Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have a question for some of the people here

12isthenew18

Many have us winning the division and wanting us going to the playoffs because it's so important. But then you say we have no shot we need to enter but go one and done or 1-1 in the playoffs. Well What is the point of going to the playoffs without hoping or going to win the superbowl. You're basically blowing smoke. 

Some people can't delay instant gratification (a meaningless win now) for a greater good (draft status/getting this regime out of Indy). I suppose these same people were rooting for wins against Minnesota in '97 or against Jacksonville in '11. I don't know,  maybe they think it makes them a better fan

19 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

Some people can't delay instant gratification (a meaningless win now) for a greater good (draft status/getting this regime out of Indy). I suppose these same people were rooting for wins against Minnesota in '97 or against Jacksonville in '11. I don't know,  maybe they think it makes them a better fan

Never believed in a *meaningless win.* Players play to win. Organizations exist to win. I root fot the team to win.  You may not want your team to win for whatever reason, but I, personally, feel bad whenever the Colts lose.

High draft choice, lower draft choice - meh.  I just want us to win.

I think I can answer this someway.  There is a great deal of people on here that know little to nothing about football.  They will read a post someone else makes and take that as fact.  Almost like dittosheads.  Just try it sometime and you will see.  If one person says Castonzo should be a right tackle, then they all say it.  I cringe when I read someone bring up like Sean Payton and know that will be repeated 20 times.

I think the bottom line is, they want to complain about something.  These are the same people who wanted Polian, a Hall of Famer, to be chased out of town because they think great GMs just grow on trees.  That is why there are like 5 teams that draft well in the NFL.

So they hope the Colts get to the playoffs and lose so then they have something to complain about until next season.  

5 hours ago, SteelDragon said:

Huh?

If you delay it, it isn't instant, so..........you mean some people only want instant gratification(?).

Because believe it or not the players on the team didn't make it to where they are by not believing in themselves. And you will never get anywhere if you expect to fail. If they get in the playoffs I hope they believe they can win it all, whether they are a long shot or a favorite. 

Let me ask you this....

How many draft picks come in and turn a non playoff team into a SB contender?

So why put your focus on that? It just doesn't happen very often.

You have to try and do as well as you can in everything, whether its in the preseason or postseason, during practice or walkthrough, as well as in free agency & the draft. It doesn't really matter whether you pick #1 or #32, if you don't always give 100%, you will not succeed at any of it. And you never plan on losing, just like you never plan on busting in the first round. Its a culture. 

6 hours ago, SteelDragon said:

#1: I assume you're referring to the game last week.  Since when does winning a game that almost ensures securing the 4 seed in the playoffs a "meaningless win".

#2: IMO, the only way this regime would have been saved would be if they made it to the SB.  Even then they might have had to win the SB to save the regime.

#3: It's one thing if you have a shot for an elite player, and especially an elite QB,  at the top of the draft (the other drafts you're referring to).  However, drafting 14-18 vs. 21 in the draft is not terribly significant.  Not enough to wish the team would lose to gain that little bit of benefit.  Especially this year were there are no real clear cut elite players.

Last I looked the Colts had nearly the highest SOS (if not the highest) amongst the 5/6 win teams.  So they will be drafting after those teams.  There are currently 18 teams with 6 or fewer wins.  Draft position will not be top 10/12 as some have been stating.   If they went to the playoffs and lost in the first round, they would be drafting 21st (or possibly 22nd if the NFC east winner ended up losing in the first round and having the same record).  if they won in the first round then 25th.

IMO, the impact of the higher draft position this year has been greatly exaggerated.  if you're in the playoffs and Luck is back healthy, I think it's worth the shot.  Plenty of WC teams have won Super Bowls.

22 hours ago, 12isthenew18 said:

Many have us winning the division and wanting us going to the playoffs because it's so important. But then you say we have no shot we need to enter but go one and done or 1-1 in the playoffs. Well What is the point of going to the playoffs without hoping or going to win the superbowl. You're basically blowing smoke. 

Most people here have no idea how to build a long term winner or the slightest clue of strategy. They'd rather go one and done in the playoffs (and there's been posts on these boards and in chat during games that people would knowingly go one and done just to have a chance) just to watch the Colts on TV and enjoy making it there, rather than lose out and get a player that can help us for the next decade while Luck is here. One person said they'd rather go 8-8 instead of 6-10 and still miss the playoffs just so they don't have a losing record which is even more ridiculous. These people don't pay attention to the draft or how it can help us. As said above, they want instant gratification, and selfish put a meaningless playoff game that we'll lose anyway just for a few hours of entertainment, over getting a franchise RT like Taylor Decker. Or a elite ILB like Jaylon Smith or an elite pass rush rusher like Myles Jack. These are players of need and value we can get if we lose out that greatly benefit the team (contrary to what people say that a few spots don't matter). 

We lost to the Steelers by 35, the JAGUARS by 36, and we couldn't score 1 point against the Texans in the 2nd half. Also, Luck is still out and if he returns, he won't be 100%. These people are crazy on these boards when it comes to common sense, and when it comes to football strategy, a few of them have the wisdom of dirt.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Most people here have no idea how to build a long term winner or the slightest clue of strategy. They'd rather go one and done in the playoffs (and there's been posts on these boards and in chat during games that people would knowingly go one and done just to have a chance) just to watch the Colts on TV and enjoy making it there, rather than lose out and get a player that can help us for the next decade while Luck is here. One person said they'd rather go 8-8 instead of 6-10 and still miss the playoffs just so they don't have a losing record which is even more ridiculous. These people don't pay attention to the draft or how it can help us. As said above, they want instant gratification, and selfish put a meaningless playoff game that we'll lose anyway just for a few hours of entertainment, over getting a franchise RT like Taylor Decker. Or a elite ILB like Jaylon Smith or an elite pass rush rusher like Myles Jack. These are players of need and value we can get if we lose out that greatly benefit the team (contrary to what people say that a few spots don't matter). 

We lost to the Steelers by 35, the JAGUARS by 36, and we couldn't score 1 point against the Texans in the 2nd half. Also, Luck is still out and if he returns, he won't be 100%. These people are crazy on these boards when it comes to common sense, and when it comes to football strategy, a few of them have the wisdom of dirt.

What a load of crap.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have to chuckle at the thought that those 5 or 6 positions higher in the middle of the draft are going to have this dramatic impact you're imagining.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets hear your rebuttal then. I'm up for a good debate.

There's no basis for a rebuttal. Your post consists of insulting the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you, and misrepresenting their viewpoint to make yourself sound smarter. From the first sentence to the last, it's a diatribe that lacks any real substance, attacking strawman arguments, using false causes, black or white assumptions, and several other logical fallacies that make me regret that I even took the time to read it.

That's not 100% your fault. The OP to which you responded is baseless nonsense to begin with.

Also, Myles Jack isn't a pass rusher.

1 minute ago, ponyboy said:

I have to chuckle at the thought that those 5 or 6 positions higher in the middle of the draft are going to have this dramatic impact you're imagining.

Obviously you aren't paying attention to the draft. Lots of solid players are going in the 10-15 range like Taylor Decker, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack, and even Reggie Ragland. All at positions of need for us. You probably have no idea who these guys are or where they are going in the draft. I want one of these guys, not some mid to late 1st rounder that will probably bust. Look them up and study the draft, you really are sounding foolish with this post.

Luck needs to be shelved for the rest of the season, and I saw on ESPN he will not play against Miami, so the Tenn. game will probably be meaningless and he should not play. The odds for Houston to take the division are now 90%, so I would rather have 6-7 wins, pick around the number 10-15 slot, and protect the most vital asset we have, and get ready for the changes that are coming.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's no basis for a rebuttal. Your post consists of insulting the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you, and misrepresenting their viewpoint to make yourself sound smarter. From the first sentence to the last, it's a diatribe that lacks any real substance, attacking strawman arguments, using false causes, black or white assumptions, and several other logical fallacies that make me regret that I even took the time to read it.

That's not 100% your fault. The OP to which you responded is baseless nonsense to begin with.

Also, Myles Jack isn't a pass rusher.

Fine, tell me a counterpoint then on why we should pass up borderline franchise players that could put this team over the top when Luck is 100% next year, for a playoff run in which we have literally 0% chance? There is 0% benefit to it except we get to watch the Colts play an extra game. Either Hasselback stinks up the joint, or we play with Luck and he has a high chance of getting re-injured and we lose anyway. Give me your argument for not getting a top 10 value player of need in the draft and I will quit the insults.

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, thanks for setting all of us straight.  I know after reading this post I wish you were GM because you are one squared away dude who knows it all.

1. Well, except for a few things:
  2.  When you're building a team there really is no, take this player or this player or this player.  That's not how it works in the real world... the team has to pick a player.
  3. The idea that a team can only find players that will help them for the next decade in the first part of the draft is ridiculous:  I mean just off the top of my head guys in the later part of the draft that helped the Colts for around a decade are, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Marvin Harrison, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, 
  4. There is a greater chance that a person taken earlier in the draft will be a bust.  They actually devote whole websites to it.  I mean, I'm sure you never liked a player and they ended up being a bust but it happens to the mere mortal people who try to do it for a living.
  5. I think some people have the "wisdom of dirt" so to speak on this forum.  But, from where I sit, it seems you fall into that category.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously you aren't paying attention to the draft. Lots of solid players are going in the 10-15 range like Taylor Decker, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack, and even Reggie Ragland. All at positions of need for us. You probably have no idea who these guys are or where they are going in the draft. I want one of these guys, not some mid to late 1st rounder that will probably bust. Look them up and study the draft, you really are sounding foolish with this post.

I've been closely following the drafts since 1989.  I have a pretty good idea of they work.  So again I will still chuckle at the thought that 5-6 positions in the middle of draft will have a dramatic impact over picking a few spots lower (note I said the middle of the draft.. 5-6 spots near the top could be a bigger deal if there were elite players available at the top).

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, thanks for setting all of us straight.  I know after reading this post I wish you were GM because you are one squared away dude who knows it all.

1. Well, except for a few things:
  2.  When you're building a team there really is no, take this player or this player or this player.  That's not how it works in the real world... the team has to pick a player.
  3. The idea that a team can only find players that will help them for the next decade in the first part of the draft is ridiculous:  I mean just off the top of my head guys in the later part of the draft that helped the Colts for around a decade are, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Marvin Harrison, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, 
  4. There is a greater chance that a person taken earlier in the draft will be a bust.  They actually devote whole websites to it.  I mean, I'm sure you never liked a player and they ended up being a bust but it happens to the mere mortal people who try to do it for a living.
  •  

You build your draft board by value and need to take a player, obviously the earlier you pick, the better selection you have and the better chance you get a higher ranked player. I never said we can only find player in the first part of the draft, but this particular draft has a lot of our needs (O-Line Linebacking Corps) with top 15 players that fit in that area that can help us if we lose out. The players fit the strategy in this case. If that is true that players taken earlier bust more, it is because of poor decision making by GM's, not because of odds. You have a choice to get the best players in the draft at the beginning of the draft, and it is up to the GM to choose correctly.

You build your draft board by value and need to take a player, obviously the earlier you pick, the better selection you have and the better chance you get a higher ranked player. I never said we can only find player in the first part of the draft, but this particular draft has a lot of our needs (O-Line Linebacking Corps) with top 15 players that fit in that area that can help us if we lose out. The players fit the strategy in this case. If that is true that players taken earlier bust more, it is because of poor decision making by GM's, not because of odds. You have a choice to get the best players in the draft at the beginning of the draft, and it is up to the GM to choose correctly.

Oh well, in that case, there is another area where you're wrong.  You don't build your board based on need, you build your board based on your grade of that player.  As soon as your build your board based on need then you are picking high in the draft every year.

3 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I've been closely following the drafts since 1989.  I have a pretty good idea of they work.  So again I will still chuckle at the thought that 5-6 positions in the middle of draft will have a dramatic impact over picking a few spots lower (note I said the middle of the draft.. 5-6 spots near the top could be a bigger deal if there were elite players available at the top).

If you are following the drafts, then you should know that the positions of need for us are going at 10-15 where we would drop if we lost our last 2 games. Decker, Jack, Ragland, and Jaylon Smith are all at positions of need. I'll ask you the same question I asked Superman. Why would you pass up a guy like this that fills a huge need and is better for losing a playoff game. They may not be top 5 picks, but they are top 10 (other than Ragland) at positions of need, and that is just as valuable for a team like ours.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Oh well, in that case, there is another area where you're wrong.  You don't build your board based on need, you build your board based on your grade of that player.  As soon as your build your board based on need then you are picking high in the draft every year.

You are correct in that respect, I should of been more clear as it was said multiple times that was why Phillip Dorsett was our pick and was graded in the teens last year.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If you are following the drafts, then you should know that the positions of need for us are going at 10-15 where we would drop if we lost our last 2 games. Decker, Jack, Ragland, and Jaylon Smith are all at positions of need. I'll ask you the same question I asked Superman. Why would you pass up a guy like this that fills a huge need and is better for losing a playoff game. They may not be top 5 picks, but they are top 10 (other than Ragland) at positions of need, and that is just as valuable for a team like ours.

Ogbah

Fine, tell me a counterpoint then on why we should pass up borderline franchise players that could put this team over the top when Luck is 100% next year, for a playoff run in which we have literally 0% chance? There is 0% benefit to it except we get to watch the Colts play an extra game. Either Hasselback stinks up the joint, or we play with Luck and he has a high chance of getting re-injured and we lose anyway. Give me your argument for not getting a top 10 value player of need in the draft and I will quit the insults.

Who said we should pass up borderline franchise players? You need to consider the meaning of the phrase 'literally 0% chance.' When Luck is medically cleared, doctors have said that there's no greater risk of him being re-injured. When he's healed, he's healed.

And then, in the ultimate irony, you mock people for not paying attention to or knowing anything about the draft, but turn around and call Myles Jack an elite pass rusher.

It's ridiculous that before I can even respond to what you're trying to say, I have to hack through all this nonsense to formulate a meaningful, on-topic response.

The truth is that people want to see their team go to the playoffs because if you can make the playoffs, then you have a chance. Might be microscopic, but at least it's a chance, especially if Luck is healthy. That's what being a fan is about, hoping that your team can overcome the odds to win a championship, not jumping ship because the odds don't look good. 

The truth is that everyone who is a fan of the Colts wants the team to draft good players, no matter what the team's draft status is. 

The truth is that the Colts are unlikely to be picking in the top ten next year even if they lose out. They're more likely to be in the mid teens.

The truth is that the difference between picking #15 and picking #21 doesn't change the trajectory of a football program. 

Like I said, your entire stance is built upon fallacies and misrepresentations, designed to make your argument look better.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are correct in that respect, I should of been more clear as it was said multiple times that was why Phillip Dorsett was our pick and was graded in the teens last year.

Well I will say that is a good trait in a wise one (and a GM)... to say something you don't mean and then use an example that contradicts what you did say.  Not many people could pull that off and still think they are wiser than everyone else.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Who said we should pass up borderline franchise players? You need to consider the meaning of the phrase 'literally 0% chance.' When Luck is medically cleared, doctors have said that there's no greater risk of him being re-injured. When he's healed, he's healed.

And then, in the ultimate irony, you mock people for not paying attention to or knowing anything about the draft, but turn around and call Myles Jack an elite pass rusher.

It's ridiculous that before I can even respond to what you're trying to say, I have to hack through all this nonsense to formulate a meaningful, on-topic response.

The truth is that people want to see their team go to the playoffs because if you can make the playoffs, then you have a chance. Might be microscopic, but at least it's a chance, especially if Luck is healthy. That's what being a fan is about, hoping that your team can overcome the odds to win a championship, not jumping ship because the odds don't look good. 

The truth is that everyone who is a fan of the Colts wants the team to draft good players, no matter what the team's draft status is. 

The truth is that the Colts are unlikely to be picking in the top ten next year even if they lose out. They're more likely to be in the mid teens.

The truth is that the difference between picking #15 and picking #21 doesn't change the trajectory of a football program. 

Like I said, your entire stance is built upon fallacies and misrepresentations, designed to make your argument look better.

I don't want this team to be good, I want them to be great. I don't want the Peyton years all over again in the way where we go one and done in the playoffs every year. I want a truly competitive team. We've had Luck for 4 years. Those years of his are just about gone, and it's like we're back to square one. I want some sort of franchise player in the draft to turn it around, whether it be protection for Luck, or some sort of linebacker that can be a leader for us.

If you're satisfied with the same old song and dance, then that's fine, but I have the same expectations for my team that I have for myself when I compete. Go out there and win. We can't do it with the way our team is now. I don't jump ship, I love this team, and I'll sacrifice a battle to win the war. Picking earlier in this case does make a difference when it's the difference between Luck getting injured or us having a better defense. 

What matches do we have a chance in in the playoffs if we make it? We aren't facing Denver. It'll either be KC who is wrecking through people, the Steelers which we can't hang with, or the Jets who also have been dominating on offense now and have Revis back on defense. I guess I'm a realist and am grown up from hoping the impossible will happen. I know when I'm defeated and look at how to benefit next. Losing out benefits us the most.

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well I will say that is a good trait in a wise one (and a GM)... to say something you don't mean and then use an example that contradicts what you did say.  Not many people could pull that off and still think they are wiser than everyone else.

I just want what's best for the team at this point and my morale is at an all time low. I don't feel it, but if you do, go with your gut and enjoy the rest of the season. I'm higher on Luck than anyone on this board and base our success on him. I will enjoy the rest of the season as well. Might as well with 2 games most likely left.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't want this team to be good, I want them to be great. I don't want the Peyton years all over again in the way where we go one and done in the playoffs every year. I want a truly competitive team. We've had Luck for 4 years. Those years of his are just about gone, and it's like we're back to square one. I want some sort of franchise player in the draft to turn it around, whether it be protection for Luck, or some sort of linebacker that can be a leader for us.

If you're satisfied with the same old song and dance, then that's fine, but I have the same expectations for my team that I have for myself when I compete. Go out there and win. We can't do it with the way our team is now. I don't jump ship, I love this team, and I'll sacrifice a battle to win the war. Picking earlier in this case does make a difference when it's the difference between Luck getting injured or us having a better defense. 

What matches do we have a chance in in the playoffs if we make it? We aren't facing Denver. It'll either be KC who is wrecking through people, the Steelers which we can't hang with, or the Jets who also have been dominating on offense now and have Revis back on defense. I guess I'm a realist and am grown up from hoping the impossible will happen. I know when I'm defeated and look at how to benefit next. Losing out benefits us the most.

One top ten draft pick isn't going to make this team great. I don't care what anyone thinks of Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith, they aren't transforming the makeup of this roster on their own. Bring them on, I like them both, but you're making whoever we could get in the top ten (where we won't be picking, btw) out to be a savior, and that's unrealistic.

I'm also not so scarred by the Peyton years that I think if we don't force our way into the top ten this year that we're doomed to underperform in the playoffs. The Luck era is already ahead of the Manning era in terms of playoff success. Nor do I find satisfaction in seeing my team underperform. Another strawman.

Again, just because someone would rather see their team take a chance in the playoffs doesn't mean they can't/don't understand the potential benefit of picking earlier in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I just want what's best for the team at this point and my morale is at an all time low. I don't feel it, but if you do, go with your gut and enjoy the rest of the season. I'm higher on Luck than anyone on this board and base our success on him. I will enjoy the rest of the season as well. Might as well with 2 games most likely left.

Didn't you used to have a different Avatar?

So does just about everyone on this forum.  Everyone has different ideas on how to accomplish that.  I disagree with most people's ideas on how to go about it and sometimes I even insult their intelligence as well.  But it's not a good way to get your point across (as I have learned over the years).

It's much more fun to debate the merits (or lack there of) of different ideas than to dismiss them outright.  So there is my free advice, it's worth every penny.

On December 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM, 12isthenew18 said:

The Colts lost to Pittsburgh and J'Ville by about 35 points -- in each game.   I think 70 points total in two games.

Then.....   with the season on the line,  the Colts couldn't beat Houston AT HOME with the Texans using their 3rd and 4th string QB's.    

The Colts appear to be gassed.      I'm ready to see Charlie Whitehurt.    Hasselbeck is completely beat up.  Give him the last two weeks off.      

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

One top ten draft pick isn't going to make this team great. I don't care what anyone thinks of Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith, they aren't transforming the makeup of this roster on their own. Bring them on, I like them both, but you're making whoever we could get in the top ten (where we won't be picking, btw) out to be a savior, and that's unrealistic.

I'm also not so scarred by the Peyton years that I think if we don't force our way into the top ten this year that we're doomed to underperform in the playoffs. The Luck era is already ahead of the Manning era in terms of playoff success. Nor do I find satisfaction in seeing my team underperform. Another strawman.

Again, just because someone would rather see their team take a chance in the playoffs doesn't mean they can't/don't understand the potential benefit of picking earlier in the draft. 

I don't think we'll pick top 10, but I think a top 10 pick could fall to us if we lose out. That would be a player that Grigson or the new GM could have as the best player available with the best grade on his board also at a position of need. Everything combines and that's why I want it. I just wish everyone would look at the bigger picture here. I understand everyone has different viewpoints, but this is for the good of the team and I feel like i'm talking to my mother (who is a huge casual fan).

We're not going to agree on this. Support the team and I'll hope for the future goals. We both want to win, we just have different ways of wanting it and I believe mine is better in this case. I have nothing else to say.