Gruden/Shanahan interested in colts HC job [Merge]

gnet550

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Swan Ronson said:

Surely being able to win a Super Bowl with someone else's team is a plus. Especially if that person wasn't able to do so.

What a lot of folks seem to forget is that Gruden also built the Raiders team Tampa defeated in the SB.

3 hours ago, buck_hunter21 said:

Luke will have a lot of guys interested I am sure.

And for what its worth....Pagano can't be "axed". His contract is up....he just walks, not "axed."

Yes he can because if he stays he's still under the same contract so if he isn't with indy he's fired

2 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I'm not sure but he didn't have no tampa 2 defense in oakland they been running man coverage for years

Jon gruden is 60-57 as Tampa head coach he is overall he is bearly a .500 head coach and he was exposed as soon as dungy talent dried up and aged 

1 minute ago, jbaron04 said:

Jon gruden is 60-57 as Tampa head coach he is overall he is bearly a .500 head coach and he was exposed as soon as dungy talent dried up and aged 

100-87 as his career record that's good alot coaches can't say that....he's a good coach alot of teams would be interested in him if he said he was looking for a coaching job now

58 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Shanahan automatically makes a team a great running team.  Gruden automatically makes a QB better.  Shanahan just likes to coach and that's why he would take the job.  Gruden, however, would only take a job that he thinks he can win it all.  He's turned down many offers over the years.    I am torn.  Both would be hard to get along with I think.

I said this before.  It may have been Gruden just talking up the Colts since he always has good things to say about everybody...

But a few weeks ago on MNF he said on TV that the Colts roster "has very good players"...and this was the time of the year where the media narrative was that the Colts had nobody other than Luck.  I found it odd that he would cut across the narrative so boldly.  He may not push for wholesale changes and could work with the current personnel staff with no problems if he in fact thinks the roster is very good already. 

41 minutes ago, ALL BLUE said:

So what is the answer?

#1. He's paid more than pretty much every NFL coach.  Save for Belicheck and a few other high profile coaches - 6 total last I checked.

#2.  The coaching vacancies that have cropped up (and in particular, the ones that he's associated with) each offseason prior to this one at least, have been undesirable teams or coach/gm pairings.  He's made it no secret that he didn't like coaching when he hasn't been able to control and coach his own teams, including player acquisitions.  He hasn't said he wants to come back coaching in particular, but reading between the lines, it seems he might do it if the situation was right.

Absolutely nothing to do with his inability to coach.  He was a fine coach.  Maybe he's not the legend some seem to make him out to be, but he's at least a good coach.

2 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Shanahan?  Is this a joke?  He has a great setup and wins two Super Bowls.  Then did nothing after that.  Bombed in Washington.  NO WAY!  Plus, Irsay said 4 years ago he doesn't want to recycle HCs or GMs.

I would prefer Pagano as HC, Chud as OC, a new DC, and a new GM.

2 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Shanahan?  Is this a joke?  He has a great setup and wins two Super Bowls.  Then did nothing after that.  Bombed in Washington.  NO WAY!  Plus, Irsay said 4 years ago he doesn't want to recycle HCs or GMs.

I would prefer Pagano as HC, Chud as OC, a new DC, and a new GM.

This glitch is getting really annoying

32 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Tony acquired all that talent did he?

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Shanahan made the playoffs with guys like Jake Plummer and Brian Griese....with one playoff win over the Patriots.

He made the playoffs with RG3....that alone should get him into the HOF.

I ain't so hot on Shanahan based on his teams from the most recent set of seasons from when Peyton was our quarterback all the way up to RG3.  I will say he did his best with Elway and he hasn't had anybody like that since then.  I know when we had Peyton we always destroyed whatever defensive scheme he and his coordinators decided to employ.  I think he'd have some good offensive game plans for us and the running game would be potent and alive, but I'm kind of worried about what we'd look like on the defensive side of the football.  He'd probably want to mirror what they did with Denver during the Super Bowl years and go back to the Cover 2.  Or maybe a Cover 3 zone team like Seattle.   I'm just not sure what he'd be looking for on the defensive side of the ball.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You're the only one I see it happen to.  I don't suspect you'd be surprised to find out that someone or something held a grudge against you...?

I have skipped church all these years

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I ain't so hot on Shanahan based on his teams from the most recent set of seasons from when Peyton was our quarterback all the way up to RG3.  I will say he did his best with Elway and he hasn't had anybody like that since then.  I know when we had Peyton we always destroyed whatever defensive scheme he and his coordinators decided to employ.  I think he'd have some good offensive game plans for us and the running game would be potent and alive, but I'm kind of worried about what we'd look like on the defensive side of the football.  He'd probably want to mirror what they did with Denver during the Super Bowl years and go back to the Cover 2.   I'm just not sure what he'd be looking for on the defensive side of the ball.

I don't want him, but people need to stop acting like he was a total failure after the Elway years.  Those same people were probably calling Elway an overrated choker before the back to back Super Bowls.

On 1/4/2016 at 9:31 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

#1. He's paid more than pretty much every NFL coach.  Save for Belicheck and a few other high profile coaches - 6 total last I checked.

#2.  The coaching vacancies that have cropped up (and in particular, the ones that he's associated with) each offseason prior to this one at least, have been undesirable teams or coach/gm pairings.  He's made it no secret that he didn't like coaching when he hasn't been able to control and coach his own teams, including player acquisitions.  He hasn't said he wants to come back coaching in particular, but reading between the lines, it seems he might do it if the situation was right.

Absolutely nothing to do with his inability to coach.  He was a fine coach.  Maybe he's not the legend some seem to make him out to be, but he's at least a good coach.

I'm always leery of a Coach that isn't coaching by his own choice for a prolonged absence.  It went well for Vermeil, but I don't have an overall positive association with it.  A coach can't not coach...you get off schedule and your mind/body doesn't really want to pay the price it used to once you get out of rhythm.  Or, they get used to an easier rhythm. 

Cowher left for the right reasons, family reasons, but I think the reason he doesn't come back is that he knows he doesn't want to pay that price anymore.

50 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I'm not sure but he didn't have no tampa 2 defense in oakland they been running man coverage for years

I'm not sure what he'd decide on if we went that route.  I do believe they had a pretty hard nose 3-4 defense with Oakland though.  He could go either way.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure what he'd decide on if we went that route.  I do believe they had a pretty hard nose 3-4 defense with Oakland though.  He could go either way.

According to Venturi Tampa always played man coverage in tough situations.  He and Gruden are friends.

Just now, Superman said:

Setting aside Gruden and Shanahan?

I think Hue Jackson is my top candidate right now. I'm tempted by Josh McDaniels, despite the obvious.

Yes - aside from Gruden and Shanahan.

Like both of those guys.  Re: McDaniels, I always thought he brought a schematic advantage when the Pats played Indy.  Certainly Brady and BB helped that, but I think McDaniels has a bright future.  

Just now, jskinnz said:

Yes - aside from Gruden and Shanahan.

Like both of those guys.  Re: McDaniels, I always thought he brought a schematic advantage when the Pats played Indy.  Certainly Brady and BB helped that, but I think McDaniels has a bright future.  

The stuff the Pats did offensively against the Colts in 2013 and 2014 was impressive. Their blocking schemes and stubborn adherence to keep churning out yards as long as the defense was unable to figure it out up front, despite having a QB like Brady, is the kind of gameplanning I like. Then they go spread against the next team, and it's almost seamless.

The problem is that he's a Belichick disciple, and they have a history of not working out (kind of predictable). He also didn't do a good job of managing his players and staff when he was in Denver, which led to him being shown the door. But I think he kind of has to be on the list.  

Just now, Superman said:

The stuff the Pats did offensively against the Colts in 2013 and 2014 was impressive. Their blocking schemes and stubborn adherence to keep churning out yards as long as the defense was unable to figure it out up front, despite having a QB like Brady, is the kind of gameplanning I like. Then they go spread against the next team, and it's almost seamless.

The problem is that he's a Belichick disciple, and they have a history of not working out (kind of predictable). He also didn't do a good job of managing his players and staff when he was in Denver, which led to him being shown the door. But I think he kind of has to be on the list.  

Like you, and not that it matters one iota, am not afraid of his failings in Denver.  I can't imagine that he went through that experience and failed to learn from it.  That has to make him a better coach for his next stop.