Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm hearing the Indianapolis Colts are considering Kamalei Correa in Round 1 - Walter Football

If Leonard Floyd is unavailable, and they feel Noah Spence is to much of a risk, I'm hearing the Indianapolis Colts are considering Kamalei Correa in Round 1. Another scenario for Correa has the New Orleans Saints trading down in the first round then selecting the Boise State junior. Last year, there was speculation the Saints were trying to trade up for Vic Beasley, a similar type of player. 

http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

in the 1st?! yikes, isn't he projected as a mid round pick?  Last I saw was 3/4 round

No,  he's been a 2nd round projection most of this off-season.

Some have had him late in the 1st.     But I haven't seen anyone project him to 18.

Worst I've seen him is high in the 3rd,  but I think that's the exception to the rule.    This is a terrible year for EDGE rushers,  so they're going to go a bit higher than many expect.....

There's part of me that wonders if this is a smoke screen......?

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No,  he's been a 2nd round projection most of this off-season.

Some have had him late in the 1st.     But I haven't seen anyone project him to 18.

Worst I've seen him is high in the 3rd,  but I think that's the exception to the rule.    This is a terrible year for EDGE rushers,  so they're going to go a bit higher than many expect.....

There's part of me that wonders if this is a smoke screen......?

uh no......

Directly from his scouting prospect page: Granted it does say he could go earlier but is projected to day 3 of the draft, but either way, hes much to big of a project for a 1st rounder, which means yeah Grigs will probably pick him :censored:

STRENGTHS

Well­-built and twitched up. Has see ball, get ball traits to work with. Rarely fooled by back­side bootlegs or reverses. Unleashed his impressive long speed and pursuit motor to run down a Utah State running back 51 yards down the field. Tackle finisher when he launches into target. Logged 19 sacks and five forced fumbles over last two seasons. As pass rusher, has explosion potential to create some edge panic with NFL coaching. Has second gear to chase from sideline to sideline.

WEAKNESSES

Seems to be more focused on getting out of the blocks quickly rather than gaining ground upfield as a rusher. Hand usage is inconsistent and unrefined. Doesn't use hands as weapons of victory often enough at the top of his rush. As NFL edge player, will have to play with more jolt and power in his punch. Play strength is just average. Lacks feel for down­ blocks and cracks and can be pinned down too easily. Will come flying to the ball at full ­speed and overrun the tackle.

SOURCES TELL US

"I wanted to see more this year. It's frustrating watching him because you can see the potential, but he just doesn't unlock it as much as he should. Against that schedule he should have been more productive." -- NFC North scout

NFL COMPARISON

Frank Zombo

BOTTOM LINE

Correa will likely transition into a full-time 3­-4 outside linebacker as a pro. While he doesn't have as much play strength as expected and is still raw as a pass rusher, NFL teams will be attracted by his quick-twitch athleticism and moldable traits as a pass rusher. The tape says Day 3 of the draft, but the upside could get him called earlier. He might require patience as there is still work to be done for Correa.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

BOTTOM LINE

Correa will likely transition into a full-time 3­-4 outside linebacker as a pro. While he doesn't have as much play strength as expected and is still raw as a pass rusher, NFL teams will be attracted by his quick-twitch athleticism and moldable traits as a pass rusher. The tape says Day 3 of the draft, but the upside could get him called earlier. He might require patience as there is still work to be done for Correa.

Re-read your own post.

THE TAPE SAYS......  

That does not mean that's his grade.      So, the same guy who wrote the bio,  Lance Zierlein,  has him ranked as the 58th best player.     That puts him in the 2nd round.     Same place where ESPN has him.     Same place where CBS has him.     In fact,  Gil Brandt has him at 30th on his top-100.      That's 1st round.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Re-read your own post.

THE TAPE SAYS......  

That does not mean that's his grade.      So, the same guy who wrote the bio,  Lance Zierlein,  has him ranked as the 58th best player.     That puts him in the 2nd round.     Same place where ESPN has him.     Same place where CBS has him.     In fact,  Gil Brandt has him at 30th on his top-100.      That's 1st round.

Maybe I'm confused, but if the tape says hes a day 3 pick, then why the 2nd round grades as you mention

Just now, csmopar said:

Maybe I'm confused, but if the tape says hes a day 3 pick, then why the 2nd round grades as you mention

Because he has certain size and physical traits that a GM/Coaching Staff will think they can turn into a player.

I know it's not ideal......

Remember in this world,  scouts like to think they can see what a player can be.     That's why so many misses.

A GM thinks his coaching staff can turn player X into a better player and draft him perhaps higher than one might expect.      This is a terrible year for EDGE players.    Maybe he's too much of a projection,  what he might be instead of what he is....

Hey,  in this world,  it's easy to be confused!   

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because he has certain size and physical traits that a GM/Coaching Staff will think they can turn into a player.

I know it's not ideal......

Remember in this world,  scouts like to think they can see what a player can be.     That's why so many misses.

A GM thinks his coaching staff can turn player X into a better player and draft him perhaps higher than one might expect.      This is a terrible year for EDGE players.    Maybe he's too much of a projection,  what he might be instead of what he is....

Hey,  in this world,  it's easy to be confused!   

Sounds like a grigson pick lol.   Lets hope Pags has some say in this....

I can't buy this at all. If Grigson selected another project like this in the first round then he would bet his entire career on the pick.

Even if this was a leak, we have to remember that it's lying session. Don't believe anything coming from front offices a few weeks before the draft.

I doubt this is true. They didn't show that much interest in him at his pro day. Pagano was there to see and workout Darian Thompson.

Correa isn't anything special on tape. Besides having the measurables, I don't see any reason he would get drafted as high as 18. I think Calhoun is better than him and he's being projected as a 2nd round pick.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Pauline was one of the least accurate reporters last year, but his 3 year average puts him at roughly 40% accurate. So hopefully this is on the wrongful reporting side. 

I just can't help but think back to last year when the Colts were reportedly in love with Damarious Randall. 

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Pauline was one of the least accurate reporters last year, but his 3 year average puts him at roughly 40% accurate. So hopefully this is on the wrongful reporting side. 

I don't know what the average is but being 40% correct on rumors seems really good?

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just can't help but think back to last year when the Colts were reportedly in love with Damarious Randall. 

I was just about to say the same thing.  I like Correa better than you do, but I think 18 would be a reach for him.

I'm not a huge fan of Correa, but I am happy we're thinking OLB.  Interesting how that report is written, though.  Says we're considering Correa, assumes we'd prefer Floyd, and sits on the fence as to whether we would take Spence or not.  Walter sure seems to think that we're going OLB, though.

I thought this was interesting on Mackenzie Alexander:

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Clemson_logo.gif

Clemson_logo.gif Mackensie Alexander and Shaq Lawson, Clemson
I'm not hearing good things about Mackensie Alexander outside the lines.

Despite his on-the-field talent, numerous sources have told me the junior cornerback is a very difficult person to deal with off the field. He was difficult at Clemson, and some of his coaches are giving Alexander less than rave reviews to NFL teams - and I'm being kind. This is something originally brought to my attention during Clemson's pro day on March 10, and something I took with a grain of salt. But since last Friday, I've spoken with multiple sources, and it seems Alexander's off-the-field personality has been spoken about at length in war rooms around the league. In my opinion, the junior cornerback has the best ball skills of any defensive back in the draft, but if he starts to drop deep into Round 1, or even out of the first frame altogether, it'll be due to his off-the-field persona.

The situation could not be any different for Shaq Lawson. I'm told the guy is a warrior; not only on game day, but on the practice field, and his motor is always on. He's someone teammates are drawn to, and the feeling is Lawson will be a major asset on game day, on the practice field and in the locker room.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#1htwMxeov3ZFUhu5.99

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I can't buy this at all. If Grigson selected another project like this in the first round then he would bet his entire career on the pick.

Even if this was a leak, we have to remember that it's lying session. Don't believe anything coming from front offices a few weeks before the draft.

I agree. No way he's going in the 1st.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

"but the upside could get him called earlier."

This pretty well answers your question

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I doubt this is true. They didn't show that much interest in him at his pro day. Pagano was there to see and workout Darian Thompson.

Correa isn't anything special on tape. Besides having the measurables, I don't see any reason he would get drafted as high as 18. I think Calhoun is better than him and he's being projected as a 2nd round pick.

1 thing is quite apparent on tape though and that's his quick acceleration off the snap and agility. That's why he is getting the buzz he is

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah totally seems like a Grigson move get a pick this high and use it on a late 1st or 2nd round project * 

All draft picks are projects in one way or the other. NONE have ever came in finished projects

I still think second round is more Correas place. I will say that Correa is versatile though.  You see him on tape playing in coverage doing some of the same stuff you see with Floyd and he is quick and agile.  Setting an edge is something I've seen him do also.  I think he certainly needs to work on is pass rush moves because he doesn't have many.

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought this was interesting on Mackenzie Alexander:

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Clemson_logo.gif

Clemson_logo.gif Mackensie Alexander and Shaq Lawson, Clemson
I'm not hearing good things about Mackensie Alexander outside the lines.

Despite his on-the-field talent, numerous sources have told me the junior cornerback is a very difficult person to deal with off the field. He was difficult at Clemson, and some of his coaches are giving Alexander less than rave reviews to NFL teams - and I'm being kind. This is something originally brought to my attention during Clemson's pro day on March 10, and something I took with a grain of salt. But since last Friday, I've spoken with multiple sources, and it seems Alexander's off-the-field personality has been spoken about at length in war rooms around the league. In my opinion, the junior cornerback has the best ball skills of any defensive back in the draft, but if he starts to drop deep into Round 1, or even out of the first frame altogether, it'll be due to his off-the-field persona.

The situation could not be any different for Shaq Lawson. I'm told the guy is a warrior; not only on game day, but on the practice field, and his motor is always on. He's someone teammates are drawn to, and the feeling is Lawson will be a major asset on game day, on the practice field and in the locker room.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#1htwMxeov3ZFUhu5.99

Krunk,

It makes sense, because he has dropped on every board throughout this off-season. It is something I have noticed for a few months now. When this happens; it is rarely the fault of everyone over-valuing the player early in the process, but mostly due to an issue that was brought up during the process. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Krunk,

It makes sense, because he has dropped on every board throughout this off-season. It is something I have noticed for a few months now. When this happens; it is rarely the fault of everyone over-valuing the player early in the process, but mostly due to an issue that was brought up during the process. 

I don't believe I heard of any off the field incidents with him at Clemson, but maybe it was an issue of him just not getting caught up while being problematic.  He does show a little arrogance in his personality I'll say that but I didn't think it would be a problem. Obviously there may be more to the story.  How big I don't know.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't believe I heard of any off the field incidents with him at Clemson, but maybe it was an issue of him just not getting caught up while being problematic.  He does show a little arrogance in his personality I'll say that but I didn't think it would be a problem. Obviously there may be more to the story.  How big I don't know.

His combine press conference was interesting. He probably had the most outgoing personalty of all the draft invites. 

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Krunk,

In his defense, people brought up some similar type of accusations about Marcus Peters last year and all he did was ball and go to the Pro Bowl so...... I feel the Colts certainly passed on him due to that stuff in their evaluations. Ultimately if I remember right the Chiefs ended up taking him before our pick any way.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

His combine press conference was interesting. He probably had the most outgoing personalty of all the draft invites. 

I really enjoyed his press conference.  I came away thinking "Blue Traits"!

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Dude if we land Shaq Lawson I will literally do a back-flip over my couch. He is my favorite player in this entire draft class. 

I would would be Very Ecstatic if we pulled in Shaq!  Say what you want about 4-3, 3-4 blah blah blah.  Shaq is a darn good football player and we have plenty of room for those buddy.  We'll find a way to turn him loose!