Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safe to Say: 4-3, 3-4, neither Works

JColts72

Neither system has been working to shore up that D over the years. Is it the system,  the players, coaching or the management obtains? I feel it's all of them. Is it too much to ask for a tough physical D, as remain soft, no matter what system we have for years on end.

Colts "D" will do some "soul searching" and Pagano and the D coaches will need to hold people accountable for their inactions/ineptness.  There were bright spots but this game exploited many weaknesses that can be shored up with practice and coaching guidance. I believe we will see a much different, more motivated defense coming into the Jets game. Schemes work if you play hard and coach hard to make them work.

Colts "D" will do some "soul searching" and Pagano and the D coaches will need to hold people accountable for their inactions/ineptness.  There were bright spots but this game exploited many weaknesses that can be shored up with practice and coaching guidance. I believe we will see a much different, more motivated defense coming into the Jets game. Schemes work if you play hard and coach hard to make them work.

Dream on.

Doubt it. The offense won't put them in that bad of a position every week and they'll play some bad offenses, but I think that's basically what the D is going to look like against teams that run the ball well.

This is broken record syndrome of our poor D for years not being able to stop the Run. What is GM point of drafting players or signing FA players who can't do the job. When will their light bulb go on in the owners head to realize this.

Doubt it. The offense won't put them in that bad of a position every week and they'll play some bad offenses, but I think that's basically what the D is going to look like against teams that run the ball well.

honestly take out Tsylor's scrambles and the Bills running backs had less than 100 yards rushing on the Colts. I can live with that. Teams like the Steelers, Texans, or Pats that like to run in the Colts don't have QBs who will take odd and run for close to 50 yards a game. If you can hold their running backs to under 100 yards a game and their star back to under. 3.0 YPC(McCoys was 2.41 yesterday) and you will be in good shape against the run against those teams.

The only way the Colts defense doesn't get better is if it suffers lots of injuries.

Otherwise,   they will get better.

On one of the ESPN football insider shows, one former exec basically said defenses look so terrible the first few weeks of the season,  because (A) starters don't play much in the pre-season anymore,  and (B)  the amount of hitting has been cut way back from what was once allowed.

The upshot is that teams are still figuring things out the first few weeks of the regular season.   

The Colts defense will get better.    For me that isn't the question.     The question is......    HOW MUCH BETTER?!?

And for that one,  I have no idea.....    (at least,  not yet....)

The only way the Colts defense doesn't get better is if it suffers lots of injuries.

Otherwise,   they will get better.

On one of the ESPN football insider shows, one former exec basically said defenses look so terrible the first few weeks of the season,  because (A) starters don't play much in the pre-season anymore,  and (B)  the amount of hitting has been cut way back from what was once allowed.

The upshot is that teams are still figuring things out the first few weeks of the regular season.   

The Colts defense will get better.    For me that isn't the question.     The question is......    HOW MUCH BETTER?!?

And for that one,  I have no idea.....    (at least,  not yet....)

yep, I agree.  They will gel together, it will take time.  Yeah, practice is one thing, but game speed is another.  Ask any military veteran, they'll tell you that the more actual missions you go on, the better the team becomes.  Same can be said for a sports team, provided the coaching and fans give them time.  Yesterday's game was the first time the starters have really, truly played together in a game in over a year.  Let's not panick just yet.  Remember, theres been teams start 6-0 and end up 8-8 or worse

Any defense starting D'Qwell Jackson and Jerrell Freeman in the center is capped at below-average. 

This is singularly our biggest weakness. It is funny I feel our DL is coming along better but I guess we have to hope Irving and Moore bring something to the table. DQ and Freeman are not even making the plays they are supposed to, let alone cause havoc.

Otherwise, they will get better.

On one of the ESPN football insider shows, one former exec basically said defenses look so terrible the first few weeks of the season, because (A) starters don't play much in the pre-season anymore, and (B) the amount of hitting has been cut way back from what was once allowed.

The Colts defense will get better. For me that isn't the question. The question is...... HOW MUCH BETTER?!?

And for that one, I have no idea..... (at least, not yet....)

if that truly is the case, then why wasn't the bills defense playing bad too?

if that truly is the case, then why wasn't the bills defense playing bad too?

Because that's a top-3 defense.   Maybe the best in football.

It's not something that's true for all 32 teams.    Just most of them, including us....

Remember,  Buffalo has almost its complete defense coming back.

The Colts have 3 new DL,  a new LB in Cole and a new starting corner Butler and a new safety as well.    Lots of new players learning on the fly....

I crunched the numbers....  

In the 10 games outside the division, the Colts gave up 284 or 28.4

And in the three playoff games -- the games that really count -- the Colts gave up 68 points.  22.7.  

And that includes the blowout to NE.

So it's exactly what I said. The Colts defense was below average outside of the division. 

So it's exactly what I said. The Colts defense was below average outside of the division. 

No.   Actually,  it's not what you said.      You said 30.    I just posted two numbers,  neither of which are 30.

Plus....   have you gone to check how everyone else's stats look against their 10 toughest opponents?    Because that's the test you've given the Colts.    That's their averages against the best opponents.

How does everyone else look in the same test?

Because that's a top-3 defense.   Maybe the best in football.

It's not something that's true for all 32 teams.    Just most of them, including us....

Remember,  Buffalo has almost its complete defense coming back.

The Colts have 3 new DL,  a new LB in Cole and a new starting corner Butler and a new safety as well.    Lots of new players learning on the fly....

Agree...except on Butler heʻs been filling in for Toler when hurt for a few years now and should have been a lot better

Because that's a top-3 defense. Maybe the best in football.

It's not something that's true for all 32 teams. Just most of them, including us....

Remember, Buffalo has almost its complete defense coming back.

The Colts have 3 new DL, a new LB in Cole and a new starting corner Butler and a new safety as well. Lots of new players learning on the fly....

Buffalo also has new personnel, among them a starting QB, as well as, a new coaching staff bringing with them new schemes/systems. They're also learning on the fly and they're doing it alot better than the braintrust over at the 56th Street complex.

Buffalo also has new personnel, among them a starting QB, as well as, a new coaching staff bringing with them new schemes/systems. They're also learning on the fly and they're doing it alot better than the braintrust over at the 56th Street complex.

I was referring to the defense and only the defense.   So,  a new starting QB doesn't help matters.

Plus,  that new coaching staff is one headed up by Buddy Ryan and his staff.  So, a top defense is now married with a top coaching staff.

That's the difference.    Our staff -- no matter what you think of it -- does not have the talent that Buffalo has to work with.

Butler is a slot corner.....   he's not an outside corner....   and apparently they're not the same.

So itʻs the coachesʻs fault for not preparing him? Is he not the back-up if Toler or Davis goes down? He is getting paid to play and learn at practice....If he canʻt back-up then donʻt call him a back-up....maybe a sorry *** defensive back is more like it

So itʻs the coachesʻs fault for not preparing him? Is he not the back-up if Toler or Davis goes down? He is getting paid to play and learn at practice....If he canʻt back-up then donʻt call him a back-up....maybe a sorry *** defensive back is more like it

Not a question of preparing him....   it's just not his skill-set.

Not everyone is going to be great.    Or in this case,  even good.

When Toler goes down,  bad things happen to our offense.    Frankly, bad things happen when either of our staring Corners go down.     Our defense isn't there yet....     Hopefully soon.

outside of 2 runs, one a QB scramble for 31 yards.....they gave up 2.6 a carry, 90 yards on 34 carries outside those 2.  Buffalo did not run the ball well.....