Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Food For Thought: Grigson on Hot Seat too? (Link Inside)

Defjamz26

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2581400-insider-buzz-colts-gm-ryan-grigson-could-be-on-chopping-block-alongside-pagano

I know some people hate speculation articles like this, but I figured if nothing else it's a good talking point. Hopefully for a peaceful discussion.

But I think he hit the nail on the head when he talked about Grigson and player acquisition. That's always where the criticism starts for me. If you want to talk about the coach, you have to start by looking at what he's been given to work with.

Another interesting point I also heard today was a Colts fan on FB saying it falls on Irsay for putting together a dysfunctional front office, which is a view I hadn't heard yet.

But yeah, just wanted to see everyone's opinions/thoughts.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2581400-insider-buzz-colts-gm-ryan-grigson-could-be-on-chopping-block-alongside-pagano

I know some people hate speculation articles like this, but I figured if nothing else it's a good talking point. Hopefully for a peaceful discussion.

But I think he hit the nail on the head when he talked about Grigson and player acquisition. That's always where the criticism starts for me. If you want to talk about the coach, you have to start by looking at what he's been given to work with.

Another interesting point I also heard today was a Colts fan on FB saying it falls on Irsay for putting together a dysfunctional front office, which is a view I hadn't heard yet.

Of course it falls on Irsay. He's the head honcho, Griggs & Pagano didn't hire themselves.

I'd like to know what he seen in Griggs? No previous experience as GM and arrogant as heck.

Your gifted a franchise qb and you surround him with unprovens.

Not that I disagree with Pagano or Grigson getting canned, but where are all of these media outlets getting this information? I feel like one person made it up, and everyone else just rolled with it. I rarely ever see a source cited even an anonymous one.

Of course it falls on Irsay. He's the head honcho, Griggs & Pagano didn't hire themselves.

I'd like to know what he seen in Griggs? No previous experience as GM and arrogant as heck.

Your gifted a franchise qb and you surround him with unprovens.

Whenever I hear people say this is the Polian era all over again, It makes me wonder if Jim saw Polian like qualities in Grigson and hired him out of nostalgia. Maybe he felt comfortable with what Polian had done and wanted something similar in his GM.

Not that I disagree with Pagano or Grigson getting canned, but where are all of these media outlets getting this information? I feel like one person made it up, and everyone else just rolled with it. I rarely ever see a source cited even an anonymous one.

I get the same feeling.

Whenever I hear people say this is the Polian era all over again, It makes me wonder if Jim saw Polian like qualities in Grigson and hired him out of nostalgia. Maybe he felt comfortable with what Polian had done and wanted something similar in his GM.

This is nothing like the Polian era. Tortured Colts fans who think the team should be better than it is (and ironically, never expected the last three years to be as successful as they were, so go figure) keep making that comparison, but there isn't a lot of similarity between Grigson and Polian.

It's also not dysfunctional. We've seen major dysfunction around the league, and that's not the Colts. 

Anyone else realize what's really happening here?

Boston is the 4th largest market in the United States. It has a very large influence on the national sports media.

99% of the people in Boston absolutely hate the Colts and want to see our team fail. They would love to see us dismantle our team and start over every time we get close to beating the patriots.

Use your brains people.

Stop buying into the media bias.

Boston is the 4th largest market in the United States. It has a very large influence on the national sports media.

99% of the people in Boston absolutely hate the Colts and want to see our team fail. They would love to see us dismantle our team and start over every time we get close to beating the patriots.

Use your brains people.

That was a spectacular attempt to connect the dots.

Because people in Boston hate the Colts,  and Boston is the 4th largest market and has "great influence" on the media,  the media is giving the Colts a bad time because Boston doesn't like us?

Really?    

Seriously?

That was a spectacular attempt to connect the dots.

Because people in Boston hate the Colts, and Boston is the 4th largest market and has "great influence" on the media, the media is giving the Colts a bad time because Boston doesn't like us?

Really?

Seriously?

Yes. Open your eyes. It's been this way for over a decade.

This is nothing like the Polian era. Tortured Colts fans who think the team should be better than it is (and ironically, never expected the last three years to be as successful as they were, so go figure) keep making that comparison, but there isn't a lot of similarity between Grigson and Polian.

It's also not dysfunctional.    We've seen major dysfunction around the league, and that's not the Colts. 

We typically see most (but not all) things pretty similarly.....    so, am I reading you right?

You don't think the Colts are dysfunctional this year?

Really?

I appreciate you saying this Bubbz. It's a primary reason why I distrust the Bleacher Report. They never cite or footnote anything, let alone highlight any links to stories with similar content for corroboration purposes. 

It's always funny to me how online stories use controversial headlines for click bait, but the authors of said columns prefer not to be fact checked in any way, shape, or form usually. [Not all journalists do this thankfully.]

In addition, how come people making claims that Grigson may be on the hot seat can never disclose who they spoke to, what department they work in, or even how Ryan's decision making draft process was viewed by say owner Jeffrey Lurie in Philadelphia or people who had daily interactions with Ryan in the scouting department to determine his judgement when it came to evaluating his hits & misses when it came to roster additions? 

I was a member of the media for 30 years and I can flat out guarantee you that you're completely and spectacularly wrong.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you don't have a single fact to back it up.

The National Media couldn't care less that people in Boston hate the Colts.    

That's what happens in a rivalry.....   fans of one team hate another team.     Big deal.    It only happens in every market every single day of the week,  24/7/365.

It means absolutely nothing.      Sorry.

We typically see most (but not all) things pretty similarly.....    so, am I reading you right?

You don't think the Colts are dysfunctional this year?

Really?

I'm assuming the OP was talking about the relationship between the front office and the head coach. And in that respect, no, I don't think they're dysfunctional.

And even with the issues the team has had so far, I wouldn't use the word dysfunctional to describe them.

I was a member of the media for 30 years and I can flat out guarantee you that you're completely and spectacularly wrong.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you don't have a single fact to back it up.

That's what happens in a rivalry..... fans of one team hate another team. Big deal. It only happens in every market every single day of the week, 24/7/365.

It means absolutely nothing. Sorry.

30 years, huh?

And you still can't see it?

Link to who you are and what you did.

I'm assuming the OP was talking about the relationship between the front office and the head coach. And in that respect, no, I don't think they're dysfunctional.

And even with the issues the team has had so far, I wouldn't use the word dysfunctional to describe them.

But the fact that the media (ESPN) is in love with the patriots and not only that but half there cast played for the patriots. I can see where he's coming from; I've felt this way before.

Use your brains people.

Oh

Dear

30 years, huh?

God...

It has been chic to be negative about the Colts in the media. The media loves them some Patriots and now some media people want to make an issue out of everything they can think of to disrespect the Colts. In their eyes we wronged their golden boy and their team. The media had over 6 months of articles to fill their void and will play it till there is no more. The media has blown up the whole deflate issue a lot more than the Colts did. The Colts just reported it. It was the media and the NFL who took it to the levels it got. It makes for clicks for the media who need something to be keep themselves being talked about. 90% of the sports media is no different than the $2 dollar rag mags you see at the checkout counter at Walmart.

Based on what's here, I'd call this tabloid TMZ journalism with zero merit, insight, or reliability DFJ26. Does that answer your question? Great to start a bonfire with at a pep rally [the article I mean] & that's about it.  

But the fact that the media (ESPN) is in love with the patriots and not only that but half there cast played for the patriots. I can see where he's coming from; I've felt this way before.

The media doesn't determine reality. I understand about all the noise and media bias and all that, which just is what it is. But just because ESPN says there's a big issue doesn't mean there is. A year ago, Jason Garrett was 'on the hot seat' and Jerry Jones was being pestered about hiring an actual GM. 

I think that the Colts are hiding the dysfunction better than others because of winning. Everyone goes the company line except McAfee did break away and discuss the fake punt in a negative light. If this season goes downhill, dysfunction may come out.

30 years, huh?

Easy there BlueShoe. Perhaps, NCF would prefer not to disclose his true identity online in a public forum & I can't blame him either. I trust his reporting credentials as a friend & don't need verification. He's an honorable guy & not a liar. I know this from detailed PM exchanges we have had in the past. 

You are free to disagree with NCF's position sure, but let's just not get adversarial shall we? I get it. You just want clarification on what lead him to have a difference of opinion on an east coast media bias. 

Easy there BlueShoe. Perhaps, NCF would prefer not to disclose his true identity online in a public forum & I can't blame him either. I trust his reporting credentials as a friend & don't need verification. He's an honorable guy & not a liar. I know this from detailed PM exchanges we have had in the past.

Anyone can claim they are any person on the internet. In order for it to have credence, it needs to be backed up with facts.

Had I said I was a member of the Colts front office would I not be asked the same question?

I think that the Colts are hiding the dysfunction better than others because of winning. Everyone goes the company line except McAfee did break away and discuss the fake punt in a negative light. If this season goes downhill, dysfunction may come out.

If this season goes downhill, I think big changes come in the offseason, so it's irrelevant. 

Anyone can claim they are any person on the internet. In order for it to have credence, it needs to be backed up with facts.

Had I said I was a member of the Colts front office would I not be asked the same question?

Your entire effort in this thread is just nonsense.

But funny, so please keep posting.

When I filmed that video clip in my mom's basement as an "NFL Insider", I thought I was just passing the time....you know, I'd already sent out 3 resumes today, so I earned a little me time.  It never crossed my mind that a prime outlet like B/R would pick it up or that actual fans would watch it and consider it a newslike substance.  

But hey, glad you all enjoyed it.  Maybe I'll get some calls from ESPN now...you know I'm definitely putting it in my demo tape.

30 years, huh?

Here's my resume.     I've removed the contact info for obvious privacy reasons.    I worked in the News Media business for 30 years.    This is one area where I know what I'm talking about.

Michael Forrest

QUALIFICATIONS

Experienced assignment editor, producer, director and writer with an expertise in news and sports.

EMPLOYMENT

2009 – Present

First Flight Entertainment, Inc.

l Feature Producer/Associate Producer (ESPN 30 for 30 Documentaries, NFL Today, John R. Wooden Awards)

2008 2009

KTLA News

l Writer

2005 2008

KFWB News

l Assignment Editor/Writer

1997 2004

KTTV News

l News Writer Good Day LA 1993 1996

KNBC News

l Sports Producer

1990 1992

KCOP News

l Sports Producer 1989 1990 CBS Sports

l Freelance Feature Producer

1980 1988

KCBS News

l Sports & Specials Producer

EDUCATION

Cal State University Northridge

l Major: Journalism / Radio-Television

HONORS

l One National Emmy Award (CBS Sports)

l Two Local Emmy Awards (KCBS, KTTV)

l Four Golden Mics (KNBC, KFWB)

And my best friend is Daniel Forer.    He worked for CBS New York for about 20 years.    He covered every major sporting event, Super Bowls, World Series, NBA Finals, NCAA Final Four,  Summer and Winter Olympics -- you name it.

You are free to disagree with NCF's position sure, but let's just not get adversarial shall we? I get it. You just want clarification on what lead him to have a difference of opinion on an east coast media bias. 

I appreciate you having my back on this SW1.....   I have no objection for BlueShoe, or anyone else asking for my qualifications.

I'm only a little surprised that it's happened now.    This is the first time in my three and a half years that someone has actually asked.    And I used to talk about my background the first year I was here.    But after a while a number of posters made it clear they weren't interested in the topic anymore so I try not to bring it up if I can help it.

Turns out I also brought it up on the NFL section of the website today because some started a thread complaining about media being the locker-rooms.     He had a number of questions and I tried to offer a number of answers.

I watched and listened to McAfee's explanation of the fake punt and I did not take it as negative. He explained what, why and how the play was called and explained what went wrong. Had the Colts lined up correctly it would have been a 1st. down. The intention of the play was to draw the Patriots into a penalty. It was Whalen who snapped the ball when he shouldn't have. Boomstick even went into detail about if the Patriots were not drawn into a penalty the Colts were to take the penalty and punt. He said he thought it was a first down because the Patriots were off sides. That penalty was negated because if the procedure penalty on the Colts There for the play was dead. The interview I seen was not negative at all. It was simple and strait to the point. If you have a different one that can show more light on your comment,  I would gladly like to see the link to it. I took mine from the Bob & Tom morning show.

It's also not dysfunctional. We've seen major dysfunction around the league, and that's not the Colts.

Again, just out of curiosity, how do you think this era is different than the polian era with the exception of not using free agency and scheme (yes I know that's a lot lol)?

Just to reiterate, I don't disagree, just wanting to hear your opinion.

Again, just out of curiosity, how do you think this era is different than the polian era with the exception of not using free agency and scheme (yes I know that's a lot lol)?

Just to reiterate, I don't disagree, just wanting to hear your opinion.

A GM's main job is adding players, right?

The primary difference is free agency and trades, which Polian came to loath and avoid. For better and worse, Grigson has used plenty of both to rebuild the roster, and while the results have been mixed, the team has done more than anyone expected it to three years ago. With Polian, there would be no Vontae Davis, but there would also be no Trent Richardson. There would have been no Cory Redding, but there would also have been no LaRon Landry. We'd probably still have Jerry Hughes, but we'd probably still have Pierre Garcon also.

That was my primary issue with Polian. There are three ways to add talent to your team, and he basically ignored two of them. He had his reasons, but he came to be overly rigid, and as his drafting faltered, his refusal to supplement his drafting led to the gradual erosion of the roster, to the point where we couldn't win a single game for over three months. 

But yeah, just wanted to see everyone's opinions/thoughts.[/quote

Irsay's is the boss he can do what he wants.]

Here's my resume.     I've removed the contact info for obvious privacy reasons.    I worked in the News Media business for 30 years.    This is one area where I know what I'm talking about.

And my best friend is Daniel Forer.    He worked for CBS New York for about 20 years.    He covered every major sporting event, Super Bowls, World Series, NBA Finals, NCAA Final Four,  Summer and Winter Olympics -- you name it.

Maybe we should start a topic "Post your CV/Resume" and the forward them all on to the Colts for consideration towards the positions of GM/FC/OC. I mean judging by some of the posts we see there must be some people who are overly qualified for the jobs :P

A GM's main job is adding players, right?

The primary difference is free agency and trades, which Polian came to loath and avoid. For better and worse, Grigson has used plenty of both to rebuild the roster, and while the results have been mixed, the team has done more than anyone expected it to three years ago. With Polian, there would be no Vontae Davis, but there would also be no Trent Richardson. There would have been no Cory Redding, but there would also have been no LaRon Landry. We'd probably still have Jerry Hughes, but we'd probably still have Pierre Garcon also.

That was my primary issue with Polian. There are three ways to add talent to your team, and he basically ignored two of them. He had his reasons, but he came to be overly rigid, and as his drafting faltered, his refusal to supplement his drafting led to the gradual erosion of the roster, to the point where we couldn't win a single game for over three months.

That's one of my knocks against Grigson. He's had so much capital to play with and it's been mixed results. For every good, there's a bad. Like you already alluded too.

But I think blowing consecutive first round picks is a bigger knock than people like to admit. Yes there are 7 rounds, but generally speaking the best players come in the first 3 rounds. And 1st round picks are a luxury.

That's what happens in a rivalry.....   fans of one team hate another team.     Big deal.    It only happens in every market every single day of the week,  24/7/365.

It means absolutely nothing.      Sorry.

Except the National Media reside in Bristol CT.  Also, there has always been a treatment of the Colts as the red-headed step child for them leaving Baltimore, locating to a city in the middle of a corn field, and playing in a dome.  It doesn't fit the profile of a real football team.  That bias has always been compared to gritty cold weather outdoor football teams.

Its more than location.  Its a point-of-view bias, that a football team from a place like Indy has no business beating the Pats....or the Steelers or the Ravens for that matter.  Having an "untough" team like the Colts beat a "tough" team that has "tough" fans would just rock a lot of people's view of football. 

That's one of my knocks against Grigson. He's had so much capital to play with and it's been mixed results. For every good, there's a bad. Like you already alluded too.

But I think blowing consecutive first round picks is a bigger knock than people like to admit. Yes there are 7 rounds, but generally speaking the best players come in the first 3 rounds. And 1st round picks are a luxury.

What's more important than low 1st round picks is having a franchise QB.  If Luck gets beat up or fails to progress as a QB, then the one held responsible for that will be fired.  I think there is a good chance the coaching staff is replaced after this year, especially if the game plans for the rest of the season look like the second half of the Patriots game.

I think Grigs is building the team in the right way.  The Pats have three rookie interior OLineman and none of them was drafted in the 1st round.