Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots claim Dewey McDonald off Waivers (Merge)

TKnight24

BB: Dewey... [raises eyebrow] Is your name really Dewey???

DM: Yeah, that's my name, coach.

BB: .... Okay. Well, look. I just want to know, what the devil were you guys trying to do on that 4th down fake?

[next day]

The Patriots have waived Dewey McDonald from their active roster.

Dewey says "Thanks for the opportunity to collect 3 more game day pay checks!  And I didn't even have to break a sweat! Well, except those hours spent under those interrogating lights in that confined room."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB: Dewey... [raises eyebrow] Is your name really Dewey???

DM: Yeah, that's my name, coach.

BB: .... Okay. Well, look. I just want to know, what the devil were you guys trying to do on that 4th down fake?

[next day]

The Patriots have waived Dewey McDonald from their active roster.

Probably if there was a tell on the onside kick to or if it was called on the sideline. Let's be honest...we were playing with fire that night. NO WAY a team gets TWO trick plays over on Bill in the same night. We should have had one...but the other was just testing the football gods.

I think they made him Interim HC rather than promoting one of the coordinators because they want to keep both but do not think either is ready to be a HC.  Rather than promote then demote, you put a guy with no shot at doing anything in there while you find your guy.  Campbell screwed up that plan by winning football games.  What does ownership do if he is a player favorite and fan favorite but they want someone else?

Well thought out point.  His experience is limited.  Yes he was a player, but how good is he at X's and O's?  Strategy?  Down and distance? Time clock management?  Instituting or watching for trick plays?  From where I stand, his style is effective... short term.  It has no legs to stand on.  Much like spread offense QB's start strong then get 'figured out' and brought back to earth, so will Campbell's style.  He can fill up the cupboards with assistants with headphones that report to him, but sometimes the HC doesn't have time to take a decision to committee, he has to see and react correctly, and experience counts.  You can only run so many practice with Oklahoma drills before they are no longer effective.  But if he instilled a new and lasting mindset into the players, maybe that can linger and help carry them some as well.

Probably if there was a tell on the onside kick to or if it was called on the sideline. Let's be honest...we were playing with fire that night. NO WAY a team gets TWO trick plays over on Bill in the same night. We should have had one...but the other was just testing the football gods.

Would have been fine on the fake if Whalen had known the full play. 

How come the Colts released him? Was it all the mistakes piling up?

Thanks for taking the time to write that up as it will help as I watch him play and hopefully grow with the Pats. One thing about Bill. He loves STs players. If he feels he can contribute in that area than he is more than worth it to pick up off of waivers.

He's a practice squad quality player who can cover punts and kickoffs. He does that reasonably well, so if he gets a shot, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a play or two on a punt. But there's not a lot of room for growth.

He's a practice squad quality player who can cover punts and kickoffs. He does that reasonably well, so if he gets a shot, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a play or two on a punt. But there's not a lot of room for growth.

if the Colts can't coach up a DB then there's probably not much hope long term.

if the Colts can't coach up a DB then there's probably not much hope long term.

He was only here for a year and a half, never really played safety except in preseason. I guess it's possible that he has some undiscovered ability, but it's highly unlikely. Some guys are just good gunners.

How come the Colts released him? Was it all the mistakes piling up?

Thanks for taking the time to write that up as it will help as I watch him play and hopefully grow with the Pats. One thing about Bill. He loves STs players. If he feels he can contribute in that area than he is more than worth it to pick up off of waivers.

EVERY game he was good for 2 or 3 penalties. Maily holding on punt or kick returns.

Plus, he made some other sizeable mistakes going back to last year. Without the penalties, an average special teams player... At best.

But who knows what he can develop into. I wouldn't get too excited tho.

We will see what BB does with him. Kids got some talent. He is not that bad. Good size and speed and not afraid of contact. Mostly special teamer but has enough talent to do more than that if given a chance. Guy has about 3 to 4 different degrees so he is pretty smart. Yeah he made some dumb special teams penalties against the Saints but I think he was really excited to play again coming off the PS. Didn't play under control but he is usually better than that.

I don't know, there are some guys with Engineering and Metallurgical Degrees where I work, and they definitely come up with some bonehead ideas and decisions. A piece of paper does not necessarily make you smart. It just gives off the impression that you know what you are talking about.

I don't know, there are some guys with Engineering and Metallurgical Degrees where I work, and they definitely come up with some bonehead ideas and decisions. A piece of paper does not necessarily make you smart. It just gives off the impression that you know what you are talking about.

Trust me I know!  I'm married to an engineer and she leaves me scratching my head sometimes, so you're right...

In terms of Dewey I'm just pointing out potential to absorb info. Doesn't mean he will be a productive football player automatically

Ah, no. Peoplw with advanced degrees like that are able to think in ways that the untrained can't. They are "smarter" because they are able to think and conceptualize in ways the untrained can't. Its no different than how athletes can do things less athletic people can't. Its thru training, work, and those abilities gained thru that training and work.

There are "some people" as u put it outside the norm in every level of human intelligence in people. Intelligent people make mistakes just like "dummies" stumble blindly on "acorns".

But i'll take an educated person almost every time over one who is 't. They just typically have more "tools" in their toolboxes.

Its common sense.

Would have been fine on the fake if Whalen had known the full play. 

Actually it was a penalty regardless. Why put in a play that you can't even get lined up correctly on....and not just 1 guy...the whole line. It had 0% chance to work because we weren't prepared properly to run it...Griff makes me want to pound my head against a wall but Chuck just makes me want to pound him lol.  We tried to do something were aren't....it isn't in our DNA...and the coaches didn't prepare the players nor did we even have the right personel on the field to excute the play...thats horrible coaching to end out a unit like that.  The onside kick actually worked we just got ripped off but again I HATE running an onside kick towards the opponents sideline.  I just wouldn't do it if I can avoid it.  First off that side judge stands in front of their coach getting an ear full all game and is the most pliable of all officials. Then you have their whole team jumping up and down signaling they have the ball further influencing the officials and the coaches yelling in their ear they have the ball when they don't. The officials signal to favor the team that is right next to them influencing them before they even know what has happened or who got it. It was perfectly executed and timed just to me towards the wrong sideline.

As for Bill I bet he likes Dewey's size and athletic ability....and probably does want to know what we were looking for on the fake punt and if we saw something to try the onside because most people don't pull one over on Bill and we did. Something on their kickoff coverage told us we could execute it...and did...Bill wants to correct that I'm sure of it.

Actually it was a penalty regardless.

They were prepared to take the delay of game at that point. 

As for Dewey, you're probably right that the onside kick would be more important to Bill, seeing as how we actually had that play. But I don't think you necessarily need to see anything to go for that. The kicking team has the advantage on a surprise onside, usually, because the receiving team doesn't have their hands team on the field. They can be lined up perfectly, but if you want to try, you can always rely on the element of surprise and hope that one of those blockers can't handle the ball under pressure.

Ah, no. Peoplw with advanced degrees like that are able to think in ways that the untrained can't. They are "smarter" because they are able to think and conceptualize in ways the untrained can't. Its no different than how athletes can do things less athletic people can't. Its thru training, work, and those abilities gained thru that training and work.

There are "some people" as u put it outside the norm in every level of human intelligence in people. Intelligent people make mistakes just like "dummies" stumble blindly on "acorns".

But i'll take an educated person almost every time over one who is 't. They just typically have more "tools" in their toolboxes.

Its common sense.

You don't happen to HAVE such a degree by chance do you?

They were prepared to take the delay of game at that point. 

As for Dewey, you're probably right that the onside kick would be more important to Bill, seeing as how we actually had that play. But I don't think you necessarily need to see anything to go for that. The kicking team has the advantage on a surprise onside, usually, because the receiving team doesn't have their hands team on the field. They can be lined up perfectly, but if you want to try, you can always rely on the element of surprise and hope that one of those blockers can't handle the ball under pressure.

yeah I understand the numbers and surprise...could be we saw how they were turning and running anything that could have made us think it could be successful. That said I think they just like deweys size and athleticism. Probably was on bills board when he came out. Something bill thinks is unique about him...plus I think that slater is a bit banged up so maybe they just need another gunner.

When the best thing that you can do is call a timeout and the next best thing is to take a penalty for delay and the next best is to run a play and get it called back for illegal formation and the next best is to run a play and not make a first down and the worst is fumble and NE run it in for a Td I guess it wasn't a total disaster...but there is no scenario to have a positive play that's just horrible coaching. We shouldn't have ever run a play we haven't mastered even getting lined up on much less with a player at the most crucial position on the field not knowing the play. Then when you see we didn't get lined up right you gotta call a time out....because that was a failure waiting to happen. The staff didn't put the guys in a position to succeed on that play...that's all I know..and it was a gut punch that we delivered to ourselves that NE didn't even need to do.

You don't happen to HAVE such a degree by chance do you?

Guilty. A few.

Its common sense whether you have an advanced degree or not. You don't have to have a degree to be "smart". Its relative.

But theres no doubt it wil sharpen the tools you have exponentially.

Especially in problem solving and conceptualization.

I wasn't trying to be holier than thou. Sorry if it came across that way.

I look at it this way. The more i understand the world and how things work....ALL THINGS... The more i can enjoy it.

Guilty. A few.

Its common sense whether you have an advanced degree or not. You don't have to have a degree to be "smart". Its relative.

I look at it this way. The more i understand the world and how things work....ALL THINGS... The more i can enjoy it.

I like that perspective. And yes, you do make a good point. Thank you for providung clarification without any hostility.

I like that perspective. And yes, you do make a good point. Thank you for providung clarification without any hostility.

People (friends) tell me all the time that my texting "tone" is harsh / aggressive. I NEVER intend that or see it. There is no tone in this torm of communication. And on top of that i have a very sarcastic, dry sense of humor. My mind is ALWAYS on high activity and sometimes my "humor" , or "button pushing" doesn't connect. But in my mind, i'm the funniest guy in the room. haha.

I'm here to gets the best, most up-to-date Colts into and to joke around with fellow fans.

No hostility here. (Well, maybe towards ANYTHING or anyone associated with a certain team from New Englandl. haha)

yeah I understand the numbers and surprise...could be we saw how they were turning and running anything that could have made us think it could be successful. That said I think they just like deweys size and athleticism. Probably was on bills board when he came out. Something bill thinks is unique about him...plus I think that slater is a bit banged up so maybe they just need another gunner.

When the best thing that you can do is call a timeout and the next best thing is to take a penalty for delay and the next best is to run a play and get it called back for illegal formation and the next best is to run a play and not make a first down and the worst is fumble and NE run it in for a Td I guess it wasn't a total disaster...but there is no scenario to have a positive play that's just horrible coaching. We shouldn't have ever run a play we haven't mastered even getting lined up on much less with a player at the most crucial position on the field not knowing the play. Then when you see we didn't get lined up right you gotta call a time out....because that was a failure waiting to happen. The staff didn't put the guys in a position to succeed on that play...that's all I know..and it was a gut punch that we delivered to ourselves that NE didn't even need to do.

I agree. I just get that it was supposed to be a full stop once we didn't catch them with 12 on the field. Take the delay of game, and save the timeout. Everyone but Griff was prepared.

I agree. I just get that it was supposed to be a full stop once we didn't catch them with 12 on the field. Take the delay of game, and save the timeout. Everyone but Griff was prepared.

everyone was not prepared as they didn't get lined up on the los...thus it would have been offsetting penalties but anyways Dewey wasn't really a main contributor for us and likely won't be for them either. Hopefully for his career maybe some new coaching will jump start his career.

everyone was not prepared as they didn't get lined up on the los...thus it would have been offsetting penalties but anyways Dewey wasn't really a main contributor for us and likely won't be for them either. Hopefully for his career maybe some new coaching will jump start his career.

If they jump, it's not offsetting penalties.

Guilty. A few.

Yet, for all your smarts you never learnt wool isn't magnetic :P

Dewey wasn't on the practice squad. So, yeah, they have nothing to do with each other. Now baker is no longer on the practice squad

He didn't have to be on the practice squad you cut one safety to bring another one on the practice squad and cut him too we don't have alot of safeties sitting around especially with 2 of them coming off an injury the depth is real thin at that position

Yet, for all your smarts you never learnt wool isn't magnetic :P

Guess i was absent those days in one of the many physics or chemistry classes.

But, how do u think i got the nickname WoolMAGNET?

Given that in college for other "stuff" alwAys "sticking" to me.

Ohhh...... The good old days.

haha

If they jump, it's not offsetting penalties.

No offense Supes but your really reaching lol. Fact of the matter was we couldn't even get lined up right and didn't have the proper player personel to even run the play...it was doomed from the start and everyone has responsibility...but I still think the Coaches have the most. It was horrible lets be fair. As good as the game plan for limiting Gronk was it was equally awful to throw that play out there. But I don't even remember what where discussing anymore so I'm letting it go lol.

No offense Supes but your really reaching lol. Fact of the matter was we couldn't even get lined up right and didn't have the proper player personel to even run the play...it was doomed from the start and everyone has responsibility...but I still think the Coaches have the most. It was horrible lets be fair. As good as the game plan for limiting Gronk was it was equally awful to throw that play out there. But I don't even remember what where discussing anymore so I'm letting it go lol.

I don't understand how it's a reach. They tried to get the Pats to jump offsides, and if that had worked, it would have been a first down, not offsetting penalties.

The play was obviously ill-conceived. The ball still should not have been snapped.