Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have a question for some of the people here

12isthenew18

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Didn't you used to have a different Avatar?

So does just about everyone on this forum.  Everyone has different ideas on how to accomplish that.  I disagree with most people's ideas on how to go about it and sometimes I even insult their intelligence as well.  But it's not a good way to get your point across (as I have learned over the years).

It's much more fun to debate the merits (or lack there of) of different ideas than to dismiss them outright.  So there is my free advice, it's worth every penny.

I originally had my face as an avatar, then I lost a bet on who would win the world series between the Mets and Royals and had to put up a Patriots avatar for a month. Since that has passed, I put up the family guy peter griffin one now.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Most people here have no idea how to build a long term winner or the slightest clue of strategy. They'd rather go one and done in the playoffs (and there's been posts on these boards and in chat during games that people would knowingly go one and done just to have a chance) just to watch the Colts on TV and enjoy making it there, rather than lose out and get a player that can help us for the next decade while Luck is here. One person said they'd rather go 8-8 instead of 6-10 and still miss the playoffs just so they don't have a losing record which is even more ridiculous. These people don't pay attention to the draft or how it can help us. As said above, they want instant gratification, and selfish put a meaningless playoff game that we'll lose anyway just for a few hours of entertainment, over getting a franchise RT like Taylor Decker. Or a elite ILB like Jaylon Smith or an elite pass rush rusher like Myles Jack. These are players of need and value we can get if we lose out that greatly benefit the team (contrary to what people say that a few spots don't matter). 

We lost to the Steelers by 35, the JAGUARS by 36, and we couldn't score 1 point against the Texans in the 2nd half. Also, Luck is still out and if he returns, he won't be 100%. These people are crazy on these boards when it comes to common sense, and when it comes to football strategy, a few of them have the wisdom of dirt.

Winning and the attitude, pride, and commitment that comes with winning, is more important. The simplest argument to your preposterous idea is that winners are not always first over all, 1st round, or even particularly standout players. They do their job, trust others to do theirs and they just win. Give me a team of winners over team of high draft picks any day. Anyone who's been part of a good team and also a bad team can see that raw talent is not the most important aspect of winning, it helps but it isn't the be all end all.

If Luck is 100% I want him to play. He is still young and could use some wins this season. I think it would be good for team confidence if we could lay some serious beatings on the next two opponents.

I almost regret answering this post, as it was written in such an inflammatory tone. Try to be more open to different points of view. Just because they are different does not mean they are not based on reason and fact.

2 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Winning and the attitude, pride, and commitment that comes with winning, is more important. The simplest argument to your preposterous idea is that winners are not always first over all, 1st round, or even particularly standout players. They do their job, trust others to do theirs and they just win. Give me a team of winners over team of high draft picks any day. Anyone who's been part of a good team and also a bad team can see that raw talent is not the most important aspect of winning, it helps but it isn't the be all end all.

If Luck is 100% I want him to play. He is still young and could use some wins this season. I think it would be good for team confidence if we could lay some serious beatings on the next two opponents.

I almost regret answering this post, as it was written in such an inflammatory tone. Try to be more open to different points of view. Just because they are different does not mean they are not based on reason and fact.

I'll cut down the tone and argue you this. We haven't won this season. We have no pride. We've shown little to no effort as all of our wins have been slight ones and most of our losses have been blowout losses. This team doesn't care and hasn't for most of the year. They've packed it in. The talent isn't there either and that's part of the problem. That's why we need a higher pick, so we have a future. Luck can't do everything. injuries have killed us this year, but that's not the only problem. We were having trouble as early as the 1st two games. I don't want Luck back this year because I fear for his health. Some people on this forum may want to go all out, but this team isn't going all out.

I dont think you want the team to win. You keep arguing that we should lose. Your whole idea is based on flawed logic in which the teams who draft in the top ten have an advantage over the teams who dont. Its simply not true, its actually the opposite. Those picks bust just as often. There is a reason the same teams are always drafting there.

The only time that isnt the case is when a team needs a franchise QB. In that case, I agree. But that is not our situation. And even then, great QB's are found in every round of the draft.

We need pass rushers and olineman. You can get those pretty regularly from picks 20-the 3rd round. Our best pick last year was our 3rd rounder. 

Not only that, but if there is a guy you like that much and he will make an impact like you suggest, you can trade up a few spots. Its not like you totally miss out just because you dont tank. At the end of the day its about making good decisions, not wherr you draft.

Just now, GoatBeard said:

I dont think you want the team to win. You keep arguing that we should lose. Your whole idea is based on flawed logic in which the teams who draft in the top ten have an advantage over the teams who dont. Its simply not true, its actually the opposite. Those picks bust just as often. There is a reason the same teams are always drafting there.

The only time that isnt the case is when a team needs a franchise QB. In that case, I agree. But that is not our situation. And even then, great QB's are found in every round of the draft.

We need pass rushers and olineman. You can get those pretty regularly from picks 20-the 3rd round. Our best pick last year was our 3rd rounder. 

Not only that, but if there is a guy you like that much and he will make an impact like you suggest, you can trade up a few spots. Its not like you totally miss out just because you dont tank. At the end of the day its about making good decisions, not wherr you draft.

You contradicted yourself there and proved my point. We don't need a franchise QB, we have one. We'll win next year with a bit more talent. We don't need a complete rebuild, we just a player to push us over the edge, and there are a lot of players in that range that match up with us perfectly to do so. Also, why would you want to trade up a few spots when you don't have too? That's just wasting a mid round pick that's precious when we are losing our 6th rounder already. If the team was showing effort and we had Luck back at 100% against the dolphins, I would be willing to change my mind, but we don't. The team has packed it in and the effort isn't there. With Clipboard Jesus in, we'll be lucky to score 2 tds against the Dolphins.

I didnt contradict myself at all. QB is so vital i can atleast understand that thinking. But that is the only position.

I would rather trade up because I wouldnt have to sacrifice the culture of the organization to do so. 

Another reason is that 70k people are gonna pay good money to watch the game and they deserve two teams that are both playing to win. Anything less than that is a sham and basically theft.

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

I didnt contradict myself at all. QB is so vital i can atleast understand that thinking. But that is the only position.

I would rather trade up because I wouldnt have to sacrifice the culture of the organization to do so. 

Another reason is that 70k people are gonna pay good money to watch the game and they deserve two teams that are both playing to win. Anything less than that is a sham and basically theft.

So you'd rather trade up and sacrifice a pick that we can use to help the team than lose and not have to trade up? Wow... Look, we're going to play the last two games, and we're probably going to lose. That's not a sham and that's not theft. The team will try to win, they just don't have the talent and are riddled with injuries. This is why I want to gain draft position rather than go to the playoffs and lose. we don't have the talent with injuries, and the team has packed it in as well. There's no effort. Enjoy the last two weeks, but don't expect much with a third string qb. We're building for the future. If you want to trade up, it's better to trade up from the 12th spot rather then the 21st spot.

I dont think they've packed it in at all. I think its injuries more than anything. Hasselbeck could've packed it in, he had 4-5 legit excuses to sit down. But he didnt. Thats the kind of thing i want to see from my team. Anyone can quit. But Hasselbeck is one tough SOB and i will always remember him for what hes done this year. He has played horrible lately but the toughness he has displayed and the heart he has shown has at least represented what the Colts should be about. 

If they lose, they lose. I can live with that as long as they are trying to win.

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll cut down the tone and argue you this. We haven't won this season. We have no pride. We've shown little to no effort as all of our wins have been slight ones and most of our losses have been blowout losses. This team doesn't care and hasn't for most of the year. They've packed it in. The talent isn't there either and that's part of the problem. That's why we need a higher pick, so we have a future. Luck can't do everything. injuries have killed us this year, but that's not the only problem. We were having trouble as early as the 1st two games. I don't want Luck back this year because I fear for his health. Some people on this forum may want to go all out, but this team isn't going all out.

The part I put into bold.........     Pure crap.

Absolute nonsense.     

I'm not getting into the draft pick strategy....     I'm only addressing the needlessly dramatic "we have no pride...  little to no effort...  the team doesn't care and hasn't for most of the year... "

I think you embarrass yourself when you write such nonsense.    And that's what this was....

You should've quit while you were ahead.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The part I put into bold.........     Pure crap.

Absolute nonsense.     

I'm not getting into the draft pick strategy....     I'm only addressing the needlessly dramatic "we have no pride...  little to no effort...  the team doesn't care and hasn't for most of the year... "

I think you embarrass yourself when you write such nonsense.    And that's what this was....

You should've quit while you were ahead.

I guess my definition of effort and yours are a lot different. Mine is giving everything you've got and leaving nothing on the field. If you lose, that's one thing, but losing in blowouts like they have, they are an embarrassment this year and I don't give two hoots what you think. Obviously you like getting the participation trophy. We are much more talented than what we've shown, and this team doesn't care. If pride and effort is showing up, then yes, they got it. Otherwise, it's been a huge embarrassment this season. Either this team is truly horrible without a healthy Luck, or we need to double check the players we have on this team and the effort they are giving.

I never cry from a sports game and am more likely to break something rather than cry, but this team made me burst into tears after watching the end of the Colts game Sunday when they put it on TV where I live. I literally couldn't believe we were this pathetic and terrible. People say this is Luck's team, well Luck is the team.

59 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think we'll pick top 10, but I think a top 10 pick could fall to us if we lose out. That would be a player that Grigson or the new GM could have as the best player available with the best grade on his board also at a position of need. Everything combines and that's why I want it. I just wish everyone would look at the bigger picture here. I understand everyone has different viewpoints, but this is for the good of the team and I feel like i'm talking to my mother (who is a huge casual fan).

We're not going to agree on this. Support the team and I'll hope for the future goals. We both want to win, we just have different ways of wanting it and I believe mine is better in this case. I have nothing else to say.

I'll say again, one top ten draft pick doesn't transform this roster. 

The truth is that this team is likely to lose the next two games regardless, so all of this is moot. In which case, I'm all about having the best draft position we can get. What I am against is this idea that if we don't have the absolute highest draft pick we can get that we're going to miss out on someone great in the draft. As someone else said, if you really like a player that's falling in the draft and he plays a position of considerable need, then trade up and get him. Then you get your "borderline franchise player" anyways. 

This draft is just like any other: don't reach for need, and maximize your value. That doesn't mean you have to tank with two weeks left in the season. 

If the Colts somehow get in to the playoffs, I wouldnt want to play them in the first round with a healthy Andrew Luck. They have proven this year that if they are healthy, even with all the flaws, they can play with anyone. We own Cincy and Denver and we played right with the mighty Patriots and Panthers. You never know what can happen in sports. That is why you always try to win and never root for the team to lose.......unless they have only won 2 games all year and Andrew Luck is on the line of course. Im not gonna lie, i rooted against us that day. But that was a sure thing to me. The 10th pick is always a crap shoot.

I would certainly rather play the Texans with Brandon Weeden than Andrew Luck and the Colts. Even if i were the Steelers or the Pats. 

We wouldnt be your typical 8-8 team. We are much better than we've shown this year. Lets try to get in and if we are eliminated next week, then we should focus on the offseason amd changes. Until then, we should give our best effort as fans and the team should as well.

6 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

If the Colts somehow get in to the playoffs, I wouldnt want to play them in the first round with a healthy Andrew Luck. They have proven this year that if they are healthy, even with all the flaws, they can play with anyone. We own Cincy and Denver and we played right with the mighty Patriots and Panthers. You never know what can happen in sports. That is why you always try to win and never root for the team to lose.......unless they have only won 2 games all year and Andrew Luck is on the line of course. Im not gonna lie, i rooted against us that day. But that was a sure thing to me. The 10th pick is always a crap shoot.

I would certainly rather play the Texans with Brandon Weeden than Andrew Luck and the Colts. Even if i were the Steelers or the Pats. 

We wouldnt be your typical 8-8 team. We are much better than we've shown this year. Lets try to get in and if we are eliminated next week, then we should focus on the offseason amd changes. Until then, we should give our best effort as fans and the team should as well.

Lets go for it. If we give a genuine effort to win, then I'm fine either way. I just want Luck healthy if we do make it. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I guess my definition of effort and yours are a lot different. Mine is giving everything you've got and leaving nothing on the field. If you lose, that's one thing, but losing in blowouts like they have, they are an embarrassment this year and I don't give two hoots what you think. Obviously you like getting the participation trophy. We are much more talented than what we've shown, and this team doesn't care. If pride and effort is showing up, then yes, they got it. Otherwise, it's been a huge embarrassment this season. Either this team is truly horrible without a healthy Luck, or we need to double check the players we have on this team and the effort they are giving.

I never cry from a sports game and am more likely to break something rather than cry, but this team made me burst into tears after watching the end of the Colts game Sunday when they put it on TV where I live. I literally couldn't believe we were this pathetic and terrible. People say this is Luck's team, well Luck is the team.

Why in the world would you EVER think a Chuck Pagano team has quit or lacks pride?

That's mostly what we've had his first three years.    That, and Andrew Luck.

Just because we lose doesn't mean we quit.     So, for example,  Whalen fumbles late in the game and the defense rises up and stops Houston to force them to kick another field goal.    We still had another chance to come back.      A team that has quit doesn't do that.     It gives up a touchdown.    But we didn't do that.

We have no quarterback and no offensive line.    That's why we can't score.     And we have no playmakers on defense,  that's why we can't stop teams.

I'm sorry you're so miserable over a bad season.   So are the fans of about 16 other teams.   Get over it.  Grow up.     You're likely going to get your wish.     Pagano will be fired.   And odds are Grigson will too.   And then the new staff gets a fresh start.

But as a fan of the Colts you've had it pretty good for about 15 years.   Being a Drama Queen over a bad season may make you feel good with your childish rants,  but that's all they are.      Look around at the smartest posters here -- do you see THEM posting like you do?     No.     Not even close.

I'm hard on your here because you're a good poster.    You're smarter than this.    You know football much better than this.    You just let your emotions and frustrations get the best of you.    There will be better days ahead.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why in the world would you EVER think a Chuck Pagano team has quit or lacks pride?

Just because we lose doesn't mean we quit.     So, for example,  Whalen fumbles late in the game and the defense rises up and stops Houston to force them to kick another field goal.    We still had another chance to come back.      A team that has quit doesn't do that.     It gives up a touchdown.    But we didn't do that.

We have no quarterback and no offensive line.    That's why we can't score.     And we have no playmakers on defense,  that's why we can't stop teams.

I'm sorry you're so miserable over a bad season.   So are the fans of about 16 other teams.   Get over it.  Grow up.     You're likely going to get your wish.     Pagano will be fired.   And odds are Grigson will too.   And then the new staff gets a fresh start.

But as a fan of the Colts you've had it pretty good for about 15 years.   Being a Drama Queen over a bad season may make you feel good with your childish rants,  but that's all they are.      Look around at the smartest posters here -- do you see THEM posting like you do?     No.     Not even close.

I'm hard on your here because you're a good poster.    You're smarter than this.    You know football much better than this.    You just let your emotions and frustrations get the best of you.    There will be better days ahead.

Appreciate the criticism. I'm down on the season, and yes, I'm frustrated. I just want this season to be over in a way, and this is the only way I can vent as my parents are Bronco fans and my friends are fans of other teams. I'll drop it now and thanks for the advice.

Hey Jared we are all down on the season buddy. Trust me I am just as disappointed as you. I have probably said "Are you f'n kidding me" on average about 10 times a game this year. Thats my go to curse when I'm mad BTW. After that fake punt against the Pats I got hammered for the first time in about 5 years. We have been beaten many times over the last five years but that one got to me.

It is never as bad as it seems and it is never as good as it seems either. I learned the truth of that after we won, and I immediately started dreaming about the next time. 

Hang in there man you might see something that changes how you see things.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good job!

12 hours ago, Superman said:

I'll say again, one top ten draft pick doesn't transform this roster. 

The truth is that this team is likely to lose the next two games regardless, so all of this is moot. In which case, I'm all about having the best draft position we can get. What I am against is this idea that if we don't have the absolute highest draft pick we can get that we're going to miss out on someone great in the draft. As someone else said, if you really like a player that's falling in the draft and he plays a position of considerable need, then trade up and get him. Then you get your "borderline franchise player" anyways. 

This draft is just like any other: don't reach for need, and maximize your value. That doesn't mean you have to tank with two weeks left in the season. 

Applause-harry-potter.gif

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

picard_clapping.gif

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously you aren't paying attention to the draft. Lots of solid players are going in the 10-15 range like Taylor Decker, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack, and even Reggie Ragland. All at positions of need for us. You probably have no idea who these guys are or where they are going in the draft. I want one of these guys, not some mid to late 1st rounder that will probably bust. Look them up and study the draft, you really are sounding foolish with this post.

Myles Jack played 3 games this season. It's kind of absurd to think that a pick somewhere in the 10-15 range will be the one thing that turns this around. This team has a lot of flaws and there is no one magic player who can make everything alright. I also do not see your need to fly off the handle and start insulting other members anytime someone disagrees with you. There are a lot of people on this board who put a great deal of time and effort into watching and evaluating prospects. Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean you have to insult them and call them names. I haven't looked it up, but I'm going to guess the number of draft "busts" in the 21-32 range is very similar to the percentages of players in the 10-20 range. 4 or 5 draft slots aren't usually the key to a superstar or a career back up.

14 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I think some people not saying me, not saying not me, cares about the legacy of this team, so even though they think we'll lose if we enter the playoffs, they'll at least find some peace knowing that it'll still go down in the books that we're a "playoff team". 

I seriously don't care about the books. If you want to win a SB, you have to make the playoffs. That's the only reason I want this team to make the playoffs every year.