Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Casey Hayward

I'm sure we'll be drafting somebody high as the starter.  Remember Marcus Peters from last year.  There's a lot of good CBs in the draft this year.  Also when asked about the issue Grigson mentioned that we had other guys on the roster that the media doesn't know much about.  I'm sure he was referrring to Djoun Smith, Tevin Mitchel, Tay Glover-Wright. Maybe even Desmond Southward who has been used as a corner by Atlanta before.  They will all be in play for the position.  Mostly Tevin and Djoun Smith, but who knows.

Tay Wright is 6'0" to 6'1" and runs a 4.3 forty. Came over from Green Bay, scouts said he was similar to  Sam Shields. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/3/16/8223259/packers-tay-glover-wright-tramon-williams-sam-shields

I've mentioned his name in these forums more than once because I think he can play. He's been on the roster for some time now getting taught by the DB whisperer so who knows. 

I'm not worried, we'll find somebody that is better than Toler when it's all said and done. 

33 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

You guys will see it like I do before to long. Grigson is a joke. Hayward for 3/15???? And we didn't make a run at him?

You're still not getting it.

I was a fine firing Grigson THIS OFF-SEASON.

But we didn't.      That doesn't mean we don't have a plan.    And Irsay has signed off on it,  and odds are,  so has Pagano.      So,  there IS a plan.     We just don't know what it is.      And we won't for some time.

51 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm sure we'll be drafting somebody high as the starter.  Remember Marcus Peters from last year.  There's a lot of good CBs in the draft this year.  Also when asked about the issue Grigson mentioned that we had other guys on the roster that the media doesn't know much about.  I'm sure he was referrring to Djoun Smith, Tevin Mitchel, Tay Glover-Wright. Maybe even Desmond Southward who has been used as a corner by Atlanta before.  They will all be in play for the position.  Mostly Tevin and Djoun Smith, but who knows.

Tay Wright is 6'0" to 6'1" and runs a 4.3 forty. Came over from Green Bay, scouts said he was similar to  Sam Shields. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/3/16/8223259/packers-tay-glover-wright-tramon-williams-sam-shields

I've mentioned his name in these forums more than once because I think he can play. He's been on the roster for some time now getting taught by the DB whisperer so who knows. 

I'm not worried, we'll find somebody that is better than Toler when it's all said and done. 

I still say we draft a CB number one. kendall fuller is my pick

5 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Wow. Now that pricetag pisses me off.

It should. Shows how incompetent our "genius" general manager is. Watch us have zero interest in Patrick Robinson now and him sign a 1 year 4 million dollar deal LOL.

38 minutes ago, twfish said:

Jesus dude are you going to say the same thing every thread??

Man. I'm just furious by the way we have completely ignored the holes we needed to fill. I love my Colts man. And it kills me that we aren't doing a thing to make us a super bowl contender.

12 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

bonehead_zpse1f07f98.gif

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Whatever dude. If you're content with having a borderline playoff team, who cant beat the elite teams, and have no offensive line and no pass rush then that's fine. But I want to be a top tier team THIS year.

Okay now, all you GM's out there, take a deep breath and count to 10.  You're acting like lemmings going off the cliff.  One after another.  Mass suicide.  Have a good nights rest tonight and wake up tomorrow ready to have a great day.  I bet tomorrow will be a better day.  All is not lost. This is just the start of the new year. 

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Man. I'm just furious by the way we have completely ignored the holes we needed to fill. I love my Colts man. And it kills me that we aren't doing a thing to make us a super bowl contender.

Why are you so shocked we haven't signed anyone? Grigson stated they weren't going to be very active in FA. How successful was free agency last year? Nfl and ESPN raved about our FA additions and looked how it turned out.

Andre Johnson bust

Frank Gore good pick up

Todd Herremans bust but hey he was an O-line men

Kendall Langford wich was a really good pick up

Ben Heenan still an unknown because of injury but he's back and has the potential to be a really good guard

Dwight Lowery wich was decent

Trent Cole he may turn out a little better after a pay cut

Sio Moore which we don't know

Nate Irving who I'm very hopeful for

So out of all the FA madness we really only ended up carrying 4 people into the coming year.

The draft however every single player drafted last year played, and ended up getting decent starters out of dorsett geathers anderson and Parry with djoun smith being an unknown but has all the tools too be a #2 and Denzell Good looks to be good depth at the least.

So FA vs draft I'll take the draft all day especially with 20m in cap space vs next year when we will probably have 70m. I beleive grigs will have another great draft this year with as much talent in this draft

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Whatever dude. If you're content with having a borderline playoff team, who cant beat the elite teams, and have no offensive line and no pass rush then that's fine. But I want to be a top tier team THIS year.

We beat the super bowl winners and went into OT with the superbowl loses btw. The only "elite" teams where having problems with are the pats and the steelers and we're getting closer and closer to them.

15 minutes ago, twfish said:

Why are you so shocked we haven't signed anyone? Grigson stated they weren't going to be very active in FA. How successful was free agency last year? Nfl and ESPN raved about our FA additions and looked how it turned out.

Andre Johnson bust

Frank Gore good pick up

Todd Herremans bust but hey he was an O-line men

Kendall Langford wich was a really good pick up

Ben Heenan still an unknown because of injury but he's back and has the potential to be a really good guard

Dwight Lowery wich was decent

Trent Cole he may turn out a little better after a pay cut

Sio Moore which we don't know

Nate Irving who I'm very hopeful for

So out of all the FA madness we really only ended up carrying 4 people into the coming year.

The draft however every single player drafted last year played, and ended up getting decent starters out of dorsett geathers anderson and Parry with djoun smith being an unknown but has all the tools too be a #2 and Denzell Good looks to be good depth at the least.

So FA vs draft I'll take the draft all day especially with 20m in cap space vs next year when we will probably have 70m. I beleive grigs will have another great draft this year with as much talent in this draft

Dude. The reason free agency wasn't successful last year is because we signed a bunch of over the hill bums. I mean come on. Had we signed Parnell McPhee and Rodney Hudson to go along with Langford it would have been a huge success. But we better have a great draft. I mean like, getting an impact pass rusher at 18 who can come in and contribute and start day 1, and both a starting RG and C in the 2nd and 3rd, Then we need to get a gem or 2 in the latter rounds too.

And, are we really going to have that much cap space next season???? Are you sure.

how about let our players actually fight for a spot rather than bring in someone else to start over them the regime is different I doubt they'll stick to a loser who's constantly being beat like toler was and keep him in the game 

49 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Dude. The reason free agency wasn't successful last year is because we signed a bunch of over the hill bums. I mean come on. Had we signed Parnell McPhee and Rodney Hudson to go along with Langford it would have been a huge success. But we better have a great draft. I mean like, getting an impact pass rusher at 18 who can come in and contribute and start day 1, and both a starting RG and C in the 2nd and 3rd, Then we need to get a gem or 2 in the latter rounds too.

And, are we really going to have that much cap space next season???? Are you sure.

Dude. Most of them weren't over the hill bums the one I'll give you is Herremans but he wasn't even that bad in the past and Johnson and gore have a shot into the hof. Do you not take in any information in all these threads you blatantly put the same irrational non thought provoking statements such as "Grigson is a joke"? It's flown around on alot of other threads that more than likely whatever we sing luck for we should be at roughly 70m in free cap next year. We have vary little cap this year after signing all of our draft picks we will be near 15m but you don't pay attention to that do you. IMO there's really not a pass rusher that would fall to us that's worthy of a first round pick this year. With us switching to a ZBS and a new o-line coach I wouldn't be surprised if we draft just a tackle In the 2nd or 3rd and that's it, I think playing a scheme to Thornton and Holmes strengths they will flurish but your on the same old "our offensive line sucks fire everyone" kick. You don't take into account that the line was middle of the pack and giving luck some of the most time to throw. A diffrent scheme playing to some players strengths along with a better offensive coordinator that will give our players the ability to get open sooner and luck to get rid of the ball sooner you'll see a big diffrence I'll put my name on it. But I'm sure you'll take none of this into consideration which is sad because in some cases I do agree with you but man its getting farther and farther in between when I do.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Yes we will. But after we resign our players it will be like 40 million

1 hour ago, The Brazilian Ninja said:

Yes we will. But after we resign our players it will be like 40 million

LOL who do we have that we have to sign? nobody really. The FA's next year will either be older guys on the decline or that terrible draft class that includes Holmes and Thornton. Off the top of my head Mathis, Walden, Cole, Adams, Butler, Holmes, Thornton, Gore. The only guy I'd want back is Mathis, and that's if he has a good year this year. Every single one of those other guys should be replaced.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL who do we have that we have to sign? nobody really. The FA's next year will either be older guys on the decline or that terrible draft class that includes Holmes and Thornton. Off the top of my head Mathis, Walden, Cole, Adams, Butler, Holmes, Thornton, Gore. The only guy I'd want back is Mathis, and that's if he has a good year this year. Every single one of those other guys should be replaced.

Yeah. But Luck's cap hit will be 22 plus millions. That let us with 50 mil. I have us resign Doyle, Mathis, Walden ,Sio Moore. Gore isn't a FA.

5 minutes ago, The Brazilian Ninja said:

Yeah. But Luck's cap hit will be 22 plus millions. That let us with 50 mil. I have us resign Doyle, Mathis, Walden ,Sio Moore. Gore isn't a FA.

We only gave Gore a 2 year deal.

Doyle wont break the bank LOL.

Walden can be replaced.

It all depends how Sio looks this year if he's back or not.

Mathis, I agree. But only if he balls out this year. And he'd only get like 2/16 anyway.

And the cap will go up another 10 million again next offseason.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

This signing sent me over the edge. I knew we probably weren't getting heyward, but I wanted it to be because he was over overpriced. The fact that we could of offered him 3 years and 16 million and didn't do so to fill a huge need is inexcusable. I agree with some posters about not overspending, but this was a bargain that we could afford. If this was our only major FA signing, I'd have been fine with it. Get the CBs fixed with some depth and fix the O-Line and Pass rush in the draft. Now we aren't even doing that. I've gone from giving this FO the benefit of the doubt, to being POed, in a few days between letting Freeman go and not signing Heyward at big bargains. It's like we're a beliemic person just wasting away and dying a slow death.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We only gave Gore a 2 year deal.

Doyle wont break the bank LOL.

Walden can be replaced.

It all depends how Sio looks this year if he's back or not.

Mathis, I agree. But only if he balls out this year. And he'd only get like 2/16 anyway.

And the cap will go up another 10 million again next offseason.

I didn't see Gore's name on spotrak.But aniway we will have alot of money to spend next season

The worry about FA is that we are not going to sign starter quality players and be left with holes for rookies to fill so we can "build through the draft". Just guessing, but it seems like we have holes to fill at C, RG, CB2, maybe a few more where we need upgrades, but lets throw in a need for pass rusher. Just with those, that is 4 places that would be filled through the draft. That means 4 solid hits out of 6 draft picks, plus a few UDFA thrown into the mix. That is unreasonable, even with someone who can actually draft decent talent and use picks wisely. Grigson doesn't even come close to that type of percentage.

So I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation that we would spend a little $$ on one or two starter quality players in FA to add to our draft class. Seems like we are beginning to run low on FA talent at some positions, unless we are waiting for training camp cuts from other teams, and that doesn't exactly fill anyone with confidence.

If Grigson viewed Hayward as more of a Nickel/Darius Butler type what would be sensible about signing him when the same guy(Darius Butler) is already on the roster?  I'm pretty sure when it all comes out it will show he and Pagano viewed him as a nickel cornerback who could not play as stout on the outside as he can on the inside.  Just look at the deal Hayward got, it was cheap because he's going to be their nickel cornerback.  Verrett and Flowers are going to man the outside spots.  Even the Chargers understood what Hayward is.  I was almost convinced he could possibly play on the outside, but when I slowed down my consumption of the  Kool Aid I felt more in line with the thinking that he's actually more of a nickel guy.  Why bring him in if we have Butler and Djoun Smith to do that?

All the other guys we supposedly missed out on cost way too much.  I know everybody wants something like the Rams had with Trumaine Johnson and Janoris Jenkins, but remember they drafted both those guys.  It's apparent we may be getting ours from the draft too.  Everything can't be FA all the time. 

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Grigson viewed Hayward as more of a Nickel/Darius Butler type what would be sensible about signing him when the same guy(Darius Butler) is already on the roster?  I'm pretty sure when it all comes out it will show he and Pagano viewed him as a nickel cornerback who could not play as stout on the outside as he can on the inside.  Just look at the deal Hayward got, it was cheap because he's going to be their nickel cornerback.  Verrett and Flowers are going to man the outside spots.  Even the Chargers understood what Hayward is.  I was almost convinced he could possibly play on the outside, but when I slowed down my consumption of the  Kool Aid I felt more in line with the thinking that he's actually more of a nickel guy.  Why bring him in if we have Butler and Djoun Smith to do that?

All the other guys we supposedly missed out on cost way too much.  I know everybody wants something like the Rams had with Trumaine Johnson and Janoris Jenkins, but remember they drafted both those guys.  It's apparent we may be getting ours from the draft too.  Everything can't be FA all the time. 

Oh, I agree with this, I'm not one of those, "the sky is falling posters" yet. I just want to improve somewhere. I said I understand above that aren't signing expensive free agents, I just want a free agent or two at a bargain that fills a need before the draft. I'm one of the highest people on "building a team through the draft", but we can't completely do that at this point. Signing a high upside player that is young at a position of need like Hayward is completely beneficial. At worst, he'll be our 4th CB and provide great depth, and he could easily be better than one or both of D'Joun Smith and/or Darius Butler. We need to build the heart and soul of our team through the draft, but fill the loose odds and ends through free agency. Heyward could have turned CB from a need to a strength and narrowed our focus to O-Line and Pass Rush in the draft with an emphasis on BPA in the first round with a player like Billings then being more acceptable. This is starting to get very frustrating and I'm getting to the point where I'm not just upset at Grigson, but where I'm losing interest in the team. The draft better be very good or we're going to lose to the Texans again this year.

46 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh, I agree with this, I'm not one of those, "the sky is falling posters" yet. I just want to improve somewhere. I said I understand above that aren't signing expensive free agents, I just want a free agent or two at a bargain that fills a need before the draft. I'm one of the highest people on "building a team through the draft", but we can't completely do that at this point. Signing a high upside player that is young at a position of need like Hayward is completely beneficial. At worst, he'll be our 4th CB and provide great depth, and he could easily be better than one or both of D'Joun Smith and/or Darius Butler. We need to build the heart and soul of our team through the draft, but fill the loose odds and ends through free agency. Heyward could have turned CB from a need to a strength and narrowed our focus to O-Line and Pass Rush in the draft with an emphasis on BPA in the first round with a player like Billings then being more acceptable. This is starting to get very frustrating and I'm getting to the point where I'm not just upset at Grigson, but where I'm losing interest in the team. The draft better be very good or we're going to lose to the Texans again this year.

You make some good points. However to me we've got a pretty solid nickel corner on the roster now.  Butler is no slouch at the Nickel, and in my mind Djoun will probably end up beating him out for that spot when it's all said and done. And I'd want that because Djoun runs a 4.37 along with athleticism and smarts to play on the outside but real short on experience.  I'm not saying don't use FA because I do see the value in it. However if you don't think a guy fits what you want whether that be money demands or positional fit , then you don't make the move. As it stands right now we have some young guys on the roster along with Butler who can challenge for that nickel spot and some of the other positions. And this is before we even talk about the draft, UDFA and any potential trades.  In my eyes if Grigson/Pagano can't see Hayward taking over that #2 position then what's the purpose of making that move at all?  Again I feel we have good enough competition for those nickel and dime spots between Butler, Smith, Mitchel that it doesn't make complete sense to bring another nickel guy in like Hayward.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Mitchel could take over that # 2 spot to be honest. I don't feel safe relying on that because I haven't seen him play in the NFL yet, but he did shut Amari Cooper down in that Arkansas vs. Alabama game.  He's got good size and is pretty fast. I think we need a guy who can take over that #2 spot full time.  Unfortunately all the guys we've wanted have been priced way too high, or are more nickel corner types like Hayward.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

You make some good points. However to me we've got a pretty solid nickel corner on the roster now.  Butler is no slouch at the Nickel, and in my mind Djoun will probably end up beating him out for that spot when it's all said and done. And I'd want that because Djoun runs a 4.37 along with athleticism and smarts to play on the outside but real short on experience.  I'm not saying don't use FA because I do see the value in it. However if you don't think a guy fits what you want whether that be money demands or positional fit , then you don't make the move. As it stands right now we have some young guys on the roster along with Butler who can challenge for that nickel spot and some of the other positions. And this is before we even talk about the draft, UDFA and any potential trades.  In my eyes if Grigson/Pagano can't see Hayward taking over that #2 position then what's the purpose of making that move at all?  Again I feel we have good enough competition for those nickel and dime spots between Butler, Smith, Mitchel that it doesn't make complete sense to bring another nickel guy in like Hayward. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Mitchel could take over that # 2 spot to be honest.  I don't feel safe relying on that, but he did shut Amari Cooper down in that Arkansas vs. Alabama game.  He's got good size and is pretty fast. I think we need a guy who can take over that #2 spot full time.  Unfortunately all the guys we've wanted have been priced way too high, or are more nickel corner types like Hayward.

It's definitely a lose-lose right now, if Mitchel can be as good as you think It'd be great. I just would have to see it in the NFL to be convinced. Remember, free agency is about filling needs, not getting franchise players. So if we get a lot of depth and it does improve our team, I would be somewhat happy. Hayward isn't a fantastic fit for the system, but he's a nice young option in a free agent class right now with few options. I guess I'm just pulling at straws a bit. The draft can't come soon enough and there aren't enough picks to fill all our needs. It's a multi-year project still, and what frustrates me is Luck is 4 years older than when we drafted him, and we are in rebuild mode again. Time isn't running out, but it's creeping up on us, and we may waste a few of Luck's prime years just getting a proper team round him. I fear it's Manning 2.0 all over again where we might win 1 SB because of a below average team around our franchise QB.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's definitely a lose-lose right now, if Mitchel can be as good as you think It'd be great. I just would have to see it in the NFL to be convinced. Remember, free agency is about filling needs, not getting franchise players. So if we get a lot of depth and it does improve our team, I would be somewhat happy. Hayward isn't a fantastic fit for the system, but he's a nice young option in a free agent class right now with few options. I guess I'm just pulling at straws a bit. The draft can't come soon enough and there aren't enough picks to fill all our needs. It's a multi-year project still, and what frustrates me is Luck is 4 years older than when we drafted him, and we are in rebuild mode again. Time isn't running out, but it's creeping up on us, and we may waste a few of Luck's prime years just getting a proper team round him. I fear it's Manning 2.0 all over again where we might win 1 SB because of a below average team around our franchise QB.

I think we'll be alright.  The starter will most likely come from the draft I think which is cool because it won't be long before Vontae will be getting old so we need as many young bucks as we can get to make up for that as well. Kansas City had to wait all the way till the draft to fill their #2 cornerback position, so it happens sometimes.  If we can get our hands on Mackenzie Alexander, Will Jackson or one of those other top corners I think we'll look pretty good in the secondary.  Vontae Davis, Will Jackson/Mackenzie Alexander, Darius Butler,Djoun Smith, Tevin Mitchel. Main thing I'm looking for us to do in the draft is get that front 7 beefed up and that will help out a lot. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I think we'll be alright.  The starter will most likely come from the draft I think which is cool because it won't be long before Vontae will be getting old so we need as many young bucks as we can get to make up for that as well. Kansas City had to wait all the way till the draft to fill their #2 cornerback position, so it happens sometimes.  If we can get our hands on Mackenzie Alexander, Will Jackson or one of those other top corners I think we'll look pretty good in the secondary.  Vontae Davis, Will Jackson/Mackenzie Alexander, Darius Butler,Djoun Smith, Tevin Mitchel. Main thing I'm looking for us to do in the draft is get that front 7 beefed up and that will help out a lot. 

Billings would help a lot. The more I hear about him, the more I want him on the Colts. If Alexander or Jackson fell to the 2nd, that would be incredible, though it's a longshot. I wish we would trade down, but I also want a top talent as well. Just depends on the offers we get and the board texture on our pick. Anything at this point is somewhat of an upgrade, so we can pretty much go BPA and improve, which is a good thing at 18. If we are lucky, we may get someone Grigson has ranked in his top 12.