Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If Manning Is Done In Indy?

jskinnz

Honestly now, I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but if I absolutely had to pick between 3 or 4 more years of Peyton or 15 years of Andrew Luck, I think I'd roll with Luck.

I love Peyton as much as anybody, but IMO you cannot pass up one of the greatest qb prospects of all time for 3-4 years of Manning. Ideally we get both though.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be critical of every mistake Andrew Luck makes,and if his stats didn't surpass Peytons',then he's an outright failure in my eyes.I expect many will say 'THAT'S UNFAIR',but so is life.If we replace the G.O.A.T with this guy,then he better have the goods to deliver...with no excuses.He must be successful from day one...rookie or not.He'll receive no 'get out of jail free card',just because of this.He's different and so is this situation.The only reason the 'COLTS' would ever do such a thing,is if we feel he can become the next G.O.A.T.

This is the type of response I had figured on. Thanks for not disappointing.

Thank you!Exactly!There's no reason to believe this kid(luck)can even reach the playoffs...once!How many post season appearances did philip rivers,carson palmer,tony romo or dan fouts ever have?!

Luck is luck not romo Palmer rivers or fouts.

We must be superbowl contenders his rookie year and every year thereafter.Peyton was a known commodity that made us contenders every year,so if we replace him with this guy,then he must do the same.No excuses.

Lol wow. Your salty bro

We must be superbowl contenders his rookie year and every year thereafter.Peyton was a known commodity that made us contenders every year,so if we replace him with this guy,then he must do the same.No excuses.

What if Peyton went 8-8 next year?

I'm not throwing him under the bus at all.If he's the real messiah,then it should come easy to him,dontcha' think?I mean he's ANDREW LUCK,...THE ONE AND ONLY.He's the guy that's gonna' replace the G.O.A.T.

I hope you're being sarcastic.....but Im afraid your actually serious.

Let's be honest,if peyton plays next year(with us or not),he'll go 12-4,just like always.The dude's as good as gold.

Hope your joking. He could very easily but he could also not be the Same manning we know. But if he does I'm sure we would lose in first round of playoffs

Let's be honest,if peyton plays next year(with us or not),he'll go 12-4,just like always.The dude's as good as gold.

Really? At what point would you think he would start to decline? 50? At what point do you prepare yourself for that decline? During injury/old age perhaps? When you have a good pick? When a good QB is avail?

I think that what will happen is that management will do both. Keep Manning and draft Luck. That way you have Luck learning from the best and if Peyton can't perform next year, you have Luck there to step in. Once Peyton can't play anymore, as well loved as he is in Indy, they should keep him as a coach.

Colts fan first. Should Peyton go some place else though, I would definitely follow what's left of his career.

Really? At what point would you think he would start to decline? 50? At what point do you prepare yourself for that decline? During injury/old age perhaps? When you have a good pick? When a good QB is avail?

At 49...maybe(j/k),but seriously peyton is different...we all know that.I seriously doubt his production does decline much,if at all.The only reason it might is if we gear towards becoming more of a running team,which might be a good thing.If we trade the 'luck' pick,then i'm guessing its because peyton gave some kind of assurance to jim(irsay)that he has plans on playing 5-6 more years.

I'm a Manning fan, not a Colts fan. If Peyton leaves which I hope he does and goes to a team with real talent, I will not care anything at all for the Colts. I will be amazed at their letting the GOAT go and not taking advantage of having the first pick in a year when a "once in a decade, Can't miss" QB is available for a tradedown for a plethora of early-round picks. I am certain that a Manning/Luck coexistence would not last more than one year.

At 49...maybe(j/k),but seriously peyton is different...we all know that.I seriously doubt his production does decline much,if at all.The only reason it might is if we gear towards becoming more of a running team,which might be a good thing.If we trade the 'luck' pick,then i'm guessing its because peyton gave some kind of assurance to jim(irsay)that he has plans on playing 5-6 more years.

Peyton is not different. He is a man of flesh and blood. Bones and muscle. He can be broken.

No one can give that assurance of 5-6 yrs, and short of being 21yrs old, no one should even think beyond 2 years in the NFL. Just because a 26yr old Peyton Manning stayed healthy doesn't mean a 36yr old coming off-surgery Manning stays healthy.

Peyton is not different. He is a man of flesh and blood. Bones and muscle. He can be broken.

No one can give that assurance of 5-6 yrs, and short of being 21yrs old, no one should even think beyond 2 years in the NFL. Just because a 26yr old Peyton Manning stayed healthy doesn't mean a 36yr old coming off-surgery Manning stays healthy.

That's very true.But i would be willing to risk it.We've seen peyton's resume and we know what he can do.

Interested to know what people's thoughts will be towards the Colts if they decide the right thing for the franchise is move ahead with Luck and that 18 is cut. The premise for this thread assumes that Manning is fully healthy and able to play in 2012.

What will you think of the Colts? Irsay? The new GM? And Luck himself if this is the case?

Hmm i recall BP saying you cant allow a rookie QB to start and sack your veteran QB.. (or something in that manner). Then he gets fired and jim irsay says he's worried about peytons health... of course all that didnt happen in that order, well close to it but i think all of us fans have underestimated Irsay... i think most of us think he's "totally in love with peyton"..

Looking back when the season was about to start irsay mentioned in one of his tweets about how his pockets were hurting cause of paying an injured QB, now he's worried about peytons health... my point is i wouldnt be surprised at all if peyton was let go to be honest.

Not to mention hes coming off a surgery where there is an increased chance he'll need more surgery in the future. A fusion ends up with the fused vertebra taking the load of the previous 2, this causes forces to be greater to the above and below vertebra and can weaken them to a state where surgery will be required again. "Normally" this can be years down the road, but playing NFL football is anything but "normal" when it comes to the body.

And I hate to bring this up because I hate this argument because any player can get hurt at any time from one bad hit, but peyton now is one slightly less bad hit away from what could be a far more serious spinal cord issue.

Lastly, nerve regrowth and arm strength aren't things hes guaranteed to get back either! 100% healthy Peyton, maybe you pass on Luck, but we won't know how healthy Peyton is until the first time hes under center throwing the ball in an NFL game and taking a hit from Tamba Hali, Jason Pierre-Paul, or Jared Allen. Can we really afford to wait that long? We waited this year... and look what happened. If hes done and we don't know til then, not only could be be awful next year, but we'll have missed out on the opportunity to get a QB with all the skills to be the future of the franchise.

I sat through 3-13 2 years in a row last time. And I'm fine doing it again if it means we're rebuilding for our future.

Hmm i recall BP saying you cant allow a rookie QB to start and sack your veteran QB.. (or something in that manner). Then he gets fired and jim irsay says he's worried about peytons health... of course all that didnt happen in that order, well close to it but i think all of us fans have underestimated Irsay... i think most of us think he's "totally in love with peyton"..

Looking back when the season was about to start irsay mentioned in one of his tweets about how his pockets were hurting cause of paying an injured QB, now he's worried about peytons health... my point is i wouldnt be surprised at all if peyton was let go to be honest.

Good point

Not to mention hes coming off a surgery where there is an increased chance he'll need more surgery in the future. A fusion ends up with the fused vertebra taking the load of the previous 2, this causes forces to be greater to the above and below vertebra and can weaken them to a state where surgery will be required again. "Normally" this can be years down the road, but playing NFL football is anything but "normal" when it comes to the body.

And I hate to bring this up because I hate this argument because any player can get hurt at any time from one bad hit, but peyton now is one slightly less bad hit away from what could be a far more serious spinal cord issue.

Lastly, nerve regrowth and arm strength aren't things hes guaranteed to get back either! 100% healthy Peyton, maybe you pass on Luck, but we won't know how healthy Peyton is until the first time hes under center throwing the ball in an NFL game and taking a hit from Tamba Hali, Jason Pierre-Paul, or Jared Allen. Can we really afford to wait that long? We waited this year... and look what happened. If hes done and we don't know til then, not only could be be awful next year, but we'll have missed out on the opportunity to get a QB with all the skills to be the future of the franchise.

I sat through 3-13 2 years in a row last time. And I'm fine doing it again if it means we're rebuilding for our future.

Thanks for the info u answered questions I had about his surgery.

IF Colts run Indy out of town, I just hope he gets to go a team that he can play the Colts and smash them like Favre got to do with GB his first year as a Viking... I would almost hope for him to go to Tennessee, or Houston.

Good Heavens! Just imagine if the Texans had Manning throwing to Johnson behind that line with those two backs and that defense. That almost seems unfair!

You are right, those guys have NFL experience... Luck has nothing but HYPE

What overall #1 pick doesn't have hype though? Just because someone is touted as arguably the best prospect of all time doesn't mean he is more likely to fail in the NFL.

If you watched the Stanford/Oklahoma St. game, you know where the hype is coming from. He is darn good.

You are right, those guys have NFL experience... Luck has nothing but HYPE

heck...luck isn't even near dan fouts.He'll be lucky if he becomes dan fouts.I've seem luck play ALOT,and i keep seeing another big ben.The similarities between the two are scary.However,big ben was lucky(no pun intended)to get drafted by the steelers,a defense first team.This lead to big ben's success.I doubt ANDREW will get so LUCKY(Once again,no pun intended).He'll just be a solid type of player.

shocked...at these comments. this is a bussinesss, but............irsay owes manning, and he owes manning big time. if peyton manning is not an indianapolis colts next year, the person that needs to go is jim irsay.there are no records, no super bowl win, no lucas oil stadium and no super in indy without #18. this isn't even an option, if that happens irsay, will look like a ...........!!! (really bad)

But what if Manning Chooses to leave? I tend to agree with you that what he thinks is important.

But, bottom line.........is financial and long term don't you think?

heck...luck isn't even near dan fouts.He'll be lucky if he becomes dan fouts.I've seem luck play ALOT,and i keep seeing another big ben.The similarities between the two are scary.However,big ben was lucky(no pun intended)to get drafted by the steelers,a defense first team.This lead to big ben's success.I doubt ANDREW will get so LUCKY(Once again,no pun intended).He'll just be a solid type of player.

Coming from the guy who says to keep Caldwell and cut freeney and Mathis.

I've heard that the Jets have reported interest in trading for peyton one the offseason would begin. But they can't say it outright because something about tampering with other teams players. I hope we keep peyton, but i just keep thinking of what kind of deal we could get for peyton if its anything less then 2-3 1st round picks no way i would even think about it.

Coming from the guy who says to keep Caldwell and cut freeney and Mathis.

The only reason i suggested keeping caldwell is because i think peyton isn't too keen on a complete overhaul.He values a certain comfort level to run his offense...peyton like,and jim gives him freedom to do so.I personally don't like caldwell myself.But 'yes',i would trade freeney,if he didn't take a paycut.I would keep mathis,but only if it was reasonable and cap friendly.

I've heard that the Jets have reported interest in trading for peyton one the offseason would begin. But they can't say it outright because something about tampering with other teams players. I hope we keep peyton, but i just keep thinking of what kind of deal we could get for peyton if its anything less then 2-3 1st round picks no way i would even think about it.

You can't trade for Peyton because the $28 million is due prior to trading starting. If that date doesn't move, you release him as a free agent or your keep him.

Manning cant be traded until the new leage year, 3/13, bonus due 3/8, if they release him before this its still a $16M cap hit in 2012, Luck will be around a $5M cap hit. I see Manning restructing the bonus to spread over more years on the non-guaranteed salary side with multiple incentives. No way Irsay just paid $26M to a player that never played a down under the contract.

Irsay is a wierd one, hes like a coin you dont know what side your going to get. One minute hes complaining about paying and injured qb, the next he says if hes healthy he stays, i dont know waht to believe honestly.

I'm a Colts fan.... but if Manning goes to another team, I'll probably start following that team more closely (but rooting for the Colts too when they play). Have to be honest, I'm more of a Manning fan than anything. I'm hoping he'll stay, because really, Lucas Oil Stadium is the house that Peyton built. He's done so much for the community and for that team... it's unfathomable to me that he pay play in another jersey.

There will be no trade for Manning. His contract, cap hit, and due date for his bonus prevent it. He will be kept or he will be released. Those are the options.

Colts fan first and always. I'm surprised at the positive responses here, but of course there will be the negatives.

This is a business. Every business comes down to $$$$$. Its really hard to pay a guy $28 million when you have no idea if he will ever play again, and even if he does how well he'll play. If you take that chance and fail, this team is ruined financial for the next few years. Some say we owe it to Peyton... What? The money? Hes rich! Our respect? Hes got it. He'll go down as one of the best QBs of all time, and I'm sure one day he'll have his number and name hanging in the Ring of Honor. Heck, we could even rename it to the Peyton Manning Ring of Honor! But does that mean we should make dumb business decisions? NO. Some of the greats ended their careers with other teams (Montana to make room for Young & Favre to make room for Rodgers come to mind) because that was what was best for their team.

Also, for the person that wants to jump on Luck for every mistake, if thats the direction we go, calm down. Once upon a time, we drafted a QB from Tennessee named Peyton Manning. In his first year we went 3-13 again! He also led the league in interceptions with 28 (compare that to his 26 TDs). That turned out pretty well right? Rookie QBs will make mistakes no matter who it is. Its part of the learning process! You have to understand that its about the long term prospect of this team being competitive (and a playoff contender) for the next 10+ years, not necessarily about winning it all next year. Luck gives you a future, and at best (without injury) Peyton maybe has 3-4 years left.

You might not have the chance to draft a guy with this kind of talent again any time soon. You have to do it. Peyton Manning is the casualty of that decision.

No matter what happens, Colts fans will always be thankful to Peyton for what he brought to this team (the wins, the class, a superbowl championship, & Lucas Oil Stadium). Its not personal, otherwise he'd be a COLT for life.

Personally, I hope he decides to hang it up, and goes into coaching (maybe new QB coach). He'd be a fantastic mentor to a young QB like Luck. Although I doubt that will happen.

All of this especially the end. If Manning was no longer the Colts QB I wish he'd become a OC assistant(or the OC) or QB coach.

Are they interested in acquiring him or trading for him? I don't see anyone taking his contract.