trophy for being the consensus GOAT. You don't get an "extra large" bust in Canton. There's no coronation ceremony or t-shirt that fans can buy. It's a non-existent, purely subjective, matter-of-opinion title, and it's a question that will never be answered definitively by anyone.

No matter what Brady and/or Manning do, there will always be people who put Joe Montana or Dan Marino at the top of the list. Or the old-timers will put Unitas up there, or the REALLY old-timers will tell you guys like Sammy Baugh would clean house in today's NFL.

So do yourself a favor. Either ignore the hype over the next two weeks, or listen to what I'm saying and realize that it doesn't matter. It's like arguing over who has the best imaginary friend. Manning and Brady have defined quarterbacking in their era, and they will both be in the Hall of Fame. We, as fans, should just enjoy that while it lasts.

I don't understand why hearing a lot of talk about Brady over the next couple of weeks would bother any of you. And if it does, then I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't simply tune out.

It's a completely pointless fool's errand anyway. You don't get a trophy for being the consensus GOAT. You don't get an "extra large" bust in Canton. There's no coronation ceremony or t-shirt that fans can buy. It's a non-existent, purely subjective, matter-of-opinion title, and it's a question that will never be answered definitively by anyone.

No matter what Brady and/or Manning do, there will always be people who put Joe Montana or Dan Marino at the top of the list. Or the old-timers will put Unitas up there, or the REALLY old-timers will tell you guys like Sammy Baugh would clean house in today's NFL.

So do yourself a favor. Either ignore the hype over the next two weeks, or listen to what I'm saying and realize that it doesn't matter. It's like arguing over who has the best imaginary friend. Manning and Brady have defined quarterbacking in their era, and they will both be in the Hall of Fame. We, as fans, should just enjoy that while it lasts.

but but but... :brady: :lombardi: = :puke:

good post btw, but I'm sure you'll forgive the whining were about to do.

but but but... :brady: :lombardi: = :puke:

good post btw, but I'm sure you'll forgive the whining were about to do.

Of course! I remember the Colts-Saints build-up, and a lot of the stories were along the same lines as what you'll see for the next 13 days. And I'm sure a lot of my fellow Pats fans complained about it back then too!

Of course! I remember the Colts-Saints build-up, and a lot of the stories were along the same lines as what you'll see for the next 13 days. And I'm sure a lot of my fellow Pats fans complained about it back then too!

Wouldn't that be amplified if Manning & Colts were dressing in and using the Patriots facilities?

Wouldn't that be amplified if Manning & Colts were dressing in and using the Patriots facilities?

Not for me. Don't know what to tell you. If the Patriots aren't playing at Gillette, it's just a stadium to me. They have soccer games, concerts, etc.

And even if it did bother me... comes with the territory, so too bad for me. You can't want your city to host a Super Bowl (which was pretty much what every Indy fan wanted) and then complain when the participants in that Super Bowl are not who you would like them to be. All I can really say to that is toughen up, buttercup! You got what you wanted, or what you thought you wanted. Next time don't petition to host one.

Peyton Manning SHOULD and I think will, go down as the greatest player to ever play the game. The guy will get AT LEAST one more ring.(whether or not that's with the Colts, Jets, Redskins or any other rumored trade to team)

Look at how poor of a team they are without him. Even the defensive schemes were based on how well they Colts were doing offensively. Freeney and Mathis were COMPLETE non factors this year. Oh, Peyton has always had great weapons on his receiving core? If the receiving core is so great, why couldn't the turn Painter into a monster? That's right, the Colts receiver have always been average at best. Reggie is a great route runner and Harrison had some nice juke techniques, but these guys are no Rice or Moss. heck, they're not even FItzgerald, Mike Wallace, Wes Welker, or Ownes in his prime.

TEAMS win Superbowls. Individual achievements like MVP awards are won by proving you are the most valueable player on your team. Peyton Manning is the ONLY player in history with 4 of those and will probably get two more before he hangs it up.

Peyton only has one ring because he's never had a great defense or a great run game. What two things do you need above all else to win big games in the playoffs? A run game and a defense. The year the Colts decided to take a little pressure off Manning and play defense and have somewhat of a run game, they won the Superbowl.

The media and Patriots fans don't see it this way. You win rings that puts you on top. But when you say things like..."Oh so Big Ben is better than Peyton, Rodgers and Eli and almost as good as Brady because he has two?" they don't know how to react

Same for saying something like like "oh so Aikmen is better than Favre or Unitas because he has three"

Superbowl wins is a bad measurement to the quality of a QB's play

Oh i absolutely agree, which is why I said that it is an important factor to consider. I tend to make the argument that Superbowls are team victories or team losses. I'd venture to guess that Eli Manning may win more Superbowls than his brother because Eli has the potential to be surrounded with a more balanced supporting cast on offense and defense. The issue of balance can also be made for Tom Brady; averagely good offense, great defense.

I feel that the problem with the Peyton Manning era Colts has been a stellar offense with a crappy defense. That works great in the regular season, but has hurt us in the playoffs. The 2 years we went to the Superbowl our defense was much better; not great, but better.

Thats my opinion, take it for what its worth, lol.

Don't you have to define 'better' also? Because Eli has won clutch playoff games on the road where Peyton has not. And Brady has been to 5 super bowls in 10 years. I'm not saying Eli is better or Brady is better but there has to be some agreement as to what measurements you are using when making comparisons. And which ones are actually valid.

Excuse me? Did Peyton not lead the Colts to an on the road playoff win against the Ravens in 2006?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_NFL_playoffs#AFC:_Indianapolis_Colts_15.2C_Baltimore_Ravens_6

Pretty sure that the Colts playing on the road in Baltimore against the Ravens would qualify as a clutch game.

Oh i absolutely agree, which is why I said that it is an important factor to consider. I tend to make the argument that Superbowls are team victories or team losses. I'd venture to guess that Eli Manning may win more Superbowls than his brother because Eli has the potential to be surrounded with a more balanced supporting cast on offense and defense. The issue of balance can also be made for Tom Brady; averagely good offense, great defense.

I feel that the problem with the Peyton Manning era Colts has been a stellar offense with a crappy defense. That works great in the regular season, but has hurt us in the playoffs. The 2 years we went to the Superbowl our defense was much better; not great, but better.

Thats my opinion, take it for what its worth, lol.

I am just buildingoff what you are saying here so don't take this as me disagreeing with you.

That's the thing when you look at the rest of what Eli and Peyton have done Eli doesn't stack up to Peyton. With all due respect to Eli Manning. That's not saying Eli isn't a great QB and shouldn't be getting praise for this season. I said it earlier this year I think Eli Manning was the MVP of this season even with Brees and Brady breaking records and Rodgers leading the Pack attack all season.

However, Peyton has won four League MVPs, Eli hasn't even won one. Eli's career numbers don't stack up to Peyton's and aren't on pace to stack up to Peyton's. Also unless Eli wins in two weeks his Super Bowl record will be the same as his brother's and his teams will have missed the playoffs more times already in his career than Peyton's teams have so if we want to take team accomplishments into this that has to factor into this as well.

I will say this I think Eli is becoming a monster in the fourth quarter. I really think he is calmer than Peyton and while Peyton is clutch in the fourth as well I don't think he's as clutch as his brother. Eli never gets rattled, never. He's very much like Brady in that regard. Which is part of why I think Eli works so well in New York he doesn't let all the the things that come with being the QB in New York bother him. I forget who I heard saying it, it might have been Strahan, but I remember when Eli went on the first Super Bowl run I heard someone doing an interview and was asked how does Eli handle the pressure of playing in New York so well and the guy said "He's Peyton Manning's little brother if he can handle that he can handle a little thing like playing in New York."

Now with Tom Brady it's a little different. Tom has a lot of rings and has numbers that while still not as good as Peyton's for the most part they are in the ballpark. Peyton has four League MVP trophis Brady has two for example. Brady owns several NFL records but not as many as Peyton. So like I said before you can make a very strong case for Tom Brady being better than Peyton Manning. You can also make a strong case for Peyton being better than Tom Brady and it's frankly going to come down to which one you happen to like more.

Do Super Bowl rings enhance a player's legacy? Sure. I think Tim Brown and Cris Carter would have a much easier time getting into the Hall of Fame if they had one. I think Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton or Jim Kelly's names would come up more when we were talking about the greatest QBs of all-time if they won one. I think Elway's name and Johnny U's names would come up less if they hadn't won one. Terry Bradshaw, Steve Young, and Troy Aikman would have been seen as good QBs for their day but forgotten once the next generation came around without them. My main point is that they aren't the end all be all that some Pats fans try to make them out to be at times. Some of them act like they are a tie breaker or because Brady has more it's a trump card on Peyton Manning that tops anything else he's done. I don't see it that way. I think you can factor them into a player's career but they are only a factor and that's largely because they are a team accomplishment not a solo player's.

If the only thing Brady had was his Super Bowl rings it would be like trying to compare Big Ben to Peyton Manning in terms of who is a better QB. MOST people don't even see that as an arguement. With that said it's pretty clear Tom Brady has more than rings which is why there is a real and honest debate there that is just going to come down to which one you like better.

Vinny's foot won that game...

Yes, I see. But, if you watched the game, you'll know that the Ravens D was playing out of their skins, and so the game was won by field goals. My take away from the game (and my point here) that year was that Peyton and the entire team had to find a completely different way to win. Peyton and the offense put Vinny in the position to kick the field goals. Sometimes the QB is the laser rocket arm, sometimes he's the field general. It was a hard, closely fought game, and if that's not clutch for the Colts to win a playoff game in Baltimore, I don't know what is.

Fact is, there are always going to be haters.

Even if Peyton wins two more, they'll just say "Yeah, well, he's the greatest to ever win 3" but say he didn't win 4 like Brady may, and Montanna and Bradshaw DID

if he were to somehow win THREE more they'll just say "Well, these QB's did it first"

if that's not clutch for the Colts to win a playoff game in Baltimore, I don't know what is.

I will agree the Colts had to find a few ways to win games that year, but overall Manning wasn't clutch in that playoff run, the defense stepped up huge...

Vinateri clutch in the Ravens game, not Manning. Manning being clutch in that game = at least one TD...

Excuse me? Did Peyton not lead the Colts to an on the road playoff win against the Ravens in 2006?

http://en.wikipedia....timore_Ravens_6

Pretty sure that the Colts playing on the road in Baltimore against the Ravens would qualify as a clutch game.

Ok that's ONE! Eli won 3 road games in 2007 and beat the top two seeds this year on the road. Those are clutch victories. By the way for those that say we've had no defense:

2005 - #2 in scoring defense

2007 - #1 in scoring defense

2008 - #7 in scoring defense

2009 - #8 in scoring defense

Fact is, there are always going to be haters.

Even if Peyton wins two more, they'll just say "Yeah, well, he's the greatest to ever win 3" but say he didn't win 4 like Brady may, and Montanna and Bradshaw DID

if he were to somehow win THREE more they'll just say "Well, these QB's did it first"

No no no. People arent as anti-Peyton Manning as so many of you have convinced yourselves. If he wins a bunch more titles, then that will add to his legacy and go a long way in helping to justify all you crazy Colts fans' claims that hes the greatest of all time. Stop trying to make it seem like its always poor little Peyton who can never catch a break. You guys have been trying to create this narrative of Peyton Manning's career and you're so threatened when another quarterback does anything good.....i mean...it really just doesnt make any sense. Other quarterbacks can accomplish things in this league, and that doesnt mean its at the expense of Peyton Manning and his precious legacy. History will remember him for what he does on the field...you dont have to try so hard to create this narrative and argument for why hes so great.