Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Clemson EDGE, Shaq Lawson

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/shaq-lawson

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/shaq-lawson-1.html

Size: Listed at 6'3", 270 pounds, which is prototypical. Thick build, kind of oddly shaped for an OLB, looks more like a developing 4-3 DE. Powerful. Longish arms. 5/5

Athleticism: Nothing outstanding as an athlete, not great in space, not a great runner, but decent. Has burst out of the block, although is often one of the last off the ball, decent change of direction, good balance, can push off from odd positions and angles with power. I wouldn't use the word "explosive" to describe him, although he shows some flashes of suddenness and has pretty good stop/start ability when rushing the passer. He also covers ground well once he gets going, which allows him to close well. Looks rigid when coming around the corner. 6/10

Hand usage: Excellent swat and rip moves, good hand placement, heavy handed, presses and cleans blockers off of him, long arms allow him to get into the chest of blockers. When he swats you can sometimes see the blockers hands getting thrown all the way in the opposite direction. Sometimes fails to land properly and can be controlled by stronger, longer blockers. Much improved hands from 2013 to 2015. 8/10

Pass rush moves: Has a variety, and they can all be effective from a 2 or 3 point stance. He also sets them up well (see below). Spin, bull rush, rip all work well; his dip has limited effectiveness, as he's not really one to bend the corner sharply. Plays with great leverage, and seems to be able to pick the best move for whatever pass block set he's facing. Gets doubled a lot. One of his best games as a pass rusher was against ND, lined up almost exclusively against Ronnie Stanley. 8/10

Run game: Good awareness of angles and cutback lanes, works hard to set the edge. Defeats edge blockers with power and moves, can't be blocked by college TEs on the strong side. Sometimes gives up the corner when engaged with a blocker. Tough, physical, hard-nosed outside run defender, who gets in on most plays his way. Can chase down the line to get in on plays the other way. Patient in read situations, then aggressively closes when he's diagnosed. Definitely capable of Sam work in a 3-4. 9/10

Misc. Technical: Good awareness, sniffs out screens, recognizes pulls. Not quick off the snap, usually the last one out of his stance, especially when in 3 point. Sometimes abandons contain if he thinks he can make a play. 6/10

Tackling: Great tackler in the box or in the lane, good in a phone booth, powerful arms to make plays one-handed. Not all that great in space. 4/5

Versatility: Can play strong or weak against the run and the pass, and can go from a 2 point or a 3 point stance. A little small for a 4-3 DE, but wouldn't be a liability because he plays strong and with power. Can be washed out against double teams. Not an interior lineman, not a Leo backer. 4/5

Overall: 51/60, 85%, high first rounder; for many, he's the #1 edge rusher in the draft. I don't think he's as good as Beasley or Fowler, but that doesn't matter. 

Scheme fit: 5/5, fits the Colts defensive front well, and would suffice as a DE. He's your prototypical Ravens 3-4 OLB, let's just hope he's better than Courtney Upshaw.

*** This is excellent pass rushing. Watch these two clips: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258040&gif=AffectionateBeautifulBorzoi

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258040&gif=DapperMildGnu

On second down, he uses an inside-out setup, goes speed to power, getting under the blocker and into his chest, driving him several yards into the backfield. If not for the help from the second blocker, he may have gotten a hand on the QB. The very next play, he uses the exact same inside-out setup, then spins to the inside, completely beating the tackle. Would have had a sack, except two blockers tackled him, and he drew the holding flag. Excellent use of multiple tools to set up a very good blocker (Ronnie Stanley, many people think he's the best OT in the draft) on back to back plays. And I especially like that he only takes 2-3 steps to engage and best the blocker in both cases. He's already a savvy pass rusher, and I like that.

Stays too upright to bend the corner, but a dip would have gotten him a strip sack here: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258401&gif=MerryGranularAmericankestrel

Disrespectful, can't block him with a pulling guard, automatic sack: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258401&gif=GloriousTeemingClingfish

Good hands work to cross the blocker, another sack: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258401&gif=BoringVapidFinch

If I have one consistent complaint about draft websites it's that most of them do NOT list a D-lineman as a better fit for one system or another.     Are they more 4-3,  or a better fit in a 3-4.  

And same if they're an OLB.    3-4 or 4-3?     

Not everyone can do both.    I think that's more the exception than the rule.

So, I appreciate that you quickly noted that Lawson is more of a 4-3 DE than anything else.

I was somewhat surprised you saw him a possible fit for a Baltimore 3-4 scheme,  but I suppose you could be right.

But I hate incomplete information.    I hate being left in the dark.   

If you want to flip to the other side of the ball,  I want to know if an OL can play in a zone scheme or man scheme or both.     I think most can play zone,  even if they haven't played it before.    But good feet helps here.    And not everyone can play man or power based scheme.     

More information is always better.    When in doubt,  we want more!

That's why I like the profiles that you and Dustin and others here write.   They have lots of information.

I'm an information guy.    I always want more.

Thanks!                :thmup:

I mocked him to the Colts with my first mock several weeks ago, so I am interested in your analysis.

Based upon your write-up, he sounds like he is NFL ready with a combination of physical talent and developed pass rush skills.  My concern is that if he has a variety of pass rush moves already developed, but lacks elite athleticim for the rush OLB, it seems like his upside is more limited than someone who had more athleticism than pass rush skills.....if that makes sense.  Pass rush skills can be taught in a few years with the NFL, whereas athleticism is more of a god given gift.

With his ability to set the edge and tackle well in a phone booth, he may also be a good fit for Walden's side, but that would not be worth the 18th pick, IMO.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I mocked him to the Colts with my first mock several weeks ago, so I am interested in your analysis.

Based upon your write-up, he sounds like he is NFL ready with a combination of physical talent and developed pass rush skills.  My concern is that if he has a variety of pass rush moves already developed, but lacks elite athleticim for the rush OLB, it seems like his upside is more limited than someone who had more athleticism than pass rush skills.....if that makes sense.  Pass rush skills can be taught in a few years with the NFL, whereas athleticism is more of a god given gift.

With his ability to set the edge and tackle well in a phone booth, he may also be a good fit for Walden's side, but that would not be worth the 18th pick, IMO.

We'll have to see what he does at the combine. Remember that he's been playing at 270 or so. He might drop 15 pounds and be a lot faster.

But from an athletic standpoint, I don't think any 3-4 edge prospect is touching Floyd. Lawson is probably 2nd or 3rd behind him.

I certainly need to watch some tape on Floyd so I'm putting that out there before I comment.  Before I watch the tape to get a better opinion I'm trying to understand why his sack totals are so mediocre?  To me those numbers don't make me want to draft that in the first round as an answer to the Colts pass rushing issues.  Just in my small amt of reading it seems he needs some work in his run defense also.  Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I certainly need to watch some tape on Floyd so I'm putting that out there before I comment.  Before I watch the tape to get a better opinion I'm trying to understand why his sack totals are so mediocre?  To me those numbers don't make me want to draft that in the first round as an answer to the Colts pass rushing issues.  Just in my small amt of reading it seems he needs some work in his run defense also.  Am I missing something here?

Georgia used him at multiple positions so he didn't rush the qb every down. He's undersized and doesn't have much functional strength(really any). What he does have is speed and quickness. I'm not a fan but I can see his upside. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

We'll have to see what he does at the combine. Remember that he's been playing at 270 or so. He might drop 15 pounds and be a lot faster.

But from an athletic standpoint, I don't think any 3-4 edge prospect is touching Floyd. Lawson is probably 2nd or 3rd behind him.

It sounds like there is no Von Miller like OLB/rush guy this year.  Of course, if there were, we couldn't draft him anyway because he would be long gone by pick 18.  Not sure that I want to pick a rush OLB who is only marginally athletic for the position at pick 18

With Supe's write up, I' m more inclined to see what the CB and ILB positions have to offer in this draft. 

And some have suggested releasing Art Jones.  If so, replacing him with a stud 5 tech who can also get penetration ala Henry Anderson can might make for a formidable DL.  So an elite DT is not totally out of the question at 18 either.

1 hour ago, Black0ut117 said:

I wouldnt mind Lawson but i like his teammate Kevin Dodd. I think we might be able to nabb him in the 3rd or somethin like that depending on his combine results.

Dodd was another guy on my radar early on this season, but an awesome college playoff performance has shot his draft stock up to a low 1st to early 2nd round talent. There is of course a lot of determining factors between now and the draft, so nothing is written in stone. It is starting to look like we might have to take Dodd with our 1st round pick, and I believe that would be a huge reach at 18.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

It sounds like there is no Von Miller like OLB/rush guy this year.  Of course, if there were, we couldn't draft him anyway because he would be long gone by pick 18.  Not sure that I want to pick a rush OLB who is only marginally athletic for the position at pick 18

With Supe's write up, I' m more inclined to see what the CB and ILB positions have to offer in this draft. 

And some have suggested releasing Art Jones.  If so, replacing him with a stud 5 tech who can also get penetration ala Henry Anderson can might make for a formidable DL.  So an elite DT is not totally out of the question at 18 either.

It really depends on how much belief people have in guys like Lawson, Ogbah, and even Calhoun to play OLB in a 3-4.

As DE prospects, those 3 guys look like the truth. But a lot of people are skeptical of their ability to play in a 3-4. Ogbah and Lawson are both extremely explosive.

But the Colts could pass on an edge player round 1 and get Calhoun round 2. I would also look at Deforest Buckner round 1. 

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It really depends on how much belief people have in guys like Lawson, Ogbah, and even Calhoun to play OLB in a 3-4.

As DE prospects, those 3 guys look like the truth. But a lot of people are skeptical of their ability to play in a 3-4. Ogbah and Lawson are both extremely explosive.

But the Colts could pass on an edge player round 1 and get Calhoun round 2. I would also look at Deforest Buckner round 1. 

I think the chances of Buckner falling to 18 are somewhere between slim....   and none.

Everything I read says top-10.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the chances of Buckner falling to 18 are somewhere between slim....   and none.

Everything I read says top-10.

You never know. There's usually always 15 or so guys that people say are top 10 locks. And only so many people can go top 10. And Buckner isn't necessarily a Dante Fowler or Khalil Mack, where you know they'll go top 5.

5 hours ago, Black0ut117 said:

I wouldnt mind Lawson but i like his teammate Kevin Dodd. I think we might be able to nabb him in the 3rd or somethin like that depending on his combine results.

I'd say both will go in the 1st. Dodd may fall to the 2nd

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You never know. There's usually always 15 or so guys that people say are top 10 locks. And only so many people can go top 10. And Buckner isn't necessarily a Dante Fowler or Khalil Mack, where you know they'll go top 5.

Buckner is going to basically be Calais Campbell IMO. He wont fall out of the top 5.  I think the Ravens take wither him, Hargreaves, or Ramsey. But Buckner and Anderson would be one heck of a duo wouldn't they?

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Buckner is going to basically be Calais Campbell IMO. He wont fall out of the top 5.  I think the Ravens take wither him, Hargreaves, or Ramsey. But Buckner and Anderson would be one heck of a duo wouldn't they?

I think Tunsil, Bosa, Stanley, whatever QB the Browns take, and Ramsey/Hargreaves are the only top 5 looks. Also Smith since the news on his injury is even better.

But yes, Buckner and Anderson would be quite a run stopping duo.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, I appreciate that you quickly noted that Lawson is more of a 4-3 DE than anything else.

I was somewhat surprised you saw him a possible fit for a Baltimore 3-4 scheme,  but I suppose you could be right.

I re-read my post. I guess I wasn't very clear. I think he's a little small for a 4-3 end, but that's nothing a year in the weight program won't fix. And that's ideal, because I think his body type -- not necessarily size, but frame, the way he's built, where he carries his weight, etc. -- is more like a 4-3 end than a 3-4 OLB. He's built for power, as opposed to Spence, who's more built for speed. 

Still, he looks like Upshaw and Kruger and Dumervil and McPhee, etc., more than Demarcus Ware, for instance.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He might not go top-10.     That's......   possible.

The problem is there's almost another top-10 before the draft reaches 18 where we are.

So,  if he goes 12 or 14 or 16,  he's still not at 18.

And odds are very, very strong he doesn't get past 12.     Put another way,  something bad would likely have to happen for him to get past 12.     Like an injury or a failed drug test (which is always possible)...   but on performance alone....    to get to 18?     Chances remain Slim and None....

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

I re-read my post. I guess I wasn't very clear. I think he's a little small for a 4-3 end, but that's nothing a year in the weight program won't fix. And that's ideal, because I think his body type -- not necessarily size, but frame, the way he's built, where he carries his weight, etc. -- is more like a 4-3 end than a 3-4 OLB. He's built for power, as opposed to Spence, who's more built for speed. 

Still, he looks like Upshaw and Kruger and Dumervil and McPhee, etc., more than Demarcus Ware, for instance.

270-275 = small?     I've not heard that one before....

Not in my world....   but, put another way,  if he's small for a 4-3,  then he's not even close to a scheme fit in a 3-4 where we'd likely want him around 295 or more.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not in my world....   but, put another way,  if he's small for a 4-3,  then he's not even close to a scheme fit in a 3-4 where we'd likely want him around 295 or more.

As for comparing him to those other players.....    Not sure he plays like them...  I believe they were college linebackers....    not college DE.     I could be wrong,  but that's my recollection...

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for comparing him to those other players.....    Not sure he plays like them...  I believe they were college linebackers....    not college DE.     I could be wrong,  but that's my recollection...

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A 4-3 DE in the NFL is smallish at 270 pounds. Not necessarily deficient, but just a little smaller than I'd like. NFL teams put up with 270 pound 4-3 DEs because they can rush the passer really well, and Lawson probably qualifies there. To his advantage he plays with power, and probably isn't a liability against the run.

He would not be a 3-4 DE. I see where I was confusing in scheme fit; I didn't mean he'd fit the Colts system as a 3-4 DE, but I can see how it looks that way. 

He's an edge pass rusher, plain and simple, and I think he's a good fit for any front, as I mentioned in the versatility section. He would be a 3-4 OLB, like the Baltimore guys I listed (and he does play like them, IMO). Or he would be a 4-3 DE, like Charles Johnson or Robert Quinn. And at Clemson, he lined up both in a two-point stance and a three-point stance. He mostly stayed on the right side, and played both strongside and weakside techniques.

I'll try to be more clear when talking about scheme fit from now on, especially for edge rushers. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

A 4-3 DE in the NFL is smallish at 270 pounds. Not necessarily deficient, but just a little smaller than I'd like. NFL teams put up with 270 pound 4-3 DEs because they can rush the passer really well, and Lawson probably qualifies there. To his advantage he plays with power, and probably isn't a liability against the run.

He would not be a 3-4 DE. I see where I was confusing in scheme fit; I didn't mean he'd fit the Colts system as a 3-4 DE, but I can see how it looks that way. 

He's an edge pass rusher, plain and simple, and I think he's a good fit for any front, as I mentioned in the versatility section. He would be a 3-4 OLB, like the Baltimore guys I listed (and he does play like them, IMO). Or he would be a 4-3 DE, like Charles Johnson or Robert Quinn. And at Clemson, he lined up both in a two-point stance and a three-point stance. He mostly stayed on the right side, and played both strongside and weakside techniques.

I'll try to be more clear when talking about scheme fit from now on, especially for edge rushers. 

Sorry,  I probably should've figured that out on my own.     My bad.

I completely disagree about the 270 issue,  but that's nits to pick.

My bigger concern is trying to put a square peg into a round hole.    I'm just not convinced that Lawson can play a 3-4 OLB in a two-point stance.     I'd hate to see another conversion failure along the lines of Werner.

I'm sure he's played some 3-4 OLB,  but I wonder how much,  and how effectively??

This is not a pick we can screw up.....     (Sorry,  didn't mean to state the obvious,  I know you know this...)

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  I probably should've figured that out on my own.     My bad.

I completely disagree about the 270 issue,  but that's nits to pick.

My bigger concern is trying to put a square peg into a round hole.    I'm just not convinced that Lawson can play a 3-4 OLB in a two-point stance.     I'd hate to see another conversion failure along the lines of Werner.

I'm sure he's played some 3-4 OLB,  but I wonder how much,  and how effectively??

This is not a pick we can screw up.....     (Sorry,  didn't mean to state the obvious,  I know you know this...)

I didn't chart it or anything, but I would say he lined up in a two-point stance about 30% of the time. Sometimes he lined up wide to pass rush. Sometimes it depended on strong/weakside formations, sometimes it depended on who was in the backfield, etc. He even dropped into short area zone coverage from time to time, even lining up over slot receivers.

If we're talking about his ability to be a Rush backer, I have no concerns about his conversion to our scheme. I don't think it's much of a conversion at all. He gets the angles, he has an array of pass rush moves, he plays with tenacity... I think he can be a dynamic pass rusher in the NFL because he has pass rusher traits.

You may or may not know, but I don't think Werner's issue has anything to do with his stance or position. As a matter of fact, he's very good at the technical aspects of playing 3-4 OLB -- he takes good angles, he sets the edge well, he stays square (not consistently), he's decent in short area coverage drops, etc. As a Sam backer, he's more than sufficient, IMO. So I don't think he's had an issue converting to 3-4 OLB.

Werner's issue is that he doesn't have high level pass rush traits... or pass rush traits at all, really. No moves, limited flexibility around the corner, substandard hand usage, inconsistent motor, inconsistent push into the backfield, he's not quick off the snap, he doesn't have burst or closing ability, etc. As a pass rusher, he's just another body out there. I don't think it matters whether you line up as a DE or an OLB -- as a matter of fact, if you're lacking in burst and get-off, being in a two-point stance is probably better for you -- if you can't rush the passer, you're wasting everyone's time. And that's Werner.

So my question about any edge rusher is simply whether he can be a dynamic pass rusher in the NFL. I think Lawson has the necessary traits. I question his base athleticism -- quickness, burst, flexibility -- but I think he has the traits needed to be a good pass rusher, and I don't think his ability is dependent on the stance in which he lines up.

Whether that means Lawson is the right pick for the Colts at #18 remains to be seen. I'm not saying he is or isn't just yet. Just that I'm not that concerned with whether he's in a 3-4 or a 4-3.

As always, JMO.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

And based upon my limited time watching Lawson and the write-ups, I tend to agree.

Based upon that, I'd be inclined to not draft Lawson at 18 and look for a player that might have more impact at maybe another position.  Not that the above guys are bad, but I think Kruger, Dumervil, and McPhee, would have been overdrafted if they were picked at 18.  I think we should try to do better.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I didn't chart it or anything, but I would say he lined up in a two-point stance about 30% of the time. Sometimes he lined up wide to pass rush. Sometimes it depended on strong/weakside formations, sometimes it depended on who was in the backfield, etc. He even dropped into short area zone coverage from time to time, even lining up over slot receivers.

If we're talking about his ability to be a Rush backer, I have no concerns about his conversion to our scheme. I don't think it's much of a conversion at all. He gets the angles, he has an array of pass rush moves, he plays with tenacity... I think he can be a dynamic pass rusher in the NFL because he has pass rusher traits.

You may or may not know, but I don't think Werner's issue has anything to do with his stance or position. As a matter of fact, he's very good at the technical aspects of playing 3-4 OLB -- he takes good angles, he sets the edge well, he stays square (not consistently), he's decent in short area coverage drops, etc. As a Sam backer, he's more than sufficient, IMO. So I don't think he's had an issue converting to 3-4 OLB.

Werner's issue is that he doesn't have high level pass rush traits... or pass rush traits at all, really. No moves, limited flexibility around the corner, substandard hand usage, inconsistent motor, inconsistent push into the backfield, he's not quick off the snap, he doesn't have burst or closing ability, etc. As a pass rusher, he's just another body out there. I don't think it matters whether you line up as a DE or an OLB -- as a matter of fact, if you're lacking in burst and get-off, being in a two-point stance is probably better for you -- if you can't rush the passer, you're wasting everyone's time. And that's Werner.

So my question about any edge rusher is simply whether he can be a dynamic pass rusher in the NFL. I think Lawson has the necessary traits. I question his base athleticism -- quickness, burst, flexibility -- but I think he has the traits needed to be a good pass rusher, and I don't think his ability is dependent on the stance in which he lines up.

Whether that means Lawson is the right pick for the Colts at #18 remains to be seen. I'm not saying he is or isn't just yet. Just that I'm not that concerned with whether he's in a 3-4 or a 4-3.

As always, JMO.

I'm not sure I agree with Lawson not being a fit as a 3-4 DE. I think he would do well honestly at either spot. I think its just a matter of adding more weight if you wanted him there full time although I see him as more of a hybrid type player similar to Mcphee.

20 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure I agree with Lawson not being a fit as a 3-4 DE. I think he would do well honestly at either spot. I think its just a matter of adding more weight if you wanted him there full time although I see him as more of a hybrid type player similar to Mcphee.

He's listed at 270. He probably doesn't stay at 270 during the season. If you move him to 3-4 DE, you're asking him to put on 20+ pounds and still be effective. I don't think that's a good decision. If he grows into a 3-4 DE over a couple seasons, that's fine, but for right now, I think he's an edge rusher. 

Nothing wrong with lining him up inside from time to time, which Clemson did. He can terrorize guards, either as a down lineman or as a Joker rusher.

On 1/28/2016 at 2:22 AM, Superman said:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/shaq-lawson

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/shaq-lawson-1.html

Size: Listed at 6'3", 270 pounds, which is prototypical. Thick build, kind of oddly shaped for an OLB, looks more like a developing 4-3 DE. Powerful. Longish arms. 5/5

Athleticism: Nothing outstanding as an athlete, not great in space, not a great runner, but decent. Has burst out of the block, although is often one of the last off the ball, decent change of direction, good balance, can push off from odd positions and angles with power. I wouldn't use the word "explosive" to describe him, although he shows some flashes of suddenness and has pretty good stop/start ability when rushing the passer. He also covers ground well once he gets going, which allows him to close well. Looks rigid when coming around the corner. 6/10

Hand usage: Excellent swat and rip moves, good hand placement, heavy handed, presses and cleans blockers off of him, long arms allow him to get into the chest of blockers. When he swats you can sometimes see the blockers hands getting thrown all the way in the opposite direction. Sometimes fails to land properly and can be controlled by stronger, longer blockers. Much improved hands from 2013 to 2015. 8/10

Pass rush moves: Has a variety, and they can all be effective from a 2 or 3 point stance. He also sets them up well (see below). Spin, bull rush, rip all work well; his dip has limited effectiveness, as he's not really one to bend the corner sharply. Plays with great leverage, and seems to be able to pick the best move for whatever pass block set he's facing. Gets doubled a lot. One of his best games as a pass rusher was against ND, lined up almost exclusively against Ronnie Stanley. 8/10

Run game: Good awareness of angles and cutback lanes, works hard to set the edge. Defeats edge blockers with power and moves, can't be blocked by college TEs on the strong side. Sometimes gives up the corner when engaged with a blocker. Tough, physical, hard-nosed outside run defender, who gets in on most plays his way. Can chase down the line to get in on plays the other way. Patient in read situations, then aggressively closes when he's diagnosed. Definitely capable of Sam work in a 3-4. 9/10

Misc. Technical: Good awareness, sniffs out screens, recognizes pulls. Not quick off the snap, usually the last one out of his stance, especially when in 3 point. Sometimes abandons contain if he thinks he can make a play. 6/10

Tackling: Great tackler in the box or in the lane, good in a phone booth, powerful arms to make plays one-handed. Not all that great in space. 4/5

Versatility: Can play strong or weak against the run and the pass, and can go from a 2 point or a 3 point stance. A little small for a 4-3 DE, but wouldn't be a liability because he plays strong and with power. Can be washed out against double teams. Not an interior lineman, not a Leo backer. 4/5

Overall: 51/60, 85%, high first rounder; for many, he's the #1 edge rusher in the draft. I don't think he's as good as Beasley or Fowler, but that doesn't matter. 

Scheme fit: 5/5, fits the Colts defensive front well, and would suffice as a DE. He's your prototypical Ravens 3-4 OLB, let's just hope he's better than Courtney Upshaw.

*** This is excellent pass rushing. Watch these two clips: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258040&gif=AffectionateBeautifulBorzoi

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258040&gif=DapperMildGnu

On second down, he uses an inside-out setup, goes speed to power, getting under the blocker and into his chest, driving him several yards into the backfield. If not for the help from the second blocker, he may have gotten a hand on the QB. The very next play, he uses the exact same inside-out setup, then spins to the inside, completely beating the tackle. Would have had a sack, except two blockers tackled him, and he drew the holding flag. Excellent use of multiple tools to set up a very good blocker (Ronnie Stanley, many people think he's the best OT in the draft) on back to back plays. And I especially like that he only takes 2-3 steps to engage and best the blocker in both cases. He's already a savvy pass rusher, and I like that.

Stays too upright to bend the corner, but a dip would have gotten him a strip sack here: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258401&gif=MerryGranularAmericankestrel

Disrespectful, can't block him with a pulling guard, automatic sack: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258401&gif=GloriousTeemingClingfish

Good hands work to cross the blocker, another sack: 

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258401&gif=BoringVapidFinch

What's with the "let's hope he is better than Courtney Upshaw"  comment? Don't have an issue with it,  just curious what you mean by that.  

16 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

What's with the "let's hope he is better than Courtney Upshaw"  comment? Don't have an issue with it,  just curious what you mean by that.  

Upshaw isn't as good as we thought he'd be. He has 5 sacks in four seasons.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

He's listed at 270. He probably doesn't stay at 270 during the season. If you move him to 3-4 DE, you're asking him to put on 20+ pounds and still be effective. I don't think that's a good decision. If he grows into a 3-4 DE over a couple seasons, that's fine, but for right now, I think he's an edge rusher. 

Nothing wrong with lining him up inside from time to time, which Clemson did. He can terrorize guards, either as a down lineman or as a Joker rusher.

I see him as more of a Sam than the Rush Backer just due to how powerful he is and how effective he is at setting the edge and creating TFL. I could be wrong but they also use him as the Strongside DE which is similar to the Sam in the run game. Adding a guy like this who appears to have better pass rush potential than Walden and can play multiple spots along with having Mathis at the Rush I think is beneficial. Then turn around and draft a pure Rush Linebacker to replace Werner like a Spence or Ngakoue. Along with another ILB and a DE

Nice write up Superman and of course the added information by yourself and others throughout the thread. I am very high on Shaq and if he is there at 18, and there isn't a better player available, I am hopeful he is drafted by Indy? I like his game and I have to agree his body type does remind me of Suggs as well...it was the first NFL player I likened him to when i first watched him play.