Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drew Brees shoulder injury could miss games

PeterBowman

So much for how the Max Unger trade was going to be the best deal ever and Brees was to be protected better than last year. 

You guys can bash Brees all you want even when he's hurt cause Manning is 2-0 behind a top 3 defensive unit with a team that has built a great team around him while he struggles, but if you actually watch the Saints, he was not protected well at all yesterday. If that was Manning, he'd be injured too. 

Tampa Bay keyed on blitzes yesterday far better than Arizona did and knew how to pinpoint the weakness in pressure. This is actually not the first time Tampa Bay has injured Brees. They injured his shoulder and leg back in 2013, but it went unreported until the end of the season. 

The Saints have a lot of issues on offense, mostly due to them practically giving away what little bit of good offensive players they had in the off season and not building up around it.

I think they're in a rebuilding in situation. There's 25 new rookies on this team, that's nearly half the team. Brees is 36 years old, the hourglass has been going down on him for a few years now. No one was expecting the Saints to be a Super Bowl team this year, unless they were crazy. 

So much for how the Max Unger trade was going to be the best deal ever and Brees was to be protected better than last year. 

You guys can bash Brees all you want even when he's hurt cause Manning is 2-0 behind a top 3 defensive unit with a team that has built a great team around him while he struggles, but if you actually watch the Saints, he was not protected well at all yesterday. If that was Manning, he'd be injured too. 

Tampa Bay keyed on blitzes yesterday far better than Arizona did and knew how to pinpoint the weakness in pressure. This is actually not the first time Tampa Bay has injured Brees. They injured his shoulder and leg back in 2013, but it went unreported until the end of the season. 

The Saints have a lot of issues on offense, mostly due to them practically giving away what little bit of good offensive players they had in the off season and not building up around it.

I think they're in a rebuilding in situation. There's 25 new rookies on this team, that's nearly half the team. Brees is 36 years old, the hourglass has been going down on him for a few years now. No one was expecting the Saints to be a Super Bowl team this year, unless they were crazy. 

You think they get rid of Brees next year and get a young QB out of draft or sign RG3 or both

Not bashing Brees at all. I just think what I posted was a legit question. He is an all-time great so nobody can dispute that but his team hasn't been winning much for a while. Not even saying it's his fault but the QB normally gets most of the blame unfortunately. Peyton always did when he lost in the Playoffs, Luck does now.

You think they get rid of Brees next year and get a young QB out of draft or sign RG3 or both

I have no idea. 

The Saints are in a difficult position that they put themselves in. 

Brees was not happy with trading Jimmy Graham, and though I was for that trade, I see now it was a bad idea since Unger was supposed to protect Brees and now that hasn't worked out in 2 games. Most of all, the Saints offense has really struggled with wide receivers ever since they traded Graham. Well, not just Graham but Kenny Stills is gone too, and a lot of people wouldn't know that name, but Stills was a great target that could jump up and catch balls. It's obvious right now that Brandon Cooks isn't as good as they thought since he gets beat so easily down field. Colston is old and can't really do much (had problems last year) and Snead was absolutely terrible yesterday. 

Some believed the Saints would focus on running the ball this year, that isn't going to happen. They're averaging 2-3 yards a carry on the ground. All summer long Saints fans went on and on and on how Unger supposedly was the reason Lynch was so good, so if they believe that, it shouldn't be an excuse why he can't make holes for Ingram and Spiller to run through. 

I think giving Ingram a big contract was a huge mistake. Last year was his only good season, and so far in 2 games, he's playing like his usual self before 2014. 

Eventually they are going to have to rebuild, and when they do, I hope Rob Ryan is gone, as well as Mickey Loomis. I don't care what Saints fans say how crazy I am. Loomis has completely screwed this team up since 2012 with his awful signings. It was his idea to get rid of Graham, get rid of Stills, and then bring in Brandon Browner on defense to give up a 40 yard pass interference call yesterday. 

Not bashing Brees at all. I just think what I posted was a legit question. He is an all-time great so nobody can dispute that but his team hasn't been winning much for a while. Not even saying it's his fault but the QB normally gets most of the blame unfortunately. Peyton always did when he lost in the Playoffs, Luck does now.

I agree with you, QB's get all the blame. They're treated like the president of the U.S. When things are going smooth, everyone loves him. The minute something bad happens, he's thrown under the bus. 

After yesterday, I totally believe our offensive line could get any QB injured weather it be Manning or Rodgers or Brady. In the first quarter, Tampa Bay was blitzing right over the middle and getting to Brees so easily. Late in the game, they started rushing from the right side and had better success doing that. 

Since Brees is injured, I do hope he sits out a few games so his health isn't put more in danger out there on the field. 

I have no idea. 

The Saints are in a difficult position that they put themselves in. 

Brees was not happy with trading Jimmy Graham, and though I was for that trade, I see now it was a bad idea since Unger was supposed to protect Brees and now that hasn't worked out in 2 games. Most of all, the Saints offense has really struggled with wide receivers ever since they traded Graham. Well, not just Graham but Kenny Stills is gone too, and a lot of people wouldn't know that name, but Stills was a great target that could jump up and catch balls. It's obvious right now that Brandon Cooks isn't as good as they thought since he gets beat so easily down field. Colston is old and can't really do much (had problems last year) and Snead was absolutely terrible yesterday. 

Some believed the Saints would focus on running the ball this year, that isn't going to happen. They're averaging 2-3 yards a carry on the ground. All summer long Saints fans went on and on and on how Unger supposedly was the reason Lynch was so good, so if they believe that, it shouldn't be an excuse why he can't make holes for Ingram and Spiller to run through. 

I think giving Ingram a big contract was a huge mistake. Last year was his only good season, and so far in 2 games, he's playing like his usual self before 2014. 

Eventually they are going to have to rebuild, and when they do, I hope Rob Ryan is gone, as well as Mickey Loomis. I don't care what Saints fans say how crazy I am. Loomis has completely screwed this team up since 2012 with his awful signings. It was his idea to get rid of Graham, get rid of Stills, and then bring in Brandon Browner on defense to give up a 40 yard pass interference call yesterday. 

I agree with you, QB's get all the blame. They're treated like the president of the U.S. When things are going smooth, everyone loves him. The minute something bad happens, he's thrown under the bus. 

After yesterday, I totally believe our offensive line could get any QB injured weather it be Manning or Rodgers or Brady. In the first quarter, Tampa Bay was blitzing right over the middle and getting to Brees so easily. Late in the game, they started rushing from the right side and had better success doing that. 

Since Brees is injured, I do hope he sits out a few games so his health isn't put more in danger out there on the field. 

Yeah it stinks Brees is injured. He is a class act and has been a Top 5 QB in the league since you guys beat us in the SB. I feel you regarding the O.Line, Luck gets hit way too much too. He's young so he can take it more but all it takes is the wrong hit and then your season is over.

According to this, he was clearly playing through yesterday's game with the injury early on. 

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/09/video_replays_show_drew_brees.html#incart_big-photo

Those videos here are only a prelude to the hits Brees was taking all Sunday afternoon. If there is video of that entire game, you could make a compilation of a beating. 

Pump the breaks. He is not an all-time great. Not even top 20 all-time.

He only succeeds in a passer friendly league.

Then that would be true of every single QB that is part of his generation - Manning, Brady, Rodgers, etc ... which is why Marino is still tops IMO in terms of the best pure passer that has ever played.

So does Manning, Rodgers, and Brady, as well as all good quarterback today benefits from a passer friendly league.

But Brees was average at best before the 2007 season. The year the league became so passer friendly.

Brady was a three time champion, but had average seasons. He killed it in 2005 though.

Manning has done it before and after the shift in the league.

Actually Manning has played more years before the passer friendly than he has in.

They have all benefited greatly from the passing rules and also passing friendly offenses. The Chargers were not the same type of offense as what Brees got in New Orleans with Payton. Same thing with Brady post 2006 - Bill switched to a more pass heavy offense. Manning has always had his Indy offense and his weapons to rack up the stats. It is what it is. I believe they are all great in their own right but I don't believe any of them including Favre touch Marino's marks had the rules not changed and the game evolved to a pass first focused offensive mind set. JMO.

But Brees was average at best before the 2007 season. The year the league became so passer friendly.

Brady was a three time champion, but had average seasons. He killed it in 2005 though.

Manning has done it before and after the shift in the league.

Manning also has been privileged with all star talent his entire career, including two Hall of Fame worthy wide receivers, and still only has one Super Bowl. Brees got his ring with his best talent being Marques Colston on offense. Don't even go there comparing Manning and Brees. If Manning had to work with the receivers the Saints have had since 2006, his stats wouldn't be as pretty. 

The league became "Passer friendly" long before the 2000's. The average year is mostly said to be 1994. That's when wide receivers began to consistently rack up 1,000 yard seasons and QB's were averaging near the 4,000 yard mark. Carl Pickens had 3 seasons in a row where he racked up over 1,000 yards receiving with Jeff Blake of all QB's throwing to him. Pickens will never be remembered as one of the best receivers, but he produced greatly during that time. 

I get it, you don't like Brees. But that argument of a quarterback benefiting from a passer friendly league can be spun for any QB today, and yes, including the golden boys that are supposed to be the best ever (Manning and Brady). Every QB today benefits from playing in a passer friendly league, as been since the mid 90's. 

Manning also has been privileged with all star talent his entire career, including two Hall of Fame worthy wide receivers, and still only has one Super Bowl. Brees got his ring with his best talent being Marques Colston on offense. Don't even go there comparing Manning and Brees. If Manning had to work with the receivers the Saints have had since 2006, his stats wouldn't be as pretty. 

The league became "Passer friendly" long before the 2000's. The average year is mostly said to be 1994. That's when wide receivers began to consistently rack up 1,000 yard seasons and QB's were averaging near the 4,000 yard mark. Carl Pickens had 3 seasons in a row where he racked up over 1,000 yards receiving with Jeff Blake of all QB's throwing to him. Pickens will never be remembered as one of the best receivers, but he produced greatly during that time. 

I get it, you don't like Brees. But that argument of a quarterback benefiting from a passer friendly league can be spun for any QB today, and yes, including the golden boys that are supposed to be the best ever (Manning and Brady). Every QB today benefits from playing in a passer friendly league, as been since the mid 90's. 

Let's be honest...none of these qbs were taking the pounding like Montana and Marino and even earlier qbs. I will say one thing....the changes has allowed these guys to play many more productive years later in their career but they all would be great qbs in any era....we just don't know how long they would survive. It allowed Favre and Manning to play to 40 and probably Brady too but Brees and these guys would all be great imo.

Also I know Peyton has had Reggie, Marvin, and now has Thomas but lets not act like Decker is still some pro bowl caliber player now that he is gone....lets not act like Sanders was a pro bowl player and Pittsburgh let him go. Lets not act like Welker had much left on his tires...lets not act like Stokely and Collie were world beaters they benefited greatly from Peyton. Dallas Clark, Julius Thomas, and Pierre Garcon were pretty raw players and had talent but Peyton worked very hard to get them where they could run his system and be successful. I think Peyton ended up with some great talent but they maximized their potential by all the time and work he put in with them and I'm not sure outside the 3 guys Marvin, Demarious, and Reggie would be nearly successful without Peyton.

haha Point taken. What is the latest, have you heard? Any idea how many games he'll miss?

There doesn't seem to be any clear cut info as to the extent of the bruising, I mean look at Hilton, I thought for sure he was out for the Jets game.

If they were 2-0 or 1-1 I think they sit him. 0-2 and a game against a division rival? They might rush him back.

The answer of course is Luke McCowan, the follow up ad writes itself...

There doesn't seem to be any clear cut info as to the extent of the bruising, I mean look at Hilton, I thought for sure he was out for the Jets game.

If they were 2-0 or 1-1 I think they sit him. 0-2 and a game against a division rival? They might rush him back.

The answer of course is Luke McCowan, the follow up ad writes itself...

Yes, same here.   I just read earlier that Drew is listed as "questionable".   

I agree with you, and  am  (imagine that  :P)    They should rest him, rather than take a chance he injures his shoulder even more.

Brees has been ruled out for Sunday, http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13738672/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-rotator-cuff-injury

I think this is smart by the Saints. No reason to risk further injury although Brees had not missed a start since 2006. I didn't realize that. Very impressive considering he had major arm surgery when he came over.

I've read that a full 15% of the football players have suffered injury so far this year-

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/09/21/3703665/the-human-toll-of-2-weeks-of-nfl-football/

And people here get upset about our O line.  Saints trade Graham for Max Unger, and draft Andrus Peat in round 1.  They also have Jahri Evans at G etc...  and Brees still gets beat like a drum.  Now he is out.  Dallas has arguably the best O-Line, and Romo is out >= 8 weeks with a broken collarbone.  What if Brees is out another game?  I'll bet Dallas / New Orleans on a Sunday night looked great on paper, until the reality of a Brandon Weeden vs Luke McCown showdown next Sunday became a real possibility! Someone is beggin' for a Flex!  That can't happen though.  LOL

Injuries are really derailing a lot of team plans, but seems so expected these days.  Very real chance of the Saints being 0 - 3.

I've read that a full 15% of the football players have suffered injury so far this year-

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/09/21/3703665/the-human-toll-of-2-weeks-of-nfl-football/

And people here get upset about our O line.  Saints trade Graham for Max Unger, and draft Andrus Peat in round 1.  They also have Jahri Evans at G etc...  and Brees still gets beat like a drum.  Now he is out.  Dallas has arguably the best O-Line, and Romo is out >= 8 weeks with a broken collarbone.  What if Brees is out another game?  I'll bet Dallas / New Orlans on a Sunday night looked great on paper, until the reality of a Brandon Weeden vs Luke McCown showdown next Sunday became a real possibility! Someone is beggin' for a Flex!  That can't happen though.  LOL

Injuries are really derailing a lot of team plans, but seems so expected these days.  Very real chance of the Saints being 0 - 3.

It is not just the injuries but injuries to so many key guys. Revis is also a game time decision this Sunday with a hamstring. And the Pats are also missing their starting center who is on designated IR and their best outside receiver in LaFell who is on PUP.  It was a rough TC for so many teams and the start of the season has only been worse. And the product on the field has really suffered. I will not even bother watching the Dallas game.