Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Scouts talk Ryan Kelly.....

NewColtsFan

Not sure I can recall this kind of taped feature on the Colts.com website since I joined in May of 2012.

This is 4 Colts scouts sitting around and talking about their process and how the evaluated Kelly both on the playing field,  the practice field,  and the interview room.

I think you'll REALLY enjoy this!!      :thmup:

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Colts-Scouts-Reflect-On-Center-Ryan-Kelly/e256af10-f49d-40d8-998f-25a09305c9b0

Thanks for posting the clip. Gotta like smart, intelligent lineman. Hopefully Kelly plays a significant role with Castanzo, Mewhort & the other batch of fresh blood in turning around the perception and ststus of the Colts OL that just hasnt been the same since Glenn called it wuits after the SB run...

24 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Thanks for posting the clip. Gotta like smart, intelligent lineman. Hopefully Kelly plays a significant role with Castanzo, Mewhort & the other batch of fresh blood in turning around the perception and ststus of the Colts OL that just hasnt been the same since Glenn called it wuits after the SB run...

Quoted for truth. Not since Saturday/Glenn/Scott/Diem/lilja have we had this much talent up front. I can't wait til we are trucking defenders in the run game. Trench's are looking markedly improved. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's kind of funny that I got toasted pretty good in this forum earlier about wanting to take a center in the first round. I think it was an excellent move IMO.

Don't feel too bad... I wanted him drafted as well and caught a lot of crap for it.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's kind of funny that I got toasted pretty good in this forum earlier about wanting to take a center in the first round. I think it was an excellent move IMO.

I wanted Kelly as well. It was an excellent pick! I wanted him or Floyd, once Floyd was gone I was hoping we would go O.Line.

His name came up on the radar sort of late(as a serious potential), week or so leading up to the draft but it was a good move. I'm happy with it. Very Big need position and we got the guy that was head and shoulders the best at the position in the draft.

16 hours ago, Gavin said:

Sounds good. I wonder what each one of them consider one area of weakness for him that he will have to improve on....I think blitz pick up at times

You realize in over 500 snaps this year Kelly gave up exactly ZERO sacks.......

Just checking.......

I'm embarrassed to point out that in my original post I noted that it's 4 scouts talking about Kelly.

It's actually 5.     And I've always known it was 5.     But somehow my finger hit the wrong key and I didn't double check my own copy.     My bad!       I hate when I do that.

Somewhat related, I was thinking about what this draft can mean for the future of the Colts OL. If things go reasonably well with these players, including Kelly, this could be the kind of offseason that leads to the Colts having one of the best OLs in the league for several years.

LT -- Castonzo is already above average to excellent (really good 2014, sloppy first half in 2015), and is under contract for four more years. Joe Haeg has a LT skill set, and while I think he could play either guard position or RT if necessary in 2016, he could also just be groomed for a future tackle spot. To me, he's Joe Reitz, basically a Swiss army knife kind of spot starter/reserve. 

LG -- Mewhort is average there, still young, but probably will top out as a good run blocker and functional pass blocker. Lots of depth with the guys who have position flexibility on the roster, and with AC and Ryan Kelly sandwiching this position, it shouldn't be an issue at any point.

C -- I think Kelly is already an upgrade, and has a top 3 center ceiling. Depth with Blythe, who I think is a young AQ Shipley with better awareness. Blythe would also be an upgrade, I think, and he's relegated to a reserve role.

RG -- I don't put my eggs in the Thornton basket anymore, because it seems like something happens with him every year -- injury, benching, whatever. I still think he's as talented as anyone not named AC (or Kelly, I think), and if he gets it together, he'll be a monster. But he's also in the last year of his contract. In a ZBS, Haeg is more than able to handle either guard spot, and RG might be his best spot.

RT -- Clark is supposed to be the RT of the future, IMO. He needs at least a year in the weight room and working on function, technique, hand placement, footwork, balance. He can do a lot of that in practice, and while I don't expect him to be a quick study, I think he should be able to compete for a starting spot in 2017. Haeg for depth.

I think Kelly is a lock to be a good player. If one of the other three hits as a starting caliber guy, the Colts have added to their OL tremendously. Barring injury, of course, but having depth should offset. It will take a couple years to really know anything, but these young guys have a chance to really help the team in the future.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Somewhat related, I was thinking about what this draft can mean for the future of the Colts OL. If things go reasonably well with these players, including Kelly, this could be the kind of offseason that leads to the Colts having one of the best OLs in the league for several years.

LT -- Castonzo is already above average to excellent (really good 2014, sloppy first half in 2015), and is under contract for four more years. Joe Haeg has a LT skill set, and while I think he could play either guard position or RT if necessary in 2016, he could also just be groomed for a future tackle spot. To me, he's Joe Reitz, basically a Swiss army knife kind of spot starter/reserve. 

LG -- Mewhort is average there, still young, but probably will top out as a good run blocker and functional pass blocker. Lots of depth with the guys who have position flexibility on the roster, and with AC and Ryan Kelly sandwiching this position, it shouldn't be an issue at any point.

C -- I think Kelly is already an upgrade, and has a top 3 center ceiling. Depth with Blythe, who I think is a young AQ Shipley with better awareness. Blythe would also be an upgrade, I think, and he's relegated to a reserve role.

RG -- I don't put my eggs in the Thornton basket anymore, because it seems like something happens with him every year -- injury, benching, whatever. I still think he's as talented as anyone not named AC (or Kelly, I think), and if he gets it together, he'll be a monster. But he's also in the last year of his contract. In a ZBS, Haeg is more than able to handle either guard spot, and RG might be his best spot.

RT -- Clark is supposed to be the RT of the future, IMO. He needs at least a year in the weight room and working on function, technique, hand placement, footwork, balance. He can do a lot of that in practice, and while I don't expect him to be a quick study, I think he should be able to compete for a starting spot in 2017. Haeg for depth.

I think Kelly is a lock to be a good player. If one of the other three hits as a starting caliber guy, the Colts have added to their OL tremendously. Barring injury, of course, but having depth should offset. It will take a couple years to really know anything, but these young guys have a chance to really help the team in the future.

Nice post.....     but I would not leave out either Reitz or Good.     At worst,  they're quality depth.    At best,  one could start at RG if/when Thornton moves on.      And one might be the back-up to Clark.

Either way,  I think both have a future with the Colts....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Nice post.....     but I would not leave out either Reitz or Good.     At worst,  they're quality depth.    At best,  one could start at RG if/when Thornton moves on.      And one might be the back-up to Clark.

Either way,  I think both have a future with the Colts....

I did forget Good. He could be in the mix at RG and RT. Good catch.

I didn't forget Reitz, I purposely left him out because he's only under contract through 2017, and I get the feeling he won't be sticking around after that. Especially if one or more of Clark, Haeg or Good is ready to play. I don't dislike Reitz at all, but he'll be 30 years old, he has a history of injuries -- nothing major, but still a factor -- and he's probably topped out as a player. For his sake, I hope he gets a starter's contract from another team, but if half of the Colts young guys pan out, he's probably not in the picture after his contract is up.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:06 PM, crazycolt1 said:

TBH I thought Kelly was a very realistic option for our #1 pick.  However, I didn't know the Colts were that high on him!  Best pick since the 2012 class IN ANY ROUND IMO.  Certainly solidifies the whole left side of the line!  Also, gives us plenty of completion within the right side, and allows for depth from whoever doesn't win the starting job for RG RT.  With Philben taking over helm, and dedication through the draft, I have 100% confidence our OL will protect Luck, and give our run game the boost it needed to be an elite group!

Truly the offense can carry the team now, even neglecting the LB position (because we have sufficient CB's/S) to lockdown opposing WR's!  The front 3/rotational players is solid enough to create sufficient pressure up the middle to contain the opposing offense. 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I do like where we are going with the line.  They can end up being really good when it's all said and done.

Give them 3-4 years, we will have one of the better OL's in the league.. but certainly with drafting the players we did AND hiring Philben, we are ensuring success for years to come@

1 hour ago, ColtStronger said:

Give them 3-4 years, we will have one of the better OL's in the league.. but certainly with drafting the players we did AND hiring Philben, we are ensuring success for years to come@

I don't think it will take that long.  The unit should be solid this year, and I think people will see them as a legit unit by next season.  Not the best in the league, but they won't be saying the Colts linemen are trash anymore I believe by next season..  The left side of the line and the center position I'm pretty confident are fixed.  I still believe Hugh Thornton is a good player, but if for some reason he get's injured or whatever the case I think there's a solid answer for that spot between Good, Clark and Reitz.  If the Staff truly does see Reitz as a swing player then I'm thinking the right side will consist of Thornton and Good as the starters with Reitz and Clark as the backups.  If they desire more for Reitz to start then Good and Clark will be the back ups. We also have Haeg as an option too so we are in pretty good shape than I've ever seen us on the line.

16 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm super excited to see him put in work! 

I don't think our Line has been stellar since Polian started picking it apart after blaming them for the SB loss to the Saints. 

It slowly started sliding after Glenn retired.