Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Lb Coach Retires, Qb Coach Fired

MTC

At this point wouldn't it be easier to just say who is staying...

I am wondering if Clyde Christensen has made it threw because I think it would be odd if we fired the assistants first before him. With that said, there were reports Caldwell told his staff to go on vacation before he was let go because he thought they were safe and if that was the case maybe the Colts haven't gotten to talk to Christensen or if they just haven't made up their mind on him as well.

I think it is now clear, if you were a Colts coach, you are through. There never was any intention to "move forward" with some of staff. If Clyde is let go, I am going to interpret that as Irsay knows Manning will not be healthy and he will be released.

It's sure looking that way. Peyton isn't going to know anybody if he comes back.

Clyde is the last domino to fall before we know manning is done with colts. Only connection on staff left with him.

I do not think that is necessarily true. Grigson and Irsay are simply evaluating each person case by case and deciding if they fit their new vision of Colts football going forward. I think Manning will be handled quite a bit differently. If he is healthy he will be the Colts starting QB next year. Wait and see.

I do not think that is necessarily true. Grigson and Irsay are simply evaluating each person case by case and deciding if they fit their new vision of Colts football going forward. I think Manning will be handled quite a bit differently. If he is healthy he will be the Colts starting QB next year. Wait and see.

Im just thinking that if it's a completely different staff, Peyton does not want to start all over with new staff

With Mike Murphy gone, the last vestiges of the Dungy/Coyer hybrid zone defense are gone. Not to say that we won't play our fair share of shell coverage, but the "ization that we were using the past two years will more than like be gone. And that's good. I think Murphy did a good job with the linebackers, but he was too infected to remain, apparently.

Too bad we couldn't snag Spag (get it?), but I'm sure we'll be a better defense next season than we were this season.

I think it is now clear, if you were a Colts coach, you are through. There never was any intention to "move forward" with some of staff. If Clyde is let go, I am going to interpret that as Irsay knows Manning will not be healthy and he will be released.

I am not sure one can make that leap. This is a major overhaul going on with everything. If we do make a change at the OC I don't know if you can say it means Peyton is gone. It could just mean the Colts aren't comfortable going forward with him as the OC. I am sure the Colts don't think Peyton Manning couldn't handle learning a new system if that's the direction they go in.

"The only coaches still remaining on staff from the 2-14 team are offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen, his assistant Jim Bob Cooter, assistant strength and conditioning coach Richard Howell, assistant offensive line coach Ron Prince, tight ends coach Ricky Thomas and running backs coach David Walker."

per Indy Star

aww yes how could I forget Jim Bob Cooter! He needs to stay due to his name alone.

Im just thinking that if it's a completely different staff, Peyton does not want to start all over with new staff

If Peyton were to go to another team then he would have an entirely new coaching staff. Playing with a new Colts staff would not be an issue for him. He knows what he is doing.

I am not sure one can make that leap. This is a major overhaul going on with everything. If we do make a change at the OC I don't know if you can say it means Peyton is gone. It could just mean the Colts aren't comfortable going forward with him as the OC. I am sure the Colts don't think Peyton Manning couldn't handle learning a new system if that's the direction they go in.

I don't agree. If Clyde is fired its a clear indicator that Manning will not be back. With that said, it is my opinion that Manning is done in Indy anyway. Even if its not the Colts intention to release Manning, I don't think he'll want any part of the wholesale changes that have been made. Let the suicide watch begin for quite a few people here on this forum.

I don't agree. If Clyde is fired its a clear indicator that Manning will not be back. With that said, it is my opinion that Manning is done in Indy anyway. Even if its not the Colts intention to release Manning, I don't think he'll want any part of the wholesale changes that have been made. Let the suicide watch begin for quite a few people here on this forum.

No it's not. There is a very real chance the Colts could release Christensen and still keep Manning. This GM is cleaning house and I think Christensen might get up caught up in that. I don't think if we fire the OC it means we are going to release Manning. Like I said before I doubt Peyton Manning would have much trouble learning another system. I also don't think if we keep Christensen it means we are keeping Manning either. I think that could mean the Colts think he's doing a good job and they think his system can work with Luck if it needed too.