Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle Saying No Way On R Wilson/R Wilson Contract (Merge)

dw49

It's the only argument that matters..

Not even close.

He may be the better QB and have better stats, but I'm sure he would trade all of those wins and records for a ring.

There is no maybe about it. Marino was the better Qb than those listed and many others that happen to have a ring.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may be the better QB and have better stats, but I'm sure he would trade all of those wins and records for a ring.

I'm sure he would. But that doesn't change the fact the he was better than a whole bunch of qbs that have rings. A superbowl is a team accomplishment, not an individual one

Yeah, he's the better QB..

But I'm saying.. Dan Marino would rather have a ring on his finger over all the records he broke..

You also said that having a ring was the only argument that matters when comparing Qbs, which is completely false. Marino may prefer to have a ring over some of his stats, but I doubt he would trade his HOF career for a ring and the career of Mark Rypien.

I will start out by saying that I think he will get a contract from them down the road but he will be tagged 1 or 2 years first.

I think Seattle's current team would have been successful with any average QB in the league. Heck even a few of the backups in the league would have had a really good shot at taking that team to the playoffs.

1) They rely HEAVILY on their defense to limit points and yards. Wilson rarely is passing from behind. Look up QB stats on playing even, ahead, and behind. The further you fall behind, the more likely you are to throw picks as it's an obvious passing situation and you have to force tight throws.

Wilson's stats to give you an idea on how big of a deal playing ahead versus behind is:

2014:

Ahead by 1-8 points: 113.5

Ahead by 9-16 points: 93.7

Ahead Rating: 102.0 

Tied: 97.5

Behind by 1-8 points: 87.3

Behind by 9-16 points: 80.3

Behind Rating: 85.3 (9 of his 12 picks came while playing from behind)

2) They rely heavily on their running game/Marshawn Lynch. This makes things easier for Wilson in the passing game.

He's still a great QB but if I'm Seattle, I'm wondering if this team can thrive without him or if they can still thrive with him minus some of that defensive talent. 

Yeah, he's the better QB..

But I'm saying.. Dan Marino would rather have a ring on his finger over all the records he broke..

Not sure about that. Would he be in the HOF? Would he have numerous endorsements ala Weight Watchers and be on CBS? Would he have made the same type of money? Personally if I HAD to choose (I wouldn't want to)....but I would take the HOF career over a SB any day of the week. Both can be related to team accomplishments but I would take best ever over best in a season any day. I'm sure he would possibly liked to had success with both ala Peyton Manning but it didn't work out. He made it to the SB...imo he is a SB caliber qb and just because he didn't win the ultimate ring doesn't discredit ANYTHING in my eyes. I wouldn't trade my career as Dan Marino to be Rob Johnson, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien etc etc....

I will start out by saying that I think he will get a contract from them down the road but he will be tagged 1 or 2 years first.

I think Seattle's current team would have been successful with any average QB in the league. Heck even a few of the backups in the league would have had a really good shot at taking that team to the playoffs.

1) They rely HEAVILY on their defense to limit points and yards. Wilson rarely is passing from behind. Look up QB stats on playing even, ahead, and behind. The further you fall behind, the more likely you are to throw picks as it's an obvious passing situation and you have to force tight throws.

Wilson's stats to give you an idea on how big of a deal playing ahead versus behind is:

2014:

2) They rely heavily on their running game/Marshawn Lynch. This makes things easier for Wilson in the passing game.

He's still a great QB but if I'm Seattle, I'm wondering if this team can thrive without him or if they can still thrive with him minus some of that defensive talent. 

I think it kind of works hand in hand. He doesn't turn it over much...keeps the defense in good position. The defense helps him by keeping the game close and getting turnovers. One thing that your discounting though is how great of a scrambler/runner Wilson is. IMO which might not be much he is the best running qb in the league. He is EXTREMELY elusive and picks up many big first downs etc with his legs. He also throws a nice deep ball....works very well off that play action. Could Seattle find another qb...sure....an Alex Smith style qb could probably work...but you would lose that big play ability imo....run/deep ball throw guy. I really feel like its a perfect fit as it is. Doesn't mean he needs to be the highest paid qb...but it works...and you pay for what works.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark Brunell on Russell Wilson's contract situation in Seattle: "Is he as good as Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? No, not yet. But he has earned the right to get paid. ... Young quarterbacks get big deals, and that's just simply how it works."

2014:

Wilson is 0-7 in games where his D gives up 25 points or more. Yes, the running game and D is a HUUUUGGGGGE factor in their W-L record. However, he is a great fit for the offense they run. He has several intangibles from leadership to playing well in key moments but since he has to play big in fewer key moments, his value is harder to quantify.

But if the formula works for the team, why change it? But when it comes to valuing QB in terms of $$$$$, that is when the issues surface.

Given the TV contracts the NFL enjoys however, pay the man at least $18 mil. per year. 5 yrs $90 mil. is a minimum with half of it guaranteed, IMO, or the Seahawks will be in trouble. 

Given the TV contracts the NFL enjoys however, pay the man at least $18 mil. per year. 5 yrs $90 mil. is a minimum with half of it guaranteed, IMO, or the Seahawks will be in trouble. 

Hard not to pay him at least at the deal Tannyhill just signed.

You guys are dreaming. I'm pretty sure Russell Wilson wants to be one of the highest paid QBs in the league, if not the highest paid. I don't think $18-19m/year is going to get it done. I wouldn't even call it a starting point. I think $21m is the absolute floor, and that would require at least $70m guaranteed.

With the cap getting ready to hit $160m (at least $155m in 2016), I think there's at least five teams that would offer Wilson $25m/year and $75m in the first three years, fully guaranteed. The Jaguars, Browns, Bengals and Chargers are all at least $17m under the cap in 2015, and will have plenty of room in 2016. The Rams, Bears and Texans could get there. I don't think Wilson will ever hit free agency, but a franchise tag in 2016 would be about $25m. The market is pretty obvious.

You guys are dreaming. I'm pretty sure Russell Wilson wants to be one of the highest paid QBs in the league, if not the highest paid. I don't think $18-19m/year is going to get it done. I wouldn't even call it a starting point. I think $21m is the absolute floor, and that would require at least $70m guaranteed.

With the cap getting ready to hit $160m (at least $155m in 2016), I think there's at least five teams that would offer Wilson $25m/year and $75m in the first three years, fully guaranteed. The Jaguars, Browns, Bengals and Chargers are all at least $17m under the cap in 2015, and will have plenty of room in 2016. The Rams, Bears and Texans could get there. I don't think Wilson will ever hit free agency, but a franchise tag in 2016 would be about $25m. The market is pretty obvious.

It's obscene to me for anyone to think they're worth that kind of money. Smh

$19 mil./year can get it done if it is for a 8 year deal, IMO. I do agree that the guaranteed money might be closer to what you said.

8 years $152 mil. with $70 mil. guaranteed might actually be beneficial for the Seahawks giving them flexibility over the years.

$19 mil./year can get it done if it is for a 8 year deal, IMO. I do agree that the guaranteed money might be closer to what you said.

8 years $152 mil. with $70 mil. guaranteed might actually be beneficial for the Seahawks giving them flexibility over the years.

Obviously, I don't know anything. But total value isn't the major measuring stick on contract, yearly average is. If Wilson wants the Seahawks to validate his presumptive status as a top notch QB, $19m/year isn't the target. That's Dalton/Tannehill money, and I think Wilson believes he should be paid on an Aaron Rodgers level, given how bad Seattle was before him, how much he means to that team, etc. I think he's felt slighted since college, and finally wants someone to acknowledge him.

We'll see. I think they'll get it done before the season starts, but who knows...

I didn't realize Tannyhill only gets a MAX  of 16 mill per year. What I was thinking was Wilson can't possibly get any less than 19-20 per year. 21-22 as you say is probably the least they negotiate at.

Makes me wonder how much the organization thinks their winning is due to Wilson alone

Lynch won't be there forever & I seem to recall RW winning that NFC Championship Game in OT pretty much with a precision drive when it mattered most. Pete Carroll lost that game with play calling more than RW did IMO.  

If the owner offered me the $10mill he is possibly offering I would take it in a heartbeat--fighting over the extra $10m is greedy.

And as for guys like Dalton and Cutler--they should be paying for the privilege of being in the NFL

You get you're most money in your second contract. GMs are looking for any reason to make you take a pay cut. He does have 1 SB ring under his belt & he deserves to be compensated for it. This "honor" to play in the NFL business only works up to a point. Wilson is just as significant as Lynch is.  

Every topic discussion turns into Brady vs this quarterback, this quarterback vs Brady. It gets old comparing him to every quarterback in existence. We get it already. 

haha  I read Bogie & you're not wrong. AMF is just devoted to Brady. There's no shame in loyalty. AMF is consistent which is commendable. It doesn't both me at all. 

Wilson is 0-7 in games where his D gives up 25 points or more. Yes, the running game and D is a HUUUUGGGGGE factor in their W-L record. However, he is a great fit for the offense they run. He has several intangibles from leadership to playing well in key moments but since he has to play big in fewer key moments, his value is harder to quantify.

But if the formula works for the team, why change it? But when it comes to valuing QB in terms of $$$$$, that is when the issues surface.

Plays well in key moments? Like throwing 5 interceptions in the NFC championship game and costing Seattle another SB with a game ending pick? Wilson is the teflon QB if there ever was one.

It's obscene to me for anyone to think they're worth that kind of money. Smh

It does man a person raise an eyebrow & wish they had that kind of access to that kind of cash. I will admit that it's crazy sure. It is. Like Superman said though it's the going rate for franchise QBs. 

Great work if you can find it. RW is the perfect face of a franchise though. He will never embarrass his boss [Paul Allen] or head coach [Pete Carroll] & that's crucial. 

Numbers never were my strong suit, but this contract will get worked out. A great community leader for the Pacific NW & a field general who almost always makes good decisions with the ball will always get paid in the end.  

Plays well in key moments? Like throwing 5 interceptions in the NFC championship game and costing Seattle another SB with a game ending pick? Wilson is the teflon QB if there ever was one.

This past post-season really hurt him in terms of the new deal he wants. Both the Packers and Pats forced him to play from the pocket and he was awful save for the few lollipops he hit to Matthews before the Pats benched Arrington in favor of Butler.

Yes.

I lean toward him getting the big contract but he does have a touch of "buyer beware" attached to him. He is not a pocket passer and depends on his legs to be an effective QB. That 5'11" statue just doesn't bode well for him to be a great QB from the pocket. Teams usually figure out how to better defense QB's that break the pocket . Maybe he can learn ? I guess Brees did it.... He also has the "stigma" surrounding him that it's the defense and running game that makes Seattle so good and him better.

On the other hand , I agree with you that he "more often than not" comes up big in clutch situations. He also is a good locker room guy , has smarts , is a hard worker and has a major league arm. 

I lean toward him getting the big contract but he does have a touch of "buyer beware" attached to him. He is not a pocket passer and depends on his legs to be an effective QB. That 5'11" statue just doesn't bode well for him to be a great QB from the pocket. Teams usually figure out how to better defense QB's that break the pocket . Maybe he can learn ? I guess Brees did it.... He also has the "stigma" surrounding him that it's the defense and running game that makes Seattle so good and him better.

On the other hand , I agree with you that he "more often than not" comes up big in clutch situations. He also is a good locker room guy , has smarts , is a hard worker and has a major league arm. 

He makes a lot of plays from outside the pocket, and that mitigates the lack of height. I just don't agree that he's not a pocket passer; I think he's a very good pocket passer. He has good footwork, he works progressions, he can make throws in the middle of the field and up the seams, he understands timing based passing (even if he has some work to do there), etc. He's an escape artist by necessity, not just because he can't be effective from the pocket. The Seahawks don't have very good pass protection, so he has to scramble.

They also do a lot of scheme-based rollouts and pass options off of read plays, which is smart and again makes up for his size and takes advantage of his legs. 

I'm usually one of the first to point to passing production to illustrate a QB's impact. Yards, yards/attempt, TDs, completion percentage, etc. Wilson's passing yardage doesn't really typify a franchise QB, especially not a pocket QB. But the Seahawks have one of the weakest receiving corps in the league, and they love to run the ball. And most importantly, I firmly believe that if you take Wilson off of that team, they fall apart. He gets a ton of help, and I'm certainly not downplaying the impact of that defense, but he's just the perfect fit for that team. He's like the QB version of Pete Carroll; they even talk the same. If we were to try to quantify his value above replacement, I don't think anyone outside of the top 4-5 guys in the league would work with that team, and Manning, Brady and Brees would require a lot of change.

He makes a lot of plays from outside the pocket, and that mitigates the lack of height. I just don't agree that he's not a pocket passer; I think he's a very good pocket passer. He has good footwork, he works progressions, he can make throws in the middle of the field and up the seams, he understands timing based passing (even if he has some work to do there), etc. He's an escape artist by necessity, not just because he can't be effective from the pocket. The Seahawks don't have very good pass protection, so he has to scramble.

They also do a lot of scheme-based rollouts and pass options off of read plays, which is smart and again makes up for his size and takes advantage of his legs. 

I'm usually one of the first to point to passing production to illustrate a QB's impact. Yards, yards/attempt, TDs, completion percentage, etc. Wilson's passing yardage doesn't really typify a franchise QB, especially not a pocket QB. But the Seahawks have one of the weakest receiving corps in the league, and they love to run the ball. And most importantly, I firmly believe that if you take Wilson off of that team, they fall apart. He gets a ton of help, and I'm certainly not downplaying the impact of that defense, but he's just the perfect fit for that team. He's like the QB version of Pete Carroll; they even talk the same. If we were to try to quantify his value above replacement, I don't think anyone outside of the top 4-5 guys in the league would work with that team, and Manning, Brady and Brees would require a lot of change.

We don't agree on his effectiveness from the pocket. It appears to me that he busts it very quickly which is probably due to his lack of height .. seeing the field. Yes he has the arm to operate from there (which I previously stated) but I don't think I've seen what you have above regarding him as a "pocket passer." 

We don't agree on his effectiveness from the pocket. It appears to me that he busts it very quickly which is probably due to his lack of height .. seeing the field. Yes he has the arm to operate from there (which I previously stated) but I don't think I've seen what you have above regarding him as a "pocket passer." 

I agree. I think he struggles mightily from back there. I remember Doug Flutie saying years ago that small Qbs have to always fight for their keep while the big guys have to lose the job. When you look at Cam Newton for example, he looks the part. Big guy, unbelievably athletic, speed, strength, solid arm. You can see why Carolina did not hesitate to pay him. They believe in a big upside. With Wilson, there is still a question there. I agree with Superman that Carroll and that staff has put the perfect team around him but he does make it go as well. But in the end, you have to be able to beat teams from the pocket consistently and this past post-season exposed him IMO.

I agree. I think he struggles mightily from back there. I remember Doug Flutie saying years ago that small Qbs have to always fight for their keep while the big guys have to lose the job. When you look at Cam Newton for example, he looks the part. Big guy, unbelievably athletic, speed, strength, solid arm. You can see why Carolina did not hesitate to pay him. They believe in a big upside. With Wilson, there is still a question there. I agree with Superman that Carroll and that staff has put the perfect team around him but he does make it go as well. But in the end, you have to be able to beat teams from the pocket consistently and this past post-season exposed him IMO.

I guess one can argue that he came up big in the waning minutes of the GB game. But one could also say then first 58 minutes mean something and he would have "stunk them " out of the playoffs if not for a boneheaded special teams play.

I guess one can argue that he came up big in the waning minutes of the GB game. But one could also say then first 58 minutes mean something and he would have "stunk them " out of the playoffs if not for a boneheaded special teams play.

Yeah, the STs play or the fact that GB DB slid down on the 5th pick when he could have ran for a ton of yardage. But in the end Wilson and Lynch made the plays to win. You know I was watching their final drive before OT and Lynch ran it in from close to the 30, breaking tacklers and carrying guys into the end zone. Really makes that pass play call in the SB look even worse.

Yeah, the STs play or the fact that GB DB slid down on the 5th pick when he could have ran for a ton of yardage. But in the end Wilson and Lynch made the plays to win. You know I was watching their final drive before OT and Lynch ran it in from close to the 30, breaking tacklers and carrying guys into the end zone. Really makes that pass play call in the SB look even worse.

And hard to believe Seattle had a "clock issue" with 2 minutes and 2 or 3 timeouts starting from midfield. They only ran about 4-5 plays that involved the clock running when the play was completed. I think both Carroll and Belichick were having trouble figuring out what to do with the clock management in those waning moments. Really incredible tough decisions facing both coaches regarding the time.

Yes.

Sometimes. But it has always perplexed me on how some athletes receive tons of criticism for a poor performance/moment while others walk away with nary a bad word said about them. Considering what happened in the NFC championship game and SB, there was hardly a peep about Wilson's performance.

They run a lot of shotgun and probably more play action than anyone else, so traditional drop back passing isn't always on display. But I think he's fine in the pocket. He's not Matt Ryan or anything, but you said he's not a pocket passer, which I don't agree with.

No big. Minor disagreement.

Sometimes. But it has always perplexed me on how some athletes receive tons of criticism for a poor performance/moment while others walk away with nary a bad word said about them. Considering what happened in the NFC championship game and SB, there was hardly a peep about Wilson's performance.

The noise was mostly about the terrible play call. I don't think it was a bad pass at the end of the SB, just an ill-advised decision. The whole thing was a quick read, and the DB made a great play while the receiver didn't quite do his job. Bad situation all the way around, but I don't put that on Wilson exclusively, though obviously he threw it.

He was bad in the NFCCG, but made big plays down the stretch to help them win. And he has several games on his resume where he performed well at the end of the game. 

And hard to believe Seattle had a "clock issue" with 2 minutes and 2 or 3 timeouts starting from midfield. They only ran about 4-5 plays that involved the clock running when the play was completed. I think both Carroll and Belichick were having trouble figuring out what to do with the clock management in those waning moments. Really incredible tough decisions facing both coaches regarding the time.

They both mismanaged the clock, IMO. 

The noise was mostly about the terrible play call. I don't think it was a bad pass at the end of the SB, just an ill-advised decision. The whole thing was a quick read, and the DB made a great play while the receiver didn't quite do his job. Bad situation all the way around, but I don't put that on Wilson exclusively, though obviously he threw it.

He was bad in the NFCCG, but made big plays down the stretch to help them win. And he has several games on his resume where he performed well at the end of the game.

Sure, but when has the sports media really cared about the subtleties of a play? Many QB's would have been treated very poorly after those two games.

They run a lot of shotgun and probably more play action than anyone else, so traditional drop back passing isn't always on display. But I think he's fine in the pocket. He's not Matt Ryan or anything, but you said he's not a pocket passer, which I don't agree with.

No big. Minor disagreement.

I see what you are saying . I did misspeak when I said "he's not a pocket passer." Seattle does not run an offense that calls for him to do all his work outside the pocket . Thus you are correct. What I should have said is IMO he is not an elite or top notch QB when you consider just his work from the pocket. 

We agree on that one.

Carroll did not mismanage. He was in the perfect situation with a minute to go and a timeout at the 5. He was smart to let the clock run down but then the pass. Had he run there and scored, the Pats have like 25 seconds. If Lynch gets stopped you burn the TO and throw on third, run on fourth.

I see what you are saying . I did misspeak when I said "he's not a pocket passer." Seattle does not run an offense that calls for him to do all his work outside the pocket . Thus you are correct. What I should have said is IMO he is not an elite or top notch QB when you consider just his work from the pocket. 

I wouldn't disagree with that, necessarily. My point initially goes right along with that, actually. He's a tough one to judge, because he doesn't run the prototypical drop back offense, but I think it's a mistake to label him as a read option / running QB. Whatever limitations are present in his game, the scheme and his playmaking ability make up for them in most cases. He's the only QB in NFL history -- including great pocket guys and great scrambling guys, and guys who could do both (like Steve Young) -- to throw for 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in the same game. 

He has a good grasp of pro concepts, considering his pocket limitations and height, but he also capitalizes on his ability to run, and is very good at making throws on the run. He's always going to be short for a QB, but he mostly makes up for it.

I'm also operating under the assumption that he's going to get better. If he's stalled out, or worse, regresses, then everyone's in trouble.