Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3....The Safety?

Detectacon

He has the physical tools to be a decent safety, in my opinion.  He's big, strong, fast, and aggressive.  He'll also know what the QB is looking at.  He won't be much of a run defender, but I think he might be a decent center-fielder if he is given a lot of time to develop at that position.  It might be the only way the Redskins could get any return from their huge investment

He has the physical tools to be a decent safety, in my opinion.  He's big, strong, fast, and aggressive.  He'll also know what the QB is looking at.  He won't be much of a run defender, but I think he might be a decent center-fielder if he is given a lot of time to develop at that position.  It might be the only way the Redskins could get any return from their huge investment

I think there is some other motive for doing this rather than a real position switch. No way he can learn the position this year and be worth any trade value before year's end. Also no way they will pay him 16 mill next year to continue to learn . So there's really zero chance the Redskins can benefit from this in the way you're stating. Just adds more to this already crazy saga and it would seem they are messing with him. 

Furthermore , he would appear way too injury prone to play safety.

He has the physical tools to be a decent safety, in my opinion. He's big, strong, fast, and aggressive. He'll also know what the QB is looking at. He won't be much of a run defender, but I think he might be a decent center-fielder if he is given a lot of time to develop at that position. It might be the only way the Redskins could get any return from their huge investment

RG3 is not big :lol:

He can't take hits as a QB, doubt he'll give them as a safety

6'2", 222 lbs.  That's pretty big for a safety

It makes no sense for the Redskins to move him to safety . Are you actually thinking they are considering playing him at sag=fety next year and paying him 16 million ? You need to walk me through the process where the Redskins might get a "return on their investment" by having him practice at safety , as you stated in post # 2. 

It makes no sense for the Redskins to move him to safety . Are you actually thinking they are considering playing him at sag=fety next year and paying him 16 million ? You need to walk me through the process where the Redskins might get a "return on their investment" by having him practice at safety , as you stated in post # 2. 

He's not going to see the field at QB.  Maybe, if they can play him at safety, they might be able to get something out of it.  He might be able to defend even one pass, which would be more than he'd do as a QB

He's not going to see the field at QB.  Maybe, if they can play him at safety, they might be able to get something out of it.  He might be able to defend even one pass, which would be more than he'd do as a QB

Agree with the first part. But how can they even dream of playing him at safety ? If he gets injured , they are on the hook for 16 million in 2016. Is it possible that he ends up to be an NFL safety ? Yeah... he has the size , speed and probably the brains to do that. But it just defies logic that the Redskins can play him there or trade him with that in mind. The only way it makes sense is if RG3 asked for a chance to start learning that position as he wanted to give up on being a QB. Then I guess he could agree to void out that 2016 contract and go from there ? Dunno.. none of this has made sense .. starting with the skins using that 2016 5th year option...

it would make no sense to have a 17 million dollar QB playing safety unless he is really good at it. 

BUT then again they might end up paying him that just to sit on the bench

the redskins love it when they leave the media scratching their heads, so nothing should surprise us here

I think there is some other motive for doing this rather than a real position switch. No way he can learn the position this year and be worth any trade value before year's end. Also no way they will pay him 16 mill next year to continue to learn . So there's really zero chance the Redskins can benefit from this in the way you're stating. Just adds more to this already crazy saga and it would seem they are messing with him. 

Furthermore , he would appear way too injury prone to play safety.

Like they said make him quit...but donʻt think he will as he has 3.249 reasons not to

1) Andrew Luck played safety on scout team in 2013(?), or maybe it was just as a body in camp. Either way, it's maybe noteworthy, but not indicative of anything.

2) Griffin basically explodes into a hundred little pieces every time he's hit. Why anyone would think he can actually play safety is a mystery to me. 

He did? Idk. I'm asking if that is true.

I remember it. I feel like it was during training camp, and I'm sure he was a no-contact player. I just don't remember if it was 2013 or 2014, and I've looked for a couple minutes and can't find it. It wasn't like he did it every day or anything, it was just for one set of drills or something like that.

Maybe they think by having him play safety they can give him a different perspective that will allow him to read defenses better and help him as a pocket passer ... just spit balling; can't really think of any reason playing him at safety makes sense.