Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ted Monachino strong candidate to be new colts DC

RockThatBlue

11 hours ago, MTC said:

Would be a solid pickup. Helped develop Elvis Dumervil and CJ Mosley.

Dumervil was already developed under Dennis Allen when he was DC of the Broncos under Josh McDaniels, IMO. Elway let him go in Faxgate and the Ravens got themselves an outstanding player opposite T-Sizzle. If not for T-Sizzle going down, that Ravens' D would have posed more issues for the AFC North.

5 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

As I have said countless time the last three years going back to the 4-3 is not the answer 4-3 tampa 2 sucks it never works our defenses when we were 4-3 were much worst than our 2015 defense and that is saying something because this years defense was horrible. My opinion on what is wrong with our defense is that the only like star caliber layer on that defense right now is Davis used to be Mathis but he is just about done.

A proper Tampa 2 is one of the most dominant defenses in football. 

2 minutes ago, jaybird95 said:

I think any defense can be dominant if you have the right players and the right coaches.  Just as any defense can struggle if they don't have the right coaches or players.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think any defense can be dominant if you have the right players and the right coaches.  Just as any defense can struggle if they don't have the right coaches or players.

Then the statement of "Tampa 2 sucks bla bla bla" is irrelevant. 

39 minutes ago, Jonathan24 said:

Can we stop with the old ravens and eagles players and staff already

People tend to want to work with people they know.  Its just reality.  It can develop into a good ol boy network, but at the root of it is familiarity.

Picking a coach that you don't know from reputation and interviewing is really more of a gamble.

5 hours ago, jaybird95 said:

What teams in recent years ran a tampa 2 and had a dominate defense ? I know a version is in every playbook but only the Bears and Vikings still use the Tampa 2 as there base D . I just though with the 2 TE sets and new player safety rules the tampa 2 was a outdated scheme in the NFL .

11 minutes ago, B~Town said:

What teams in recent years ran a tampa 2 and had a dominate defense ? I know a version is in every playbook but only the Bears and Vikings still use the Tampa 2 as there base D . I just though with the 2 TE sets and new player safety rules the tampa 2 was a outdated scheme in the NFL .

Before Lovie was fired the Bears had the #1 defense with the Tampa 2. Vikings still run a version of it to grrat success. Buccaneers are rebuilding, but they still have a competent defense. Just because it isn't used much doesn't mean it's a bad defense. 

13 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

Please.... We took two years to adjust personnel to the 3-4. The 3-4 works. It is proven by other teams. Let's not take another 2 or 3 years to go back to the 4-3.

While I don't think we need to switch to a 4-3 defense, if they were to switch with the current personnel, it would likely be a much easier transition than the original transition from the Tampa 2 4-3 to the hybrid 3-4 that Chuck first installed.  

12 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

As I have said countless time the last three years going back to the 4-3 is not the answer 4-3 tampa 2 sucks it never works our defenses when we were 4-3 were much worst than our 2015 defense and that is saying something because this years defense was horrible. My opinion on what is wrong with our defense is that the only like star caliber layer on that defense right now is Davis used to be Mathis but he is just about done.

Do you realize that there are many other variations of the 4-3 defense other than just Tampa 2?  

1 hour ago, jaybird95 said:

Before Lovie was fired the Bears had the #1 defense with the Tampa 2. Vikings still run a version of it to grrat success. Buccaneers are rebuilding, but they still have a competent defense. Just because it isn't used much doesn't mean it's a bad defense. 

You sure the Vikings are still running a Cover2/Tampa 2 under Zimmer?

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/6/8/8750195/so-what-exactly-is-a-mike-zimmer-defense

Key Scheme Elements of Zimmer's Defense

• 4-3 base scheme, frequent use of 4-2-5 nickel package in passing situations
    • primarily press-man coverage
    • extensive blitz variations, including signature double-A gap blitz formation, but does not blitz frequently
    • Stop the run first mentality

10 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Our D isn't that good right now. How about Ted Marchibroda ? 

That's funny! Well your secondary has been brutally decimated by injuries the last few years...but you've always had and developed good LBs. Yeah its taken a hit since you lost some super stars from that SB but the defense always keeps you guys in ball games and your teams play hard to the finish. I don't know much about this guy so my only real question will be how will he call games...but from a coaching perspective he seems legit.

Just now, dgambill said:

That's funny! Well your secondary has been brutally decimated by injuries the last few years...but you've always had and developed good LBs. Yeah its taken a hit since you lost some super stars from that SB but the defense always keeps you guys in ball games and your teams play hard to the finish. I don't know much about this guy so my only real question will be how will he call games...but from a coaching perspective he seems legit.

He would be alright. You are right, the injuries decimated the defense, or guys coming back from serious injuries . He has done a great job with C.J. Motley and Darrell Smith. Linebackers are not really the problem , its still the secondary. Maybe you can strike lightning with a new Teddy Football ! 

13 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

You realize there are countless defensive schemes you can run from a 4 - 3 base that are not Tampa 2, yes? How about a few examples from a Nickel 4 down lineman D, a 4 - 2 - 5 with any of the following shells:

Cover 0, Cover 1, Cover 3, Cover 4 - prevent, Cover 6 Hybrid shell, and the similar sounding Cover 2 which can run press-man (Cover2 man under), off man, or a Tampa 2 like zone.

There are also many similar 'looks' between some 4-3 and some  3-4 alignments.  not every team using 4 down lineman are running Tampa 2 (though a few are at times).

8 hours ago, jaybird95 said:

And addresses a downfall of the Cover 2 schemes, an athletic Tight end sprinting up the seam for big chunk passing yards.  Tampa2 Mike is speedy and athletic enough to cover that TE down the middle.

15 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You realize there are countless defensive schemes you can run from a 4 - 3 base that are not Tampa 2, yes? How about a few examples from a Nickel 4 down lineman D, a 4 - 2 - 5 with any of the following shells:

Cover 0, Cover 1, Cover 3, Cover 4 - prevent, Cover 6 Hybrid shell, and the similar sounding Cover 2 which can run press-man (Cover2 man under), off man, or a Tampa 2 like zone.

There are also many similar 'looks' between some 4-3 and some  3-4 alignments.  not every team using 4 down lineman are running Tampa 2 (though a few are at times).

Not to mention that any zone coverage with two deep defenders is basically a Cover 2. 

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

People tend to want to work with people they know.  Its just reality.  It can develop into a good ol boy network, but at the root of it is familiarity.

Picking a coach that you don't know from reputation and interviewing is really more of a gamble.

True but you had alot of guys go to cleveland for a reason.  It wasnt because they thought they would have a chance at winning.  My guess it was because they thought the defense would be good because of pettine

9 hours ago, jaybird95 said:

Yeah I'm sure, I've watched enough games to see that different packages they use are primarily a tampa 2 derivative. 

Just because you may see them run Tampa 2 coverage from time to time (as pretty much every team does...from time to time) doesn't mean that's the base defensive scheme.  Zimmer uses a mixture of coverage types, but leans more towards press man coverage than zone.

11 hours ago, Samu-Rye said:

How about Lovie Smith?

How about no?

We're not transitioning back to a base 4-3 as long as Pagano is here. Lovie Smith knows only one thing defensively and that's Tampa 2, which is about as far away from Pagano's scheme as you can get.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Just because you may see them run Tampa 2 coverage from time to time (as pretty much every team does...from time to time) doesn't mean that's the base defensive scheme.  Zimmer uses a mixture of coverage types, but leans more towards press man coverage than zone.

I didn't say it was the base scheme, I answered that it's still used to success. And they run it more frequently than youre stating. Not pretty much every team runs it from time to time. 

1 hour ago, jaybird95 said:

I didn't say it was the base scheme, I answered that it's still used to success. And they run it more frequently than youre stating. Not pretty much every team runs it from time to time. 

well the people you've been responding to about tampa 2 are referring to when it was used as the base defense here.  

In 2011, at one point very late in the season, they showed a graphic during one of the colt broadcasts that showed how often Tampa 2 coverage was used by each team...showing the top 5 teams to utilize Tampa 2...The Colts were, at the time, ranked at the top at using Tampa 2 on slightly more than 50% of defensive snaps.  The next closest team was just slightly over 20%...so...from time to time.

Tampa 2 is a zone coverage that is essentially a modified Cover 2 zone where, instead of covering the intermediate-middle of the field, the MLB drops into deep middle coverage.  It's not really used much at all anymore as a "base defense".  Cover 2 zone is still used as a base defense by a number of teams/coaches, such as Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith etc.  Zimmer, however, is not one of those.  His defense is more predicated (not exclusively of course) on press man coverage than it is on zone.

4 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Tampa 2 is a zone coverage that is essentially a modified Cover 2 zone where, instead of covering the intermediate-middle of the field, the MLB drops into deep middle coverage.  It's not really used much at all anymore as a "base defense".  Cover 2 zone is still used as a base defense by a number of teams/coaches, such as Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith etc.  Zimmer, however, is not one of those.  His defense is more predicated (not exclusively of course) on press man coverage than it is on zone.

I didn't. Say. It was.