Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South excuse lovers will love this

DalTXColtsFan

Let's face it, this division has been horrible.  It's going to take a while for that narrative to change, primarily since the talking heads today are lazy, don't do much research on their own, and end up parroting each other.  Fans usually go along with the national narrative.  

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure how Houston is 5th and Indy is 6th?

Indy is in 1st place in the AFC South, and Houston is in 2nd,   so something seems not quite right.

And even though the division may have two teams in the playoffs now,  it doesn't make a difference.   This only means something if they're announcing the playoff teams this week -- which no one is.

When we put two teams in the playoffs at the end of the regular season, THEN -- and ONLY THEN -- will it mean something.     

Sorry,  didn't mean to burst your bubble,  but there it is....

True!

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

All I'm saying is..............

Don't read too much into week 11,  because the results could be totally different after week 17.

As I said in another post in this thread,  if you read too much into week 11,  what's our claim,   that now we're only the 7th best/worst division and not the 8th best/worst division?     Is that really much of a big deal?

I personally don't care about the status of the division, so it's unimportant to me. I want the Colts to be good, but I don't care whether the other teams are good or bad. 

But critics of the division don't wait until the year is over to trash it. I don't see why someone has to wait to give it some credit. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I personally don't care about the status of the division, so it's unimportant to me. I want the Colts to be good, but I don't care whether the other teams are good or bad. 

But critics of the division don't wait until the year is over to trash it. I don't see why someone has to wait to give it some credit. 

I don't mind credit,  but the original comments,  plus the follow-up comments from the OP were written as if the season is over and he had provided proof that the AFC South was much improved and the so-called experts were wrong and just not paying attention.    

I think too many people here are reacting as if someone is trying to tear down what the Colts have accomplished the last 12-15 year or so.    As if we're only successful because the division sucked.    I don't view it that way,  but many here seem to.

Just my observation from a distance,  but I could easily be wrong....

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't mind credit,  but the original comments,  plus the follow-up comments from the OP were written as if the season is over and he had proved proof that the AFC South was much improved and the so-called experts were wrong and just not paying attention.    

I think too many people here are reacting as if someone is trying to tear down what the Colts have accomplished the last 12-15 year or so.    As if we're only successful because the division sucked.    I don't view it that way,  but many here seem to.

Just my observation from a distance,  but I could easily be wrong....

Nope. You're not wrong about that. That's exactly how some view the Colts' success over the last 15 years or so. I don't view it that way, either. And, it shouldn't even be questioned from a learned fan of the NFL. Winning games is far more important than who you've played these days. Not to say it doesn't matter. It does. The parity is far more superior than the past. So, it lends credence to the fact of your viewpoint & mine in a much better light than most think.

36 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Nope. You're not wrong about that. That's exactly how some view the Colts' success over the last 15 years or so. I don't view it that way, either. And, it shouldn't even be questioned from a learned fan of the NFL. Winning games is far more important than who you've played these days. Not to say it doesn't matter. It does. The parity is far more superior than the past. So, it lends credence to the fact of your viewpoint & mine in a much better light than most think.

Yeah a lot of fans of other teams say the reason why we have been so successful in the Luck era is because of our Division eventhough outside of the Division we are 23-21 in the Luck era over .500. It would be 23-16 if not for the Patriots, that 0-5 vs the Patriots hurts the record a tad. We have had great wins outside of the Division in the Luck era = Packers 2012, Seahawks 2013, at49ers 2013 when they were Very Good, Chiefs twice 2013/once atChiefs, Broncos 2013, atBroncos 2014, Bengals 2014, Ravens 2014, Broncos 2015, and even the Falcons were 6-3 when we just beat them in Atlanta.

So what? The Colts had no control over what division the NFL put them in. If the AFC south has been bad it's not the Colts that have made it that way. It was and is up to the other teams in the AFC south to change, not for the Colts and their fans to complain about. For years we seen other south teams gearing up their defenses to stop Manning. That didn't work. A couple have finally realized that by signing QBs that will make them more competitive is their only chance to keep up with the Colts. I do see a more competitive AFC south in the future. As far as what the media or other fans say and feel? I couldn't care less.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Houston could lose this week playing in Buffalo.

I really hope so.  It's going to be very, very difficult for the Colts to beat the Steelers.  As much as people pin the woes on the offense this year, I think we are going to see the D get lit up on Sunday.  Maybe Matt & Co can keep the Steelers O off the field with long, methodical clock eating drives and no turnovers. 

16 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I really hope so.  It's going to be very, very difficult for the Colts to beat the Steelers.  As much as people pin the woes on the offense this year, I think we are going to see the D get lit up on Sunday.  Maybe Matt & Co can keep the Steelers O off the field with long, methodical clock eating drives and no turnovers. 

Yeah this is going to be a tough game, hopefully the Bills come through for us so it takes less pressure off of us Sunday Night. I am not saying we cant win but it's going to be tough playing them there. They torched us last season and we even put up 34 points and had Andrew.

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what? The Colts had no control over what division the NFL put them in. If the AFC south has been bad it's not the Colts that have made it that way. It was and is up to the other teams in the AFC south to change, not for the Colts and their fans to complain about. For years we seen other south teams gearing up their defenses to stop Manning. That didn't work. A couple have finally realized that by signing QBs that will make them more competitive is their only chance to keep up with the Colts. I do see a more competitive AFC south in the future. As far as what the media or other fans say and feel? I couldn't care less.

I know what you are saying but that is how the general media thinks and most fans think. I don't agree with their thinking either as I pointed out several wins over contending teams we have had over the last 4 seasons outside of the Division. Technically if Colts fans wanted too, we could say the Pats have feasted on a weak AFC East for years too. That Division hasn't been nothing to brag about either over most years since Brady has been QB.

I'm anxious to see what the Colts look like once the division gets better. Tennessee has a QB now. The Jaguars have a QB and good receivers, and are getting better on defense. The Texans don't have a franchise QB but they always play the Colts close.

In another year or 2 I'd like to see how the Colts do when the division isn't garbage.

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm anxious to see what the Colts look like once the division gets better. Tennessee has a QB now. The Jaguars have a QB and good receivers, and are getting better on defense. The Texans don't have a franchise QB but they always play the Colts close.

In another year or 2 I'd like to see how the Colts do when the division isn't garbage.

It is very possible both the Colts and Texans could make the Playoffs this season. Having possibly 2 10-6 teams in the same Division or a 10-6 and 9-7 team would prove the Division doesn't completely stink. Last season the NFC South didn't have 1 team with a winning record.

8 minutes ago, s.e ky bengals said:

Shout to the Colts fan up in here, to say GO COLTS!!!! This week anyways:P the colts better watch out for Mitchell, I'm sure you guys and the  team know this. I'm sure he's going be out to revenge the "dirty" hit from Burfict. Anyways good luck. 

Thanks. It will be tough beating them in Pitt. I don't think you guys are in any danger of losing the Division though. Bengals should win 12 games that will do it.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is very possible both the Colts and Texans could make the Playoffs this season. Having possibly 2 10-6 teams in the same Division or a 10-6 and 9-7 team would prove the Division doesn't completely stink. Last season the NFC South didn't have 1 team with a winning record.

Good luck with two teams coming out coming outta of south colts own that whole division :bomb::bomb::bomb:seems you're forgetting about KC,Stoolers,Bills ,Jets and Oakland any of which could possibly and most likely beat out the south for wild card. Either these teams can get in especially stoolers and KC:scratch: just don't see Texans winning that division colts will imo

1 minute ago, s.e ky bengals said:

Good luck with two teams as wild cards coming outta of south:bomb::bomb::bomb:seems you're forgetting about KC,Stoolers,Bills ,Jets and Oakland any of which could possibly and most likely beat out the south for wild card. 

Well 1 would be the Division winner hopefully being Indy but that last WildCard spot could be a 9-7 team.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well 1 would be the Division winner hopefully being Indy but that last WildCard spot could be a 9-7 team.

Yea I edited it. Just don't see no one but colts out of south but any given Sunday. Don't think a wc comes outta afcs 

On side note good site you guys and gals(?) have here. Mike Brown took our official board away:thmdown:, but the good members there got us one up and running the day after the announcing of it closing. Just to throw it out you guys are welcome to come over. We have a Coltsfan over there he needs the back up. :P 

28 minutes ago, s.e ky bengals said:

Shout to the Colts fan up in here, to say GO COLTS!!!! This week anyways:P the colts better watch out for Mitchell, I'm sure you guys and the  team know this. I'm sure he's going be out to revenge the "dirty" hit from Burfict. Anyways good luck. 

Thanks, s.e my bengals. My family are mostly Colts/Bengals fans. Not a "Stoolers" fan, either. :)

You guys are doing great. Keep it up. I really hope Dalton comes out guns-blazing in the Playoffs. Until, if at all, he ends up playing Indy. :)

2 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Thanks, s.e my bengals. My family are mostly Colts/Bengals fans. Not a "Stoolers" fan, either. :)

You guys are doing great. Keep it up. I really hope Dalton comes out guns-blazing in the Playoffs. Until, if at all, he ends up playing Indy. :)

ColtRider Ty I hope Dalton has turned a corner he's taken a leadership role which was usually whits position. I pretty confident we get our first playoff victory since I was 17. A 1/4 century is a long wait between victories 

:hissy:

On 12/2/2015, 11:39:25, ColtRider said:

Show me other divisions in football that do not include "pathetic" records every year. They're few and far between. There's usually one/two teams with losing records each year. That's 25-50% of that divisional record. To state across the board that the AFC South is "pathetic" is a misnomer. Besides, divisional opponents play better against each other year to year. Do they not?

btw ... Let's take a look at the top team in the AFC South for the last 15 years. Pathetic? No way. So, an unequivocal lateral statement about the AFC South is false.

The AFC East has 25 wins, the AFC North has 21, the AFC South has 18

The NFC East has 17, the NFC North has 25, the NFC South has 26, and the NFC West has 22.  

The NFC East and the AFC South are pathetic.  

2 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

The AFC East has 25 wins, the AFC North has 21, the AFC South has 18

The NFC East has 17, the NFC North has 25, the NFC South has 26, and the NFC West has 22.  

The NFC East and the AFC South are pathetic.  

PM18. Do you understand my post from which you are quoting this year's records only? You cannot evaluate the entire AFC South from one year only. Thus, stating unilateral "pathetic iss" from inception of the division is false. Besides that, the Colts over the last 15 years have not even come close to that choice of words.

19 hours ago, ColtRider said:

PM18. Do you understand my post from which you are quoting this year's records only? You cannot evaluate the entire AFC South from one year only. Thus, stating unilateral "pathetic iss" from inception of the division is false. Besides that, the Colts over the last 15 years have not even come close to that choice of words.

The AFC South is pathetic.

On 12/2/2015, 12:43:58, Bogie said:

"AFC south excuse lovers"

Nice job with the persecution complex, that's lovely. Keep it up and you'll sound like religious fanatics, and that's always fun. Sports does share a lot of similarities with religion anyway. 

The AFC South finally had a tough year by having to play the oh so terrible NFC South, that everyone picked on and joked about last year, despite historically being a much more competitive division that comes down to the wire. And besides the NFC South, they had to play the AFC East; another poor division just cause New England wins it every year. What a shock that the NFC South and AFC East can give teams some tough games! 

We evil witch hunters don't tell you that your division is awful cause we want to burn you at the stake. Historically, the AFC South is trash and has been since it's existence. It's only produced one team since 2002 that's made it past the AFC Divisional round, and the Colts are that team.

I defend the NFC South, cause as bad as it looks, there is 2 Super Bowl winners, and 3 of the 4 teams have reached the Super Bowl, and counting the one that didn't, they did at least make it to the NFC title game. And it's been competitive in the sense, there was no repeat division winner up until Carolina last year. 

Don't worry though, it's OK. You're safe here. There might be some evil people in DA MEDIA that have similar opinions to mine, but you outnumber me 1 to 100, so rest well at night, I am not here to burn you at the stake. :P

Talking about religion is against the rules here.    I have to believe this post will be removed 

On 12/2/2015, 10:26:23, ColtRider said:

Nope. You're not wrong about that. That's exactly how some view the Colts' success over the last 15 years or so. I don't view it that way, either. And, it shouldn't even be questioned from a learned fan of the NFL. Winning games is far more important than who you've played these days. 

On 12/3/2015, 12:42:07, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know what you are saying but that is how the general media thinks and most fans think. I don't agree with their thinking either as I pointed out several wins over contending teams we have had over the last 4 seasons outside of the Division. Technically if Colts fans wanted too, we could say the Pats have feasted on a weak AFC East for years too. That Division hasn't been nothing to brag about either over most years since Brady has been QB.

When did this whole "AFC South is bad and therefore diminishes the Colts success" start? The Colts have always been regarded as one of the best teams in the league, regardless of the division. It is only here that I have read that their success is attributed only to playing in the AFC South.  That's silly.

Think about it. The Colts play only 6 out of their 16 games against teams in their division. They play 10 games against everyone else. And since they always win their division,  they always play the previous year's division winners in the AFC. They seem to play the Pats, the Steelers, and the Broncos every year. In their earlier years with Manning, they played Pats, the Chargers and the Steelers who were some of the best teams teams then. So, no, the division does not take away from the Colts' success. 

23 hours ago, ColtRider said:

I think it is against the rules to feed the trolls. Best to ignore some posts. (I am referring to the post you quoted.)☺

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

When did this whole "AFC South is bad and therefore diminishes the Colts success" start? The Colts have always been regarded as one of the best teams in the league, regardless of the division. It is only here that I have read that their success is attributed only to playing in the AFC South.  That's silly.

Think about it. The Colts play only 6 out of their 16 games against teams in their division. They play 10 games against everyone else. And since they always win their division,  they always play the previous year's division winners in the AFC. They seem to play the Pats, the Steelers, and the Broncos every year. In their earlier years with Manning, they played Pats, the Chargers and the Steelers who were some of the best teams teams then. So, no, the division does not take away from the Colts' success. 

I think it is against the rules to feed the trolls. Best to ignore some posts. (I am referring to the post you quoted.)☺

People take it too personally. Most with half a brain realize the Colts for quite a while now have been among the best teams in the league, or at least among the AFC. If people say the division is bad so be it......it has been shaky at times. However with the years the division has been bad it don't take away from the Colts success.

I don't get the complex some have with the division stuff.

On 12/3/2015, 9:19:27, s.e ky bengals said:

On side note good site you guys and gals(?) have here. Mike Brown took our official board away:thmdown:, but the good members there got us one up and running the day after the announcing of it closing. Just to throw it out you guys are welcome to come over. We have a Coltsfan over there he needs the back up. :P 

Welcome new Bengals fan. Fine team you all got this season, wish you had beaten Houston....

50 minutes ago, Jules said:

People take it too personally. Most with half a brain realize the Colts for quite a while now have been among the best teams in the league, or at least among the AFC. If people say the division is bad so be it......it has been shaky at times. However with the years the division has been bad it don't take away from the Colts success.

I don't get the complex some have with the division stuff.

I agree, Jules. "it has been shaky at times" (AFC South). What NFL division hasn't "at times"?

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, NFLfan. I agree. Looking for arguments for arguments sake. Sometimes these posts need response such as yours. Back tracking to make a point sometimes hits my fancy. :)

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Since the formation of the AFC South, the Colts have won the division 9 times and went one and done 5 times during that stretch.  

48 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I agree, Jules. "it has been shaky at times" (AFC South). What NFL division hasn't "at times"?

I just wish the division talk wasn't such an easy way to get Colts fans paranoid too. The truth is yes many NFL fans for years have been saying it's a crap division. Does it bug me? No. Since most of those same NFL fans also have realized we have often been a legit team.

I am pretty confident in the Colts success, we all should be.

And all divisions go through ups and downs like you said.