Peyton is not Bored... and don't call him old. :P

Gramz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love The Sherrif...

I kinda like the idea of the true greats only having 1 ring (The Sherrif, The Old Gunslinger, The Golden Arm). There's a certain mysteria and rustic quality to those guys and I see it more and more with all the skeletons they keep finding in the Pats and 49ers closets.

I know Peyton dang sure wants another one though. The final years usually provide a newfound motivation, not that he wasn't motivated aka was bored before. See Favre from 2007-2009.

Love The Sherrif...

I kinda like the idea of the true greats only having 1 ring (The Sherrif, The Old Gunslinger, The Golden Arm). There's a certain mysteria and rustic quality to those guys and I see it more and more with all the skeletons they keep finding in the Pats and 49ers closets.

I know Peyton dang sure wants another one though. The final years usually provide a newfound motivation, not that he wasn't motivated aka was bored before. See Favre from 2007-2009.

lol. All those Qbs would trade in their mysteria?? and rustic quality for Joe's and Tom's four rings ...

lol. All those Qbs would trade in their mysteria?? and rustic quality for Joe's and Tom's four rings ...

Can anyone start a thread without you bringing in Brady or the Patriots.You sound like a 12 yo obsessed with some pop star,Guess what?Most of us don't care about Brady,Enough already,

office-michael-scott-close-door.gif

Can anyone start a thread without you bringing in Brady or the Patriots.You sound like a 12 yo obsessed with some pop star,Guess what?Most of us don't care about Brady,Enough already,

THIS

No they wont.

Manning in an interview even said his idol Marino has no rings and measuring with rings are not the right measurement of an individual player.

And I am sorry but Tom is not part of these discussion anymore.

No they wont.

Manning in an interview even said his idol Marino has no rings and measuring with rings are not the right measurement of an individual player.

He is right.

But no one was talking about rings as a measure of how great a QB is but legacy per BCs post (#2).

No they wont.

The interesting this is that if Peyton did have more, you all would be using that as proof for why he is the greatest....but since he doesn't, well...I guess it's not about that!

The interesting this is that if Peyton did have more, you all would be using that as proof for why he is the greatest....but since he doesn't, well...I guess it's not about that!

Rings or no rings Manning and Marino is and was better than Brady. A QBs greatness is not measured by rings no matter what you or anyone thinks. There are way too many variables in rings that are out of the QBs doing. Out of the 4 rings Brady has would he have them if not for a kicker or an interception? Would Manning have more if his kicker hit a couple of more kicks or the Colts special teams or defense didn't give up leads? Your concept that Brady is there greatest is flawed.

Rings or no rings Manning and Marino is and was better than Brady. A QBs greatness is not measured by rings no matter what you or anyone thinks. There are way too many variables in rings that are out of the QBs doing. Out of the 4 rings Brady has would he have them if not for a kicker or an interception? Would Manning have more if his kicker hit a couple of more kicks or the Colts special teams or defense didn't give up leads? Your concept that Brady is there greatest is flawed.

I have never once made the case that Brady is better than Manning because of his ring tally. But I don't exclude them as a part of the discussion either. This Brady/Manning debate has gone back and forth so many times over the years that you do have to take everything into account.

In 2004, Brady had the rings and Peyton had the stats...the popular narrative was that Brady was better. Then Peyton won his ring in 2006, and the discussion shifted to 'now Peyton has the stats AND the ring, he's better'. Then in 2007, Brady got the stats too, so the discussion shifted back in his favor. Going into the Superbowl in 2007 everyone said if Brady won he would be the greatest...he lost. Going into the Superbowl in 2009, everyone said that if Peyton won, he would be the greatest...he lost. Going into the Superbowl in 2011, once again everyone said that if Brady won he'd be the best...he lost. And again going into the Superbowl in 2013, the story was that if Peyton could win, he'd be the best...he lost. It's a back and forth depending on who is doing what at the time...and it's always been that way.

I have never once made the case that Brady is better than Manning because of his ring tally. But I don't exclude them as a part of the discussion either. This Brady/Manning debate has gone back and forth so many times over the years that you do have to take everything into account.

In 2004, Brady had the rings and Peyton had the stats...the popular narrative was that Brady was better. Then Peyton won his ring in 2006, and the discussion shifted to 'now Peyton has the stats AND the ring, he's better'. Then in 2007, Brady got the stats too, so the discussion shifted back in his favor. Going into the Superbowl in 2007 everyone said if Brady won he would be the greatest...he lost. Going into the Superbowl in 2009, everyone said that if Peyton won, he would be the greatest...he lost. Going into the Superbowl in 2011, once again everyone said that if Brady won he'd be the best...he lost. And again going into the Superbowl in 2013, the story was that if Peyton could win, he'd be the best...he lost. It's a back and forth depending on who is doing what at the time...and it's always been that way.

Only in the heads of those who use rings as their measure of greatness. IMO the greatest QB was Sammy Baugh. He played QB, kicker and defense. In 1943 he lead the league in passing, interceptions and punting. He had one game he threw for 4 TDs and had 4 interceptions. Now does he get a mention? No.

I can not agree with you.  Brady and the pats have many deep runs in the playoffs where a bounce or two could of resulted in more rings.  Its not like the Pats only won 4 and never came back.   There have some close wins but close losses, something one can not really say is true of the other 31 teams in the past 15 years

Only in the heads of those who use rings as their measure of greatness. IMO the greatest QB was Sammy Baugh. He played QB, kicker and defense. In 1943 he lead the league in passing, interceptions and punting. He had one game he threw for 4 TDs and had 4 interceptions. Now does he get a mention? No.

No but he should, he is very high on my list too.  Its sad that folks do not remember the greats.

Good point here. I think with all sports, championships are the ultimate goal/prize and in particular with the QB position, his ability to lead his team to championships is a big measuring stick. Some weigh it more heavily than others but it has always been that way. A Qb's complete body of work is the way to go IMO as stats are a function of team as well so really you have to look at everything when a career is completed and then go from there. I have always said that all any player can be is the best of his generation and from there who the greatest is up for debate. Very hard to compare different eras but players within an era can be compared more accurately and fairly IMO.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/For-Manning-change-is-good/8bcb93ef-15f5-41e0-99af-e3be7fdb162c

"I can tell you one thing I am not: I am not bored."

Peyton Manning

Change is Good.  At 39 there are areas where he knows he can improve, just don't use the word "older" to refer to him.   :)

Its gonna be fun to watch Peyton and the new offense.  Heard some stuff on the NFLN this am on total access about the how the Broncos want to morph the offense.  With Peyton's age hopefully the new offense will allow him to play another 2-3 years.  With his mind and football savvy he will still command a very potent offense and with the threat of his passing game, he can at anytime be able to switch to a pass when needed, so the D's will still have to be honest.

Yah its gonna be fun to watch.  Glad for Peyton

Do Pats fans have to derail every Peyton thread? Peyton is definitely in their heads, much like the Yankees are in Red Sox fans' heads, lol :). I still feel Brady plays bigger than Peyton in key moments but I also feel Peyton has been surrounded by coaches who never made as good adjustments like Belichick has done in game and entire game planning, just my two cents.

Any of you here come to work where you don't feel like giving 100% on a certain day with other things on your mind? It happens. I have been with my current employer for 14 years and would be lying if I did not have those days. New things to learn and the challenges that come with it as a software consultant is what keeps me going.

So, I think it is a good thing that Peyton is pushed out of his comfort zone to learn new nuances of Kubiak's system, IMO. The only thing Peyton cannot beat is father time should an injury like last year happen and hopefully we get to see all marquee QBs healthy and duking it out for the AFC title.

Please everyone, lets focus on Peyton in this topic.

I am very happy to see he is fired up and I would expect nothing else from him. Cant wait to see him play this year.

Sorry got carried away, I modified my post. 

Yah its gonna be fun to watch Peyton, hope he can stick around another 3 years.   With his mind and football savvy Peyton will always be a threat to pass and will keep Ds honest.  It will be tons of fun to follow the Broncos this year.

Sorry got carried away, I modified my post. 

Yah its gonna be fun to watch Peyton, hope he can stick around another 3 years.   With his mind and football savvy Peyton will always be a threat to pass and will keep Ds honest.  It will be tons of fun to follow the Broncos this year.

Yes, I think Denver will be the most interesting team to watch with the new offense and coaching staff. This will only be the second time in Peyton's career that he has been asked to run a different offense other than the Indy offense. It will be fun to see it progress.

Because there is no true definition of the criteria that determines the greatest.  And when you pull out the pertinent numbers... how do you tell?

QB comparison - Career

Record   CMP %     TD    INT     Rate       QBR

Tom Brady                 160-47-0   63.5       392   143     95.9       72.25

Peyton Manning        179-77-0   65.5       530   234     97.5       80.13

Dan Marino                147-93-0   59.4      420   252     86.4        N/A

Playoffs - Career

Record    Cmp %     TD     INT   Rate

Tom Brady                21-8        62.9        53     26     89.0

Peyton Manning      11-13       64.0        38     24      88.5

Dan Marino               8-10       56.0        32     24      77.1

And how much did the QB win for the team, and how much did the team win for the QB?  The debate wil go on forever, and people will be biased toward 'their guy'.

Now, let's focus on Kubiak / Peyton...   not other teams QB's.

I find it amazing that some of you still want to argue Brady/Manning. Especially with people it's obvious you won't be convincing that they're wrong and you're right.

Blame me. I started this thread.

IT was in no way intended to be another comparison thread. It was about Peyton and how he is approaching and embracing yet another change and how he feels about it and how he's dealing with it.