Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malcom Brown vs us

csmopar

I recall during the draft in May, I was one of those clamouring, drooling and extremely ticked off that we didn't take Brown when he fell to us.  At the time, I was like many thinking man, we screw up.  So, Idecided to do a little side by side thus far to our Henry Anderson and David Parry and Langford, yes it's only 3 games and yes the positions are somewhat different and yes, stats don't tell the whole picture. 

Malcom Brown, DT:

3 games played, 1 started, 3 tackles, 1 sack.  Not bad for only 3 games thus far.

David Parry, NT

3 Games 3 Started, 6 combined tackles, 4 solo, 2 assisted, 1 sack

Henry Anderson, DE

3 Games Played, 3 Started, 15 combined tackles, 12 solo, 3 assist, 1 sack

Kendal Langford, DE

3 Games Played, 3 Started, 9 tackles, 5 solo, 4 assist, 0 sacks.

Like I said, just for comparison's sake.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall during the draft in May, I was one of those clamouring, drooling and extremely ticked off that we didn't take Brown when he fell to us.  At the time, I was like many thinking man, we screw up.  So, Idecided to do a little side by side thus far to our Henry Anderson and David Parry and Langford, yes it's only 3 games and yes the positions are somewhat different and yes, stats don't tell the whole picture. 

Malcom Brown, DT:

3 games played, 1 started, 3 tackles, 1 sack.  Not bad for only 3 games thus far.

David Parry, NT

Henry Anderson, DE

3 Games Played, 3 Started, 15 combined sacks, 12 solo, 3 assist, 1 sack

Kendal Langford, DE

I really, really don't think you meant that....

That's a HUGE typo.

That should be fixed.

Brown has been solid for the Pats and he is being asked to also play across the line, multiple positions. You guys will have to let me know if Anderson is being asked to do that as I don't know. But it is very early and typically it can take defenders in the Patriots system a solid year or even two to get up to speed on the scheme and responsibilities and start to flourish, i.e. Hightower, Collins.

Brown has been solid for the Pats and he is being asked to also play across the line, multiple positions. You guys will have to let me know if Anderson is being asked to do that as I don't know. But it is very early and typically it can take defenders in the Patriots system a solid year or even two to get up to speed on the scheme and responsibilities and start to flourish, i.e. Hightower, Collins.

Anderson does move around from one side to the other, haven't noticed whether Parry is asked to do the same. Even though it's early in the season, and considering where this d-line was a year ago... the stat below is a vast improvement.

Through 3 games, opponents have 22 carries for 46 yards (2.09 YPC) when running up the middle (left/right of Center) vs the Colts Defense.

— My Colts Account (@MyColtsAccount)

September 28, 2015

Malcom Brown, DT:

David Parry, NT

Henry Anderson, DE

3 Games Played, 3 Started, 15 combined sacks, 12 solo, 3 assist, 1 sack

Kendal Langford, DE

First it isn't a comparison as Anderson and Brown really don't play much of the same role.

Second knowing now that the org would change defensive line philosophy the Brown pick wouldn't have been a good one no matter.

Third the issue was never (or at least for me) grabbing Dorsett over Brown.  The issue was taking a receiver when there was a ton of other options.  We need a future ILB Anthony was there, we need a future Corner, Darby was there, we need a future Lineman, Smith was there... Again this was the issue not Dorsett.  The good thing is Dorsett can play but for a GM who is supposedly saying he is always about the future it sure seems odd that we draft a first round receiver (where we had plenty of talent plus the TE's) instead of taking a player where we are going to have questions marks in the future (like ILB, Corner, Guard, Tackle).  

Even with retrospect right now Dorsett really isn't something that we needed.  I'm fine with Moncrief/Hilton/Johnson as long as Johnson sees the field less than Fleener/Doyle.  Especially give our Line and play calling situation. 

Andersons been playing multiple positions since he came out of college. Still does

Anderson is playing three positions, mostly 3 tech, but also some 5 tech and even a handful of snaps at 1 tech. 

Brown was my pick and I was quite puzzled and upset when we passed on him for another WR. This is something I came into this year thinking about, that I would compare his rookie production to the other D-lineman we picked. 

Three games though........ too early to extrapolate anything yet. 

First it isn't a comparison as Anderson and Brown really don't play much of the same role.

Second knowing now that the org would change defensive line philosophy the Brown pick wouldn't have been a good one no matter.

Third the issue was never (or at least for me) grabbing Dorsett over Brown.  The issue was taking a receiver when there was a ton of other options.  We need a future ILB Anthony was there, we need a future Corner, Darby was there, we need a future Lineman, Smith was there... Again this was the issue not Dorsett.  The good thing is Dorsett can play but for a GM who is supposedly saying he is always about the future it sure seems odd that we draft a first round receiver (where we had plenty of talent plus the TE's) instead of taking a player where we are going to have questions marks in the future (like ILB, Corner, Guard, Tackle).  

Even with retrospect right now Dorsett really isn't something that we needed.  I'm fine with Moncrief/Hilton/Johnson as long as Johnson sees the field less than Fleener/Doyle.  Especially give our Line and play calling situation. 

What position do you think Brown plays?

Stephone Anthony was overdrafted at #31. I liked him, but thought he was a 50-ish range player. And so far, he's been bad for the Saints. He might wind up being a really good player, but I don't think he was worthy of a first rounder. 

Darby was the 50th pick. So we should have reached 20 spots? It's hard enough finding good players at the end of the first round, why reach down halfway into the second round?

Donovan Smith, I assume is who you're talking about. He's been bad. I thought he was overrated to begin with, and then he went a round earlier than I thought he should have.

These are all just my opinions, but just going off of the players you're naming, they wouldn't have been good picks, IMO. I'd have rather traded down, but if I had to make a pick at #29, I'd rather have Dorsett. 

Brown was my pick and I was quite puzzled and upset when we passed on him for another WR. This is something I came into this year thinking about, that I would compare his rookie production to the other D-lineman we picked. 

Very True, I'm just going to keep monitoring it through the seasons end and see where we end up, course none of this matters if we can't beat the Patriots in October.....

I didn't like Brown to begin with, and I'm glad we didn't take him. That's before we drafted Anderson, who was one of my favorite players.

Even through their rookie years, unless one of them is absolutely incredible, it doesn't really make sense to compare. Especially DL, young players take time. Anderson might be better now, but that doesn't mean he'll have the better career, or even be better over the next three years. So yeah, three games is too soon.

But still, Anderson > Brown. :)

I didn't like Brown to begin with, and I'm glad we didn't take him. That's before we drafted Anderson, who was one of my favorite players.

Even through their rookie years, unless one of them is absolutely incredible, it doesn't really make sense to compare. Especially DL, young players take time. Anderson might be better now, but that doesn't mean he'll have the better career, or even be better over the next three years. So yeah, three games is too soon.

But still, Anderson > Brown. :)

Have we had the we only drafted him because he's from Stanford line trotted out yet? 

Wait a minute... 2 Stanford Grads drafted.... Luck's play drops off...

Luck has been up all night with Fleener/Parry/Anderson/Castonzo playing Settlers of Catan, no wonder we've been looking awful on O.

337333777_640.jpg

Anderson and Parry both have been solid. Grigson should get a thumbs up for those picks. Grigson actually has drafted decently but he hasn't done much building the Offensive Line. We see Andrew taking a beating and I think that is where the Grigson criticism comes in and well deserved because that is our franchise player. Grigson also traded a 2nd round pick to get Vontae which IMO should offset the Trent disaster.

I'm  a huge Grigson critic. But man. Somebody knew what they were doing getting Anderson and Parry. I was so mad when we took a WR in the 1st. I wanted Goldman, Collins, Brown, etc. But I was wrong LOL. We hit the Jackpot in this draft. Anderson, Parry, Geathers, Dorsett, and hopefully Smith will be really good starters or better. I wanted PJ Williams instead of Smith btw. Both are hurt so we don't know on that one yet.

Stephone Anthony was overdrafted at #31. I liked him, but thought he was a 50-ish range player. And so far, he's been bad for the Saints. He might wind up being a really good player, but I don't think he was worthy of a first rounder.

Darby was the 50th pick. So we should have reached 20 spots? It's hard enough finding good players at the end of the first round, why reach down halfway into the second round?

Donovan Smith, I assume is who you're talking about. He's been bad. I thought he was overrated to begin with, and then he went a round earlier than I thought he should have.

These are all just my opinions, but just going off of the players you're naming, they wouldn't have been good picks, IMO. I'd have rather traded down, but if I had to make a pick at #30, I'd rather have Dorsett.

Grady Jarrett

Anderson and Parry both have been solid. Grigson should get a thumbs up for those picks. Grigson actually has drafted decently but he hasn't done much building the Offensive Line. We see Andrew taking a beating and I think that is where the Grigson criticism comes in and well deserved because that is our franchise player. Grigson also traded a 2nd round pick to get Vontae which IMO should offset the Trent disaster.

I was angry at the time of Dorsett pick because I wanted Brown or Collins but Dorsett, Anderson, and Parry picks have worked out pretty well so far and all look to have excellent potential.

However, good and bad picks don't offset each other. I've said plenty of times I can't kill him for Trent because of our RB situation at the time, w Ballard going down and the good season Trent had carrying the offense in Cleveland on his own. Picking in the late 20's annually does not yield the same high quality picks that the bottom feeder teams get. The talent difference is exponentially less the more you get away from the top 3. My best example is the Jets wasting Vernon Gholston with a top 5 which is way worse than the Trent trade. Us taking Werner in the 20's doesn't anger me as much as it does others but that's just me. He has done a great job stealing Vontae and hopefully now with Sio.

Despite what everyone outside this fanbase (and including some in this fanbase) thinks he has tried to work on the O line, with Cherilus and Donald Thomas getting injured and several others not panning out like Herremans (so far). I'm glad he didn't overpay for someone like Alex Mack or Evan Mathis. However, I am frustrated he wasn't as aggressive for an OL like Incognito who has learned his lesson and would have checked his ego at the door here as a new guy on an established team, or at least use a meaningless 7th round pick on La'el Collins and figure the agent/contract issues out after.

The total control he has over the coaching staff, including dictating playing time of some players, is another frustration that I won't get into.

These are all just my opinions, but just going off of the players you're naming, they wouldn't have been good picks, IMO. I'd have rather traded down, but if I had to make a pick at #30, I'd rather have Dorsett.

I can't speak for NE but in Texas he played in 4-3 scheme usually inside. Until Strong got in town where he flipped to DE...

But none of those players would've started here in Indy. So I really wouldn't care about their production. Plus these are just examples. I'd be shocked of you were to call Darby a reach if we take him in the first and he performs next to Davis like he had for Buffalo. Js

I wouldn't rather have Dorsett but I do agree we should've traded down. Imo is rather have depth for the other spots rather than the depth we have now at WR.

I'll repeat what I said right after the pick was made: I have no doubt Dorsett will be a great player with Luck as his QB but the efficiency of the pick disappoints me. A grooming Olineman, ILB (what I wanted), Corner or Safety would've been a much better pick so we aren't starting rookies in future years. Due to our FA ventures. We need someone for Toler, Adams (hopefully Geathers fills that), Jackson, and Herremans.

I was angry at the time of Dorsett pick because I wanted Brown or Collins but Dorsett, Anderson, and Parry picks have worked out pretty well so far and all look to have excellent potential.

However, good and bad picks don't offset each other. I've said plenty of times I can't kill him for Trent because of our RB situation at the time, w Ballard going down and the good season Trent had carrying the offense in Cleveland on his own. Picking in the late 20's annually does not yield the same high quality picks that the bottom feeder teams get. The talent difference is exponentially less the more you get away from the top 3. My best example is the Jets wasting Vernon Gholston with a top 5 which is way worse than the Trent trade. Us taking Werner in the 20's doesn't anger me as much as it does others but that's just me. He has done a great job stealing Vontae and hopefully now with Sio.

Despite what everyone outside this fanbase (and including some in this fanbase) thinks he has tried to work on the O line, with Cherilus and Donald Thomas getting injured and several others not panning out like Herremans (so far). I'm glad he didn't overpay for someone like Alex Mack or Evan Mathis. However, I am frustrated he wasn't as aggressive for an OL like Incognito who has learned his lesson and would have checked his ego at the door here as a new guy on an established team, or at least use a meaningless 7th round pick on La'el Collins and figure the agent/contract issues out after.

The total control he has over the coaching staff, including dictating playing time of some players, is another frustration that I won't get into.

Nice avatar by the way. I thought I thought of something different but we think a like haha. Mine is at a different angle though. Yeah the Parry, Anderson, and Dorsett picks are looking good about now. I was one of the few that loved the Dorsett pick because you cant teach speed. We needed more speed on Offense because other than TY we didn't have it.

I can't speak for NE but in Texas he played in 4-3 scheme usually inside. Until Strong got in town where he flipped to DE...

But none of those players would've started here in Indy. So I really wouldn't care about their production. Plus these are just examples. I'd be shocked of you were to call Darby a reach if we take him in the first and he performs next to Davis like he had for Buffalo. Js

I wouldn't rather have Dorsett but I do agree we should've traded down. Imo is rather have depth for the other spots rather than the depth we have now at WR.

I'll repeat what I said right after the pick was made: I have no doubt Dorsett will be a great player with Luck as his QB but the efficiency of the pick disappoints me. A grooming Olineman, ILB (what I wanted), Corner or Safety would've been a much better pick so we aren't starting rookies in future years. Due to our FA ventures. We need someone for Toler, Adams (hopefully Geathers fills that), Jackson, and Herremans.

In three months, a lot of these guys will look like bad picks or great steals. That's impossible to predict in April, and that's the case every year.

All you can do is go off of the scouting and boards available at the time. Some of those are junk, including the most popular ones, but if the prevailing opinion is that a player was a late second rounder, I don't think it makes sense to say we should have picked him at 29. That's bad drafting, IMO. Of course, the only thing that matters is the team's board, but they pay attention to where they think other teams are ranking players, also.

I also don't think it's good drafting to target positions of need. And that's what everyone with the Colts has said, including Irsay: let the board dictate to you. If you want to go after a position of need, identify your guy and go up for him. But he's still a rookie, so you better have a contingency in place.

This year, there was hardly any movement in the first round on draft day. I doubt there were any real offers for 29, I think people were working on Day 2 deals. But ideally, a move down and then taking Kendricks or Landon Collins (who isn't playing well) or something like that would have been great. Yet and still, I think Dorsett is going to be GOOD, and because I believe the Colts stuck to their board, I'm good with the pick. It helps that we got Anderson later on.

I've gone on record and said that I've changed my mind on the Dorsett pick. Anderson and Parry are proving that I was right. I wanted Brown, Goldman, or Collins at first too. But we drafted players at all of those same positions who look just as good if not better.

But I have to admit....it's crazy to think that we could've have Brown AND Anderson. That line would have been crazy to imagine. Imagine Langford comes out for a play and you have Anderson, Parry, and Brown on the line. Scary.

Or imagine a secondary with Davis, Smith, and Darby. Or a Geathers/Collins safety duo. I'm happy with Dorsett but it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

I've gone on record and said that I've changed my mind on the Dorsett pick. Anderson and Parry are proving that I was right. I wanted Brown, Goldman, or Collins at first too. But we drafted players at all of those same positions who look just as good if not better.

But I have to admit....it's crazy to think that we could've have Brown AND Anderson. That line would have been crazy to imagine. Imagine Langford comes out for a play and you have Anderson, Parry, and Brown on the line. Scary.

Or imagine a secondary with Davis, Smith, and Darby. Or a Geathers/Collins safety duo. I'm happy with Dorsett but it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

I'm so unimpressed with Malcom Brown. I was before the draft, and I still am. He might prove me wrong, but I've said all along that I think he's ordinary, and so far, he's been ordinary for the Pats. I'd rather not have Brown, even if I hated the Dorsett pick. I'd rather have Goldman, if we're going to force it.

Hindsight being what it is -- with Toler, Butler and Smith being hurt -- Darby would have been perfect.

I'm so unimpressed with Malcom Brown. I was before the draft, and I still am. He might prove me wrong, but I've said all along that I think he's ordinary, and so far, he's been ordinary for the Pats. I'd rather not have Brown, even if I hated the Dorsett pick. I'd rather have Goldman, if we're going to force it.

Hindsight being what it is -- with Toler, Butler and Smith being hurt -- Darby would have been perfect.

The only person telling me Brown was a 1st round talent is my brother who is a massive Texas fan

Thanks. I will have to keep track of his play. Sounds like you got a solid player.

You know me as a nasty old man. But you also know I tell it like it is. I've watched both of these guys carefully for reasons we know are obvious. So far , by my eye this isn't even close. Anderson is the way more impressive player. I would bet anything if they redrafted tomorrow , Anderson would go before Brown. Not saying Brown is a bust , wasted pick , bad player ... any of that. What I'm saying is Anderson appears to have the potential to be special while Brown looks to have a lower ceiling. 

It's not uncommon for a interior defensive lineman to be rather quite their rookie year.

Dorsett has more fumbles than TD's.....duh, he sucks.

That's part of what makes Anderson (and Parry, who seems to get better each week) so impressive. I'm not comparing them to the great players, but guys like Donald and Watt and Dareus, etc., were good right away.