Jules

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, snkdy said:

http://giant.gfycat.com/FamousHugeBrownbutterfly.gif

Barely touched the mask. That should have been reviewable.

What a crazy game! Lions are like the Browns, if there is a way to lose they both will find it! I thought it was a good call, it wasn't much of a facemask but it was. He got the mask with his thumb. Just a dumb play as Rodgers had no where to run and the game would've been over. 

3 minutes ago, snkdy said:

http://giant.gfycat.com/FamousHugeBrownbutterfly.gif

Barely touched the mask. That should have been reviewable.

Agreed.  Its about time for the NFL to have all calls reviewable.  By rule that was not a facemask.  

One needs to grasp and control.  Indeed there is an exception to the rule when a player immediately releases the facemask upon grasping it is not a foul.  That not only is not a facemask as he did not grasp it, but even if one tries to make an argument that he did grasp it, he immediately released it and pulled Rodgers down by the shoulder pad. 

His finger when past the lower bar of his facemask.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What a crazy game! Lions are like the Browns, if there is a way to lose they both will find it! I thought it was a good call, it wasn't much of a facemask but it was. He got the mask with his thumb. Just a dumb play as Rodgers had no where to run and the game would've been over. 

Very true. Sadly, I think most Lions fans were expecting a heartbreaking loss.

It was a stupid defensive play, but I still think the call was weak.

The lions were screwed by a ref on the final plays of a game again. It does slightly touch the facemask, but that's not a penalty as he didnt grasp it and let go immediately. Giving up that that hail Mary was bad, but that doesn't happen if that facemask isn't called. Ouch. The officiating this year has been horrible, to put it nicely.

11 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Agreed.  Its about time for the NFL to have all calls reviewable.  By rule that was not a facemask.  

One needs to grasp and control.  Indeed there is an exception to the rule when a player immediately releases the facemask upon grasping it is not a foul.  That not only is not a facemask as he did not grasp it, but even if one tries to make an argument that he did grasp it, he immediately released it and pulled Rodgers down by the shoulder pad. 

His finger when past the lower bar of his facemask.

That call will be made every time because it turned Rodgers head side ways when the thumb grabbed the facemask. I didn't even care who won but I didn't think the call was a bad one.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That call will be made every time because it turned Rodgers head side ways when the thumb grabbed the facemask. I didn't even care who won but I didn't think the call was a bad one.

Blandino did say something similar in his explanation. Calls that decide games should still at least be reviewed, in my opinion. I'm sure that looked like a serious facemask in real time to the refs.

13 minutes ago, LuckIsAwesome said:

The lions were screwed by a ref on the final plays of a game again. It does slightly touch the facemask, but that's not a penalty as he didnt grasp it and let go immediately. Giving up that that hail Mary was bad, but that doesn't happen if that facemask isn't called. Ouch. The officiating this year has been horrible, to put it nicely.

Reason they called it is it turned Rodgers head sideways. I agree it was weak after watching the replay but a call that will probably be made 99% of the time if the head goes sideways. I couldn't tell if Rodgers was acting or not but it looked like when the thumb went into the facemask it turn his head legit.  

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Hard to feel sorry for a team that wasn't even ready to defend the Hail Mary play when everyone in Detroit knew it was coming. Except Jim Caldwell and Teryl Austin.

And in real time, that definitely looked like a face mask.

I thought it looked like a legit facemask too in real time so it's tough to just blame the REFS for that call. I don't think they call it if Rodgers head doesn't move side ways the way it did. Still gave up a 65 Yard hailmary and when you do that you deserve to lose anyway. Maybe the Lions should've called Fleener up to help defend the pass haha

2 hours ago, LuckIsAwesome said:

IMO that was no facemask penalty. Just another reason to call out the refs. I thought a replay unit set up in New York was suppose to review this stuff and get it right?

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Hi TG, which QB do you think is the best?

Regarding offensive linemen, I know you liked Laken Tomlinson (playing in this game). How has he looked to you?  

I am looking forward to your write-ups on this coming draft's O-linemen. 

Thanks man!

I don't even know who the best QB is anymore haha. I came into the season thinking it was Luck, because he brought such a crappy team so far last year with his right arm but thus far he's let me down this year. I think Rodgers is a perfectly fine opinion to have, he's great, I was just being a bit vengeful towards those that laughed in my face when I said Luck was the best and acted like Rodgers never had a bad game in his life.

As for the O-line, I think Detroit made improvements to their scheme since they got rid of Lombardi. They had a bunch of power, man style blockers and were trying to make them zone blockers. I haven't watched them enough to make a verdict on Laken Tomlinson, but it seems like as a unit they're not as bad as they were before. They still have a guy who should be a RT at LT though.

The last play should be reviewable, but I think they still would have with held it. The call wasn't bad; it was a facemask, even though the defender let go immediately. The referees aren't to blame here; Detroit let Green Bay come from behind and couldn't stop Rodgers in the end. Detroit let this game get out of hand when they had a solid lead. No one to blame but themselves.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Hard to feel sorry for a team that wasn't even ready to defend the Hail Mary play when everyone in Detroit knew it was coming. Except Jim Caldwell and Teryl Austin.

And in real time, that definitely looked like a face mask.

I think they were concerned about another Cal-lateral play being a possibility, so they kept two guys near the sidelines midfield. 

And Aaron Rodgers is a quick thinker.  He faked the face mask grab.  If you look at the slow motion gif, as he's being spun around, he sees another defender coming at him.  The first defender's hand is already off of his facemask, but Rodgers ducks on his own power to avoid the hit but twists himself in the same direction he was heading, then pops up and calls for the flag.

He's quick witted.  That's a big part of his success.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think they were concerned about another Cal-lateral play being a possibility, so they kept two guys near the sidelines midfield. 

And Aaron Rodgers is a quick thinker.  He faked the face mask grab.  If you look at the slow motion gif, as he's being spun around, he sees another defender coming at him.  The first defender's hand is already off of his facemask, but Rodgers ducks on his own power to avoid the hit but twists himself in the same direction he was heading, then pops up and calls for the flag.

He's quick witted.  That's a big part of his success.

There's no doubt in my mind he faked the face mask. (Rodgers) Am is right. Plays & penalties need to be reviewed under 2 minutes. Too many games suffer because the lack of it. 

Get it right!

8 hours ago, CoachLite said:

How quickly we forget Toler and the "fail Mary" a few weeks ago.

I didn't forget it, but I didn't feel sorry for the Colts either.

Lots of differences, though. Untimed down, while the Texans still could use the sideline. They were at the 42, the Packers were 60 yards out. And the Lions played to stop a lateral instead of playing the Hail Mary. Toler was awful on that play, but there was nothing wrong with the defensive call. 

Holy moly man GB gets dominated by Motor City for 3 Qtrs and yet somehow on Rogers birthday he connects with Rogers to end Matthew Stafford's season. In the immortal words of Stephen A. Smith, "He's a BBBaaaddd Man!"

Mostly, I just love it because Aaron only threw 1 pick & he still played better than Brett Farve would have done in his prime. haha Sorry to disappoint all the "Discount Double Check" detractors out there. You know who you are. Enough said.

27 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Holy moly man GB gets dominated by Motor City for 3 Qtrs and yet somehow on Rogers birthday he connects with Rogers to end Matthew Stafford's season. In the immortal words of Stephen A. Smith, "He's a BBBaaaddd Man!"

Mostly, I just love it because Aaron only threw 1 pick & he still played better than Brett Farve would have done in his prime. haha Sorry to disappoint all the "Discount Double Check" detractors out there. You know who you are. Enough said.

Is this real

Couple things.  First, in real time, it looked like the masked was grabbed and tugged in real time the way Rodgers head moved around.  Refs are taught that if it is close and looks like a foul, flag it.  They are to err on the side of safety.  It's a mandate, point of emphasis. Only a review may change that, but it is not reviewable.

Next, the Left DE needs to be questioned.  What was his responsibility on that play?  If contain, he failed miserably and the loss is on him.  If rush the passer, then it is on Caldwell and his group. Even when only rushing 3, you can't let A Rod get free out to the right.  Because then he can reach the end zone.  If they contain and force Rodgers left, I do not think he can get i into the end zone. The LDE failed one way or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Is this real

Yep, 100% authentic. If you lived in Wisconsin during Brett Favre's entire career from beginning to end as a Packer player, you'd know exactly what I mean too. 

Did Brett bring a title back to Lambeau Field? Yes, he did. Does he deserve credit for that? Absolutely. Was he a mentor to Aaron? Somewhat, Brett did teach how to use his voice to make LBs & pass rushers to jump early? Sure. But, I also remember comments from #4 like this: "It's not my job to teach Aaron anything. Nobody taught me."

Ah Brett, as a captain on the team, what if you get injured & can't play? As the face of the Packers don't you think it's wise to prepare for that possibility? And, if you just keep throwing TDs as opposed to turnovers you have nothing to worry about right?

Mostly, I will never forgive Brett for how he held GB hostage for almost 4 bleeping years of will I retire or won't I? Isn't this merry go round media blitz fun? Ah no not for the WI fanbase it sure as hades wasn't...I live in WI. I lived thru this whole farce & Favre was just being a pain in caboose because he loved it the attention & he refused to stop it by making a darn decision & sticking to it.

Aaron Rogers is a better QB than Brett Favre could ever dream of being & even though this is probably my bias talking, Rogers doesn't make stupid throws at the worst possible times. He doesn't throw crazy shovel passes or throw across his body like Brett excelled at & Brett never took ownership of picks either. Aaron will say "My fault. I shouldn't have thrown that ball" at a post press conference loss. Did Brett ever admit a pick was his fault? I can't remember him doing that like ever. Maybe once, but it's rare like water in the desert.

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yep, 100% authentic. If you lived in Wisconsin during Brett Favre's entire career from beginning to end as a Packer player, you'd know exactly what I mean too. 

Did Brett bring a title back to Lambeau Field? Yes, he did. Does he deserve credit for that? Absolutely. Was he a mentor to Aaron? Somewhat, Brett did teach how to use his voice to make LBs & pass rushers to jump early? Sure. But, I also remember comments from #4 like this: "It's not my job to teach Aaron anything. Nobody taught me."

Ah Brett, as a captain on the team, what if you get injured & can't play? As the face of the Packers don't you think it's wise to prepare for that possibility? And, if you just keep throwing TDs as opposed to turnovers you have nothing to worry about right?

Mostly, I will never forgive Brett for how he held GB hostage for almost 4 bleeping years of will I retire or won't I? Isn't this merry go round media blitz fun? Ah no not for the WI fanbase it sure as hades wasn't...I live in WI. I lived thru this whole farce & Favre was just being a pain in caboose because he loved it the attention & he refused to stop it by making a darn decision & sticking to it.

Aaron Rogers is a better QB than Brett Favre could ever dream of being & even though this is probably my bias talking, Rogers doesn't make stupid throws at the worst possible times. He doesn't throw crazy shovel passes or throw across his body like Brett excelled at & Brett never took ownership of picks either. Aaron will say "My fault. I shouldn't have thrown that ball" at a post press conference loss. Did Bret ever admit a pick was his fault? I can't remember him doing that like ever. Maybe once, but it's rare like water in the desert.

Brett Favre never lost to the Lions at home, and he played a few years when the Lions and Packers played 3 times if you get my drift.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Couple things.  First, in real time, it looked like the masked was grabbed and tugged in real time the way Rodgers head moved around.  Refs are taught that if it is close and looks like a foul, flag it.  They are to err on the side of safety.  It's a mandate, point of emphasis. Only a review may change that, but it is not reviewable.

Next, the Left DE needs to be questioned.  What was his responsibility on that play?  If contain, he failed miserably and the loss is on him.  If rush the passer, then it is on Caldwell and his group. Even when only rushing 3, you can't let A Rod get free out to the right.  Because then he can reach the end zone.  If they contain and force Rodgers left, I do not think he can get i into the end zone.

The LDE failed one way or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8

A very well written post CBFL. I especially liked what I bolded from your post. The refs are taught to make that call 9 times out of 10 & Aaron's helmet did move. If I remember correctly, Aaron's chin strap even moved on that play. Contact was definitely made.

14 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Brett Favre never lost to the Lions at home, and he played a few years when the Lions and Packers played 3 times if you get my drift.

The bulk of my post summarized Brett's Green Bay career collectively. I wasn't really addressing or singling out a division foe, the Lions in this case, exclusively in my original post on this topic BC.

Okay fine, Brett never lost to the Lions. Swell. I care about rings plural not 1 regular season game overall.

I won't guarantee a 2nd ring for Rogers & yes, Brett came within a hair of probably winning a 2nd one in 2009. I just have a strong inclination that Aaron will get another ring before he hangs it up in Big Cheesehead Country.

Brett was talented & worthy of a yellow jacket, but I don't forget how #4 chose to end things in the Dairy State. I just can't erase that from my memory banks sorry.

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

The bulk of my post summarized Brett's Green Bay career collectively. I wasn't really addressing or singling out a division foe, the Lions in this case, exclusively in my original post on this topic BC.

Okay fine, Brett never lost to the Lions. Swell. I care about rings plural not 1 regular season game overall.

I won't guarantee a 2nd ring for Rogers & Yes, Brett came with a hair of probably winning a 2nd one in 2009. I just have a strong inclination that Aaron will get another ring before he hangs it up in Big Cheesehead Country.

Well the bulk of this thread (including the title) was about was about the Packers/Lions game last night and anybody not still obsessed with that divorce thing asked themselves the same question I did after that rant from Mars.

10 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Well the bulk of this thread (including the title) was about was about the Packers/Lions game last night and anybody not still obsessed with that divorce thing asked themselves the same question I did after that rant from Mars.

If you lived thru the divorce personally or resided in that same state as the breakup as a fan, believe that wound cuts deep & it will never symbolically heal no matter how much time passes. And really how hard is it for Brett to say "I wanna stay in WI or leave & actually mean it?" Not really that difficult to me.

With Brett it always comes down to 2 things: Picks & responsibility for his own actions. And if I really wanted to push the issue, I could say that both QBs have the same amount of rings, what exactly separates Favre from the pack? Answer: Nothing because Brett lost to both Denver & Louisiana. But, I won't. I'll be nice.

26 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

If you lived thru the divorce personally or resided in that same state as the breakup as a fan, believe that wound cuts deep & it will never symbolically heal no matter how much time passes. And really how hard is it for Brett to say "I wanna stay in WI or leave & actually mean it?" Not really that difficult to me.

With Brett it always comes down to 2 things: Picks & responsibility for his own actions. And if I really wanted to push the issue, I could say that both QBs have the same amount of rings, what exactly separates Favre from the pack? Answer: Nothing because Brett lost to both Denver & Louisiana. But, I won't. I'll be nice.

You don't have to have lived in WI to know what was up for the last few years. A view from a step back is more illuminating actually. If you believed he was going to retire more than once before 2010...it's on you for buying it. O and you also don't have to have lived in WI to have seen that stadium in WI cheering him on last week. Those people looked pretty symbolically healed to me.

Brett lost to Denver and NO because he made it to Denver and NO, something Rodgers has only done once more than the other 1 time thanks to the abomination that was that Cowboys game. And Brett has never not owned up to a pick or his end of the divorce. 

39 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

You don't have to have lived in WI to know what was up for the last few years. A view from a step back is more illuminating actually. If you believed he was going to retire more than once before 2010...it's on you for buying it. O and you also don't have to have lived in WI to have seen that stadium in WI cheering him on last week. Those people looked pretty symbolically healed to me.

Brett lost to Denver and NO because he made it to Denver and NO, something Rodgers has only done once more than the other 1 time thanks to the abomination that was that Cowboys game. And Brett has never not owned up to a pick or his end of the divorce. 

Clearly, you don't get it BC. Living thru this fiasco matters because it's in my backyard & on my doorstep. I would have loved distance or the luxury of distance from afar, but Brett being Brett, he had to drag his feet because the media enabled him. I didn't care what the hades he did. Just make a decision & don't deviate from whatever you choose Brett.

2 welcome back to Lambeau Field ceremonies to retire Brett's number in the Packers Ring Of Fame isn't going make people forget the hades he put fans thru in nearly a 4 year span. If you believe that, your delusional. It is possible to revere a QB's achievements & still have disdain over what he did. Fans called it Limbo Field as opposed to Lambeau Field in it's retirement/non retirement heyday. ESPN showed that lamp commercial almost non-stop. 

Really? Can't you see the big picture here? I wasn't breaking down why Favre lost 2 SBs. I was simply saying that all the "Discount Double Check" detractors don't have a leg to stand on elevating Favre over Rogers because the number of SBs is equal in scope.