Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Thought On Fisher

turner46992

1st. I didnt know if to post this in NFL only or Colts section, so Seeing how it has something to do with the colts...I went with Colts section.

2nd. Fisher has Visited with Dolphins and the Rams. He even toured the Rams Facility, but he hasnt confirmed he is taking their coaching position available.

Question:

1.Do you guys think it could possible that he is wanting to see what Irsay is doing with caldwell?

2.Do you guys think he really wants to come to Indy if Manning is back?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth is this guy a HOT COMMODITY?I just don't get it.What has he ever done,other than get crushed by us twice a year?He's .500 coach at best.

Agreed

A lot of people think bringing in a coach that has made a name for himself, an extremely mediocre name at that, is the best candidate we could possibly bring in. I'm not a big fan of his. Yeah he was with Tennessee for a while, it's not like he ever really did much with them.

Why on earth is this guy a HOT COMMODITY?I just don't get it.What has he ever done,other than get crushed by us twice a year?He's .500 coach at best.

Well he took the Titans to a Super Bowl and at least two other AFCCG games. He has a repuation of doing more with less than any other coach in the NFL and was the longest tenured coach in the NFL till last season. You don't last as long as he did and not be good at your job. Is he one of the greatest ever? No. Is he the best coach on the market that wants to get back into coaching? I'd say there is a pretty good chance that's true.

Actually I'd like to see a younger, yet proven coach as Indy's next HC, but this is only a wish. As far as I can see there are not much available coach on the market, and Fisher is the "Most Wanted" among them.

I don't have any information about collage football coaches...would be there any, who fits Indy's requirements (rebuilding the team, modernizing play schemes, good matching, being able to handle the players)???

Anyway, what are our expectations to the new HC??? (...besides: WIN)

Perhaps I've turned to be off topic.

Actually I'd like to see a younger, yet proven coach as Indy's next HC, but this is only a wish. As far as I can see there are not much available coach on the market, and Fisher is the "Most Wanted" among them.

I don't have any information about collage football coaches...would be there any, who fits Indy's requirements (rebuilding the team, modernizing play schemes, good matching, being able to handle the players)???

Anyway, what are our expectations to the new HC??? (...besides: WIN)

Perhaps I've turned to be off topic.

Typically college coaches have much difficultly making the transition.

I could care about the new HC's age. Frankly, I've wanted 'ol Dick Labeau here for years. He would be a great HC in my estimation.

I would like to see one of Harboughs here. But I think neither Harboughs nor LeBeau is available yet.

Correct. The brothers are in lock-down in their respective cities and I believe Dick claimed some time ago he had no interest in being a HC. Can't say I blame him for that either.

As long as we get Manning back going again and a new philosophy on defense, I could care less if they hired a cardboard cut-out of Mike Ditka to be our coach.

IF we get back a healthy 100% Manning, and have new DC, OC and special team coordinator... even I could be a HC.

I wonder where this Jeff Fisher thread will turn to... Caldwell is still the HC, and as long as we don1t know our new GM, this won't change.

I think by knowing our new GM can we start threads about new HC.

Anyway Fisher seems like to be waiting on Irsay's call.

As long as we get Manning back going again and a new philosophy on defense, I could care less if they hired a cardboard cut-out of Mike Ditka to be our coach.

A cutout of Ditka would actually be a big improvement over Caldwell! I've been telling my buddy for 2yrs now that a lifesize cardboard cutout of Vince Lombardi would be 10x the coach that Caldwell is lol

Typically college coaches have much difficultly making the transition.

I could care about the new HC's age. Frankly, I've wanted 'ol Dick Labeau here for years. He would be a great HC in my estimation.

Does everyone forget Lebeau's tenure as HC at Cincinnati? Those were terrible teams...of course it is hard to win in Cincinnati for any coach. But he still stunk as a head coach....that little blemish is conveniently forgotten. He is great coordinator/bad HC material, like Wade Phillips but with a better coordinator resume. I would take him as a DC in a minute, but he doesnt want to be a HC esp. after the Bengals disaster

Yeah, New Gm is in...Caldwell could be out! Who fills in his shoes(not really that big of shoes to fill).

People question Why we want fisher...Well...Fisher is a better candidate than some one like Hue Jackson, or Tony sparano.

Would you rather see those guys on the sidelines or Fisher?

Id take fisher every time

Well he took the Titans to a Super Bowl and at least two other AFCCG games. He has a repuation of doing more with less than any other coach in the NFL and was the longest tenured coach in the NFL till last season. You don't last as long as he did and not be good at your job. Is he one of the greatest ever? No. Is he the best coach on the market that wants to get back into coaching? I'd say there is a pretty good chance that's true.

Took the Titans to the Super Bowl 12 years ago. TWELVE YEARS.

And this reputation of "doing more with less" is, excuse my bluntness, hogwash. They didn't do very much of anything in the years after the Super Bowl. Several losing seasons, not a great defense (and he's supposed to be a defensive-minded coach), chased his quarterbacks out of town... I don't get the admiration.

Not to say that he's not an okay coach. He's definitely better than Caldwell. Had he been our coach last year, we wouldn't have started 0-13. But this fascination with him is just crazy, if you ask me.

Yeah, New Gm is in...Caldwell could be out! Who fills in his shoes(not really that big of shoes to fill).

People question Why we want fisher...Well...Fisher is a better candidate than some one like Hue Jackson, or Tony sparano.

Would you rather see those guys on the sidelines or Fisher?

Id take fisher every time

I actually like Hue Jackson. He is a less conservative, more fiery version of Marvin Lewis. He got a raw deal in Oakland, imo. That team was looking great until it lost all its playmakers for the second half of the season. Plus, the name Hue is awesome!

I actually like Hue Jackson. He is a less conservative, more fiery version of Marvin Lewis. He got a raw deal in Oakland, imo. That team was looking great until it lost all its playmakers for the second half of the season. Plus, the name Hue is awesome!

So Hue Jackson is a good coach because the Raiders were doing well until he lost all his playmakers but Caldwell is a bad coach because he did well until he lost his playmakers (including the best playmaker in the NFL). I'm having trouble following that logic.

And this reputation of "doing more with less" is, excuse my bluntness, hogwash. They didn't do very much of anything in the years after the Super Bowl. Several losing seasons, not a great defense (and he's supposed to be a defensive-minded coach), chased his quarterbacks out of town... I don't get the admiration.

Not to say that he's not an okay coach. He's definitely better than Caldwell. Had he been our coach last year, we wouldn't have started 0-13. But this fascination with him is just crazy, if you ask me.

I don't understand the fascination either. If he did become the Colts HC, I'd be like okay that's good. If not I'd be like okay that's good. Now (and this will never happen) but Jeff Fisher as the DC would be excellent. His defenses were usually tough and very adaptable to change based on player personnel.

I don't understand the fascination either. If he did become the Colts HC, I'd be like okay that's good. If not I'd be like okay that's good. Now (and this will never happen) but Jeff Fisher as the DC would be excellent. His defenses were usually tough and very adaptable to change based on player personnel.

His defenses weren't even that tough, though. As a DC, he'd probably be really good, but I'm not basing that off of his results as the Titans head coach. The results there were ... erratic.

I've said over and over again, I don't dislike him. I just don't understand why he's such a hot commodity. I think I get why Colts fans like him (he wore the Manning jersey, and he called all those onside kicks in 2004), but I don't understand why people think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

So Hue Jackson is a good coach because the Raiders were doing well until he lost all his playmakers but Caldwell is a bad coach because he did well until he lost his playmakers (including the best playmaker in the NFL). I'm having trouble following that logic.

For me, it's not the fact that we lost games. It's the way in which we lost them, over and over again, every week. I feel like either our staff was asleep at the switch, or they thought they were doing the right things. Either of those is problematic, if you ask me.

Ummm, did I say Caldwell was a bad coach? Just because I think Hue is a good coach doesn't mean I think Caldwell is a bad coach...you assuming that is faulty logic.

If you read posts I've made in other threads, you would know that I am not saying its a must that he is fired. I supported JC throughout his time as HC up until week 4 and then began losing faith because of a lack of adjustments (e.g., continuing to run the offense and defense like PM was behind center). However, with the Polian firing, I cut JC some slack because it led me to believe that Polian had as much or more to do with the lack of adjustments as Caldwell. Irsay knows way more about the situation than we do and the Polians are gone and JC stuck around...so he obviously places more blame on them than JC. This is all speculation and how I read the situation obviously.

That being said, I do think Caldwell struggles with game management/decisions/adjustments, and Hue does not (I watched a lot of Oakland games this year). I like Hue's aggressiveness...he has some Payton in him and I think that's the direction that offenses are heading and should based on statistic analysis (fake punts, going for it on 4-1, etc.). One area where Caldwell is no doubt better than Hue is discipline. Oak was the most penalized team this year, but some of this falls on the type of players as well I would think. Oakland always has a ton of penalties for some reason.

Do you have an opinion on Hue, or did you just come here to throw stones? BTW, I'm glad to see you are back, I always enjoy your posts, with this one maybe being an exception. :shake:

One area where Caldwell is no doubt better than Hue is discipline. Oak was the most penalized team this year, but some of this falls on the type of players as well I would think. Oakland always has a ton of penalties for some reason.

That predates Hue Jackson in Oakland, and it predates Caldwell in Indy. I'd give the credit for so few penalties to Dungy mostly.

Ummm, did I say Caldwell was a bad coach? Just because I think Hue is a good coach doesn't mean I think Caldwell is a bad coach...you assuming that is faulty logic.

I thought I read other posts of yours in other threads that talks about how you don't think Caldwell is a good coach, it's possible I mixed monikers and if I did, I apologize for attributing comments to you that are not yours.
If you read posts I've made in other threads, you would know that I am not saying its a must that he is fired. I supported JC throughout his time as HC up until week 4 and then began losing faith because of a lack of adjustments (e.g., continuing to run the offense and defense like PM was behind center). However, with the Polian firing, I cut JC some slack because it led me to believe that Polian had as much or more to do with the lack of adjustments as Caldwell. Irsay knows way more about the situation than we do and the Polians are gone and JC stuck around...so he obviously places more blame on them than JC. This is all speculation and how I read the situation obviously.

That being said, I do think Caldwell struggles with game management/decisions/adjustments, and Hue does not (I watched a lot of Oakland games this year). I like Hue's aggressiveness...he has some Payton in him and I think that's the direction that offenses are heading and should based on statistic analysis (fake punts, going for it on 4-1, etc.). One area where Caldwell is no doubt better than Hue is discipline. Oak was the most penalized team this year, but some of this falls on the type of players as well I would think. Oakland always has a ton of penalties for some reason.

Do you have an opinion on Hue, or did you just come here to throw stones? BTW, I'm glad to see you are back, I always enjoy your posts, with this one maybe being an exception. :shake:

Not throwing stones just didn't understand the logic. And yes I don't think Hue is a very good coach. I get a lot of Raider football where I live in California and things really fell apart for him when Davis passed away. He tried to take over the entire organization rather than focusing on football and, IMO, that is not the type of coach a team wants especially one with a first time, young GM.

His defenses weren't even that tough, though. As a DC, he'd probably be really good, but I'm not basing that off of his results as the Titans head coach. The results there were ... erratic.

They were until what 2008 or 2007 when the GM, Reinfedt I think, took over the reigns and started making player decisions rather than letting Fisher handle it.
I've said over and over again, I don't dislike him. I just don't understand why he's such a hot commodity. I think I get why Colts fans like him (he wore the Manning jersey, and he called all those onside kicks in 2004), but I don't understand why people think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I totally agree. I think he's a good coach but not a guarantee trip to the SB like so many think. Oh well it's a moot issue now as he's going to sunny Miami.

Yeah and kept his job for what 14 years? That's saying something. Also how many other coaches on the market, that want to go into coaching, right now can say they took a team to the Super Bowl at all? Jim Caldwell (if fired) and Mike Martz? That's about it.

You might not get his admiration but others give it to him. He took a Kerry Collins lead team to home field in the playoffs. People looked at his roster and frankly viewed it from top to bottom as having less talent than most teams in his division so that's what he got credit for. He had really only a handful of superstars during his career of coaching and most of them came early in his career when they were going to Super Bowls and AFCCG. Then the GM left and his talent pool went down to the point a lot of people figured he would get fired because he didn't have enough talent. What did he do lead that Titans team to the playoffs and came back the next year and got homefield for the playoffs. That's where doing more with less came from. You can call it hogwash if you want but a lot of people don't agree with your view on that as I am sure people don't agree with mine. That's fine.

I thought I read other posts of yours in other threads that talks about how you don't think Caldwell is a good coach, it's possible I mixed monikers.

Not throwing stones just didn't understand the logic. And yes I don't think Hue is a very good coach. I get a lot of Raider football where I live in California and things really fell apart for him when Davis passed away. He tried to take over the entire organization rather than focusing on football and, IMO, that is not the type of coach a team wants especially one with a first time, young GM.

I was hard on Caldwell for most of the year, but backed off once the Polians were let go...so you could be remembering correctly. We are allowed to change our mind once certain events happen, yes? I'm indifferent on JC at this point.

I don't think Hue's skills at running the entire organization (was it him or was it Davis' son who wanted him to do it...no way we really can know) speak to his coaching ability. He did a lot of good things in Cincy, and I generally liked the way Oakland game planned and the accountability Hue took when schemes didn't work out and how he worked to fix them. I'm not saying he is the next great coach, but I do think he is solid. He's no worse of a candidate than Fisher...

They were until what 2008 or 2007 when the GM, Reinfedt I think, took over the reigns and started making player decisions rather than letting Fisher handle it.

No, they weren't.

Worst in the league in 2006, below average in 2004 and 2005, below average in 2001. Very up and down. Had some really good years, most recently in 2008, but they weren't this defensive juggernaut like people like to say.

I totally agree. I think he's a good coach but not a guarantee trip to the SB like so many think. Oh well it's a moot issue now as he's going to sunny Miami.

Yeah, we agree. I don't mean to nitpick. I've just been really thinking about this whole Jeff Fisher phenomena for over a year now, because people keep saying he's a great coach and we should hire him at all costs. And now, he's the first name out of anyone's mouth, and the media have made it clear that he's the #1 prospect available right now, and I just DO NOT GET IT.