Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett is a clone of Andrew Luck?

He sounds intriguing.  I read about him today on the Daily Norseman which had a link to a write up that Bleeding Green Nation had on their site.

Quote:

Standing a 6-4, 240 pounds, no one will question's Brissett's size. He is built like an ideal NFL quarterback, possessing great size to help him both in the pocket and when he is on the move. Brissett has an incredibly strong arm, having the ability to truly threaten any level of the field. Brissett does a great job of winning in the pocket, but he also has plus athletic ability that keeps defenses honest. He has the ability to not only extend plays outside of the pocket, but his size and speed make him a dangerous runner in the open field. From a purely physical standpoint, Brissett is precisely what any team would want in their quarterback; Well built, strong armed and possessing dynamic athletic ability.

As a passer, Brissett's mentality is what makes him so good, yet, somehow, also causes pause to a lot of evaluators. Brissett is an aggressive passer. He wants the big play. Having the arm that he does, his mentality often leads to a lot of splash plays that few other quarterbacks in the country will create. Of course, looking for a big play can also risk turnovers. When a quarterback is constantly firing down the field or testing small windows, there is as much downside as there is upside. Brissett also has a tendency to stick to his reads down the field, missing open guys crossing at the shallow and intermediate levels of the field. So, in a way, his style leaves yardage on the field. Of course this is not a good thing, but I think Brissett's defining trait is certainly not a bad thing.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/10/6/9463975/jacoby-brissett-scouting-report-playmaker-mentality-north-carolina-state-quarterback-eagles-draft

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

He sounds intriguing.  I read about him today on the Daily Norseman which had a link to a write up that Bleeding Green Nation had on their site.

Quote:

Standing a 6-4, 240 pounds, no one will question's Brissett's size. He is built like an ideal NFL quarterback, possessing great size to help him both in the pocket and when he is on the move. Brissett has an incredibly strong arm, having the ability to truly threaten any level of the field. Brissett does a great job of winning in the pocket, but he also has plus athletic ability that keeps defenses honest. He has the ability to not only extend plays outside of the pocket, but his size and speed make him a dangerous runner in the open field. From a purely physical standpoint, Brissett is precisely what any team would want in their quarterback; Well built, strong armed and possessing dynamic athletic ability.

As a passer, Brissett's mentality is what makes him so good, yet, somehow, also causes pause to a lot of evaluators. Brissett is an aggressive passer. He wants the big play. Having the arm that he does, his mentality often leads to a lot of splash plays that few other quarterbacks in the country will create. Of course, looking for a big play can also risk turnovers. When a quarterback is constantly firing down the field or testing small windows, there is as much downside as there is upside. Brissett also has a tendency to stick to his reads down the field, missing open guys crossing at the shallow and intermediate levels of the field. So, in a way, his style leaves yardage on the field. Of course this is not a good thing, but I think Brissett's defining trait is certainly not a bad thing.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/10/6/9463975/jacoby-brissett-scouting-report-playmaker-mentality-north-carolina-state-quarterback-eagles-draft

Very good analysis NFL .

He has great size and athleticism, but after one year you are comparing this guy to Andrew Luck??  Luck was going to be number one overall in 2011 and then was in 2012.  One of the highest praised QB's to come out of college in a while and you compare this guy to him?  Do not see it IMO.  He does look like a guy that if he sits behind a great veteran for a few years he can learn (like Aaron Rodgers) and maybe become pretty solid but not a day one starter IMO.  And no I am not comparing him to A.Rodgers in any way.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's not Luck but nobody coming out is. He doesn't look bad though.

I think he looks terrible.  He doesn't read and diagnose particularly well, especially blitzes.  He doesn't identify open receivers with some regularity, and when he does see them, his footwork will cause him to miss them at times.  Throw on top of all that, he gets fidgety in the pocket and will bail too quickly.  Is that all something that he can overcome at the next level?  Possibly, but from a technical standpoint, it's some of the more difficult obstacles to overcome as a quarterback in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think he looks terrible.  He doesn't read and diagnose particularly well, especially blitzes.  He doesn't identify open receivers with some regularity, and when he does see them, his footwork will cause him to miss them at times.  Throw on top of all that, he gets fidgety in the pocket and will bail too quickly.  Is that all something that he can overcome at the next level?  Possibly, but from a technical standpoint, it's some of the more difficult obstacles to overcome as a quarterback in the NFL.

I will definitely take your opinion on this because I am not the best on evaluating talent coming out of college. I just watched his highlights and thought he looked decent. Of course though any youtube video wont show him playing badly either. I watch college ball but not much like you do and many others so I am glad you and many others are here to do mock drafts, etc.. I read them.

He's got Lucks arm strength, competitiveness, and athleticism. What he doesn't have is Luck's movement skills in the pocket and ability to stand tough in the pocket and throw under pressure. But also is always looking down the field for a play like Luck.

I see more Cardale Jones than Luck though. Plus athlete with a big arm but isn't a whole package yet.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will definitely take your opinion on this because I am not the best on evaluating talent coming out of college. I just watched his highlights and thought he looked decent. Of course though any youtube video wont show him playing badly either. I watch college ball but not much like you do and many others so I am glad you and many others are here to do mock drafts, etc.. I read them.

He's definitely got highlights and flashes playmaking ability.  He's just the furthest thing away from a consistent player.  Draftbreakdown.com is a good website to go to if you ever want to watch prospects in the upcoming draft.  Each video shows a player only on the snaps he was on the field (and often they identify with a superimposed circle or square to draw your attention to the player pre-snap) and cuts out all the other plays.  Depending on what position you watch, each video is anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes 15.

Evaluating talent as a hobby isn't as hard as it seems, it just takes time to understand what your looking for and what they mean.  To do it on the granular level that the professionals do it for hundreds of prospects each year - while I think it would be a dream job - is hard (especially when your job is on the line).  

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He's definitely got highlights and flashes playmaking ability.  He's just the furthest thing away from a consistent player.  Draftbreakdown.com is a good website to go to if you ever want to watch prospects in the upcoming draft.  Each video shows a player only on the snaps he was on the field (and often they identify with a superimposed circle or square to draw your attention to the player pre-snap) and cuts out all the other plays.  Depending on what position you watch, each video is anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes 15.

Evaluating talent as a hobby isn't as hard as it seems, it just takes time to understand what your looking for and what they mean.  To do it on the granular level that the professionals do it for hundreds of prospects each year - while I think it would be a dream job - is hard (especially when your job is on the line).  

I hear ya, now when it comes to ranking players and all-time teams in the NFL I think my rankings are among the best. Reason being I even keep it unbiased and study the NFL much more.

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Quote:

He truly does sound like our Mad Bomber.