Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Postgame reactions (merge)

azcolt

My in depth analysis of last night's game:

Same crap different week.

Colts abandoned the run AGAIN in the 4th Qtr and OT.

Offensive game plan AGAIN was horrible.  Run plays were telegraphed.  Pass plays were vanilla.

Andrew Luck AGAIN played poorly for 3 1/2 quarters.

Offensive playmakers didn't show up to play for 3 1/2 quarters AGAIN.  Very little separation. (TY Hilton, Dwayne Allen, etc. Much of that is Luck's fault for missing throws tho)

Defense played well enough to win the game but the Offense failed to take advantage.

Adam V. is a BEAST and should have won the game for us.

Summation:  This loss is a good example of this teams woes: Poor coaching/ game planning combined with poor player execution. 

This! SSDD

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He was predictable and unimaginative for much of the game. His constant 3rd and 1 obvious runs, were snuffed out way before the ball was snapped

Pep isn't a good coordinator, but he ran because Luck was awful for most of the game. I know the rain is a reason for that, but I cant give him the benefit of the doubt due to previous slow starts.

You cannot turn the ball over and expect to win. He can't keep forcing things into coverage, throwing late to the middle of the field, and staring down his targets.

Doing these things will not always turnout good. That said, I think Pep could've called much better plays in certain situations, that last play before the FG to go into overtime was awful.

I do.  Luck needs to stop throwing picks and locking in on receivers.  Pep needs to learn what a balanced offense is.

My primary concern.  Open your eyes, look around, look off defenders, pump fake, throw an accurate ball for a change, SOMETHING, cause what he has been doing has been losing the games for us all year.

Because I feel if many of those throws were completed like they should have been or the guy makes decisions to run the ball for the first down instead of throwing into double coverage the outcome is different and the outlook on Pep is different. Not everything the guy calls is horrible. I think the bigger issues were execution based. The first half vs the second half was a tale of better execution and better decision making by the QB. Also better weather so we were able to pass more. I think a lot of the first half playcalling was limited quite a bit by the weather. Wasn't a whole lot that could be done. I just think Luck was the bigger issue. Pep is not blameless so I'm not saying that. Some of the short down and distance playcalls to pick up first does were a little iffy.

How many passing downs did we have with no crossing receivers, no one running an intermediate route, everyone 10+ yards down the field with their back to the QB?

How many times did we run an actual play action fake?

How many screens did we try?

And why can't we run screens effectively? Isn't that on the offensive coaching?

The play calling was dreadful all game long. The common sense stuff that worked late against the Titans and early against the Pats and then late against the Panthers was entirely missing from the gameplan all night. It wasn't until we picked up the tempo and Luck started making a lot of calls at the line that he was able to get in a rhythm, and that's the second week in a row we've seen exactly that happen. Luck isn't playing well, but Pep is clearly a hindrance. A good OC would come out of the gates with what works, which is what we did against the Pats, and then we abandoned it in the second half (again, on coaching). 

We can talk about Luck's bad game as long as we'd like. He clearly didn't play well. But Pep's play calling is a separate issue, albeit related. And his play calling is awful, bottom line, as is his gameplanning. 

At one point Luck started taking what the defense have him and took throws underneath. I saw him going through his progressions and he was making the right reads, it was beautiful. I'm thinking, where was this before Luck, you still have it in you.

Then of course he throws it late down the middle to Fleener to end the game. -__-.

I still like the glimpses of what I saw. He can still ball. Turnovers killed us in the end. Pep needs to help his QB out with the play calling.

At one point Luck started taking what the defense have him and took throws underneath. I saw him going through his progressions and he was making the right reads, it was beautiful. I'm thinking, where was this before Luck, you still have it in you.

Then of course he throws it late down the middle to Fleener to end the game. -__-.

I still like the glimpses of what I saw. He can still ball. Turnovers killed us in the end. Pep needs to help his QB out with the play calling.

Pep has already made it clear he does not think Luck can handle the short offense like Matt so you are not going to get the short passing game.  

My only reaction is I think I am done watching the Colts until at least the third quarter because they never show up in the first half so why should I.   :pokerface:

Very poor effort for three and a half quarters , I guess you could say good effort for half a quarters, this is not a great Panther team, they have barely beaten seven not very good teams, watch next week when they get beat down, playing their first opponent with a winning record. I just don't see anything to be proud of at all, unless this is bowling, where everyone gets a trophy. It's not whining to point out that this team sucked for three and a half quarters, it did, there are no participation awards in football.

For you to pencil in GB to win @ Carolina is disrespectful to the Panthers. The way Denver shut down GB's offense is the way how Carolina can do so, and that's hit Rodgers repeatedly & they're the #1 rushing team in football while GB is 25th in stopping the run so they'll likely keep him off the field. Also excluding Denver, the rest of GB's opponents have a combined record of 17-29 so don't get on Carolina for not playing anybody with a winning record. I still believe it'll end up being a really good game though.

Regardless of the remaining schedule, I am encouraged with this team.  We stayed with the Pats and except for the 4 down punt fiasco, we would have been within 1 score of them.  With NO we didn't fold like a cheap suit.  Again another 1 score game.  And last night, Panthers undefeated at home and we take them to OT!  Yes, we need a better OLine and a rush DE.  Seems to me that the future is somewhat bright.  Just have to get Andrew to not try to win every game with one long pass.  thoughts?

Offense took too long to get in gear and Luck continues to make horrible passes.  Again, stupid drive-killing penalties.  Defense was pretty good, but they get equal blame for the loss with Luck - they needed ONE stop after our OT FG and couldn't get it done.

Offense took too long to get in gear and Luck continues to make horrible passes.  Again, stupid drive-killing penalties.  Defense was pretty good, but they get equal blame for the loss with Luck - they needed ONE stop after our OT FG and couldn't get it done.

Same tune, different week and opponent=lost.

Regardless of the remaining schedule, I am encouraged with this team.  We stayed with the Pats and except for the 4 down punt fiasco, we would have been within 1 score of them.  With NO we didn't fold like a cheap suit.  Again another 1 score game.  And last night, Panthers undefeated at home and we take them to OT!  Yes, we need a better OLine and a rush DE.  Seems to me that the future is somewhat bright.  Just have to get Andrew to not try to win every game with one long pass.  thoughts?

Thoughts? This is 2000's version at times of needing better OL, better rusher; the list goes on and on.

We had two penalties for fifteen yards. The weather, Luck and Pep killed our drives. Our defense kept us in that game. Did you even watch it?

When is one going to go our way

Ahhhh, and that's the beauty of the game of football, right?? I love it

I feel for close to 2 decades now we've had our fair share of "breaks" that have resulted in a lot more "good" Sunday's over bad, and even with some awful breaks like a 2011 season or circumstances that lead to the losses in the biggest games (NE / Saints in Super Bowl) it's ALL good, and we have it good. We don't/won't stay down for long, never have, and part of me thinks these types of situations in life/sports are good for the people involved, from org/coaches/players/fans. Just sit back, tryyyyy to keep calm and really look at what's trying to be shown to all of you/us on some deeper ishhhh...

And hey maybe I sound like some rambling hippie or something, but to each his or her own. Like for me, I'm an emotional person, like most with their favorite teams, but to be able to sit back and watch a game a little differently as I started getting older and older did a lot. Like... Going down 7-0 or 14-0 isn't the end of the game/world, or being able to lay off of my favorite players and give credit where it's due when an opposing player, even someone I despise, makes a good play, that's what it's all about. And it's embarrassing thinking about it because I've played the game and made some great plays, given up some really bad, and have had those moments where it couldn't get any better on my end but the other player makes a great play, so you just have to give props and keep it moving, and sitting in front of my tv going crazy during games it's like, "wow, really?!"

& hey this team is ticking me offffff, so I get it guys, just think sometimes it's just like "omg

Omg boo boo, poor me omg this is soooo not fair!!!", and it's like thank god you're not the people I have to rely on in a stressful situation I can't handle myself because the character shows if you can't handle a colts game, when things really break down, how will y'all act?...... It could be so much worse than losing football games with Luck being a turnover machine.

Anyway... And lastly...

I think this could do Luck and the crew some good, long term. People may argue that it can also ruin him for good or whatever else, but given the character be displays pushing along, I doubt that.

It's all good, we're in this together. Some of you make me so mad with what you say and how you act, I can't even lie, but my poo stinks just like the next person so it's all love. I love comment sections/forums and respect everyone having an opinion, and the opportunity to state it, so it's all good... Us against the world, nothing but love.. Go colts

How many passing downs did we have with no crossing receivers, no one running an intermediate route, everyone 10+ yards down the field with their back to the QB?

How many times did we run an actual play action fake?

How many screens did we try?

And why can't we run screens effectively? Isn't that on the offensive coaching?

The play calling was dreadful all game long. The common sense stuff that worked late against the Titans and early against the Pats and then late against the Panthers was entirely missing from the gameplan all night. It wasn't until we picked up the tempo and Luck started making a lot of calls at the line that he was able to get in a rhythm, and that's the second week in a row we've seen exactly that happen. Luck isn't playing well, but Pep is clearly a hindrance. A good OC would come out of the gates with what works, which is what we did against the Pats, and then we abandoned it in the second half (again, on coaching). 

We can talk about Luck's bad game as long as we'd like. He clearly didn't play well. But Pep's play calling is a separate issue, albeit related. And his play calling is awful, bottom line, as is his gameplanning. 

How much were we even able to pass in the first half of that game Supe?  We kept it on the ground for almost the entire first half especially after the turnovers.  Weren't really able to even go that route and the stats showed.  Passing game didn't even open up until the second half after the weather conditions were more favorable.  I think the OC should be better but I don't think that is what lost us that football game.   There was enough there for our Elite quarterback to make enough plays to put some points on the board and he did so in the second half when he decided he would be a little bit more sharp.  We are going to end up with some changes at the coordinator at some point before this season ends for sure I think but I still maintain he leaves enough on the bone for Luck to get us a meal.  All I'm saying......

Can't blame this one on the defense. The TO's gave Carolina a short field too often contributing to what 20 of their 29 points? The O line played well, few penalties, decent running lanes and sufficient protection in the pocket against a stout defense. Special teams were spectacular. I have always said you win as a team and lose as a team, but last night it was all on the QB. You can't give a good team that many short fields and expect to win. The first two interceptions were just bad throws. On the first one Allen was wide open for the first down and Luck threw it over his head into triple coverage with the expected result. The fumble was on Harrison. He just didn't get the ball up. I'm guessing the rain had something to do with that. The last interception was an ill advised throw, but to was also great D and a lucky bounce. As someone said earlier, if Vontae corrals the near interception we win. I'm not as much of an expert on football as some here, but I don't see how you blame last night on the coaches, they weren't throwing the bad passes and fumbling the ball. The comeback was exciting, but you are not going to beat good teams at home if you get down 17 points. 

The team has proved they have the potential to play with the big boys. If we could consistently put our first half against NE with either our second half against NO or Carolina together we could be undefeated. But as the late lamented Dandy Don would say, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a wonderful Christmas." Bottom line we are 3-5 and to quote former coach Dennis Green, "We are exactly who our record says we are."

How much were we even able to pass in the first half of that game Supe?  We kept it on the ground for almost the entire first half especially after the turnovers.  Weren't really able to even go that route and the stats showed.  Passing game didn't even open up until the second half after the weather conditions were more favorable.  I think the OC should be better but I don't think that is what lost us that football game.   There was enough there for our Elite quarterback to make enough plays to put some points on the board and he did so in the second half when he decided he would be a little bit more sharp.  We are going to end up with some changes at the coordinator at some point before this season ends for sure I think but I still maintain he leaves enough on the bone for Luck to get us a meal.  All I'm saying......

We keep talking about 'our elite QB,' but we don't really have one. We have a QB that has never been better than a 60% passer. He has the goods to be elite, and he's a huge playmaker, but he's not elite yet. And he's certainly not playing at an elite level right now.

That said, we should be doing more to put him in successful situations. High percentage passes, even in the rain. Stuff that we know works, but instead, when we did call pass plays in the first half, it was mostly long developing vertical stuff. That's why Luck had 5 completions halfway through the fourth quarter.

There was a drive in the first half where we started running the ball, and then on 3rd and 3, with the Titans stacking the box, we ran it for no gain. Perfect time for play action, Y Banana, something that might take advantage of the situation. That's bad play calling.

We obviously agree that the problem isn't all coaching; Luck isn't playing well. But it definitely starts with coaching, as we're not putting Luck in high percentage situations. If he's failing on stuff that makes sense, then we can isolate Luck, but the stuff we're calling doesn't make sense. It's not enough to 'leave some meat on the bone.' Good OCs put their best players in position to succeed, and we're not doing that because our OC isn't good. And keep in mind, I'm not the 'get rid of him, he sucks!' guy around here. But I'm convinced that Pep needs to be removed from the OC position. Whatever the problem is, he's making it worse.

That may have been because they didn't trust Harrison shotgun snapping in the rain a lot.

Yeah, that sounds about right.  We really turned the game around when we started operating out of the Shotgun and ran the No-Huddle.  Also, I think Luck needs to stop forcing throws and learn to either throw it away or run.  Things started to open up when the defense had to cover the receivers AND Luck.

This team is complete trash. We honestly look like the Browns. And that's probably exactly where we are at as a team. The only players on this team you can talk glowingly about are Moncrief, Gore, and McAfee.

The browns offense is actually better than ours. Not much, but its rated higher.

We keep talking about 'our elite QB,' but we don't really have one. We have a QB that has never been better than a 60% passer. He has the goods to be elite, and he's a huge playmaker, but he's not elite yet. And he's certainly not playing at an elite level right now.

That said, we should be doing more to put him in successful situations. High percentage passes, even in the rain. Stuff that we know works, but instead, when we did call pass plays in the first half, it was mostly long developing vertical stuff. That's why Luck had 5 completions halfway through the fourth quarter.

There was a drive in the first half where we started running the ball, and then on 3rd and 3, with the Titans stacking the box, we ran it for no gain. Perfect time for play action, Y Banana, something that might take advantage of the situation. That's bad play calling.

We obviously agree that the problem isn't all coaching; Luck isn't playing well. But it definitely starts with coaching, as we're not putting Luck in high percentage situations. If he's failing on stuff that makes sense, then we can isolate Luck, but the stuff we're calling doesn't make sense. It's not enough to 'leave some meat on the bone.' Good OCs put their best players in position to succeed, and we're not doing that because our OC isn't good. And keep in mind, I'm not the 'get rid of him, he sucks!' guy around here. But I'm convinced that Pep needs to be removed from the OC position. Whatever the problem is, he's making it worse.

Luck not playing well isn't any reason for alarm. He's just not there yet. All the top QBs go through it. Remember Andy Dalton before this season? I remember one game where he had a passer rating of like a 5, and his record/stats in prime time games were awful. Let's not forget the game a few seasons ago when Brees threw 5 INTS against the Falcons.

I don't think Luck is bad. I think people set his ceiling to high. I think he can be prime Phillip Rivers when he pulls it all together. But he's way off from being Aaron Rodgers good. I think we all just need to temper our expectations for him. He's young and surrounded by a staff that can't fix him.

When he gets the right staff around him, he'll be a great starting QB.