Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blythe recruited by Luck

JohnnyP

That is a cool story. Austin Blythe, based on the Iowa Hawkeyes SB Nation blog, is a technician. In all likelihood, he might end up overachieving like Jeff Saturday did and make the roster at least as a backup center, he is built like him:

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2016/4/30/11543226/austin-blythe-offensive-guard-nfl-draft-2016-indianapolis-colts

Well the great thing about our 1st round Center is he can play at multiple positions, so if we need to kick him to Guard and let this Blythe guy assume the Center position, it might not be a bad idea. I'll be excited to see how they handle preseason.

3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I can't wait until pre-season! Watching the O-line take shape will be fun. 

This is a good year to have five preseason games. New coordinators on both sides of the ball, a bunch of new OL pieces... the extra work should be beneficial. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a good year to have five preseason games. New coordinators on both sides of the ball, a bunch of new OL pieces... the extra work should be beneficial. 

great point!  ...we were brutally awful last year out of the gate.  If this OL gels nicely, we can start controlling games on offense and not have Luck have to carry the team on his back all the time.  ...not to mention, keep him off his back at the same time.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyP said:

great point!  ...we were brutally awful last year out of the gate.  If this OL gels nicely, we can start controlling games on offense and not have Luck have to carry the team on his back all the time.  ...not to mention, keep him off his back at the same time.

Yup.

I will point out though that last year, Pep adjusted his gameplans, then threw out all those adjustments when the season started. Hopefully the new OC doesn't figure out what works and then abandon it once the lights go on.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Not trying to jump the gun or anything, but is there a possibility of Kelly starting at guard, and Blythe starting at centre?

It could be the other way around? I think Kelly is the starting center from day one. They have already put his locker next to Lucks if that says anything.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Not trying to jump the gun or anything, but is there a possibility of Kelly starting at guard, and Blythe starting at centre?

I couldnt see that happening. Kelly supposed to be the best center in the draft. hate to see our 1st rounder moved to another position.

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Why would we draft the best center in the draft or a center in the first round period, if we aren't gonna play him at center? Makes no sense. Unless Kelly gets injured he is the center. Blythe will have to play back up center and guard. It's more likely Blythe takes Thornton's place as starting right guard.

2 hours ago, James said:

Why would we draft the best center in the draft or a center in the first round period, if we aren't gonna play him at center? Makes no sense. Unless Kelly gets injured he is the center. Blythe will have to play back up center and guard. It's more likely Blythe takes Thornton's place as starting right guard.

I'm not advocating it. Just wondering. For the record, my ideal line would be AC-JM-RK-HT-LRC

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I usually hate 5 preseason games, but if there were a year to have it, it would be this year.

6 hours ago, Dustin said:

No there isn't. If anything, reitz would move to guard and Clark would start at RT. No way Blythe gets any PT aside from injury this year. 

I seem to recall that there was also no way that Grigson doesn't get fired after the 2015 season :P

20 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

While you can never say never to anything in the NFL I think this is highly unlikely.  

First of all one was a first round pick and one was a seventh.  While that doesn't guarantee anything in terms of on the field performance I don't see them moving the first round pick to a new position to get the seventh round pick on the field right out of the gate.  

Second most likely Colts took Kelly over the pass rusher because they wanted to address the biggest weakness on their oline.  So they took the best Center in the draft.  If they felt like they could have gotten by with someone later in the draft starting at center then they would have passed on Kelly and drafted the pass rusher.  

Most likely Blythe was taken because they weren't happy with Holmes or Harrison and wanted to upgrade the center position across the board.

23 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Well the great thing about our 1st round Center is he can play at multiple positions, so if we need to kick him to Guard and let this Blythe guy assume the Center position, it might not be a bad idea. I'll be excited to see how they handle preseason.

Do you know ablaze this board will be with Grigson hate if a 7th round pick beats out the 18th overall pick in the draft at any point this season?

7 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

Do you know ablaze this board will be with Grigson hate if a 7th round pick beats out the 18th overall pick in the draft at any point this season?

If Blythe wound up starting at C and Kelly at OG, then it would be because Blythe is a better starting C than whoever would have been the starting OG that Kelly beat out.  NOT because Blythe beat out Kelly for the C spot.

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

No there isn't. If anything, reitz would move to guard and Clark would start at RT. No way Blythe gets any PT aside from injury this year. 

I'd say Haeg at G and Reitz at RT is the more likely scenario than Reitz to G and Clark to RT this season.  But I don't see Blythe pushing for any playing time at C and certainly not at G.  All speculation at this point, but I think our opening day line is Castanzo - Mewhort - Kelly - Thornton - Reitz.  I'm not sure how to gauge Haeg and Clark's playing time this year at this point, but I think Haeg, despite his lack of power (a similar knock on Clark), is more ready from a technical standpoint.  We'll see.  

6 hours ago, Jason_S said:

If Blythe wound up starting at C and Kelly at OG, then it would be because Blythe is a better starting C than whoever would have been the starting OG that Kelly beat out.  NOT because Blythe beat out Kelly for the C spot.

There is absolutely no way that anyone other than Kelly starts at Center this year so long as he's healthy.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

You don't want Clark starting this year. 

True. Good point. Honestly I don't care about who starts on the O line. Well I do, but I'm confident we now have the personnel and the coaching staff that will be able to get it all figured out. I trust their judgement.

17 hours ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

There is absolutely no way that anyone other than Kelly starts at Center this year so long as he's healthy.

lol...ok chief.  I personally wouldn't say "absolutely no way" because stranger things have obviously happened.  However, I would agree that it's HIGHLY unlikely.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:46 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Good question. I was actually just thinking the same thing. I think year one Blythe will play primary as the backup center, but down the road he could very well become our starting right guard. I'm also wondering what position Haeg will be playing for us, Clark as well. All of these guys can certainly play multiple positions. I think Clark would be the perfect RT for us, just because of his arm span alone. Training Camp this will year should be fun to watch.