Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mariota's Debut

wig

Curious to see what everyone expects. He's been hyped like crazy throughout camp so far, not having thrown any picks. I know a lot of people during the draft said he'll be a bust. I said then I'd be shocked if that happens.

If people are watching tonight I think he'll surprise you with how pro ready he is. People saying otherwise were talking heads that didn't watch him play.

Tonight is the first glimpse at the Colts biggest competition in the division over the next decade plus.

He's had an impressive camp.  I predicted Winston would be better this year, the Mariota would pass Winston from then on.  I stand by that.  And tonight, the game speeds up and the bullets fly for Mariota.  I want to see what he does, how he reacts in between the expected rookie mistakes.  I hope well, but not too well, because he will be much better next year.

He's had an impressive camp. I predicted Winston would be better this year, the Mariota would pass Winston from then on. I stand by that. And tonight, the game speeds up and the bullets fly for Mariota. I want to see what he does, how he reacts in between the expected rookie mistakes. I hope well, but not too well, because he will be much better next year.

All fair. Between him and Winston a lot of it has to do with whose line will step up. Winston will make more bad throws though, I think.

It's such a tough spot for me. Being an Oregon alumn and season ticket holder, this was the worst possible scenario for me. He might be my favorite athlete. All I can hope for is realignment!

He's been awful so far. He had a couple of nice throws, but got picked off on a screen, strip sacked, hasn't been able to elude pressure... But he's completing a lot of passes, too. I shouldn't say awful, but definitely not a great debut.

Awful? A couple bad plays but was put in 3rd and long consistently, with no protection. Definitely needed to step up in the pocket on the fumble but was on point when he had time.

Awful? A couple bad plays but was put in 3rd and long consistently, with no protection. Definitely needed to step up in the pocket on the fumble but was on point when he had time.

One of his two sacks was on first down, after enough time to either throw the ball or run. Pocket presence is subpar. And two turnovers leading to ten points in one quarter. 

I took back the "awful" part already. But again, not good.

One of his two sacks was on first down, after enough time to either throw the ball or run. Pocket presence is subpar. And two turnovers leading to ten points in one quarter. 

That was all against vanilla defenses to, Part of me wants the kid to succeed so we have a consistent challenge for the division for the next however many years we keep our core players together and healthy, But the realist in me says he don't have the mental toughness to keep his composure consistently under pressure, Now it was only 8 throws of course but it makes me think that when he goes up against a team for a full 60 minutes with a good defense its going to be ugly and not likely get much better.

I mean once you sense the pressure you still have to stand in the pocket and deliver a strike while taking a hit or scramble and not fold or make a bad play, I think many QB's who have not worked out over the years have eventually developed the ability to sense pressure but flip out once they sense it, That's what I think will be his hurdle long-term.

That was all against vanilla defenses to, Part of me wants the kid to succeed so we have a consistent challenge for the division for the next however many years we keep our core players together and healthy, But the realist in me says he don't have the mental toughness to keep his composure consistently under pressure, Now it was only 8 throws of course but it makes me think that when he goes up against a team for a full 60 minutes with a good defense its going to be ugly and not likely get much better.

I mean once you sense the pressure you still have to stand in the pocket and deliver a strike while taking a hit or scramble and not fold or make a bad play, I think many QB's who have not worked out over the years have eventually developed the ability to sense pressure but flip out once they sense it, That's what I think will be his hurdle long-term.

I think he'll be fine long term. Lots of sensationalism in this thread about him being a bust, or other suggestions that if I'm not impressed that I must have been expecting him to look like a seasoned vet, etc. Not at all. I'm simply saying he didn't have a good first outing. That's not surprising, nor does it mean that he'll have a terrible career.

Not good. At all. But, I wouldn't even say he was bad, either. He was absolutely awful on a couple of plays, but looked pretty damn good outside of that. He looked uncomfortable under chaos but the opposite with time.

All I'm saying is when he had a reasonable down and distance, he was solid.

Side point: Atlanta looks good all around. Defensive front, secondary, offensive line, receivers, Ryan was surgical... not great at RB, but two of their top guys were out with injuries. 

I was curious to see Coleman for Atlanta, but I saw that he was injured.

Side point: Atlanta looks good all around. Defensive front, secondary, offensive line, receivers, Ryan was surgical... not great at RB, but two of their top guys were out with injuries. 

No game planning though. If this continues in game 3, Matt Ryan will go in the first 3 or 4 rounds of fantasy drafts in most drafts.

Pocket presence is quickly becoming a lost art in college football.  A lot of college coaches who run the spread offenses just get superb athletes and tell their QB's to read their primary receiver and if covered take off.  

Mariota does look impressive to me so far. Selected Marcus over Winston in the draft. If both stay healthy and enjoy O-Lines that do not damage their psyches, than I feel Mariota has the edge because of his natural pocket QBing ability over Jameis. Seems as though MM will mature a lot faster than JW on a pro-level, IMO. Looks like he proved it a little bit tonight against the Rams defense. It'll be interesting to see how they both do in years to come. Mariota will definitely improve the AFC South.