Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If Manning Is Done In Indy?

jskinnz

Interested to know what people's thoughts will be towards the Colts if they decide the right thing for the franchise is move ahead with Luck and that 18 is cut. The premise for this thread assumes that Manning is fully healthy and able to play in 2012.

What will you think of the Colts? Irsay? The new GM? And Luck himself if this is the case?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It tells me that they have decided to do a tear down rebuild rather than tinker around the edges and hope Manning can continue painting over the dry rot and crumbling foundation with one hand while trying to prop up the structure with the other.

It is probably overdue and I would be happy that they had the guts to pull the trigger and live with the consequences.

As for Luck he will be placed in a unfair amount of pressure to follow a legend but that is why the job pays so much.

I'd miss Manning, but I was a fan of the Colts before he came and will be a fan after he's gone.

Of course, I'm also a St Louis Cardianls fan so I'm used to watching one of the greatest of all time leave the team recently.

I want Colts management to do what is best for the long term future of the Colts.

Surpised at the sentiment so far - figured there would be some anger directed at management. Hard to believe the Manning era in Indy may be over and I don't envy those making that decision, but if that is what they think is best for the team, then I support them fully.

I'll always follow Peyton, but I'll always be a Colts fan first. I'll continue pull for Peyton, unless he plays for the Steelers, Patriots, Saints, Cowboys, or one of the division rivals. I just can't bring myself to root for one of those teams.

I've said repeatedly if he's not in a colts uniform the least distateful scenario is San Fransisco. The fact that I have a man crush on Jim Harbaugh probably has something to do with it.

Interested to know what people's thoughts will be towards the Colts if they decide the right thing for the franchise is move ahead with Luck and that 18 is cut. The premise for this thread assumes that Manning is fully healthy and able to play in 2012.

What will you think of the Colts? Irsay? The new GM? And Luck himself if this is the case?

It's not the ending we all wanted but the NFL being what it is.....a business of violent sport....doesn't always give fans and deserving great players like Peyton a fairy tale ending. Jim Irsay has become a fine NFL owner and looking back he fully adopted Indianapolis and committed to having a great football team....what more could a fan ask?

2012 marks the 50th year I'm a fan and I know there are Colts fans older and some who became fans last month that are just as fervent.....and whoever the new GM / Coach / QB / last guy on the practice squad is.....we all gotta support them even if we don't always agree on everything.

Whether its Andrew Luck who I like alot....or 5 or 6 guys we trade the pick for.....I support the team from top to bottom.

I must admit I was a Manning fan first...if he leaves I, of course, would follow him....but I would still cheer for the Colts as well. I had a horrible football season this year, my two favourite teams are the Colts and the Vikings! *sigh* I am originally from Minnesota, so that is my excuse for liking/hating the Vikings! ;)

shocked...at these comments. this is a bussinesss, but............irsay owes manning, and he owes manning big time. if peyton manning is not an indianapolis colts next year, the person that needs to go is jim irsay.there are no records, no super bowl win, no lucas oil stadium and no super in indy without #18. this isn't even an option, if that happens irsay, will look like a ...........!!! (really bad)

I will be critical of every mistake Andrew Luck makes,and if his stats didn't surpass Peytons',then he's an outright failure in my eyes.I expect many will say 'THAT'S UNFAIR',but so is life.If we replace the G.O.A.T with this guy,then he better have the goods to deliver...with no excuses.He must be successful from day one...rookie or not.He'll receive no 'get out of jail free card',just because of this.He's different and so is this situation.The only reason the 'COLTS' would ever do such a thing,is if we feel he can become the next G.O.A.T.

I will be critical of every mistake Andrew Luck makes,and if his stats didn't surpass Peytons',then he's an outright failure in my eyes.I expect many will say 'THAT'S UNFAIR',but so is life.If we replace the G.O.A.T with this guy,then he better have the goods to deliver...with no excuses.He must be successful from day one...rookie or not.He'll receive no 'get out of jail free card',just because of this.He's different and so is this situation.The only reason the 'COLTS' would ever do such a thing,is if we feel he can become the next G.O.A.T.

age, injury, and declining skill set have nothing to do with any of that?

Luck I'd imagine would be thrilled to have the early support Peyton had. And your already throwing him under the bus, hoping he doesn't pan out? Brutal.

I am a huge Manning supporter and between wife and kids,prob about 700 in jerseys in closets. With that being said I do believe if I ran the Colts I would go with Luck, you almost have to. We all have to keep in mind that Peyton has only a few years left at best, sad but true. I do believe that if Peyton is healthy he will play, but elsewhere and Jim will do what ever it takes to get him where he wants to be. I feel that Luck is the real deal and 10 years from now we as fans will be glad they made this gut busting move. If Manning is here and plays it out, I hope they do everything they can to give him the tools to make a serious run at the superbowl.Most of the things this city has that are football related is owed to Manning, and as a fan base we can only the best for him.

Colts fan first and always. I'm surprised at the positive responses here, but of course there will be the negatives.

This is a business. Every business comes down to $$$$$. Its really hard to pay a guy $28 million when you have no idea if he will ever play again, and even if he does how well he'll play. If you take that chance and fail, this team is ruined financial for the next few years. Some say we owe it to Peyton... What? The money? Hes rich! Our respect? Hes got it. He'll go down as one of the best QBs of all time, and I'm sure one day he'll have his number and name hanging in the Ring of Honor. Heck, we could even rename it to the Peyton Manning Ring of Honor! But does that mean we should make dumb business decisions? NO. Some of the greats ended their careers with other teams (Montana to make room for Young & Favre to make room for Rodgers come to mind) because that was what was best for their team.

Also, for the person that wants to jump on Luck for every mistake, if thats the direction we go, calm down. Once upon a time, we drafted a QB from Tennessee named Peyton Manning. In his first year we went 3-13 again! He also led the league in interceptions with 28 (compare that to his 26 TDs). That turned out pretty well right? Rookie QBs will make mistakes no matter who it is. Its part of the learning process! You have to understand that its about the long term prospect of this team being competitive (and a playoff contender) for the next 10+ years, not necessarily about winning it all next year. Luck gives you a future, and at best (without injury) Peyton maybe has 3-4 years left.

You might not have the chance to draft a guy with this kind of talent again any time soon. You have to do it. Peyton Manning is the casualty of that decision.

No matter what happens, Colts fans will always be thankful to Peyton for what he brought to this team (the wins, the class, a superbowl championship, & Lucas Oil Stadium). Its not personal, otherwise he'd be a COLT for life.

Personally, I hope he decides to hang it up, and goes into coaching (maybe new QB coach). He'd be a fantastic mentor to a young QB like Luck. Although I doubt that will happen.

I am a huge Manning supporter and between wife and kids,prob about 700 in jerseys in closets. With that being said I do believe if I ran the Colts a I would go Luck, you almost have to. We all have to keep in mind that Peyton has only a few years left at best, sad but true. I do believe that if Peyton is healthy he will play, but elsewhere and Jim will do what ever it takes to get him where he wants to be. i feel that Luck is the real deal and 10 years from now we as fans will be glad they made this gut busting move. If Manning is here and plays it out, I hope they do everything they can to give him the tools to make a serious run at the superbowl.Most of the things this city has that are football related is owed to Manning, and as a fan base we can only the best for him.

Honestly - I'm a Manning fan and he's the reason I root for the Colts. I would follow Manning wherever he went and root against the Colts doing well. Even if that's not a rational response, that's what I would root for.

Well if you are a Manning fan and not a Colts fan then that is a no brainer for you, but the majority of us are Colts fans and I mean Mike Pagel colt fans, so this is harder on us.

Colts fan first and always. I'm surprised at the positive responses here, but of course there will be the negatives.

This is a business. Every business comes down to $$$$$. Its really hard to pay a guy $28 million when you have no idea if he will ever play again, and even if he does how well he'll play. If you take that chance and fail, this team is ruined financial for the next few years. Some say we owe it to Peyton... What? The money? Hes rich! Our respect? Hes got it. He'll go down as one of the best QBs of all time, and I'm sure one day he'll have his number and name hanging in the Ring of Honor. Heck, we could even rename it to the Peyton Manning Ring of Honor! But does that mean we should make dumb business decisions? NO. Some of the greats ended their careers with other teams (Montana to make room for Young & Favre to make room for Rodgers come to mind) because that was what was best for their team.

Also, for the person that wants to jump on Luck for every mistake, if thats the direction we go, calm down. Once upon a time, we drafted a QB from Tennessee named Peyton Manning. In his first year we went 3-13 again! He also led the league in interceptions with 28 (compare that to his 26 TDs). That turned out pretty well right? Rookie QBs will make mistakes no matter who it is. Its part of the learning process! You have to understand that its about the long term prospect of this team being competitive (and a playoff contender) for the next 10+ years, not necessarily about winning it all next year. Luck gives you a future, and at best (without injury) Peyton maybe has 3-4 years left.

You might not have the chance to draft a guy with this kind of talent again any time soon. You have to do it. Peyton Manning is the casualty of that decision.

No matter what happens, Colts fans will always be thankful to Peyton for what he brought to this team (the wins, the class, a superbowl championship, & Lucas Oil Stadium). Its not personal, otherwise he'd be a COLT for life.

Personally, I hope he decides to hang it up, and goes into coaching (maybe new QB coach). He'd be a fantastic mentor to a young QB like Luck. Although I doubt that will happen.

Well said x 10!

Luck I'd imagine would be thrilled to have the early support Peyton had. And your already throwing him under the bus, hoping he doesn't pan out? Brutal.

I'm not throwing him under the bus at all.If he's the real messiah,then it should come easy to him,dontcha' think?I mean he's ANDREW LUCK,...THE ONE AND ONLY.He's the guy that's gonna' replace the G.O.A.T.

Of course,peyton had all of our early support,because he was replacing jim harbaugh(AKA:Capt crunch or something),whom was a career back-up.So this situation is much different.

This reminds me of Rodgers right after Favre... I will admit I loved Favre, I hated the way he left, and wish he would have just ended one year earlier, but I was a GB fan as well as a Colts fan. When GB ran Favre out of town, there was LOTS of pressure on Rodgers. Rodgers was lucky enough to be able to sit for a few years to get use to that enviorment, and was lucky enough to have an AMAZING team to walk into, and he handled that pressure very well. I think the Luck pick is a waste, but I will say "IF we pick luck... If we get rid of Manning even though he can play, and we trust everything with a kid we have NO idea what he can do I would almost feel sorry for him, he doesn't have the experience of NFL pressure, the HEADS will be all over him for every mistake, and if Manning plays amazing for whoever he goes to will only make it worse.... Look at this team... IF we pick Luck, lose manning, lose Wayne, and others.... I'm sorry I see Colts being under .500 for next 3, 4 years taking Luck.

I'm not throwing him under the bus at all.If he's the real messiah,then it should come easy to him,dontcha' think?I mean he's ANDREW LUCK,...THE ONE AND ONLY.He's the guy that's gonna' replace the G.O.A.T.

Of course,peyton had all of our early support,because he was replacing jim harbaugh(AKA:Capt crunch or something),whom was a career back-up.So this situation is much different.

Are you serious with these two posts?! The messiah? Cpt. Crunch?

Bro, you need to go lay down for a bit.

While you guys are thanking #18 for things he's brought to Indianapolis, don't forget to thank him for something he's KEPT in Indianapolis- the team.

Without Peyton, we're all rooting against the Los Angeles Colts every week.

Remember how wrong it looked to see Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform? Picture Peyton donning that orange helmet in Cleveland.

The question is his health. Honestly, if he's not able to play like he has in the past, I think he'll do all of the deciding for us and hang 'em up. If not- trade that #1 pick and fix the team around him. This year's draft is VERY QB rich- get one of the less ballyhooed guys to be the heir apparent, and sit and watch for a few years.

If they let Peyton go, he'll taste the playoffs long before the Colts ever will again. And he'll paste us like the Saints did this year if we ever have to play him.

If Peyton becomes a QB coach I hope he goes to the Giants to do it :)

Under no circumstance would this work. But the humor of that playing out would be pay-per-view tv worthy!

"That last throw was crap, you gotta look up the field and make better decisions." - Peyton

"DAD! Peyton is being mean to me." - Eli

"Boys... play nice" - Archie

Are u kidding me????? Be great from day one???? Colts were 3-13 PM first year and he threw for like 26 TD and 29 INT

PM won 1 super bowl do if luck wins two does that mean he is without a doubt better then manning was? No

Why would you pretty much root for our future qbs failure. Salty much?

While you guys are thanking #18 for things he's brought to Indianapolis, don't forget to thank him for something he's KEPT in Indianapolis- the team.

Without Peyton, we're all rooting against the Los Angeles Colts every week.

Remember how wrong it looked to see Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform? Picture Peyton donning that orange helmet in Cleveland.

The question is his health. Honestly, if he's not able to play like he has in the past, I think he'll do all of the deciding for us and hang 'em up. If not- trade that #1 pick and fix the team around him. This year's draft is VERY QB rich- get one of the less ballyhooed guys to be the heir apparent, and sit and watch for a few years.

If they let Peyton go, he'll taste the playoffs long before the Colts ever will again. And he'll paste us like the Saints did this year if we ever have to play him.

No way knowing if PM would taste playoffs before us. He's not in the middle of his career he's towards the end. He may never be the PM we once knew.

Nice Topic by the way J

It would be very difficult to see Peyton play with another franchise if healthy. He's meant so much to this city and has brought life back to a lifeless Franchise in the late 90's. That being said, I would be angered because 3 good years of Peyton Manning at a high level means 3 more years of SuperBowl contetion. Andrew Luck as our starter means its not a guranteed we make the playoffs. All this assuming Manning is healthy of course. I would also be angry if he goes to a team that has an actual defense. Imagine Manning with a top 10 defense. Very scary :rock:

Are u kidding me????? Be great from day one???? Colts were 3-13 PM first year and he threw for like 26 TD and 29 INT

PM won 1 super bowl do if luck wins two does that mean he is without a doubt better then manning was? No

Why would you pretty much root for our future qbs failure. Salty much?

I'm not rooting for his failure...not at all.I'm simply stating the truth.This is no normal situation.If we go in that direction,then he better bring home the bacon and bring it home on time.

I'm not rooting for his failure...not at all.I'm simply stating the truth.This is no normal situation.If we go in that direction,then he better bring home the bacon and bring it home on time.

So your sayinh he has 8 years to get us a super bowl? Is that on "time"

Nice Topic by the way J

It would be very difficult to see Peyton play with another franchise if healthy. He's meant so much to this city and has brought life back to a lifeless Franchise in the late 90's. That being said, I would be angered because 3 good years of Peyton Manning at a high level means 3 more years of SuperBowl contetion. Andrew Luck as our starter means its not a guranteed we make the playoffs. All this assuming Manning is healthy of course. I would also be angry if he goes to a team that has an actual defense. Imagine Manning with a top 10 defense. Very scary :rock:

Thank you!Exactly!There's no reason to believe this kid(luck)can even reach the playoffs...once!How many post season appearances did philip rivers,carson palmer,tony romo or dan fouts ever have?!