Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Henry Anderson's Injury

COLTS449

Does anyone have any new info first of all? And my main question is about his return next year. I think he could be ready by week 1. Is that possible? Whats everyone's thoughts on when he'll be back. I would think at worst he'd just miss like 4 games or so. And you'd also think a DT would be able to come back quicker than say a WR.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Does anyone have any new info first of all? And my main question is about his return next year. I think he could be ready by week 1. Is that possible? Whats everyone's thoughts on when he'll be back. I would think at worst he'd just miss like 4 games or so. And you'd also think a DT would be able to come back quicker than say a WR.

I don't know too much. However, I heard he had both MCL and ACL.   Combo ligament tears are more complex than 1.  also, if the MCL was completely torn it needs to have been addressed immediately, as delay shortens the ligament and make repair difficult.  Then they need to repair the ACL, which has a long rehab.  Was either if these needed/completed yet?

There are studies reporting the those that participate in ACL Pre-hab before surgery recover in <35 weeks vs. those who do not at <43 weeks.  So when were the surgeries performed and you can make an educated guess from there...

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I don't know too much. However, I heard he had both MCL and ACL.   Combo ligament tears are more complex than 1.  also, if the MCL was completely torn it needs to have been addressed immediately, as delay shortens the ligament and make repair difficult.  Then they need to repair the ACL, which has a long rehab.  Was either if these needed/completed yet?

There are studies reporting the those that participate in ACL Pre-hab before surgery recover in <35 weeks vs. those who do not at <43 weeks.  So when were the surgeries performed and you can make an educated guess from there...

See that's what I've been wondering too. I don't remember hearing anything about him having the surgery. But I mean surly he has had it by now. I wouldn't think there's any possible way he still hasn't had it. Hopefully he did the pre-hab like you were talking about. But it would be a major hit going without him for the first 4-5 games. Lets hope he's back week 1 but if not maybe it wont be the full 8 weeks of PUP.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

How long is the pre-hab, and how different is it from the exercise a football player gets anyway? Is that study mostly based on typical patients, or professional athletes? If the pre-hab is 8 weeks, there's no net difference, right?

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

See that's what I've been wondering too. I don't remember hearing anything about him having the surgery. But I mean surly he has had it by now. I wouldn't think there's any possible way he still hasn't had it. Hopefully he did the pre-hab like you were talking about. But it would be a major hit going without him for the first 4-5 games. Lets hope he's back week 1 but if not maybe it wont be the full 8 weeks of PUP.

We had good play at his spot without him, no he can just take his time.

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

How long is the pre-hab, and how different is it from the exercise a football player gets anyway? Is that study mostly based on typical patients, or professional athletes? If the pre-hab is 8 weeks, there's no net difference, right?

Varies (IE: some at 5 weeks) and not necessarily.  To me, definitely more pros than cons in nearly every way. Prehab also sets up the patient therapist relationship early, thus 'setting expectations and demands' beforehand and prepares the patients brain portion of rehab before it even begins.  Here's a site to go to sleep by-

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/938974/

{skip to section 7 for pre-hab info}

Three big items in prehab should include:

• Symmetrical range of motion compared to uninjured side.

• Minimal to no swelling.

• Excellent neuromuscular control and strength of quad.

Typically, patients are started on some of the exercises and activities they can expect after surgery in rehab (single leg squats, single leg stabilization activities, functional lifts -not machine based activities, posterior chain work, etc) so they have a chance to learn them prior to surgery.  The rehab is about training and/or retraining the brain as much as the body and this gives them a jump start on the brain side of the rehab.

I wish there was more info on Anderson.  I do know that yesterday was the absolute busiest day of the year for the Colts Medical staff.  Every player (healthy, nicked up, injured, or on IR) went through an "Exit Physical".  Off season health and recovery plans are then discussed with the players.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Saw a picture of Henry and girlfriend/fiance?   on Instagram the other day.    He was in a suit and looked like his knee was fine.      Said he'll be back to play next season.

Good news.....      :thmup:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Saw a picture of Henry and girlfriend/fiance?   on Instagram the other day.    He was in a suit and looked like his knee was fine.      Said he'll be back to play next season.

Good news.....      :thmup:

He suffered an MCL and ACL. His knee is not fine and he has a long rehabilitation road ahead of him.  Remember, Andrew Luck also kept telling all of the sports world he was definitely going to play again this year.  I don't think he would even be ready for a home playoff game next week, even now!

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He suffered an MCL and ACL. His knee is not fine and he has a long rehabilitation road ahead of him.  Remember, Andrew Luck also kept telling all of the sports world he was definitely going to play again this year.  I don't think he would even be ready for a home playoff game next week, even now!

My point was,  he was not in a cast.   Was not using crutches or a cane.

He looked completely normal and healthy.   

That said,  I'm sure he's not.    I'm sure he's got a good half-year of rehab ahead of him.

All I shared was that his picture stated he was looking forward to being back out on the field for the start of next season.

And Luck's injury, and how he was slow to rehab has NOTHNG to do with Henry's injury.   They are not related at all.     And even if Henry misses the entire 2016 season,  his injury still has NOTHING to with Luck's injury.

No connection.    None.     Using it as an example of anything is a mistake -- pure and simple.

6 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Well it's good to know mathis was well when he came back and he's 10 years older. Anderson is young so it won't be as bad.

Mathis had an achilles injury.     And he wasn't back for the start of the year,  and he was far from game shape when he did start playing.

Anderson's injury is a knee.

They're not comparable.

Such a grueling injury to such a promising player. So sad. He was looking like our best draft choice in this draft before he went down too. If he can come back and still continue to improve, this DL is going to have some serious depth. Watch out if we can get some pass rush and secondary talent.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And even if Henry misses the entire 2016 season,  his injury still has NOTHING to with Luck's injury.

No connection

The point is, you can not take the players word as gospel about his medical condition and future prognosis.  It is generally not reliable and people pinning their hopes on the players comments are often wildly disappointed; as happened with Andrew Luck this year as well. Nothing more, nothing less.

By the same token, listening to organization reports and Head Coach speak may be notably more optimistic than realistic for many teams as well.  I'm going to be candid- If you really want to know about the future of an injured player and are not medically 'connected' or medically educated, search out Dr. David Chao on Monday Morning MD etc... and see if he has mentioned your player's injury and prognosis.  He was once the Chargers team medical doctor/surgeon and performed many surgeries on their players for years, mostly at season conclusion.  His opinion will be very close to what to expect in recovery/rehab, not the Team speak "two to six weeks" type quips.

Plus I've heard that you can subtract off a month or so because the last "phase" of recovery is mostly about how comfortable the player feels. RGIII came back after his ACL tear in January by week 1 because he was comfortable enough to come back.

Same thing with Gurley. The Rams were just safe with him. He could've easily started week 1.

He went down week 9.  And knees are most of your physical stability when you're a trench player.  Being constantly pushed, bumped, and fell on by 300+ lb. guys over and over every play.  This is an Injury where He'd have to be %110 healthy before returning for a single snap.  Giving his youth, combined with the promise he showed the first 1/2 of his rookie season,...Indy should/probably not even let him practiceuntil he's %100.