Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on A couple of Character Concern Prospects

I noticed that there have been a lot of discussions on some red flag guys that could be there at the Colts pick. The three big names I feel are:

-Noah Spence

-Robert Nkedimche

-Adolphus Wasgington

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it since it keeps popping up in other topics.

Personally I have Nkedimche off the Colts board since it is said that he has bad influences around him

and is likely to have another incident.

With Spence, I get that his issues were 3 years ago, but it was an addiction, and addictions are hard to kick. An environment like the NFL is an easy way to relapse. Plus as a projected first rounder, I'm not sure we take the risk since Grigs said no guys with character issues in rounds 1-3, or 1-4. Something like that.

Wadhington is a guy I'd like the Colts to gamble on round 3-4 if available. The stuff on him doesn't seem as bad. He was caught in a prostitution sting, but it was because he answered an add on backpage, which more people than you think actually do. He was also carrying a gun at the time of his arrest but it was legal meaning he had it registered.

Out of the 3, I feel as if he was mis-represented. People also forget that Elliot was with him in the car driving with a suspended license. I don't think he's a bad kid, and he shined during Senior Bowl practices.

I will say Spence is a little more serious because it was not 3 years ago.  He had an issue with alcohol like 9 months ago and as far as the drug tests that was still under 2 years ago.  He seems like someone who will have some issues still once some money is in play.  Nkemdiche will IMO be another guy like Josh Gordon or Blackmon because GM's said in his interview he seemed like he had little care for that topic and has bad influences around him.  Again, money will be a factor with that as well.  Washington is the one I see having little issues.

I've been hearing the "No character risks in the 1st three rounds" reference aound here recently.   Can anyone point to an article or quote for that?  I'd just like to read it, not that I believe much out of a GM's mouth prior to the draft...

18 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I will say Spence is a little more serious because it was not 3 years ago.  He had an issue with alcohol like 9 months ago and as far as the drug tests that was still under 2 years ago.  He seems like someone who will have some issues still once some money is in play.  Nkemdiche will IMO be another guy like Josh Gordon or Blackmon because GM's said in his interview he seemed like he had little care for that topic and has bad influences around him.  Again, money will be a factor with that as well.  Washington is the one I see having little issues.

I always wonder why when people defend Spence they fail to bring up the alcohol incident . I mean I'm 24 so I know all about how young people in college can be with alcohol, but you'd think he'd be more careful after being put under the microscope. He also lied for months about the ecstasy, which has always been my biggest concern. He wasn't forthcoming about it initially. It's one thing to mess up and own it. It's another to mess up, lie about it for months and make people around you believe it, and then mess up again.

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

I've been hearing the "No character risks in the 1st three rounds" reference aound here recently.   Can anyone point to an article or quote for that?  I'd just like to read it, not that I believe much out of a GM's mouth prior to the draft...

Will do If someone doesn't beat me to it.

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

I cant find a specific article or quote but I do remember him making that comment. It's not a figment of someone's imagination.

22 minutes ago, Archer said:

If you turn over as many stones as the Colts do, you have to be willing to get your hands dirty. Grigson knows that every Super Bowl champion has employed players whom you wouldn't ask to babysit your kids. He will not draft a player he deems a character risk in the first four rounds. After that he will consider it, as long as the player has the potential to be a starter.

"Usually these aren't the cleanest guys, or they don't learn well, or they have some sort of drug issue, or maybe they don't fit in society well," he says. "But between the white lines, they can go all day. That's their sanctuary."

So far, this has been true.  There was LaVon Brazill in 2012 - but he was a sixth round pick.  There was Montori Hughes in 2013 - but he was a fifth round pick.  There was Jonathan Newsome in 2014 - but he was a fifth round pick as well.  There was Andrew Jackson in 2014 - but he was a sixth round pick.  It's an interesting trend that, so far, has been true of Grigson's first three drafts.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/4/27/8499289/ryan-grigson-will-not-draft-players-who-are-character-concerns-in-the-first-four-rounds-nfl-draft

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

If you turn over as many stones as the Colts do, you have to be willing to get your hands dirty. Grigson knows that every Super Bowl champion has employed players whom you wouldn't ask to babysit your kids. He will not draft a player he deems a character risk in the first four rounds. After that he will consider it, as long as the player has the potential to be a starter.

"Usually these aren't the cleanest guys, or they don't learn well, or they have some sort of drug issue, or maybe they don't fit in society well," he says. "But between the white lines, they can go all day. That's their sanctuary."

So far, this has been true.  There was LaVon Brazill in 2012 - but he was a sixth round pick.  There was Montori Hughes in 2013 - but he was a fifth round pick.  There was Jonathan Newsome in 2014 - but he was a fifth round pick as well.  There was Andrew Jackson in 2014 - but he was a sixth round pick.  It's an interesting trend that, so far, has been true of Grigson's first three drafts.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/4/27/8499289/ryan-grigson-will-not-draft-players-who-are-character-concerns-in-the-first-four-rounds-nfl-draft

Hugh Thornton was a 3rd round pick in 2013 who had off field issues. When it comes down to it if a GM is to keep himself employed it at times is necessary to take an early character risk player hos got the talent......Though I'd probably go with Floyd over Spence the more I think about it because he is more versatile and has a quick first step and put on weight and muscle

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yet we were supposedly targeting Shane Ray in the draft last year but Denver traded up to get him. If true that goes against Grigson's no red flags policy.

Supposedly targeting him and actually drafting him if available are two very different things.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Beat me to it lol. And I had just found an article too.

But yeah first 4 rounds. That's why I don't get people thinking Spence is an option. If he's gotten burned by 5th and 6th round picks and UDFA's, I don't see why he would take a risk on a 1st round pick. Especially as high as 18.

Washington I feel would be worth him breaking his rule for if he was available round 3-4. His issues aren't substance related and it was a 1 time thing.

6 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Hugh Thornton was a 3rd round pick in 2013

What's the story on Thorton again? Minor alcohol consumption or something like that right?

10 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yet we were supposedly targeting Shane Ray in the draft last year but Denver traded up to get him. If true that goes against Grigson's no red flags policy.

Plus he had absolutely no issues before that incident which happened what a day or two before the draft.  We will never know because we did not draft him.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Beat me to it lol. And I had just found an article too.

But yeah first 4 rounds. That's why I don't get people thinking Spence is an option. If he's gotten burned by 5th and 6th round picks and UDFA's, I don't see why he would take a risk on a 1st round pick. Especially as high as 18.

Washington I feel would be worth him breaking his rule for if he was available round 3-4. His issues aren't substance related and it was a 1 time thing.

What's the story on Thorton again? Minor alcohol consumption or something like that right?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/hugh-thornton?id=2539649

51 minutes ago, Archer said:

The quote was from several years ago,  so I'm not sure how anyone would go about finding it.

It came from Grigson in the off-season.    And he said no more knuckleheads (his word)  until the 5th round at the earliest.

22 minutes ago, Gavin said:

First of all I had no idea Thorton went through all of that. We give him a hard time a lot but I gained respect for him after reading that.

But his issues seem like just college stuff. Underage drinking? Kids are drinking in HS now. But I'd be more concerned with a DUI than him drinking while under age. Using a fake ID is just silly kid stuff IMO.

Wrong is wrong but I truly believe that some infractions just aren't as bad as others. I'll take underage drinking and trying to get laid off of backpage over synthetic weed, jumping out off a hotel balcony, and failing multiple drug tests for ecstasy.

I'm not saying Grigson won't ever ignore some character concerns. He even said in an article that after awhile you have to just get good football players on your team and roll the dice. But I think him breaking his rule in the first round is out of the question. If he did it'd have to be for a really amazing prospect. He'd have to be Andrew Luck type potential for him to take a character concern for him to spend a first.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

It is 4 rounds, and you can read it here (it is far down in the article) and a lot of other items concerning Grigson and drafting (like he won't change the board from the combine forward, etc...) from a Sports Illustrated article.  This is where Stampede Blue got its info from.

Full Article-

http://www.si.com/vault/2015/04/20/106753868/the-prospector

Excerpt-

"Grigson knows that every Super Bowl champion has employed players whom you wouldn't ask to babysit your kids. He will not draft a player he deems a character risk in the first four rounds. After that he will consider it, as long as the player has the potential to be a starter."

But there are way more Randy Gregory's than Tyrann Mathieu's.  Gregory was popped for substance abuse at last years combine.  He is suspended for 4 games in 2016.  That means he failed 3 more drug tests in 2015 while also having a crappy performance year.  Well done Randy... and others like you.

7 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I wouldn't believe anything that came out of a GM's mouth this time of year.

There's nothing more that Spence can do to prove himself. He's repeatedly passed weekly drug test and has the support of Urban Meyer. I doubt Meyer would help him get a second chance if he didn't believe in him. 

As far as his ecstasy use, I just don't think it's as bad as some believe. Obviously he made a series of mistakes but ecstasy is a party drug that is unbelievably common on every college campus in the US. It's not as addictive as alcohol or other drugs IMO. 

His recent trouble with alcohol only resulted in a disorderly conduct. Which are quite easy to pick up. No excuses but it was expunged after he did community service.  

I can see why people would be hesitant to take Spence but I wholeheartedly believe his problems are behind him. 

6 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

There's nothing more that Spence can do to prove himself. He's repeatedly passed weekly drug test and has the support of Urban Meyer. I doubt Meyer would help him get a second chance if he didn't believe in him. 

As far as his ecstasy use, I just don't think it's as bad as some believe. Obviously he made a series of mistakes but ecstasy is a party drug that is unbelievably common on every college campus in the US. It's not as addictive as alcohol or other drugs IMO. 

His recent trouble with alcohol only resulted in a disorderly conduct. Which are quite easy to pick up. No excuses but it was expunged after he did community service.  

I can see why people would be hesitant to take Spence but I wholeheartedly believe his problems are behind him. 

If disorderly conduct is easy to pick up, how come all of the prospects don't have it. If everyone else can abide by it, he should be able to as well. He should be even more careful about it as he knows he's under the microscope. He was in the middle of trying to fix his image and couldn't stay out of trouble. What does that say about how he will act when he reaches his end goal and gets to the NFL? 

The same can be said for his failed drug tests. He's the only person in this draft that got caught doing ecstasy,  multiple times. You can't just say it's not his fault because it's common. He knew the risks and didn't care. Give him a big paycheck and he might be willing to take the risks again. 

Grigson has went out and said he isn't taking chances on kids with character issues until Round 5. Chances are he's off our board,  and I wouldnt be willing to take a chance on him until at least Round 3.

5 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

If disorderly conduct is easy to pick up, how come all of the prospects don't have it. If everyone else can abide by it, he should be able to as well. He should be even more careful about it as he knows he's under the microscope. He was in the middle of trying to fix his image and couldn't stay out of trouble. What does that say about how he will act when he reaches his end goal and gets to the NFL? 

The same can be said for his failed drug tests. He's the only person in this draft that got caught doing ecstasy,  multiple times. You can't just say it's not his fault because it's common. He knew the risks and didn't care. Give him a big paycheck and he might be willing to take the risks again. 

Grigson has went out and said he isn't taking chances on kids with character issues until Round 5. Chances are he's off our board,  and I wouldnt be willing to take a chance on him until at least Round 3.

Never said it wasn't his fault. I believe he made a series of mistakes and owned up to them like I said in the previous post.

You're right the fact that ecstasy is common doesn't matter. But some posters on here seem to think it's some highly addictive drug like coke and don't realize how regularly it's used by college kids.

The fact that the disorderly got dismissed makes me think it wasn't serious.

Again this is just my opinion and honestly right now I'd rather have Lawson or Dodd if we go with an edge rusher at 18. 

26 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Never said it wasn't his fault. I believe he made a series of mistakes and owned up to them like I said in the previous post.

You're right the fact that ecstasy is common doesn't matter. But some posters on here seem to think it's some highly addictive drug like coke and don't realize how regularly it's used by college kids.

Again this is just my opinion and honestly right now I'd rather have Lawson or Dodd if we go with an edge rusher at 18. 

Fair enough.  I can agree with most of that. Although to be fair he didn't own up to the ecstasy,  claimed someone spiked his drink the first time. The disorderly probably wasnt that serious, but if I'm under the microscope and my career is on the line, I wouldn't have even put myself in a situation for it to happen. It's not hard to keep your nose clean for one year.... 

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Having some personal outside experience in matters of Molly/Ecstasy/MDMA via knowing many teens (now fine grown young adults thankfully) that went to Raves/Parties and had partaken of 'Molly's', and they are most often not just MDMA.  There might be some MDMA in them, but often are cut with many other items.  Some of which are MDA, Flakka, LSD, or maybe even cocaine and-or amphetamine/methamphetamine. Kids just taking a Molly have tested positive for many other substances as well because of it, including bath salts (upwards of 40% in a recent study!) without knowing.  This is what makes Ecstasy particularly dangerous; a user never really knows what he is taking.

I really hope you are right that his problems are behind him, many other players have thrown away a lucrative career so many dream of over the desire to take recreations substances liberally.

10 hours ago, SP_21 said:

But he didn't own up to them intitially. That's always been my issue. Most people mess up, get caught, own it, and then change.

Spence lied for months and took it again and it took getting dismissed from OSU and help for him to change. That tells me he's not responsible. Just like the guy Josh Shaw last year who lied about jumping of a balcony to save a drowning cousin.

How long does it take for Spence to no longer be considered a character concern?  By all accounts, the guy has been clean for three years.

I'm not convinced that Grigson considers Spence a character concern at this point.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

How long does it take for Spence to no longer be considered a character concern?  By all accounts, the guy has been clean for three years.

I'm not convinced that Grigson considers Spence a character concern at this point.

I think you need to check your timeline. It was in 2014 that he was banned from the Big 10 and set out one year. Since then he has been tested positive for ecstasy two times in 2015. Then there is the alcohol charge since then.  I am not saying he will have problems in the future as none of us can be 100% sure one way of another. IMO Grigson will not take the Gamble in the first round. I would think some team will take the gamble before the end of the first round or early second. As we have seen with drafts in the past anything can happen and normally does.

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you need to check your timeline. It was in 2014 that he was banned from the Big 10 and set out one year. Since then he has been tested positive for ecstasy two times in 2015. Then there is the alcohol charge since then.  I am not saying he will have problems in the future as none of us can be 100% sure one way of another. IMO Grigson will not take the Gamble in the first round. I would think some team will take the gamble before the end of the first round or early second. As we have seen with drafts in the past anything can happen and normally does.

His last failed drug test was September 2014. He then enrolled in a drug treatment program and has been clean since. Your facts are all wrong. 

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

His last failed drug test was September 2014. He then enrolled in a drug treatment program and has been clean since. Your facts are all wrong. 

Nonsense. Sept 2014 is not over three years and that was what I was commenting on. Did you bother to read what I was commenting on? Maybe you should go look at the timeline?

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nonsense. Sept 2014 is not over three years and that was what I was commenting on. Did you bother to read what I was commenting on? Maybe you should go look at the timeline?

You said "Since then he has been tested positive for ecstasy twice in 2015". Which is false. I said nothing about it being three years ago. 

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

You said "Since then he has been tested positive for ecstasy twice in 2015". Which is false. I said nothing about it being three years ago. 

I reread both comments and it seems we were both wrong. I was wrong in the testing two time while you were wrong in the statement he has been clean. He has not been clean since those test. You may think the alcohol issue is no big deal but it is there in the picture. As far as you thinking ecstasy is not as bad as other things still cant be used as an excuse. He may very well turn into a great player, I have no clue. Like I said in a earlier comment, I doubt very seriously that Grigson will take that gamble.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I reread both comments and it seems we were both wrong. I was wrong in the testing two time while you were wrong in the statement he has been clean. He has not been clean since those test. You may think the alcohol issue is no big deal but it is there in the picture. As far as you thinking ecstasy is not as bad as other things still cant be used as an excuse. He may very well turn into a great player, I have no clue. Like I said in a earlier comment, I doubt very seriously that Grigson will take that gamble.

I agree with you. I think there's a very slim  chance we draft Spence. Grigson won't take a risk in the 1st round when there are plenty of other talented players available. 

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Having some personal outside experience in matters of Molly/Ecstasy/MDMA via knowing many teens (now fine grown young adults thankfully) that went to Raves/Parties and had partaken of 'Molly's', and they are most often not just MDMA.  There might be some MDMA in them, but often are cut with many other items.  Some of which are MDA, Flakka, LSD, or maybe even cocaine and-or amphetamine/methamphetamine. Kids just taking a Molly have tested positive for many other substances as well because of it, including bath salts (upwards of 40% in a recent study!) without knowing.  This is what makes Ecstasy particularly dangerous; a user never really knows what he is taking.

I really hope you are right that his problems are behind him, many other players have thrown away a lucrative career so many dream of over the desire to take recreations substances liberally.

Ok I never was around Ecstasy or anything when I was in school. Everybody just smoked weed and stuff like that. I think Molly or Ecstasy has gotten more popular in the last few years or something because like I said, it was never around when I was in school. So tell me this. What's the difference in Molly and Ecstasy? I've seen about it on TV and stuff and have wondered what the difference is.

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I noticed that there have been a lot of discussions on some red flag guys that could be there at the Colts pick. The three big names I feel are:

-Noah Spence

-Robert Nkedimche

-Adolphus Wasgington

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it since it keeps popping up in other topics.

Personally I have Nkedimche off the Colts board since it is said that he has bad influences around him

and is likely to have another incident.

With Spence, I get that his issues were 3 years ago, but it was an addiction, and addictions are hard to kick. An environment like the NFL is an easy way to relapse. Plus as a projected first rounder, I'm not sure we take the risk since Grigs said no guys with character issues in rounds 1-3, or 1-4. Something like that.

Wadhington is a guy I'd like the Colts to gamble on round 3-4 if available. The stuff on him doesn't seem as bad. He was caught in a prostitution sting, but it was because he answered an add on backpage, which more people than you think actually do. He was also carrying a gun at the time of his arrest but it was legal meaning he had it registered.

Out of the 3, I feel as if he was mis-represented. People also forget that Elliot was with him in the car driving with a suspended license. I don't think he's a bad kid, and he shined during Senior Bowl practices.

Spence is an addict that means he's unpredictable. He's not nearly the player he made out to be. I would not have him on my board. His brush with the law involving alcohol has been conveniently pushed under the rug. Red flags and poor combine are enough for me to skip him at 18. The fact that he's condidered the top edge rusher in the draft says a lot about this class. I'd rather have Correra in the 3rd Cowser, Ngakoue or Ochi later. 

Nkimdiche I think has some real problems upstairs. I think we could do better unless he falls to day 3. Why draft a headache? This class is full of DL don't need to take chances.

Washington is the only one of the 3 I would feel comfortable with. His offense was minor IMO. I don't think he's worth 18 but in the 2nd sign me up. If he was there in the 3rd. That's a no brainer. 

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Ok I never was around Ecstasy or anything when I was in school. Everybody just smoked weed and stuff like that. I think Molly or Ecstasy has gotten more popular in the last few years or something because like I said, it was never around when I was in school. So tell me this. What's the difference in Molly and Ecstasy? I've seen about it on TV and stuff and have wondered what the difference is.

Molly is MDMA, the the main chemical in ecstasy. So basically it's supposed to be a pure form of ecstasy. It still ends up with other stuff in it which compounds the danger in taking it. 

Its unbelievable how available it is today. People use it all the time.  

3 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Looks like a good endorsement for Noah Spence. I am a big fan of Matt Miller, and if Miller came away from meeting with Spence with a positive outlook then I am sure the majority of front office personnel at the combine did too.

Not to be a downer but I am not real sure I would trust Miller and his assessment of talent? :D

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Not to be a downer but I am not real sure I would trust Miller and his assessment of talent? :D

I really like Matt Miller. No I don't agree with all of his assessments, but he gives a different outlook than most analysts which is appreciated. I like to look at what many analysts are saying, and compare it to my own thoughts about various players.

What is it that you don't like about Matt Miller?