Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi Jets vs Colts Podcast

krunk

Says we are unsure of how we want to use our personnel offensively

Says our personnel groupings don't make a whole lot of sense.

Says it's criminal that we don't have a 3 step passing game.

Says we should be molding the offense in the passing game around Moncrief, Dorsett, and T.Y.

Also says Fleener and the Tight ends need to be more involved.

Says he would not be leading with Andre Johnson.  Says he's not as bad as Reggie was, but he's not far from it.

Says he likes what Pep is doing with the ground game. Needs to make a decision what to do and who to use through the air.

Says offensive line isn't great.  I thought I heard him say in certain areas that even Costanzo is struggling.

Wasn't high on Lance Louis.

Said he'd be involving Dorsett in the game much more.

Said he'd use Andre Johnson in spots and situations vs him being featured.

Says he'd stay away from putting the young running backs on the field in critical situations.  Gave an example of Josh Robinson missing a block.  Says he'd have no prblem using them in the ground game, but the passing game Gore needs to be on the field.

Says teams know we want to go down the field with long 5 to 7 step drops so they are just blitzing to force the issue and cause turnovers. Plus they know we don't have much of a short game.  3 step drop is almost non existent.

Says we should be molding the offense in the passing game around Moncrief, Dorsett, and T.Y.

Says he would not be leading with Andre Johnson.  Says he's not as bad as Reggie was, but he's not far from it.

Says he likes what Pep is doing with the ground game. Needs to make a decision what to do and who to use through the air.

Says offensive line isn't great.  I thought I heard him say in certain areas that even Costanzo is struggling.

Says he'd stay away from putting the young running backs on the field in critical situations.  Gave an example of Josh Robinson missing a block.  Says he'd have no prblem using them in the ground game, but the passing game Gore needs to be on the field.

Says teams know we want to go down the field with long 5 to 7 step drops so they are just blitzing to force the issue and cause turnovers. Plus they know we don't have much of a short game.  3 step drop is almost non existent.

I agree with pretty much all of that.

Thanks for the breakdown Krunk.

So he is basically confirming the major sentiment on the board...

That sounds just like the report colts staff got back from "the film guy"  this is why I've said Pep needs fired for a long time having access to game tape makes it painfully obvious Pep does not or has not had what it takes to call plays at a NFL level .

I know his head coaching record was terrible, but that was more of a product of the horrific teams he had at the time. But after listening to him for several years....why is Venturi not a part of the Colts staff in some fashion?? Maybe in a consultant role...but man he knows his stuff. I know he is older, but so are guys like Tom Moore and Dick LeBeau. It just seems like he really could help the team utilize who they have a lot better. In fact it's like Pep listens to Venturi and does the opposite

Yup pretty much!  All in all most of the problems he pointed to come down to coaching, both the HC and the OC to me.

Things being schemed properly, and personnel usage.  Also he liked how Robert Mathis looked, but could not understand

why we kept dropping him back in coverage so much instead of having him rush the QB.

In regards to the Andre Johnson thing I'd be using him similar to how the Jets were using Eric Decker.  Getting him matched up on linebackers.  Matched up against guys like Dqwell Jackson.  Get that big body over the middle like we did against the Rams, I think he'd be very effective coming out of the bunch sets.  I wouldn't be surprised if even Andre didn't like how he was being used.

That sounds just like the report colts staff got back from "the film guy"  this is why I've said Pep needs fired for a long time having access to game tape makes it painfully obvious Pep does not or has not had what it takes to call plays at a NFL level .

Yeah also the Philly game last year. The counter runs in unbalanced formation was working really well then Philly adjusted and it seemed like Pep spent all week just thinking up the unbalanced line and was surprised that he might have to have a plan B.

I know his head coaching record was terrible, but that was more of a product of the horrific teams he had at the time. But after listening to humble for several years....why is Venturi not a part of the Colts staff in some fashion?? Maybe in a consultant role...but man he knows his stuff. I know he is older, but so are guys like Tom Moore and Dick LeBeau

Maybe he doesn't want to coach and is enjoying retirement.

I think when you have a Head Coach, who also has an Assistant Head Coach who supposedly helps with offensive and defensive scheming.  And then you have an OC, and between the 3 of them you don't know how to use your personnel and you don't know how to effectively scheme things that looks really really funny!

I don't know if Pep needs to be fired, but they collectively need to make some solid adjustments to what they are doing or else.

Yup pretty much!  All in all most of the problems he pointed to come down to coaching, both the HC and the OC to me.

Things being schemed properly, and personnel usage.  Also he liked how Robert Mathis looked, but could not understand

why we kept dropping him back in coverage so much instead of having him rush the QB.

In regards to the Andre Johnson thing I'd be using him similar to how the Jets were using Eric Decker.  Getting him matched up on linebackers.  Matched up against guys like Dqwell Jackson.  Get that big body over the middle like we did against the Rams, I think he'd be very effective coming out of the bunch sets.  I wouldn't be surprised if even Andre didn't like how he was being used.

Using bunch sets and stacks might also help the other receivers get a free release, which should help get separation.

I think when you have a Head Coach, who also has an Assistant Head Coach who supposedly helps with offensive and defensive scheming.  And then you have an OC, and between the 3 of them you don't know how to use your personnel and you don't know how to effectively scheme things that looks really really funny!

I don't know if Pep needs to be fired, but they collectively need to make some solid adjustments to what they are doing or else.

I think the situation makes more sense if the rumors are true that Pep is a Grigson hire and Pagano wants Chud as his OC. It could be at this point that they aren't collaborating like they did in previous years that might have covered up Pep's limitations.

Love Rick Venturi, thanks for sharing :).

Yeah, pretty much what most of us fans could see. The other day, I called up the Joe and Grady show and went on a rant on pretty much the same points. :)

You know the old adage, it is not what you know, it is who you know. A lot of OCs and DCs at the NFL level who come up, either from college or within the NFL ranks, I find making head scratching play calling and unless you have a whole bunch of good ones working together at the same time with the right players, it is hard to go head-to-head against heavyweights like Belichick and his staff. These guys show us that Xs and Os matter more than Johnnys and Joes if the Xs and Os are done in a terrible fashion.

He thinks heʻs still challenging defenses out of PAC...this is the NFL Peppy...the cream of the crop...go back to college fb if you canʻt handle the it

I think the situation makes more sense if the rumors are true that Pep is a Grigson hire and Pagano wants Chud as his OC. It could be at this point that they aren't collaborating like they did in previous years that might have covered up Pep's limitations.

I'm not sure Chud is the answer either.  I mean he's got some decent history as a good OC, and he was the OC in Cam Newtons 1st year when he had all that passing success, but I remember in Cams second year all Cam ever did was take veiled shots at Chud.  I don't know who is to blame individually, but I blame the collective. I blame Pagano, I blame Chud, I blame Pep.  The 3 of them need to get their stuff together and make some championship decisons and adjustments or they will all be gone by next year.

Wasn't it a year ago or something when Pep made an indirect hinting at Belichick knowing the plays called when he was with the Jets? It was on Stampede Blue.

Now, my answer to Pep is, hmm..., that is because you were SO predictable that Belichick didn't need his cameras??? :)

To me those TE's are who you build your passing game around because of the matchup problems they will cause up the seam and over the middle, That should free up the rb.

Now obviously you want to keep Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett involved BUT while Hilton and Dorsett are speed demons they are not physical wr's that are going to win at the point of attack consistently so you have to move them around.

Let them be complimentary players, They will still have days they get big yardage numbers. Both WR's can take it the distance on 1 touch, they don't need 10-15 targets to do that. I also think Moncrief earned being used more based on the last game

I also think based on 65 plays a game average we have ran this year on offense you want to run more 35/30 run/pass ratio but trying to average 6 targets a piece to your TE's/WR's (3 WR=18 passes, 2 TE's=30 passes) based on matchups

I said this week, and last season which was no different, Andrew Luck throws the ball from the SAME SPOT in the backfield on every passing play. Dropping back or shotgun makes no difference.

The defense doesn't even have to focus on Luck per se....they just need to run to that spot in the back field every down and Luck will be there.

The failure of the coaching staff to see this is mind boggling.

I am more convinced than ever that Pep Hamilton simply was given the old Arians play book the Colts had and is trying to run those passing plays. He may know how to use an unbalanced line in the running game, but I don't think he fully understands the NFL passing game.

To me those TE's are who you build your passing game around because of the matchup problems they will cause up the seam and over the middle, That should free up the rb.

Now obviously you want to keep Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett involved BUT while Hilton and Dorsett are speed demons they are not physical wr's that are going to win at the point of attack consistently so you have to move them around.

Let them be complimentary players, They will still have days they get big yardage numbers. Both WR's can take it the distance on 1 touch, they don't need 10-15 targets to do that. I also think Moncrief earned being used more based on the last game

I also think based on 65 plays a game average we have ran this year on offense you want to run more 35/30 run/pass ratio but trying to average 6 targets a piece to your TE's/WR's (3 WR=18 passes, 2 TE's=30 passes) based on matchups

Couldn't agree more.  When you swing tackle is targeted as much as your TE, you know something is wrong.

I don't want to mimic the Pats, but they've basically built that offense around a stud TE and another decent TE.  You add in a few receivers that aren't much better than average. 

They really don't care who the RB's are, and you never hear any of their fans complaining about the O line even though they'll use rookies and rotate guys in at will. 

It helps that Brady gets rid of the ball so fast.  But the point is that their talent isn't that much better than ours.  Yet they get so much more out of it.

Thanks so much Krunk. Your notes on his evaluation are spot on too. :-)

I don`t always remember to go listen to Venturi, a mistake, his analysis and explanations are great food for thought.

When they signed Andre i immediately came on here about high expectations for bunched sets. Pep didn`t use them much last year and watched NE Slaughter us with them.

The only thing worse than a slow learner in a no learner.

Thanks so much Krunk. Your notes on his evaluation are spot on too. :-)

I don`t always remember to go listen to Venturi, a mistake, his analysis and explanations are great food for thought.

When they signed Andre i immediately came on here about high expectations for bunched sets. Pep didn`t use them much last year and watched NE Slaughter us with them.

The only thing worse than a slow learner in a no learner.

Plus, coming up with a series set of 3 step drop plays also helps with minimizing holding calls for the OL because they don't have to block that long. Just another added benefit that came to my mind.

I said this week, and last season which was no different, Andrew Luck throws the ball from the SAME SPOT in the backfield on every passing play. Dropping back or shotgun makes no difference.

The defense doesn't even have to focus on Luck per se....they just need to run to that spot in the back field every down and Luck will be there.

The failure of the coaching staff to see this is mind boggling.

I am more convinced than ever that Pep Hamilton simply was given the old Arians play book the Colts had and is trying to run those passing plays. He may know how to use an unbalanced line in the running game, but I don't think he fully understands the NFL passing game.

I don't know if someone influenced his decision making or what, but he is not running the style of offense he initially came in talking about.  When he first got here he kept talking about a "high percentage" passing game with very little wasted plays.  In other words more of a West Coast offense system.  What we are running is the antithesis of that I think.  When you go from what he initially spoke of to switching over to what he says is  a No Coast offense.  He calls it No Coast, but from everything I've watched it's pretty much the Air Coryal/Bruce Arians/ Joe Gibbs and Mark Rypien down field passing attack minus all the WR motions. That type of offense works but I think you need to have a pretty decent offensive line.  

I don't see a lot of high percentage throws, throws that help you to accentuate a bad offensive line, throws that are easy reads with a low chance of being intercepted. I just think you need to have this type of stuff when your pass blocking isn't that great. People say the line is bad, but I think it's more so the truth in the passing game. Adding in lots of high percentage, low risk throws will give you a decent line overall. The run blocking appears to be fine.  So what has caused him to get so far away from his initial assesment is what I want to know?  If it's supposed to be a hybrid of the West Coast offense and Bruce Arians what happened to the West Coast portions of it?

I don't know if someone influenced his decision making or what, but he is not running the style of offense he initially came in talking about.  When he first got here he kept talking about a "high percentage" passing game with very little wasted plays.  In other words more of a West Coast offense system.  What we are running is the antithesis of that I think.  When you go from what he initially spoke of to switching over to what he says is  a No Coast offense.  He calls it No Coast, but from everything I've watched it's pretty much the Air Coryal/Bruce Arians/ Joe Gibbs and Mark Rypien down field passing attack which works but I think you need to have a pretty decent offensive line.  I don't see a lot of high percentage throws, throws that help you to accentuate a bad offensive line, throws that are easy reads with a low chance of being intercepted. So what has caused him to get so far away from his initial assesment is what I want to know?  If it's supposed to be a hybrid of the West Coast offense and Bruce Arians what happened to the West Coast portions of it?

Yes.

What's are the criticisms of Arians' offense.

1. The plays take long to develop

2. They are aggressive downfield

3. The QB stays in the pocket

4. The QB gets banged up

Those are also the characteristics of the Colts passing game since Arians left. Pep has installed nothing, IMO. What's sad is, there is an Asst HC named Chud who apparently hasn't influenced the O very much either.

What I dislike from this report is that many of us coach coaches have seen and said many of the same things. In regards to the 3 step drops or out of shotgun sets, how long have we asked for more of that against blitzing teams. Tom Moore would have devised schemes to beat everyone of them and given Luck sets to play with and audible to according to his ability to make the right audibles as he did with Manning in his early few years. Pep is using college play mentality where the good and bad teams can play pretty straight up. Not close to the same in the NFL and pep hasn't figured this out and neither Pags or Griggs has said get more creative or gtho

What I dislike from this report is that many of us coach coaches have seen and said many of the same things. In regards to the 3 step drops or out of shotgun sets, how long have we asked for more of that against blitzing teams. Tom Moore would have devised schemes to beat everyone of them and given Luck sets to play with and audible to according to his ability to make the right audibles as he did with Manning in his early few years. Pep is using college play mentality where the good and bad teams can play pretty straight up. Not close to the same in the NFL and pep hasn't figured this out and neither Pags or Griggs has said get more creative or gtho

exactly...

everyone can see it apparently, except the teams OC...

So in other words he [Rick Venturi] stated the obvious and said what he would do or what needs to be done. Did he say anything on HOW he would go about doing this?

What more is there to say besides "stop calling long passing plays when facing a blitz" and "instead call shorter passing plays".

Plus, coming up with a series set of 3 step drop plays also helps with minimizing holding calls for the OL because they don't have to block that long. Just another added benefit that came to my mind.

Furthermore, nothing frustrates pass rushers like 3 step drops and the short passing game.  You get a lot more time on your 5/7 step drops when you've softened up the pass rush and they no longer believe they'll be able to get home on this play.

Furthermore, nothing frustrates pass rushers like 3 step drops and the short passing game.  You get a lot more time on your 5/7 step drops when you've softened up the pass rush and they no longer believe they'll be able to get home on this play.

It's what teams have done to us on numerous occasions. It's how the Saints won the SB. 

It's what teams have done to us on numerous occasions. It's how the Saints won the SB. 

I honestly can't believe that it is Wednesday after the 2nd game of Pep's third season as OC and we are having this conversation about the importance of balancing the passing game with some short game rhythm.....

It is at this point that I don't need more data to believe that we might not have the right coaching formula - and I may have the longest trigger on this forum....you have to be fundamentally sound and we are not.  

Pagano may be ticked off that Luck is getting so much pressure, but he isn't taking accountability for the glaring holes in the scheme that he controls.  I love him, but I'm not listening.  Our O-line is more than adequate if we have some rhythm.