Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos Go For A QB

King Colt

I say start Kaep until he fails, which shouldn't be soon if he can still run the ball. Then if he does well enough they can use the Bill Belichik backup quarterback trade formula down the line. I don't know how much longer Kaep can run for 200 yards on defenses though. I wonder if he got smacked 1 good time like Ponder did against Green Bay. If you remember back Ponder also carved up Green Bay but they got that 1 good hit on him and he was never the same afterwards. 

8 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I say start Kaep until he fails, which shouldn't be soon if he can still run the ball. Then if he does well enough they can use the Bill Belichik backup quarterback trade formula down the line. I don't know how much longer Kaep can run for 200 yards on defenses though. I wonder if he got smacked 1 good time like Ponder did against Green Bay. If you remember back Ponder also carved up Green Bay but they got that 1 good hit on him and he was never the same afterwards. 

Unfortunately for Denver,  kaepernick plays for the 49ers.    So .......

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

Paxton Lynch got a ticket to Denver he should do well under the guidance of  Elway and Kubiack.

I agree, but know it will take time.  I pretty sure I heard Jim Miller (an ex Bears QB) had asked him to call a play (already charted out) using West Coast offense language (which JM is very familiar with), and Lynch could not do it.  Not only is Lynch raw and in need of some development physically, he needs to not only learn the play book, but the whole West Coast offense language in order to understand and call plays.  Even easier ones like-

Brown Right F Short 2 Jet Flanker Drive X comeback

So I expect Lynch will run reps with the #2's, or the scout team if the Broncos get yet another QB. Elway and Kubiak learned offense from Mike Shannahan; West Coast.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think Lynch will be a good NFL QB. 

After a couple of years, I see a Joe Flacco ceiling but not the instant Joe Flacco like success. Joe Flacco was drafted around the similar high 1st round as well.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree, but know it will take time.  I pretty sure I heard Jim Miller (an ex Bears QB) had asked him to call a play (already charted out) using West Coast offense language (which JM is very familiar with), and Lynch could not do it.  Not only is Lynch raw and in need of some development physically, he needs to not only learn the play book, but the whole West Coast offense language in order to understand and call plays.  Even easier ones like-

Brown Right F Short 2 Jet Flanker Drive X comeback

So I expect Lynch will run reps with the #2's, or the scout team if the Broncos get yet another QB. Elway and Kubiak learned offense from Mike Shannahan; West Coast.

Most college qbs have to learn the verbiage.    Nothing unusual about that

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Most college qbs have to learn the verbiage.    Nothing unusual about that

Most QB's already have a fairly decent grasp of play calling language, but Jim Miller made a special point on this one, like he was much further behind in that area than any of the others that have come out in prior years.

Just another area where the spread is under preparing QB's for the Professional level. Many of those guys have never called a play, or used a snap count; let alone read a defense.  They are in pistol or shotgun, and develop lazy feet.  Then accuracy goes out the window.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Most QB's already have a fairly decent grasp of play calling language, but Jim Miller made a special point on this one, like he was much further behind in that area than any of the others that have come out in prior years.

Just another area where the spread is under preparing QB's for the Professional level. Many of those guys have never called a play, or used a snap count; let alone read a defense.  They are in pistol or shotgun, and develop lazy feet.  Then accuracy goes out the window.

Exactly. Paxton has never called a play in huddle...took a snap under center...taken a 5 step drop or 7 step drop....a lot of work to do. As many play actions and boots that Denver runs where you turn your back to the defense etc there wil be a big adjustment for the kid. He is at least a year away...maybe two from seeing the field.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If he has never played in a west coast system how would he know the verbage?   Mariota had pictures of mickey mouse and Donald trumps wig to tell him what the play was.      If the kid is smart,   it won't be an issue

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

If he has never played in a west coast system how would he know the verbage?   Mariota had pictures of mickey mouse and Donald trumps wig to tell him what the play was.      If the kid is smart,   it won't be an issue

He couldn't call the play... at all... In any verbiage!!

They one and two word plays at Memphis, according to Jim Miller.  He and Pat Kirwin just railed on Paxton Lynch for this again, on their Moving the Chains  radio show just now.  They suggested if Lynch is playing from game 1, they should go to Memphis and say, give me Lynch's 10 best plays...  and start from there.

It's a long road for him.  First get base offense, the the packages (4 minute O, 2 minute drill, 3rd down packages, short yard and goal line packages, etc...) Then add more to the base offense.  He's not only to learn the play cal lingo, he must visualize it in his head like a blueprints as he calls it.  He has to 'see it' , and that will take time for sure.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He couldn't call the play... at all... In any verbiage!!

They one and two word plays at Memphis, according to Jim Miller.  He and Pat Kirwin just railed on Paxton Lynch for this again, on their Moving the Chains  radio show just now.  They suggested if Lynch is playing from game 1, they should go to Memphis and say, give me Lynch's 10 best plays...  and start from there.

It's a long road for him.  First get base offense, the the packages (4 minute O, 2 minute drill, 3rd down packages, short yard and goal line packages, etc...) Then add more to the base offense.  He's not only to learn the play cal lingo, he must visualize it in his head like a blueprints as he calls it.  He has to 'see it' , and that will take time for sure.

Mariota had a pretty good rookie year and the coaches called all the plays from the sideline via cartoon characters 

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think it's a reach but it may have been necessary.

Denver certainly paid a heavy price in future seasons for that SB win.  

And 31 other teams would pay the same exact price.

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Lynch could beat out Sanchez in training camp.     They drafted him in the first round for a reason

All the scouts are saying that Lynch is way too raw to be the starter right now. They've said it for a while now. But yeah I suppose anything could happen in training camp. 

Broncos had a good draft, IMO. McGovern for OG, DeVontae Booker for RB, and Justin Simmons for FS were all good picks. 

As always, the focus is on the QB position and the productivity they get out of it. Mark Sanchez, like Jake Plummer, a change of scenery from his old team, might get more out of him if he is not asked to do too much. Only time will tell.

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Because sanchez is so good?

Nope, because Lynch is so raw... and not ready. He will need time, reps, learning, and grooming. The OTA's and training camp won't be enough. Sanchez is ahead of him in most every category right now.