Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

List of head coaches for next year

RockThatBlue

7 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I notice other coaches tend to do that sometimes also.  It really doesn't make much sense to me but I'm not a coach.  I've seen Caldwell do it before also, this year along with others.  

Caldwell would clap when getting blow out too.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Names

- Nick Saban - I'm in favor. I know that is unpopular to say but I think he would be excellent.

- Jon Gruden - I would be happy with Jon Gruden.

- Sean Payton - I'd also be in favor of Sean Payton.

There are questions with all three of these guys. Will Saban come back to the NFL? Does Gruden want to coach again? Will NO allow Payton to leave and would he be interested in coaching the Colts?

I will throw someone else out there. He isn't someone who is often discussed but I think he will have another head coaching job next year.

Doug Marrone.

His departure from Buffalo brings some question marks but there are two things that I don't think are questins with Marrone. First, he is an excellent football coach. Second, he would bring an edge to this team.

The Colts may not hire a big name for their next head coach no matter how bad Irsay wants to. I think that Marrone would be a good hire.

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

For all you Saban haters, i think you will be disappointed. i have reported on here since early in the season that i have heard from what i would consider a good source that he is Irasy's first choice. Source is a former player who is indirectly involved with the colts.

Take it for what it's worth, but JMV (local radio personality) claims his source(s) tells him Saban has no interest returning to the NFL.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Tom Cable is an interesting choice not as OC though no way. O-line coach like you say would be intriguing though since he's really transformed that Pacific NW front in say the past 4-5 weeks when QB RW got paid $20 million per year & their front office was compelled to start trading their depth away. 

Cable has essentially re-molded that line with no name average joes & RW is getting into his groove now. I remember Cable in Oakland & didn't really notice him, but ever since he landed in grunge country, he's definitely made a name for himself. 

I think you cant move laterally so we would have to promote him to OC

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

For all you Saban haters, i think you will be disappointed. i have reported on here since early in the season that i have heard from what i would consider a good source that he is Irasy's first choice. Source is a former player who is indirectly involved with the colts.

Irsay has interviewed Saban before for the HC job, if I recall it was in 98 while he was at MSU, and we opted for Mora.  The point is, I think Irsay has always liked Saban and I certainly would not be surprised if Irsay targets him.  I think he's a little like Knight and Kryzwzski where his system and style better fits college.  BUT maybe he'd be great I don't know....Maybe we could get Lan Kiffin too!!!  HAHAHA!

1 hour ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

I think you cant move laterally so we would have to promote him to OC

That's still considered a lateral move, per NFL rules. Any assistant coaching job (basically, not the head coach) is lateral. Teams only have to allow their assistants to interview for head coaching positions.

Kinda dumb, but them's the rules.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Take it for what it's worth, but JMV (local radio personality) claims his source(s) tells him Saban has no interest returning to the NFL.

He recently interviewed and said how important being in Alabama is to his family. Basically said he has no interest in leaving, and doesn't see himself leaving, ever.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14425927/nick-saban-says-see-ever-leaving-alabama-crimson-tide

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

He recently interviewed and said how important being in Alabama is to his family. Basically said he has no interest in leaving, and doesn't see himself leaving, ever.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14425927/nick-saban-says-see-ever-leaving-alabama-crimson-tide

He did but c'mon, what else would he say right now, he has a Championship in the balance.  I hope he does stay.

3 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

He did but c'mon, what else would he say right now, he has a Championship in the balance.  I hope he does stay.

He could have hedged. His comments are pretty definitive.

However, he was just as definitive when he said he wasn't leaving Miami for Alabama. Two weeks later, that all changed.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

However, he was just as definitive when he said he wasn't leaving Miami for Alabama. Two weeks later, that all changed.

Right, it's a no win situ for them in these cases.  As a rule I don't believe anything anyone says until the season is over.  Chip wasn't leaving Oregon either, etc, etc.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

What you might find interesting is he viewed Kirby Smart as a "son" and was very close with Saban.  Smart leaving will without a doubt impact him personally and professionally. Smart will also take some Alabama staff with him... sometimes things like this can create the impetus to leave if he was considering it to begin with, plus fan pressure in Alabama can wear very thin.  Just some additional color for the conversation.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's still considered a lateral move, per NFL rules. Any assistant coaching job (basically, not the head coach) is lateral. Teams only have to allow their assistants to interview for head coaching positions.

Kinda dumb, but them's the rules.

Are you saying that position coaches such as an oline coach or DB coach couldn't go take a position as the OC or DC on another team while under contract as a lower level position coach? I don't believe that's accurate if so. 

3 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Are you saying that position coaches such as an oline coach or DB coach couldn't go take a position as the OC or DC on another team while under contract as a lower level position coach? I don't believe that's accurate if so. 

They can, but their current team doesn't have to allow them to interview if they're under contract. So if you want the Packers QB coach as your coordinator, the Packers can block him from interviewing. And in fact, they have done exactly that in each of the last two seasons.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

And I would be fine with that. I was just listing realistic options that Irsay is probably looking at.

Payton isn't that high on my list, tbh. But he can stay, even though it's unlikely he leaves NO.

The rest of those guys, no thank you.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't think Cowher has ever been a HC with a modern NFL passing game.  I'm not sure that the style that he had past success with would still be effective.

your aware his last year coaching was just 2006 right? We aren't talking about a coach that's been retired since the 80's....or 90's for that matter

15 minutes ago, Gavin said:

your aware his last year coaching was just 2006 right? We aren't talking about a coach that's been retired since the 80's....or 90's for that matter

The Steelers were still a defensive oriented team and Ben was stifled by the offensive philosophy.

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

They can, but their current team doesn't have to allow them to interview if they're under contract. So if you want the Packers QB coach as your coordinator, the Packers can block him from interviewing. And in fact, they have done exactly that in each of the last two seasons.

I know we had this issue with Chud but the team increased his title and presumably his salary to either keep him or to keep him satisfied, I'm not sure which. I always thought that only lateral moves were not required to be granted interview rights but upward moves were required. Maybe it's just seen that upward moves are considered the right thing for the team to do for the coach instead of making them stay in position coaches. 

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

Payton isn't that high on my list, tbh. But he can stay, even though it's unlikely he leaves NO.

The rest of those guys, no thank you.

This isn't meant for @Defjamz26, but i see Marrone's name brought up a lot and it's funny because a lot of the people who brought it up are the same people who don't want Nick Saban because he "quit" on the Dolphins. 

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This isn't meant for @Defjamz26, but i see Marrone's name brought up a lot and it's funny because a lot of the people who brought it up are the same people who don't want Nick Saban because he "quit" on the Dolphins. 

Idk about Marrone quitting though. It was a new FO and they gave him a chance to opt out, and he did.

I also don't hold Saban leaving the Dolphins against him. He was probably frustrated with management because he wanted Drew Bree's and they said no. Gruden almost quit on the Bucs for the same reason.

4 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I've heard also (possibly from you in an older post?) that Saban's visited Indy a couple times this past year. Take that with a grain of salt, but still noteworthy.

25 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I know we had this issue with Chud but the team increased his title and presumably his salary to either keep him or to keep him satisfied, I'm not sure which. I always thought that only lateral moves were not required to be granted interview rights but upward moves were required. Maybe it's just seen that upward moves are considered the right thing for the team to do for the coach instead of making them stay in position coaches. 

We blocked Chud from interviewing for coordinator jobs. Same issue. Then they redid his contract and gave him a promotion/new title. But the blocking came first, and the Internet criticized the Colts for blocking him. He also was not under contract for 2015, so they wouldn't have been able to block him but for a couple weeks, which is why they gave him a new contract (presumably a raise) and a new title.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/report-colts-block-49ers-interviewing-chudzinski

From the link:

Per the NFL’s anti-tampering policy, there are two tiers of coaching staffs: head coach and all assistant coaches. Teams are not permitted to block an assistant coach from a head-coaching opportunity. But a team is under no obligation to grant an assistant coach the opportunity to discuss another assistant-coaching position with an interested club.

22 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Oh, the irony.

I don't see Marrone's name that much, though. Or maybe I block it out.

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I don't know about your source, but ESPN just release a interview with Saban, and gave a summary of the important points Saban makes.

Number 1 on the list, He is not going anywhere!

Irsay may be disappointed, but I believe Saban this time because of he says to back it up. The reason, family. His entire family now works in Birmingham. His mother just moved to Birmingham to work. I know you can never say never, but family is generally the most important thing in a person's life, and he has integrated his fully into the Alabama culture and college town. He is not going anywhere!

Edited by loudnproudcolt
wrong word

7 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I don't know about your source, but ESPN just release a interview with Saban, and gave a summary of the important points Saban makes.

Irsay may be disappointed, but I believe Saban this time because of he says to back it up. The reason, family. His entire family now works in Birmingham. His mother just moved to Birmingham to work. I know you can never say never, but family is generally the most important thing in a person's life, and he has integrated his fully into the Alabama culture and college town. He is not going anywhere!

He should take another job just so his family can get out of Birmingham.....

9 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Not wanting to argue what you heard but Saban is 64 years old. If his mother gave birth to him at 20 that would make her 84 years old. Do you really believe that Saban making 7M+ would allow his 80+ year old mother to work?

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Not wanting to argue what you heard but Saban is 64 years old. If his mother gave birth to him at 20 that would make her 84 years old. Do you really believe that Saban making 7M+ would allow his 80+ year old mother to work?

Hey just responding to what the writer at ESPN said. Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25424676/not-leaving-alabama-3-things-we-learned-from-nick-sabans-espn-interview

From the article:

1. He doesn't see himself coaching anywhere else before retirement.

"No, I really don't. I don't see it ever happening, and I know every year somebody has me going somewhere else," Saban told ESPN.com. "I think a lot of it isn't just about the coaching part. What people don't understand is they forget you're a person. They forget you have a wife and two kids and a grandbaby, and they all live in Birmingham.

"They all work here. My wife goes to Birmingham five times a week. My mom lives in Birmingham now

after moving from Myrtle Beach. It's not just the job. A lot of people don't get that. My life is here."

I was wrong, his mother is not working in Birmingham, but what you said about her age is actually a strong

argument for Saban not going anywhere!

Your mother does not move to a town, when she is older without some words of encouragement from her son about this is where I am going to be.

Was thinking about Harold Goodwin, the Arizona OC. Has worked with Bruce Arians for nearly a decade. 41 years old.

Was our OL coach in 2012 and followed Arians to Arizona. Has helped Palmer reignite his career, had a huge hand in giving Arizona a great run game, and designed many of the run concepts. 

Maybe not enough experience to be an HC for us this time around though.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Was thinking about Harold Goodwin, the Arizona OC. Has worked with Bruce Arians for nearly a decade. 41 years old.

Was our OL coach in 2012 and followed Arians to Arizona. Has helped Palmer reignite his career, had a huge hand in giving Arizona a great run game, and designed many of the run concepts. 

Maybe not enough experience to be an HC for us this time around though.

Meh, I could be wrong but it seems Goodwin is OC in name only.  Arians calls the plays and anytime you see Palmer talking to a coach it's Tom Moore.