Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Irsay Trying To Break Up With Peyton?

Peyton and Eli fan

I agree both will be in the roster... Although that's a big time mistake..

I really dont see how its a mistake to have both manning and luck on the roster. yeah luck is said to be ready to start his first nfl game next season.but their going by how mature he was in COLLEGE. the nfl is a much faster paced game then college. and the colts offense isnt what stanford ran. stanford relied on their run game to get that pass game going, as with the colts the past few years pretty much had no run game since edge and has relied on the perfect playing by manning. that being said, manning also prob wont be around but for another year or two anyway, when you have a prized QB coming out of college you take him if you have the chance.

but what is funny is how the jets owner has been trying to hide the fact he rather have a different QB by sayin sanchez is their man, but if manning is available we will try to get him....lol now that is funny. but i doubt manning will want to play with such a disfunctional team like the jets. Cards or skins would be a better fit for him. would say san fran but they already have an extension for smith to sign after the season is over for the niners. so their set with smith being their starting QB. Cards or Skins would take manning though. to bad a trade if we picked up his 28 million dollar option would hurt in terms of salary cap.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts can't trade manning. It's either one of four scenarios...

Trade the pick keep manning.

Take luck, cut manning.

Select luck, keep manning.

Draft another player keep manning.

Obviously 4 is foolish, I think 3 is the next worse, then if Peyton is healthy I think you choose 1, if unhealthy 2.

But what if you are Irsay and you have learned 2 things in life. One, if there is a franchise QB in the draft you take him. Irsay has said that. Two, if Manning is healthy he is the best ever so he plays. The only solution to the 2 things he's learned is to have both of them on the team together. This doesn't suit some of you blunt, bottom line people, but Irsay isn't that type of personality. If he deemed it as a huge mistake, he wouldn't do it, but I don't think he views it that way. It's a marriage between reasoning and heart.

Colts can't trade manning. It's either one of four scenarios...

Trade the pick keep manning.

Take luck, cut manning.

Select luck, keep manning.

Draft another player keep manning.

Obviously 4 is foolish, I think 3 is the next worse, then if Peyton is healthy I think you choose 1, if unhealthy 2.

The Colts can trade Peyton, so it is a scenario, but would be a cap causality. I do think if it is done after a certain date, they can spread the cap hit over 2011 and 2012, which wouldn't be as bad. Still probably the worst of the options.

The Colts can trade Peyton, so it is a scenario, but would be a cap causality. I do think if it is done after a certain date, they can spread the cap hit over 2011 and 2012, which wouldn't be as bad. Still probably the worst of the options.

He can't be traded before receiving the option bonus.

· Manning has an option bonus due on March 8th of 28 million dollars, since that option bonus is due towards the end of the 2011 league year it can be counted towards the 2011 salary cap so the bonus is divided over the length of the contract 28/5= 5.6 million each year.

· The NFL 2012 League year starts on March 13th.

If he receives the 28 million option the cap hit of trading him becomes even worse than not picking up the option.

While technically we could trade him doing so would cause us to absorb a 38.4 million of dead cap space, so thus makes trading him all but impossible.

The only way a cap hit is spread over 2 seasons if the player is cut after June 1st.

· Manning has an option bonus due on March 8th of 28 million dollars, since that option bonus is due towards the end of the 2011 league year it can be counted towards the 2011 salary cap so the bonus is divided over the length of the contract 28/5= 5.6 million each year.

If he receives the 28 million option the cap hit of trading him becomes even worse than not picking up the option.

While technically we could trade him doing so would cause us to absorb a 38.4 million of dead cap space, so thus makes trading him all but impossible.

The only way a cap hit is spread over 2 seasons if the player is cut after June 1st.

It is possible, was all I was saying. I wish I could find the article I read about cap hit and trades/cuts....

It is possible, was all I was saying. I wish I could find the article I read about cap hit and trades/cuts....

Before the bonus due date? No it's not possible.

Possible yes after the bonus is due., but yet it would be the dumbest thing we could do. I don't need an article on cap hits.. I know what they would be in various scenarios.

I find it extremely interesting that our new GM has the stage presence of an elementary school gym teacher(my apologies in advance to all ESGTs). Perhaps we all were spoiled by the smooth talking confidence of Bill Polian, but Ryan Grigson is as close to an embarrassment as I have ever heard. This whole deal smacks of Irsay's cheap date-save the money for the Prom King. My first hope and suggestion is that Jim will send Ryan back to sixth grade English class for a few lessons in the use of correct grammar and then remind him gently that he is speaking to adults, not fan-frenzy nitwits.

My vote is for Peyton Manning Owner, Peyton Manning, GM, and Peyton Manning, Player-Coach...Class act all the way!!! Too much to ask????

I am now attempting to hack this website just so I can hit a negative rep button.

Possible yes, but yet it would be the dumbest thing we could do. I don't need an article on cap hits.. I know what they would be in various scenarios.

I read an article on ESPN discussing the deadline for splitting cap years, and I swear it said it was the same for cutting, waiving, and trading. They could of miswrote, or I could have misremembered.

I read an article on ESPN discussing the deadline for splitting cap years, and I swear it said it was the same for cutting, waiving, and trading. They could of miswrote, or I could have misremembered.

Cutting and waiving are the same thing, but I've never seen that happen with a trade.

If a player is cut in before June 1st, all of the unamortized bonus dollars accelrate into the current cap year.

If a player is cut after June 1st, then those dollars are split 50% in the current cap year and 50% in the following cap year.

I have been trying to give Irsay the benefit of the doubt, but everyday that passes, that's getting harder to do. I really don't see any way of Peyton Manning being a part of the plan...........you don't draft a QB #1 overall, to sit on the bench.......that makes no sense..........Peyton has 4 years left on his contract................do the math

Dozens of No,.1 QB have been drafted to sit....

there's no rules about that

Luck's got to agree to it, though..

Irsay says he has a plan..

He was asked in his presser if he's spoken to Peyton and he said that Peyton called him but he hadn't called back yet at that point.

No - he said (1) he called Peyton, (2)Peyton called him back, then some version indicating that (3) Ryan didn't try again. Ryan was very clear on 1 and 2, and very vague on #3 - IIRC he kinda shrugged at that point like "I got a checkmark on my list to "call Peyton".

I find it extremely interesting that our new GM has the stage presence of an elementary school gym teacher(my apologies in advance to all ESGTs). Perhaps we all were spoiled by the smooth talking confidence of Bill Polian, but Ryan Grigson is as close to an embarrassment as I have ever heard. This whole deal smacks of Irsay's cheap date-save the money for the Prom King. My first hope and suggestion is that Jim will send Ryan back to sixth grade English class for a few lessons in the use of correct grammar and then remind him gently that he is speaking to adults, not fan-frenzy nitwits.

My vote is for Peyton Manning Owner, Peyton Manning, GM, and Peyton Manning, Player-Coach...Class act all the way!!! Too much to ask????

Embarrassment, really! Wake up knuckle head. Maybe Emily Post wasn't available. If the best you can do is try to trash a young guy who may not speak like a Harvard professor or dress like a television evangelist, then you really need to find something else to do with your time. He is a football guy brought in here to help turn the talent level on this team around. Is he as polished as you wan't him to be?maybe not , but who really cares. My greater concern is with his football structure,not his grammatical structure. Good luck Ryan and go COLTS. (WOW UNREAL DORTHY)

Wowwww grison is avoiding Manning... I can understand the premis of the OP, cause I felt like irsay was trying to make Peyton mad so he would want out, sparing him from doing the deed..

I don't think Grigson is avoiding Manning... that comes from the press conference on Caldwell's firing the other day. Basically, Grigson was asked about Manning for the umpteenth time in the 6 days that Grigson had been in Indy. Grigson basically said that he and Irsay had been working around the clock on the coaching staff and meetings and such, and that Peyton had called Grigson but he was busy and missed the call. It is understandable-- people are reading waaaay too far into that IMO. Grigson fired about 10 coaches in a 3-5 day span. Give the guy time!

Embarrassment, really! Wake up knuckle head. Maybe Emily Post wasn't available. If the best you can do is try to trash a young guy who may not speak like a Harvard professor or dress like a television evangelist, then you really need to find something else to do with your time. He is a football guy brought in here to help turn the talent level on this team around. Is he as polished as you wan't him to be?maybe not , but who really cares. My greater concern is with his football structure,not his grammatical structure. Good luck Ryan and go COLTS. (WOW UNREAL DORTHY)

For real. To be honest, I prefer Grigson's approach to questions and info over Polian. Polian used to talk 3 or 4 words at a time..... then hesitate.... to make sure he wasn't giving too much away. Remember the video of him when he discussed that workout tape of Manning throwing after practice? He was like "We broke NO rules..... and there is a TAPE if ANYbody from the league office would like to see it. They have NOT asked for it YET, but they are welcome to it" or something along those lines. Meanwhile, Grigson is basically meat and potatoes look-you-in-the-eye. I like and respect that, and I'm sure Irsay does as well.

"Dorothy Hoffman" -- sounds like my 9th grade English teacher. Is that you in there, Polian?!

Absolutely agreed! I thought Ryan did quite fine. If he were overly polished, THEN I'd worry.

Ok, so apparently this is serious.

The answer is No, he isn't trying to "break up" with anyone.

First off, they aren't dating.

Second off, they're adults, not teenagers.

Finally, just no.

Oh.......and...............................................no again.

Double you, tee, ehf. :ignore:

It appears to me that on most occasions when addressing Peyton, Irsay always has said that if Peyton is healthy, he will be in a Colts uniform next year. He has stated this quite publicly. I would rather move forward with that than with the speculation that surrounds this situation.

Yeah me to. The speculation is getting more sensational and silly by the day. Maybe we should rehire Polian as media consultant because it seems they deserve the treatment.

I wish we would call in to let people like Colin Cowherd and Mike Greenburg what's up.

Pretty awesome first post...

dn is it you???

Manning was just throwing in pads last month to Joe A and gonzo in a closed practice and they said they were excited. An 85% Manning is and always will be better than most Qbs in the nfl and every draft pick coming into the league regardless of draft position.

We learned the hard way this year that you need 2 good/great Qbs on every team to compete. Well after the draft we will. Manning and Luck, or Manning and RG3. Drafting luck and trading him to browns for RG3 and draft picks could be golden down the road. RG3 is a bright and talented athlete. He has a lot of the vick qualities people like only younger and he also has no problem sitting and learning behind Manning.

Manning wants to play and wants to play for the colts. Pay him and play him and sit the rookie. Everyone wins! Mr Irsay, you will be a hero to colts fans everywhere, Manning will win the south and lead us back to the playoffs and we will have our Qb of the future on the roster in case Manning should get injured. Last time I saw Manning he was driving for the win and was 1 dropped pass by Blair W from running the clock out against the jets. We need 2 Qbs. Not any Qbs, good Qbs. That starts with Manning and adding Luck and then seeing how the draft unfolds.

I hope everyone knows better that releasing or trading Manning to anyone in the afc(jets or anyone in the south) is a horrible idea. He will beat us down and make us pay as long as he can play. Don't do it ! Don't even think about it! Manning wants to make up for last year and show everyone that he is still the best. The draft, udfa's and free agents will fill our needs drafting in our position. Someone I respect said some time ago that he would never let Manning leave and he would play out his days from day 1 until he retires a colt.

The guy can still play at a high level and has earned the right to finish here. Luck or RG3 will learn and be ready when their number is called. This can and should be done.

I really dont see how its a mistake to have both manning and luck on the roster. yeah luck is said to be ready to start his first nfl game next season.but their going by how mature he was in COLLEGE. the nfl is a much faster paced game then college. and the colts offense isnt what stanford ran. stanford relied on their run game to get that pass game going, as with the colts the past few years pretty much had no run game since edge and has relied on the perfect playing by manning. that being said, manning also prob wont be around but for another year or two anyway, when you have a prized QB coming out of college you take him if you have the chance.

but what is funny is how the jets owner has been trying to hide the fact he rather have a different QB by sayin sanchez is their man, but if manning is available we will try to get him....lol now that is funny. but i doubt manning will want to play with such a disfunctional team like the jets. Cards or skins would be a better fit for him. would say san fran but they already have an extension for smith to sign after the season is over for the niners. so their set with smith being their starting QB. Cards or Skins would take manning though. to bad a trade if we picked up his 28 million dollar option would hurt in terms of salary cap.

I cannot see Cards or Skins.... I see 49ers, Jets, Ravens, Cowboys.... most are win now talent teams. Peyton is going to want SB's not just look to play football..

I cannot see Cards or Skins.... I see 49ers, Jets, Ravens, Cowboys.... most are win now talent teams. Peyton is going to want SB's not just look to play football..

Washington, Dallas & Philly should be removed. He won't go to an NFC east team and face Eli twice a year. I would see him wanting to stay in the AFC as well so they wouldn't be knocking each other of the playoffs.

People are reading WAAAAY too much into this.

Irsay hired a new GM and told him to deal with the coaches and the salary cap. He left those decisions entirely up to that GM.

He also told that GM that Peyton Manning was a subject to be dealt with between Irsay and Manning alone.

Right now, Manning's working on being ready for the off-season, while Irsay is writing checks and preparing to host a Super Bowl.

Irsay isn't firing these coaches. Grigson is.

If Manning will throw a fit because of what Irsay has done with the front office, well then it is probably best this team moves on. I don't think this is a way to push Manning out the door, it's what needed to be done and is necessary for transitioning into to the post Manning era and even being more successful if he stays. I still believe it all has to do with his health. If Manning is 100% and there is no health concerns I think Irsay will do what he can to keep him. I wouldn't be surprised if the team wants to renegotiate his contract though. Also people have to think, does Manning want to risk playing after 3 neck surgeries? He has twins and a future to protect, also last time I checked he isn't even close to being broke. Manning has a career after playing, whether it be broadcasting, coaching, heck maybe even acting. Either way I wish the best for both parties and I hope they do what needs to be done for the best interest in both of them. If Irsay feels it's time to move on and the risk isn't worth the reward with Manning, I will fully support the next QB. If Manning plays for another team I wish him the best of luck, but I hope it doesn't happen. Also depending on the team I might not be rooting for him,.

Peyton will stay. The only question will be whether to draft Luck, or trade Luck for picks + RGIII. That's a tough decision, as both will be equally good (imho) in the NFL, but one nets you some picks, while the other may require less development.

Leaf and Manning were going top 2, no matter what, so you pass on, you still get the other.

Peyton will stay. The only question will be whether to draft Luck, or trade Luck for picks + RGIII. That's a tough decision, as both will be equally good (imho) in the NFL, but one nets you some picks, while the other may require less development.

Leaf and Manning were going top 2, no matter what, so you pass on, you still get the other.

I'm with you 100% on Manning not going anywhere (unless he retires) if healthy.

Recently though, I'm having doubts that we'd be able to trade the pick and still get RG3 unless we trade into the two spot. But St Louis has no real need for Luck since they have Bradford who they just drafted so I doubt they'd give up much to move up a spot

I have a feeling that Luck and RG3 will be going 1 and 2 and trading down for us would mean passing on both of them.

Now, there is certainly a legitimate argument for that, I'm just not thinking it's the direction Irsay intends to go.

I don't want Peyton to leave, and I don't want him playing either, for his own health. I want him to stay with the Colts as a coach or something, just please don't play til you die on the field like Favre. Let Luck have his shot in the aftermath of the retirement.

Bears-Vikings-Football-JPEG-3.jpg

However, we BETTER NOT draft RG3. A quarterback just like him won a Heisman, just like him. Troy Smith. He went to the NFL and had what NFL career?

Exactly.

I have been trying to give Irsay the benefit of the doubt, but everyday that passes, that's getting harder to do. I really don't see any way of Peyton Manning being a part of the plan...........you don't draft a QB #1 overall, to sit on the bench.......that makes no sense..........Peyton has 4 years left on his contract................do the math

NO, Peyton does not have 4 years left on his contract, He will if the bonus is picked up which then kicks in the remaining years but if not picked up he is a free agent.

Unless there is a renegotiation, which if a trade were to occur, is the most likely scenario.

That can't happen prior to the option bonus due date.

If the option bonus is paid, a renegotiation would not do anything to alter the cap hit we would incur if we traded Manning.

A complete contract restructure between player and team can happen at any time if agreed to by both parties. On his current contract it would be extremely difficult to trade him, unless they negotiated a new contract.