Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WHAT IF we drafted Zeke

1 minute ago, jim scheurich said:

let me try this again. I believe draft is definitely for filling needs. WE have way more needs than RB. Somebodys gonna have a good back though. 

That's a fundamental disagreement that we'll likely never be able to reconcile. I'd rather not draft for need as I think it costs you talent.

Bill Polian just said on NFL insiders that Elliot is the best player in the draft and is No.1 on his board.  Compared him to Edge.  He thinks he is a top 5 pick and could go No.1 or to Dallas at 4.  If we can get a quality OL starter, center or guard, in FA then we can trade up with Tom Telesco and the Chargers and get him at No. 3. There is no way he falls to 18.  I would"t be surprised if Polian has already talked to Irsay about him because of the comparison to Edge. Whichever OL we don't sign in FA we draft in a later round.  In all probability we are going to sign a corner and a front seven D player in FA.  Hopefully Irvin or Harrison.  Grigson isn't afraid to trade. A back like Elliot is another surefire way to help Luck.  I know not too many people on this board have a high value for RB's but the guys that do it for a living sure do.  RB is a huge need for us. We haven't been able to fill it with our late round picks.  I think it's time to be bold and pull the trigger and get our third triplet. 

22 hours ago, Superman said:

I'd rather bet on the more talented player than a less talented player at a position of perceived need.

sorry late on reply,  I understand your points, I'm just of the opinion that if you need help, get it. At least the first 3-4 picks of the draft should be playing a lot of ball. I'm sure you know its going to cost at least twice as much (ballpark) to get a good vet. player. Why draft for the bench?

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Bill Polian just said on NFL insiders that Elliot is the best player in the draft and is No.1 on his board.  Compared him to Edge.  He thinks he is a top 5 pick and could go No.1 or to Dallas at 4.  If we can get a quality OL starter, center or guard, in FA then we can trade up with Tom Telesco and the Chargers and get him at No. 3. There is no way he falls to 18.  I would"t be surprised if Polian has already talked to Irsay about him because of the comparison to Edge. Whichever OL we don't sign in FA we draft in a later round.  In all probability we are going to sign a corner and a front seven D player in FA.  Hopefully Irvin or Harrison.  Grigson isn't afraid to trade. A back like Elliot is another surefire way to help Luck.  I know not too many people on this board have a high value for RB's but the guys that do it for a living sure do.  RB is a huge need for us. We haven't been able to fill it with our late round picks.  I think it's time to be bold and pull the trigger and get our third triplet. 

Yeah, I have heard that senile old man's logic about how Running backs have an even higher value now.  Good lord Bill.....

The guys that do it for a living???  Look at the last several drafts and get back to us.

If the RB doesn't grade out as a 1st. rd. talent you don't do it. You don't want to reach for any position.  Last year I believe a couple of RB's went in the 1st. round.  I think one was rookie of the year. This year I wouldn't be surprised if at least two go in the first round.  Every year it's a different ballgame.  Every year the talent pool changes.  Some years the RB class is strong other years not so great. This year there is a RB, Elliot, who is a consensus top 10 pick and now some people are saying top 5.  I think Bill knows talent a lot better than we do regardless of his age.   I wish we could wait for 18 but he is getting even more attention now.   I think we have to move up to get him.  Of course that's up to Grigson and coach. If we stay at 18 it's probably Kelly or Whitehair or Conklin, which isn't a bad thing either.  But, I would really love Elliot!

40 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If the RB doesn't grade out as a 1st. rd. talent you don't do it. You don't want to reach for any position.  Last year I believe a couple of RB's went in the 1st. round.  I think one was rookie of the year. This year I wouldn't be surprised if at least two go in the first round.  Every year it's a different ballgame.  Every year the talent pool changes.  Some years the RB class is strong other years not so great. This year there is a RB, Elliot, who is a consensus top 10 pick and now some people are saying top 5.  I think Bill knows talent a lot better than we do regardless of his age.   I wish we could wait for 18 but he is getting even more attention now.   I think we have to move up to get him.  Of course that's up to Grigson and coach. If we stay at 18 it's probably Kelly or Whitehair or Conklin, which isn't a bad thing either.  But, I would really love Elliot!

I would counter, but I get the feeling your aren't going to change your mind on this subject.

On 2/29/2016 at 4:54 PM, richard pallo said:

if that happened, the server(s) that host this message board would explode.  First and foremost, do you have any idea what it would cost to move up from #18 to #3 in the first round?

Well,  if they really consider him the best player in the draft and want him I can see them doing it. I know the board would explode but I don't think they care about our board. They have traded our 1st and 2nd. picks before.  Next years No. 1 pick should be at the end anyway.  They could also throw in a WR too.  There are a lot of ways to package a trade.  I'm not saying they will do it but I would not rule it out entirely.  Nothing would surprise me with Grigson. 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well,  if they really consider him the best player in the draft and want him I can see them doing it. I know the board would explode but I don't think they care about our board. They have traded our 1st and 2nd. picks before.  Next years No. 1 pick should be at the end anyway.  They could also throw in a WR too.  There are a lot of ways to package a trade.  I'm not saying they will do it but I would not rule it out entirely.  Nothing would surprise me with Grigson. 

this scenario can be ruled out entirely...I promise you that.  Moving up from #18 to #3 would cost you at minimum 2 additional first round picks, most likely with even more being required on top of that.  There is no way, none whatsoever, that Grigson moves up 15 spots in round 1 to draft a RB.  

And you say we could throw in a WR or 2?  We only have 3 that we can reasonably count on.  Why would we trade 2 out of our 3 quality WRs for a rookie RB? Wow there are so many things wrong with this suggestion. lol

Too not 2, there is a difference.  I am not saying it's going to happen but I wouldn't rule it out.  He traded a 1 for Trent who was the no. 3 overall pick behind Luck.  The man makes trades.  If he feels he is going to fall he might wait and do it later.  He should have a good feel for how the draft should fall.  I am all for waiting and giving up as little as possible.  But depending how successful he is finding a starting OL in FA he might consider it.  Many consider him the Best player in the draft.  If you feel you can make a good trade you have to consider it.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Too not 2, there is a difference.  I am not saying it's going to happen but I wouldn't rule it out.  He traded a 1 for Trent who was the no. 3 overall pick behind Luck.  The man makes trades.  If he feels he is going to fall he might wait and do it later.  He should have a good feel for how the draft should fall.  I am all for waiting and giving up as little as possible.  But depending how successful he is finding a starting OL in FA he might consider it.  Many consider him the Best player in the draft.  If you feel you can make a good trade you have to consider it.

Yes, I understand that.  However, you're still talking about trading away presumably either Hilton, Moncrief or Dorsett to go along with a future first round pick in order to move up from #18 to #3.  First, you are still severely underestimated what it would cost to move from #18 to #3.  Second, Trading away either Hilton, Moncrief or Dorsett then leaves a hole at WR.  Who's going to fill that role?

And personally, even if Elliot is still available at #18, I hope like hell that Grigson passes on him.

I understand.  If he does it I hope it's a trade that's good for us.  If he falls past 10 he has to be at the top of the board.  Probably most teams boards.  But not all teams take BPA.  I think if he falls to 18 he will take him.  He did it with Dorsett for that exact reason BPA.  He is just to good to pass on in a position of need.  

Sometimes I read stuff on here and I just wonder what is going on in some of your heads . We just missed the playoffs with a backup qbs . If we draft Zeke it's and upgrade . An only Left tackles should only be first rd picks enless you have a lefty qb guards used to be 3rd-4th rd picks.  You have to score to win . Someone said why was the last time someone drafted a Rb and won a Super Bowl the same can said abt every position . I'm for Zeke but he won't fall

21 hours ago, riftastic28 said:

Sometimes I read stuff on here and I just wonder what is going on in some of your heads . We just missed the playoffs with a backup qbs . If we draft Zeke it's and upgrade . An only Left tackles should only be first rd picks enless you have a lefty qb guards used to be 3rd-4th rd picks.  You have to score to win . Someone said why was the last time someone drafted a Rb and won a Super Bowl the same can said abt every position . I'm for Zeke but he won't fall

If we draft a stud FB in the 1st it would be an upgrade.....

Bell gets hurt....steelers don't miss a beat.

Charles gets hurt.....anyone notice?

Beast Mode was injured and some dude named Thomas Rawls replaces him fine.

The Colts are looking for a cornerstone.....not some guy that will be beat to crap in 4 yrs.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

If we draft a stud FB in the 1st it would be an upgrade.....

Bell gets hurt....steelers don't miss a beat.

Charles gets hurt.....anyone notice?

Beast Mode was injured and some dude named Thomas Rawls replaces him fine.

The Colts are looking for a cornerstone.....not some guy that will be beat to crap in 4 yrs.

Bell also got hurt 2 years ago and it cost them a playoff win.  The Seahawks rode Beast Mode to the Super Bowl and if they give him the ball on the last play he wins the SB for them.  Cowboys had Murray and made a  run at end of season, but w/o him they have a top 5 pick this year.  Peterson almost broke single season rushing record a few years ago and single handedly took Vikings into playoffs with a nothing team.  I could go on and on.  

48 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Bell also got hurt 2 years ago and it cost them a playoff win.  The Seahawks rode Beast Mode to the Super Bowl and if they give him the ball on the last play he wins the SB for them.  Cowboys had Murray and made a  run at end of season, but w/o him they have a top 5 pick this year.  Peterson almost broke single season rushing record a few years ago and single handedly took Vikings into playoffs with a nothing team.  I could go on and on.  

So Bell has been hurt two years in a row?  Another reason not to spend a high pick on a RB.  Plus, the steelers went out and signed DeAngelo Williams who replaced Bell just fine.

The strength of the Seahawks has been the defense.  And they gave him the ball the play previously and he got stuffed.  Actually, they should have just rolled Wilson out and allowed him to make a play....but that's another conversation.  By the way, the Seahawks made it the NFC championship game this year.

You are really going to blame the Cowboys woes on the absence of Murray?  Ok....

Point taken....if a running back has one of the greatest seasons ever

and is a physical freak and also gets on PEDS he might be able to carry a team to the playoffs.

not trying to be a jerk, but talking to somebody who values running backs as first rounders is like talking to someone who believes the world is flat.

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

So Bell has been hurt two years in a row?  Another reason not to spend a high pick on a RB.  Plus, the steelers went out and signed DeAngelo Williams who replaced Bell just fine.

The strength of the Seahawks has been the defense.  And they gave him the ball the play previously and he got stuffed.  Actually, they should have just rolled Wilson out and allowed him to make a play....but that's another conversation.

You are really going to blame the Cowboys woes on the absence of Murray?  Ok....

and is a physical freak and also gets on PEDS he might be able to carry a team to the playoffs.

not trying to be a jerk, but talking to somebody who values running backs as first rounders is like talking to someone who believes the world is flat.

You're right to a point. With the emphasis on passing in today's NFL running backs have lost some value. But there are still running backs worthy of a first round selection. 

We understand you don't value running backs in the 1st round. No need to hammer that point home anymore. 

Just now, SP_21 said:

You're right to a point. With the emphasis on passing in today's NFL running backs have lost some value. But there are still running backs worthy of a first round selection. 

We understand you don't value running backs in the 1st round. No need to hammer that point home anymore. 

If people keep challenging the opinion I will respond.  

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

If people keep challenging the opinion I will respond.  

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that there are running backs worthy of a first round selection. So while you have a point you're hardline stance on RBs isn't infallible. 

6 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that there are running backs worthy of a first round selection. So while you have a point you're hardline stance on RBs isn't infallible. 

Yes it is

i kid

not really

15 hours ago, BOTT said:

The strength of the Seahawks has been the defense.  And they gave him the ball the play previously and he got stuffed.  Actually, they should have just rolled Wilson out and allowed him to make a play....but that's another conversation.  By the way, the Seahawks made it the NFC championship game this year.

I never said we should take a RB in the 1st round.  I was reading the thread and just jumped in because I thought your examples didn't prove your point.  I think the world is round.   

On February 28, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Nesjan3 said:

lol thats actually a very funny question cause the most recent team was us when we drafted Addai in 06 bahaha

Even funnier is the fact that its the ONLY time a SB was won in Indy era.

anybody check Baltimore's 1st rd pick the year they won against Dallas?

all i can say is if its a RB, draft Elliot!!!

haha

I wouldn't take a RB in round 1, but if it means choosing between Adrian Peterson and Bjoern Werner, then I'd take the former than to reach for the latter anyday.

e.g. in 2013, we should have taken DeAndre Hopkins or LeVeon Bell in lieu of Bjoern Werner. Or even Eddie Lacy, Travis Kelce, or Jordan Reed instead.

The RB I'm looking at is someone I have yet to see on any draft boards, Terron Beckham. Wasn't invited to the combine, I'm assuming since he didn't play anywhere last year. He's Odell's cousin, 23 years old, and is a physical specimen. Would've shattered combine records if he was invited. Attended a smaller combine the same day and had 44 reps on the bench (record for RB is 36, all positions was 49) with a 45 inch vertical. I don't think he posted a 40 yard dash time, but based on some videos posted to his instagram, he definitely is quick and shifty. Just might not have break away speed. I know these are just physical stats, and without game tape it's difficult to assess his talent, but as a 7th rounder why not give him a shot. As long as he can catch out of the backfield, gotta imagine he'd be a beast in the open field.

Offensive line in the draft is a smoke screen. IMO, I think we will address the position in free agency. The thought of winning free agency is crazy. We dont have to win it. Just get quality veteran players that solidify our line. The draft will be used for building that monster D and getting younger. I do think we will draft Elliott or Billings. Either pick I will be happy with.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:55 PM, Seanmac90 said:

The RB I'm looking at is someone I have yet to see on any draft boards, Terron Beckham. Wasn't invited to the combine, I'm assuming since he didn't play anywhere last year. He's Odell's cousin, 23 years old, and is a physical specimen. Would've shattered combine records if he was invited. Attended a smaller combine the same day and had 44 reps on the bench (record for RB is 36, all positions was 49) with a 45 inch vertical. I don't think he posted a 40 yard dash time, but based on some videos posted to his instagram, he definitely is quick and shifty. Just might not have break away speed. I know these are just physical stats, and without game tape it's difficult to assess his talent, but as a 7th rounder why not give him a shot. As long as he can catch out of the backfield, gotta imagine he'd be a beast in the open field.

Colts have met with him he has UDFA written all over him really doubt any team would use a draft pick on a guy who hasn't played since HS .Guy does sound like a physical freak though going to be a interesting to see if someone brings him to training camp ,

I actually would not be that upset if the Colts landed Elliott if he fell into their laps. Elliott is worlds apart from Trent Richardson, and would give the Colts their undoubted RB of the future. They would need to add some players at C and RG but having a quality running game would only help Luck.

I would be upset if the Colts took yet another WR in the 1st. Elliott is the only offensive skill player I wouldn't mind the Colts drafting without a trade up.

On 4/4/2016 at 9:47 PM, B~Town said:

Colts have met with him he has UDFA written all over him really doubt any team would use a draft pick on a guy who hasn't played since HS .Guy does sound like a physical freak though going to be a interesting to see if someone brings him to training camp ,

Yea found out today he's actually not eligible to be drafted. He's essentially just a free agent.

I would much rather see our first pick spent on defense, but if it comes down to him being the highest rated player and they pick him then I wouldn't have a problem with it. We could pick all defense this year and still not have the Denver D that every one seems to think we are going to get by drafting an edge rusher in the first. When its all said and done it basically comes down to whether you believe that with this one draft we can be perennial Superbowl contenders. I do not believe that, it's going to take a couple of good drafts to get us there in my opinion, so we are going to need a quality running back at some point, and if he's there and they rate him the best available then they should grab him and not look back.