Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm glad we didn't go after Mack

Steamboat_Shaun

9 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I figured he would hit the jackpot with some other team....what is the chance he plays through the entire contract?

He'll be a short term fix at best, that's another reason why I wasn't on board. I want to draft someone who can hit his prime and play in front of Luck for the foreseeable future, not sign a FA who will probably only play just 2 or 3 seasons while his skills rapidly start to decline.

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I figured he would hit the jackpot with some other team....what is the chance he plays through the entire contract?

At 10M per year going til he's 35. . . not likely.  That's a lot of money for a center, I believe that would make him the highest paid C in the league and any drop off in his play would be a good reason to cut him. 

Not many "elite" players can keep playing at that level at 35 except quarterbacks, kickers and punters.  

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

5 years/$50mil is an insane contract for a 30 year old center. Not a terrible signing for Atlanta because they already have Matt Ryan locked down long-term, but that kind of contract would've crippled the Colts since they still have to pay Luck.

Do we even know that DIDN'T go after Mack?

All we really do know is that we didn't get him.      It's possible we went after him and simply got outbid......

Just saying......

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do we even know that DIDN'T go after Mack?

All we really do know is that we didn't get him.      It's possible we went after him and simply got outbid......

Just saying......

That's certainly a possibility, but giving a 30 year old center $50mil, or anything near that amount, seems like it would go directly against Irsay's "get younger" mantra.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's certainly a possibility, but giving a 30 year old center $50mil, or anything near that amount, seems like it would go directly against Irsay's "get younger" mantra.

True.....   but it's pretty close to impossible to build an entire roster of sub-30 year old players.

You can cut down on the number of them -- but I don't think you can eliminate them entirely.    At least,  not without hurting your team....      you need some veterans, even if only for their experience and leadership....

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

True.....   but it's pretty close to impossible to build an entire roster of sub-30 year old players.

You can cut down on the number of them -- but I don't think you can eliminate them entirely.    At least,  not without hurting your team....      you need some veterans, even if only for their experience and leadership....

There's always gonna be a couple of older guys on the roster, but signing one in free agency to a five year deal seems like it could backfire really easily.

He's 30, and the draft is deep with much cheaper options. It should also be noted that he gave up the 3rd most pressures out of all centers last year.

He's 30, and the draft is deep with much cheaper options. It should also be noted that he gave up the 3rd most pressures out of all centers last year.

you can say that again

you can say that again

you can say that again

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

At 10M per year going til he's 35. . . not likely.  That's a lot of money for a center, I believe that would make him the highest paid C in the league and any drop off in his play would be a good reason to cut him. 

Not many "elite" players can keep playing at that level at 35 except quarterbacks, kickers and punters.  

He probably won't see years 4 and 5.

21 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Jeff Saturday seemed to make it just fine to 35 and still be productive.